Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Appearances are deceiving  by frodo16424

Ch 1 Travelers

Elladan, Elrohir, and Legolas were wet, tired, and heartily sick of the weather, which was typical of early winter. At first, it was a gentle rain that soon turned into a freezing rain, then into blowing, drifting snow. Their horses were weary, and were starting to stumble every now and then.

“By the Valar!” exclaimed Elladan, “This will be a blizzard soon. I, for one do not wish to be without shelter.”

“Aye, but I do not remember any near here,” replied Elrohir. “However, there is a small patch of trees about an hour from here. Mayhap there will be shelter to be found there.”

“Aye, I know the way. Estel and I have stayed beneath the trees many times on our journeys,” said Legolas.

As they rode down a small incline, they noticed smoke arising from a chimney atop a small cabin near the beginning of the forest. The windows showed a warm golden glow that beckoned to the weary travelers. As they approached, they could see a figure hurrying into the cabin with what appeared to be firewood.

They dismounted and knocked on the door. There was no answer, although they could hear someone moving around inside. They knocked harder and were rewarded when the door opened and revealed the figure of an agéd human.

He peered out, then seeing the three elves, said, “What do ye want? I dinna think none but fools be out in this weather.”

Legolas spoke in Westron, saying, “We are seeking shelter from the storm, grandfather. We are weary, and our horses are in need of rest.”

He peered at them and replied reluctantly, “O’course, ye’ll want sommat to eat. Take yer ’orses around back, ye’ll find the stable there. There be hay. Take care o’ ’em, then when ye come back in, I will ’ave sommat for ye t’eat.” Closing the door, he turned back into the cabin, muttering to himself.

The three friends did as instructed and led their steeds around to the rear of the cabin. There they found the stable, both warm and clean. The horses were brushed, watered and fed. The elves then returned to the cabin. As they entered, they could smell mouth-watering stew and biscuits.

The old man had set places at the table. “Sit! Sit! Eat yer food afore it gits cold. Now, why do elves travel in this weather?”

Legolas had the vague feeling he should know the human. It was like an itch one could not reach. He mentally gave himself a shake.

The human introduced himself as Ragnor, son of Marach. “I be here since ten winters ago. My wife and children perished in a plague. I left, ne’er looked back. Found this cabin, patched holes, built the stable.” He sighed, as though he were so weary.

Elladan and Elrohir felt sympathy for the human, alone for so long, with no companionship. Legolas said, “Mayhap you would come with us to Rivendell. You say nothing is keeping you here. Come with us, grandfather.”

Ragnor promised he would think on it. Quietly, he bid the elves good night, and retired to a small bedroom as the friends bedded down in front of the fire.

The storm had abated during the night, leaving a blanket of white sparkling in the light of Anar.

While Elladan and Elrohir were readying the horses for the next leg of their journey, Legolas was trying to persuade Ragnor to travel with them to Rivendell.

“You have said there is no one left for you. Come with us. I am sure Lord Elrond would welcome you. Please, say yes.” There was a note of concern in the elf’s voice.

Ragnor reluctantly agreed, saying, “If I not be happy, I will return. I ‘aven’t ‘ad much at do wit’ elves ‘n such. Yes, well, P’rhaps I will go wit’ you to this Ribbondall.”

Legolas smiled, and said, “Very well. Do you need help in packing? We will be leaving shortly. I believe you will be happy in Rivendell.” The Prince then left the small cottage and acquainted the twins with the news that Ragnor would be traveling with them.

If Legolas had looked back, he would have been surprised to see the human quietly laughing to himself as he straightened up and walked into the small bedroom. He did not seem so aged as he picked up a sword and made a small bundle of the few clothes that were there. He slid a small dagger in his boot. As he did so, he heard the door open.

“Ragnor, are you ready? We are ready to leave,” called Elladan.

“Aye, I be ready. I ‘ave everything I need.” As Ragnor exited the room, he again was bent over, carrying a pack as well as the sword.

“’Ere, you might s well ‘ave this, tis nothing I need,” said Ragnor, handing the sword to Elrohir. “Shall we be goin’ Master elves?”

Legolas brought the four horses, and the travelers mounted, leaving the shelter of the cozy cottage and headed out into the wintry landscape.

 





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List