Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

Elrond walked into the room and gasped. He looked around at the now empty shelves and scanned the room. He bent down, picking up the flattened remains of one of his rarest herbs.

“Estel!”

Estel cringed from behind the burgundy drapes that hung down the windows.

“Estel are you in here?!”

Elrond went over to the bureau and pulled out a large bowl. He began gathering what herbs could still be salvaged.

Estel waited for him to turn his back before quietly tip toeing to the door. Elrond saw the small blur out of the corner of his eye and used his elven speed to head him off.

“Estel did you do this?”

Estel stared at him fearfully. He had never seen his foster father angry before.

Elrond knelt down and grasped the six year-old by the shoulders. “Answer me!”

Estel cringed. “Yes, Ada” he said, on the verge of tears.

“How many times have I told you not to touch these plants, without my direct supervision?” the Elven Lord asked sternly.

Estel bowed his head. “Lots of times, Ada.”

Elrond sighed tiredly. “Come with me.”

Estel started trembling as Elrond led him over to one of the benches by the window.  The Elven Lord sat down and pulled Estel over his knee. The six year-old yelped as his foster father’s hand connected soundly with his bottom.

“I have told you time and time again how dangerous these herbs are Estel!” Lord Elrond lectured as he continued to discipline his wailing child.

"Do you have any idea how long it will take me to replace these medicines?! I will have to travel all the way to Lothlorien! Don’t you ever step foot in this room again! Do you understand me?!”

Just when Estel thought he could take no more, his punishment ceased and Elrond stood him on his feet. The Elven Lord moved to pull Estel into a hug, but the six year-old sniffled, and took off at a run as soon as his feet touched the floor.

Elladan came in moments later to find his father sitting on the window bench, rubbing his forehead tiredly with his fingers. He looked around the room shocked.

“Ada! What happened?!”

“Where were you Elladan?! You were supposed to be watching him!” the Elven Lord snapped.

“Estel? I was. I sent him to get ready for dinner. That is where I was.”

“He destroyed it all. Thousands of years of gathering the rarest of medicinal herbs! I gathered many of those herbs with Gil-Galad! They are imperative if we engage in battle, and there is little hope that I can find more.”

“Surely it is not that bad father. Some can be salvaged!”

Elrond sighed. “Perhaps. But now, we have guests to attend to. Let us go to dinner.”

~*~

Gandalf sat at the table with the dwarves and his hobbit friend. He eyed Lord Elrond suspiciously when he entered the dining room. He couldn’t help noticing the elven lord looked distressed. Gandalf patiently waited for little Estel to take his seat beside him. Usually Estel greeted him at the gates to Imladris, waving excitedly. It was understandable that he hadn’t yet seen him as they had much business to discuss with Lord Elrond upon their arrival late this afternoon. But as the meal wore on, there was no sign of the little heir. Gandalf had considered asking Elrond, but decided against it when he saw the elven lord glance at the empty chair with worry.

“Elrohir, would you be so kind as to check on Estel and find out what is delaying him?”

“Of course Ada.”

Elrohir left and returned moments later. “He is asleep, father. Do you wish me to wake him?”

“No Elrohir. That is fine. He has had an eventful day.”

After the meal, Elrond dismissed himself to his chambers and bid goodnight to his guests. Gandalf pulled him aside before he could leave.

“Is all well with Estel, Lord Elrond?”

“Why do you ask, Gandalf?”

“He is the heir to the throne of Gondor, that is why. And because he is usually at my heels during my entire stay.”

“He is well enough. We had a bit of an incident before dinner, but he is sleeping now.”

“An incident?”

“I really am very tired Gandalf. Could we possibly discuss this in the morn?”

“Of course. Goodnight.”

Elrond had resigned himself to spending much of the next day cleaning the mess that was his healing room. But he decided to sort through the herbs to see what could be salvaged before he went to bed. He walked in and was amazed at what he saw before him. The room was immaculate. The herbs had been picked up and placed on the desk. The glass had been swept up and the dirt scrubbed from the floor. Elrond looked down and saw a wad of cloth on the floor. He picked it up and was surprised to find a dove nestled inside. It had green paste smeared across it’s left wing.

“How did you get cast aside, little thing?”, he asked it. He believed the bird to be dead, but felt a feint heartbeat.

“Let’s see if we can fix you up, eh my sweet?”

Elrond set to administering the proper healing potion from what he had left of usable herbs. Elladan arrived shortly after.

“How is she, father?”

“She will live. Where did she come from?”

“Estel. He found her in the garden and refused to leave her. He tried to heal her, didn’t he?”

“It looks as such”, Elrond said softly.

“That is why he called for you during the council. He did not wish for her to die. I thought it was hopeless anyway.”

Elrond sighed. “I did not know that was why he called me.”

“Ada, are you all right?”

“Yes, I am just very tired. I think I will retire for the evening.”

“Goodnight father.”

Lord Elrond walked down the hall and decided to stop and check on Estel. He walked in and saw the little boy asleep on the bed. He was still completely clothed in his dinner attire. Upon further inspection, Elrond noticed the knees of Estel’s leggings were worn through. He saw small traces of blood, as well as on his hands, due to tiny cuts and abrasions.

“Ah, so it was you who cleaned my floor”, Elrond said, brushing some hair out of Estel’s eyes.

Elrond envisioned Estel on his hands and knees amidst the shards of glass, scrubbing the floor. It saddened him deeply. He sat down beside him on the bed and wiped away the nearly dry tears on Estel’s cheeks. It was quite obvious he’d cried himself to sleep.

“It pained me to discipline you so, my child. I hope some day you will realize it was because I love you. You carry the fate of all men, little Aragorn. I must ensure you are around to bear that burden.”

Elrond leaned down and brushed a kiss to Estel’s forehead. He gently removed Estel’s shirt and leggings and tended to his cuts and bruises. He then dressed him in a long nightshirt and tucked him in to bed.

“Goodnight child of Gondor.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List