Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Appearances are deceiving  by frodo16424

Ch 2 Suspicions

As they traveled, the elves could see the elderly edain was having a problem seeing due to the reflection of Anar on the snow. However, when they stopped for the midday rest, Ragnor searched and found a small piece of wood. Taking a small knife from his belt, he whittled two slits in the wood. He then carved an arch in the bottom near the center. He took two thin strips of deerskin, bored holes into the ends of the wood, inserted the two strips, and fastened them. As the elves watched, he put it on so as to cover his eyes, and fastened the thongs at the back of his head.

“Now I c’n see,” said Ragnor. “Learnt’ from a trader o’ the far North.”

As they traveled, Legolas watched the human as they rode. He noticed the human unconsciously shifted his weight as he rode. The elf realized Ragnor was one who was used to riding. This was another piece to the puzzle that was Ragnor. He mentally shook himself. After all, Ragnor never claimed he never rode a horse.

As Anar set, the travelers stopped for the evening. Legolas set a ring of stones for the fire, while Elladan and Elrohir decided to see if they might find signs of small game. Ragnor gathered wood for the fire. He watched as the two elves struck a trail of rabbit tracks. Silently they tracked their quarry - two fat rabbits.

Legolas was also watching. Suddenly he saw a small wicked smile upon the human’s face. That immediately caught his attention. He saw the human search the ground. Legolas could see nothing except snow.

Just as Elladan loosed the arrow, there was the sound of a stick breaking. He jerked and the arrow sailed over the rabbits. There was silence for a moment, then came a quavering voice as Ragnor tried to apologize. “Oh, dear! I am sorry, My Lord. I dinna mean ta make ye miss. I jus’ wanted ta see them coneys.”

Legolas, having seen and heard everything, bowed his head as a smile graced his face. After having gotten control of himself, he looked up. The human was still apologizing, and the twins were assuring him there were no hard feelings.

Ragnor was ahead of the twins as they headed back to the fire. Ragnor caught Legolas’ eyes - and winked. The Mirkwood Prince began to have a suspicion as to who, or what, Ragnor really was. “You do like to live dangerously,” was his first thought. The second thought was, “This should prove to be..interesting.”

Dinner was over, they settled for the night. Legolas would have the first watch. Elladan and Elrohir had settled. Ragnor, however, took out a long slim pipe. He tamped some pipeweed into the bowl. Taking a stick from the fire, he proceeded to light it. He sat there smoking; apparently oblivious to the dark looks the two brothers were giving him.

Having finished his pipe, he emptied the ashes into the campfire. With that one simple act, Legolas knew for a certainty his suspicions were correct.

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List