Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

The next morning, Estel awoke and was confused by the bandages around his hands and one of his knees. He unwrapped them and went to the washroom to clean up, then put on clean leggings and a fresh shirt. He brushed his dark hair out of his eyes, then made his way toward the dining room. When he entered, Elrohir, Elladan and Gandalf were already seated at the table, along with 12 dwarves and a hobbit. Gandalf patted the chair beside him and grinned. Estel gave him half a smile and made his way toward the chair. Gandalf frowned when Estel seated himself in the chair without even making eye contact with him.

“Good morning Estel. It is good to see you.”

“Hello Gandalf”, Estel said softly.

“Do you have a hug for an old wizard?”

Estel smiled slightly and got up, disappearing into Gandalf’s strong embrace.

“I have missed you, child.”

“I missed you too.”

Gandalf was surprised when Estel did not pull away after a few moments.

“Are you alright, little one?” Gandalf asked worriedly.

Estel finally pulled away and looked up at Gandalf with tear filled eyes, nodding.

“Uh huh, I just really wanted a hug”, he replied sadly, his voice shaking.

“Well you can have one anytime from this old sorcerer!” Gandalf said happily, ruffling Estel’s hair.

Gandalf did not seem convinced that all was well with Isildur’s pint sized heir, but let the matter drop. Elrond arrived shortly after breakfast was served.

“Good morning, everyone. I trust you all slept well?”

“No bed compares to that of a bed in Rivendell!” Bilbo the hobbit declared.

Elrond smiled. He glanced over at Estel, who sat quietly picking at his biscuits. Ordinarily Estel chatted up a storm at meal time. He often needed to be reminded not to talk with his mouth full. But today he did not say a word, nor did he make eye contact with the Elven Lord. Making a mental note to speak with Estel after breakfast, Lord Elrond turned to his breakfast.

After the meal was through, each dwarf stood to thank Lord Elrond personally. Elrond tried to hurry them along to get to Estel before he left the room. But Gloin was insistent on holding his attention, and Estel quietly made his way from the room.

                                                           ~~**~~

Elrond pulled several bowls from the bureau and set them on the desk. He planned to have Estel assist him with sorting out the spilled herbs to dispose of those that were unusable. After setting everything up, he sat down and waited. Estel always came down to the healing room after breakfast. It had been that way since he was three years old. These were the times Elrond taught Estel to read and write, as well as extra lessons in subjects Estel was interested in. Elrond waited for 15 minutes. Estel was not usually much longer. They never had a set time, but Estel usually did not want to be separated from his foster father for much longer.

“Would you like to come with us Estel?”

Elrond glanced out the window and saw Elrohir down below in the garden. Estel sat quietly by the fountain. Elrond watched as Estel nodded and took Elrohir’s hand, following him toward the meadow. The Elven Lord sat in his chair and stared sadly at the supplies he had readied. He sat pondering how he’d gone wrong.

“I had to punish him. Surely he knows that. Why is he acting so strangely? I wish he hadn’t run off last night before I could make things right with him”, he thought sadly.

Elrohir returned later that afternoon as the weather began to decline. Storm clouds moved in and the elves were forced to light the wall sconces in the dining hall.

“Estel has opted not to eat lunch, father. I let him eat a few too many wild raspberries I’m afraid”, Elrohir said as he sat down. After the meal, Elrond pulled him aside.

“Did Estel say anything to you Elrohir?”

“About what, Ada?”

“I don’t know. About last night perhaps?”

“No. He did not say much. He has been acting strangely, perhaps he is ill?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

Elrond walked down the hall toward Estel’s bedroom. He walked in and scanned the room.

“Estel? Come out, we need to talk."

When there was no reply, Elrond pulled back the drapes to see if he was hiding again.

“Estel, please. I am not angry, child.”

There was still no reply. Elrond opened the wardrobe door and noticed Estel’s cloak and satchel were missing.

“Oh dear Elbereth, no!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List