Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Appearances are deceiving  by frodo16424

Ch 3 Nearing Rivendell

As they traveled, Legolas tried not to watch Ragnor too closely. He knew, though, that there was an evil mind behind the oh, so innocent eyes of the edain. He watched, waiting, knowing that the best was yet to come.

As Anar sought her bed, and before Idril made his way into the sky, the travelers stopped for the night. The camp was quickly set up as Ragnor and Legolas gathered firewood and the twins started to make supper.

“We need water. There is a small stream just a short distance. I will be back shortly,” said Elladan. He started to rise but Ragnor spoke. “If ye wish, master elf, I’ll be gettn’ it for ye. I c’n find the stream easy.” He picked up a large pot as he spoke.

“Aye, if you wish.” Elladan smiled, saying, “I thank you, Ragnor.”

Legolas looked at the twins, trying not to smile. “Do you believe it is wise to send him? I would not see anything go wrong.”

Elrohir scoffed at the Mirkwood prince. “We are only a day from Rivendell. What can go wrong? Nay, Ragnor will have no trouble. He will be back very shortly.”

Legolas merely shrugged, and returned to his blankets. He had seen a gleam in Ragnor’s eyes as the elderly man shuffled off..and it bode ill for the twin Elrondions.

The elves heard Ragnor as he bullied his way through the forest. As he approached the fire, he appeared to stumble. Before the twins were able to move, they were soaked as the pot of water poured over them, then continued on to put the fire out. Legolas was having difficulty holding back his laughter.

“Oh, my! I am so sorry, Master elves! I will dry you off! It was an accident, I tripped. Oh, dear!” Ragnor was contrite as he reached for his pack. However, in his haste, he ‘accidentally’ got Elladan’s. He grabbed the first article he could reach and wiped the water off Elrohir’s face. He then went over to Elladan.

“I apologize! I did not mean to trip, it just happened!” Ragnor wiped the water off Elladan’s face. Suddenly he realized he was using the Elf’s clean clothing. “Oh, dear! Oh, dear!” he became even more agitated and stuffed the wet articles back into the pack. Unfortunately, somehow he grabbed Elrohir’s pack instead, thus ensuring all the clothing would be wet.

In the meantime, Legolas decided the best place for him was anywhere but the camp. He stood watch in the branches of the trees, hoping the twins could not see him. Below, Ragnor was standing near the fire that Elladan had been able to revive, albeit with wood not quite dry. Elrohir had taken his wet tunic off and had set it near the fire. Elladan was not sure that was a wise thing to do. He had a feeling it could possibly wind up on fire with Ragnor around.

How could one elderly edain do so much in so little time? If one did not know better, one would think the spirit of Estel dwelt in the elderly human. Elladan smiled as he remembered the threats Estel had uttered, just before Ranger rejoined his patrol. It was not his fault  Estel had wound up in the river, soaking wet. Well, he thought, not entirely his fault-Elrohir had been just as guilty.

Elladan turned to Ragnor, and taking the pack from him, said, “We will be needing more wood. Mayhap you would gather some?”

Ragnor bowed and said, “Aye, I will do so.” He turned and left the clearing, glancing up at the Mirkwood Prince in the trees. Legolas gave a slight bow, favoring the human with a quick wink. He then turned and joined the twins at the fire.

“Is it safe to send him forth? I would not want to have to tell your Adar we misplaced a fellow traveler,” said Legolas. Elladan muttered that "Perhaps it might not be a bad idea for the edain to misplace himself." 

“He is in no danger this close to Rivendell,” responded Elrohir. Elladan was attempting to dry his clothing before Ragnor returned.

Suddenly all three could hear the sound of a very large animal as it crashed its way through the forest. Nearer and nearer it came, growling and snarling, snapping its way into the camp.

 





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List