Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

The storm grew worse, but Elrond refused to wait until morning to search for his beloved foster child. Gandalf also saddled up his horse and aided in the search.

Estel knelt on the ground in the forest. The rain poured down as he searched through the weeds. He held up the picture of the Athelas plant and continued searching. It soon became dark and Estel was having a harder time seeing. He sneezed a few times from the cold, but continued his search through the dense plants.

Elrond pushed plants aside with his walking staff and called to his missing child. “Please come back Estel. Where are you?”

Gandalf lit his staff and rode slowly through the thick brush. He did not understand a bit of what was going on, and it was beginning to anger him. Something very strange was happening with his favorite little heir. He rode forward, holding his staff out to light the way. He stopped suddenly when he heard a small sneeze.

“Estel? Are you out there?”

Gandalf wiped the rain form his eyes and dismounted.

“Estel?”

“Gandalf? Is that you?”

Gandalf pushed through the brush and found Estel kneeling on the ground.

“Thank Elbereth! Estel! What are you doing?! We have been searching everywhere!”

“I have to find it Gandalf!” 

“Find what?”

“The Etelas plant. I have to find it for Ada.”

“Etelas? Estel you need to come back with me.”

“Please Gandalf! I have to!”

Gandalf then noticed that it was not all rain on Estel’s cheeks, it was also his tears.

“We will search tomorrow, child, when it has stopped raining.”

Estel sniffled and nodded, defeated. Gandalf wrapped him in his cloak and led him to his pony. The rain had slowed to a drizzle, making it easier to see and hear. Gandalf lifted Estel up onto the pony, then climbed up and sat behind him.

“It has been quite a busy day and I have not spoken with Lord Elrond at great length. Would you care to enlighten me as to why you are out here in the middle of a storm, looking for a weed? And why I had to ASK you for a hug this morning?” Gandalf asked as they rode along.

Estel sighed. “I broke Ada’s plants. He was busy, so I could not ask him to help my dove. I tried to help her myself, but I did it wrong and I hurt her. She flew into Ada’s jars and broke them”, Estel said sadly.

“Ahh, I see. I’ll bet your Ada was a little angry then, eh?”

Estel sniffled and nodded. “He spanked me.”

Gandalf pulled Estel close and held him against him.

“Why were you looking for Athelas?”

“So Ada would not have to go away. He said he would have to go far away to find it. And-.”

Estel stopped, wiping the tears from his eyes with the back of his hand.

“And what child?”

“He is not my real father.”

Gandalf frowned. “Estel!”

“I know this. He told me.”

“Why are you telling me this now, Estel?”

“Because, what if Ada- what if I’m very bad and he wants me to go away?”

Gandalf was horrified. “No Estel! That would not happen!”

“It could! You should have seen how angry he was! I broke all his plants!”

“Oh Estel! Your father would never be so angry as to send you away! He loves you!”

Estel cried silently.

“Shh, everything will be well, child.”

“Gandalf? D-does Ada know I am gone?”, Estel hiccupped.

“Yes. He is out looking for you. He is very worried.

“He will be angry when we get back” Estel said, sniffling.

Gandalf wrapped his cloak tightly around Estel to keep him warm.

“Try not to worry about that, child. Your father loves you. He would not be unjustly angry with you.”

                                             ~~**~~

Lord Elrond returned and was saddened to see that no one had yet found Estel. He went to his chambers and changed into some dry clothes, then sat on his bed with his face in his hands.

“Oh Elbereth what have I done? Please let him be found”, he cried.

“Ada! Ada!” Elrohir hollered, entering the room. “Mithrandir is back! He has Estel!”

Elrond looked toward the ceiling and smiled, before following his son out the door.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List