Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

Estel wandered ahead of Elladan. He was spending the afternoon with him as Lord Elrond was called to a private council with some dwarves and a funny creature called a hobbit. Estel knew Mithrandir would be arriving as well, and looked forward to visiting with the old wizard.

“Estel! Slow down!”, Elladan hollered impatiently.

“Elladan! Come quick!”

Elladan hurried down the grassy path at the sound of his foster brother’s cry. He arrived in a clearing to see Estel cradling a large white dove.

“She’s hurt Elladan! Please make her better!”

Sure enough, the twin noticed a small amount of blood on the bird’s left wing. It had apparently been attacked by another animal. The injury had nearly proven fatal.

“Estel, there is little hope I’m afraid. I cannot heal her. She is too far gone”, Elladan said sadly, putting his arm around Estel’s shoulder.

“Ada will help her! We must find him!”

~*~

Estel ran back down the path, cradling the dove against his chest. He ran to his bedroom and laid her down on the satin down blanket on the bed, before setting out in pursuit of the elven lord.

“Ada! Ada!”

Lord Elrond turned as the door to the main council hall burst open.

“Estel!”

“Please come! I must show you something!”, the Edain child exclaimed, tugging on his foster father’s robe.

“Estel, you must not be in here. We are discussing important matters. I’m sorry child. I cannot play right now”, Elrond explained to him.

Gandalf smiled at the insistence in Estel’s voice.

“Please Ada! I have to show you!”

Elladan entered the hall abruptly, out of breath.

“Forgive the intrusion, father.”

“Elladan you are supposed to keep him out of here! This is a very important council!”, Elrond said sternly.

“I’m sorry. He won’t bother you again.”

Elladan picked Estel up and carried him from the room.

“No Elladan! He has to help her!”

“There is no hope for the dove Estel. I already told you. I know how much you love the animals here in Rivendell. But it is the way of life for them. I’m sorry you have to see it, especially in an animal as beautiful as a dove. I would help if I could. But you cannot bother Ada. He is very busy.”

“But-!”

“No buts. Run along and get ready for dinner. I need to change my clothes, and you look like you could use a bath. I’ll come get you after I have taken one as well.”

Estel pouted and returned to his bedroom. He changed into his dinner clothes before sitting beside the stricken bird.

“I will help you little dove. I will not let you die. I promise.”

~*~

Estel made a small nest out of some linen and cradled his dove inside. He tucked it under his arm and crept down the hall toward Lord Elrond’s healing room. He walked in and set the dove on the desk before lighting the wall sconces. Pulling the picture of the Athelas plant from his pocket, he examined all the medicinal herbs in the jars on the shelf until he found one that matched the picture. He stuffed the drawing back into his pocket and pulled the jar from the shelf before squinting his eyes in the dim light to find another herb with which Elrond had mixed the Athelas.

“I think it was this one”, he said softly to his cooing dove. He ground up the leaves into a paste, adding his own saliva, and then mixed them together.

“I think this is it, little birdy.”

Estel dabbed some of the paste onto the dove’s wing with his finger. The dove shrieked loudly and began flapping her wings wildly.

“What’s wrong?!”, Estel asked, alarmed.

He tried to restrain the flailing bird, only to have it flap harder, hopping about the table.

“No birdy! NO!”, Estel wailed as the bird crashed into the glass jars holding the medicinal herbs.

 The Athelas plant trimmings as well as the jars to three other herbs crashed to the floor, shattering and combining. Estel jumped back, crashing into the shelves as the bird flapped in his face. Jars fell from everywhere, shattering on the stone floor, emptying their contents. Estel finally subdued the bird and wrapped her back in her linen nest. He stood and stared at the condition of the room, horrified. Glass, liquid, dirt, and herbs covered the floor. He jumped, startled when he heard footsteps, and saw the doorknob start turn.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List