Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Before He Was King  by Hobbitsrfun

   

Elrond gazed at the sleeping child in his arms. It was funny he thought, that an Edain could be as beautiful as the fairest young elf. Although only two years old, Estel, as Elrond has named him, showed signs that he would grow to be a powerful leader. He was strong, having survived the attacks by the Orcs. Elrond looked back at the previous night when Elladan and Elrohir rode up, worn from battle. They had met Gandalf along the edge of the Misty Mountains during one of their missions, and had decided to escort him back to Rivendell, when they ran into a band of Orcs. Mithrandir had arrived just behind them with the little bundle in his arms.

This is Isildur’s heir?!”

“He is, Lord Elrond. Arathorn was slain by an arrow through the eye, I’m afraid. The lady Gilraen fell shortly after, but not before requesting we bring the child to you, in Rivendell. He is the only living heir to the throne of Gondor.”

“He is but a toddler, Gandalf!”

“I know this. I ask that he remains in Imladris with you. It is the only place where his heritage will remain hidden until he is grown enough to reclaim the throne. Gilrean knew this, Elrond. It was her dying wish that you protect him.”

Elrond sighed. He had agreed. He knew it was the only way for the race of man to prevail. Now he sat cradling the child after he had awoken from a nightmare. It had been hundreds of years since he had done this. He fondly recalled nights of sitting up with his twins Elladan and Elrohir. And even his little Arwen. He had forgotten how much he missed this. Even though the son of Arathorn was not his blood child, Elrond already felt a deep sense of protection and love toward him.

The years passed quickly. Estel grew, but was still much smaller than most of the elven children. This did not stop him from learning the ways of the elves. He adored climbing the trees of Rivendell, and nearly scaring his foster father into an untimely grave.

However, due to his un-acceptance by the other elven children, Estel remained shy, and spent most of his time with the Elven Lord of whom he adored.

When Estel had turned four, he was told that he was not of the Elven race. Although he had not been told of his true parentage, by age six Estel knew he had not been born to Lord Elrond. But he, as well as Elrond and his family insisted that this did not change things. Lord Elrond was Ada, and no one would ever change that. The fact that Estel was really Aragorn, son of Arathorn, king of Gondor would remain a secret for many more years, if Elrond could help it.

“Ada?”

Elrond looked up from his journal to see the dark haired child kneeling in the chair in front of his desk, smiling at him.

“Yes child?”

“What are you doing?”

Elrond smiled.

“I am recounting my thoughts into this journal so as to look back on them in the future.”

Estel looked at him confused. “Why?”

“They may be of use.”

“Why?”

“Because I remember a lot of things.”

“How?”

Elrond sighed. “Wouldn’t you like to go bother Elrohir for a while, Estel?”

“No. He doesn’t like it when I talk while he’s shooting at the trees.”

“I don’t think he means to shoot at the trees Estel. That just happens when he misses his target”.

“He misses a lot then”, Estel replied, popping his thumb into his mouth.

Elrond chuckled and ruffled the six year old’s hair.

“I’m bored Ada.”

“Well, why don’t we find something for you to do then?”, the Elven Lord laughed, pulling Estel onto his lap.

“Do you see this drawing?”

“It’s a pretty flower Ada.”

“Yes it is. It is a weed called Athelas. Can you say that?”

“Etelas.”

“Very good. Now, how about this? I will give you this picture, and you can go outside by the fountain and try to find me some. I need it for some of my healing potions. It is very difficult to find.”

“Yes!”

Estel giggled as he snatched the picture and ran out the door.

“Stay in the garden where I can see you from the window!” Lord Elrond called after him.

Elrond chuckled. He knew Estel would never find the plant. It was nearly nonexistent in the forests of Rivendell. They had collected it so often over the many years that now Elrond had to travel into the wild to gather more.

Elrond was afforded 20 minutes of peace before Estel wandered back in.

“I can’t find it Ada.”

“Ah well, we’ll just have to do something more productive then, won’t we?”

Estel grinned. He knew that meant Lord Elrond was going to teach him something.

“I’ll show you what we do with the Athelas plant, Estel. It is used to heal the most grievous injuries. But only if used correctly.”

Lord Elrond proceeded to explain to Estel the procedure for preparing the Athelas plant, and how to combine it with other herbs to suit the nature of the injury. He also explained the dangers of mixing the wrong herbs. Estel just watched on in quiet admiration.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List