Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 3 Making Plans

"Tavaro, welcome home," Aldeon stood up to embrace his brother, taking care not to jostle the injured arm. "How is the arm? Adar said that you have injured it."

Even before Tavaro was able to respond, Legolas chimed in. "The wound is very long, with lots of stitches."

Aldeon frowned. "That sounds serious."

"Do not listen to the bratling. It is nothing but a flesh wound and enough fuss has been made of it already. It certainly does not warrant being sent home because of it. Feren is being overly cautious, as usual," Tavaro said as he took his seat at the table.

"Keep in mind that any warrior who cannot perform at full capacity endangers all those around him. Feren did what any good commander would have done in the circumstances," Thranduil interjected. "Besides, in his report to me, he says that you are due for leave. Now is as good a time as any to take it."

"Does that mean you will be staying home for a while?" Legolas asked, looking at his brother in wide-eyed anticipation.

Tavaro regarded his little brother, and frowned. "It does look like you will have to put up with me for a while. Obviously, Feren does not want to see my face any time soon."

Legolas grinned so widely that Tavaro feared the child's face might split in half. "That means you will be able to do things with me!"

"Legolas, you must remember that Tavaro has an injury. I do not think he should be doing anything that might cause further harm to it," Thranduil said. "Now eat your meal before the food gets cold."

"I will help to take care of him," Legolas said earnestly. "I will not let him hurt it further."

The King arched a brow and both Aldeon and Tavaro laughed.

Tavaro reached out to tousle his brother's hair. "Why thank you, Legolas. My arm feels better already, knowing that you will be looking after me."

Legolas grinned. "I will help you cut up the venison. I do not think you can do it with only one arm."

"Ah, my little slave at work again," Tavaro sighed contentedly.

Aldeon smiled and shook his head. "I am beginning to feel jealous, Legolas. You have never offered to help me with my meal before."

Legolas looked up. "If you were injured, I would help you too. But I do not want you to be injured." He suddenly frowned and added, "I do not want any of my brothers injured."

"We will do our best to abide by your wishes, though we may have a difficult time convincing the orcs that they should not hack us to bits because our little brother wills it so," Tavaro said smiling.

"Tavaro, you should not make light of your brother's words. It is not easy to watch any of you return injured," Thranduil said.

Tavaro pulled Legolas to him in a brief hug. "I am sorry, Legolas, I do not mean to jest. You need not worry for us. Both Feren and I are quite capable. We have no intention of allowing the enemy to best us in any confrontation."

Legolas looked up at his brother and smiled, his apprehension reassured by the other's words. "Tell us about your patrol, Tavaro. Did you have many encounters with orcs?"

"The beginning of our patrol was relatively quiet. Quite boring, actually. There were very few sightings of those vile creatures, but as soon as the winter began to thaw, the orcs were sprouting as quickly as new leaves on trees. They were everywhere, and things got rather exciting from then on. No sooner did we dispel one group then another would show up to take its place. There was an ongoing challenge among the warriors as to who would have the highest tally of orc kills at the end of each day. Unfortunately, Feren forbade me to take part or surely I would have been the champion on most days."

Thranduil frowned as he watched the growing wide-eyed wonder on his youngest son's face. "Legolas, eat your meal. Tavaro, you may give me your detailed account of the patrol after dinner, in my study."

Tavaro grinned and shrugged. "As you wish, Adar." He winked at his younger brother who looked as if he was about to protest the premature end to Tavaro's tale. "I believe Adar would like us to speak of more mundane matters over dinner. So I suppose you may tell me what you have been doing in the past months. How is your archery training progressing along?"

Thranduil breathed a silent sigh of relief. As much as he was annoyed at Tavaro's unnecessary embellishment of patrol life in the presence of Legolas, the King was also appeased by his third son's wisdom in diverting the discussion to that of archery, something that Legolas could never tire of discussing.

"The archery master says that I will soon be one of Mirkwood's best archers," Legolas said proudly and turned to his father. "I am not boasting, Adar. Those were his words, not mine."

Thranduil suppressed a smile. "Yes, the archery master has so advised me as well, and I am very proud of you, Legolas. However, it is better that you not repeat those words to others than to your brothers and myself. It may be the truth, but others will see it as unwanted boasting nevertheless."

Legolas sighed loudly. "I know that already. Others in my archery group are not happy that the archery master singles me out for praise. They are much older than I am and believe they have more experience and are therefore better than me." He stabbed absent-mindedly at a piece of venison. "It does not matter how good I may be. They will be confirmed as warriors long before me. It does not seem fair."

"Skill with weapons is not the only thing that matters to a warrior, Legolas," Thranduil reminded. "A warrior also requires the maturity of mind to deal with the uncertainties and dangers of confronting the enemy. Believe me, a good warrior has many skills, not just adeptness with weapons." The King looked at his son's unfinished plate of food. "Finish your dinner, Legolas."

Legolas pushed away the plate. "I am full, Adar. You gave me way too much."

Thranduil frowned. Legolas was never one with a robust appetite, unlike his other sons. The King thought him much too slender, even for an elf, but Legolas was nearing the age when lectures on eating habits would be unwelcomed by the youngling. For that matter, lectures on anything would be considered unwelcome interference, Thranduil thought in mild frustration.

"If you are finished, then you may go to your chamber to begin your additional lessons," Thranduil said mildly.

Legolas protested almost immediately, "But Adar, this is the first evening that Tavaro is home. I have hardly spent any time with him yet."

"Legolas, we have agreed that doing extra lessons every evening for this week will be your punishment for disobeying the rules today. Perhaps next time you will consider the consequences before you break the rules. Now, I do not want to hear any more protest. Consider yourself fortunate that you are only doing additional lessons. Next time, I will take away your bow and Hwesta for a month."

Legolas regarded his father with sullen defiance, and then turned to his older brothers, beseeching interference.

Tavaro shrugged helplessly. "I dare not overrule Adar's orders. He is the King, you know. I have learned long ago not to disobey him. I suggest that you should learn to do likewise, if you value whatever freedom you have left to you."

"You better do as Adar says, Legolas," Aldeon said. "I will come to your chamber later."

Thranduil gave his eldest a warning look. "You will not help him with his lessons."

"Of course not, Adar. I will only keep him company," Aldeon said, smiling.

Thranduil regarded him doubtfully before turning to his youngest. "Run along, Legolas. Your tutor will advise me tomorrow whether you have completed your lessons, and whether they are done properly."

With the greatest reluctance, Legolas made his way from the room, casting sulky looks behind him on regular intervals.

Once the door closed behind his youngest brother, Tavaro burst out laughing. "You would think he was going to his execution the way he dragged his feet."

Thranduil let out a long breath. "That child tries my endurance."

"The mighty King of Mirkwood brought low by a mere elfling," Tavaro said with a grin.

"Legolas will bring low the mighty spirits themselves," Thranduil said tiredly. "Let alone a mere elven king."

"I find him refreshing," Tavaro said with a grin.

The King regarded him with a raised brow. "I shall remind you of your words when you have a son of your own someday."

"Legolas tells me that Salque has left to visit with his daughter," Tavaro commented. "What will you do without Salque?"

"I have considered locking your brother in the dungeons for the duration of Salque's absence. It will be the only way to keep him safe, if only from himself," Thranduil said rather helplessly. "Salque is not even gone for a day and the child has already caused trouble."

Aldeon laughed. "Fear not, Adar, now that Tavaro is home. He can certainly help in keeping Legolas occupied and out of mischief."

Thranduil nodded and smiled at the suggestion. "Yes, your timing cannot be better, Tavaro."

Tavaro took a long drink from his goblet of wine. "It seems that you both have my leave all planned out, without input from me, I might add. It is a fortunate thing that I enjoy spending time with Legolas. Otherwise, I would be tempted to ride back south at first light tomorrow to rejoin Feren."

At his son's words, a look of guilt flitted across Thranduil's face. "Do you have plans otherwise? I know you have not had leave for some months now. I certainly do not want to deprive you of the free time that is so well-deserved."

Tavaro sat back in his chair. "I received a letter from Herendil a while back, inquiring as to when I might visit him and his family. We have not seen each other for some years now. I believe the last time I visited was when his son was born, and his son must be nearing Legolas' age now."

"Then you certainly must go and visit him then. Do not put your plans off because of Legolas," Thranduil said quickly.

Tavaro and Herendil had been inseparable since childhood and as warriors, they had fought side by side. Then Herendil had made the decision to resign from the duties of patrol to bond with an elleth from the settlement where both of their families were from. After the bonding, Herendil and his new bride had chosen to return to their ancestral home to start their new life together. The parting had been difficult for Tavaro. At first, visits between the friends were frequent, but because of the distance, and the duties and demands upon Tavaro as the King's son, the frequency of the visits diminished. If Tavaro wished to visit Herendil on the rare occasion that he was free from the demands of his duties, then Thranduil would in no way hinder his son's plans.

"Once Kala affirms that your arm is healed, then you shall go on this visit," Thranduil said. "Herendil will be glad to see you, my son, for it has been far too long since you two were together."

"I have an idea, Adar. I will take Legolas with me," Tavaro suggested, watching his father closely.

Thranduil frowned. "It is a long journey. I do not think Legolas is ready yet to embark on such a trip."

"Adar, it is no more than four, five days' ride to get there, and it is along a path that is frequented by patrols. It will be safe enough. Besides, he will not be alone. I will keep a close watch on him."

"Adar, I think Tavaro's suggestion is a good one. The trip will be good for both of them," Aldeon said, and then laughed. "At least, it will be good for Legolas. He has always longed to see Mirkwood beyond the perimeters of the outer walls."

"Your brother does not know the danger that exists beyond those walls," Thranduil said dryly. "I would protect him from those dangers forever if I could."

"I know you wish to protect Legolas, Adar. We all do. But he is very restless, especially after this long winter. I fear that if we hold him back further, he might do something irreparably foolish. This outing proposed by Tavaro will allow Legolas see a little of the outside word that he so craves. And as Tavaro says, the route there is well protected by patrols. They will be safe. And if it eases your mind, send guards along with them."

Tavaro winced. "Aldeon, I do not need guards to accompany me when I travel to visit a friend."

"The guards will be for Legolas, not for you," Aldeon said, smiling.

"I think I am capable of protecting one elfling, considering that I have been a warrior for more years than I care to count," Tavaro said rather indignantly.

"If you are intent on taking Legolas with you, then you will have guards accompanying you," Thranduil said. "Otherwise, Legolas is not going anywhere."

"Then you are agreeable that Legolas joins me on this trip?" Tavaro asked, unable to hide the surprise in his voice.

Thranduil sighed. "With Salque away, I am afraid that it will only be a matter of time before your brother gets himself into serious trouble. Yes, he may go with you, but you will have to promise me that you will keep a close watch on him. It does the child no harm to hear the word no on a more regular basis." Thranduil was only too aware of the fact that his youngest was quite skillful in charming concessions from those around him. The King prided himself that he may be one of the few who was able to maintain a certain immunity to that dubious charm.

"Fear not, Adar. I shall have Legolas tethered to my side at all times," Tavaro grinned.

"For that, you may need a chain made of mithril," Thranduil said dryly.

Tavaro laughed. "The bratling will be beside himself once he learns of this journey."

"He shall not learn of it until he has completed his punishment. I do not want him to think that he is to be rewarded for disobeying my rules," Thranduil said firmly.

"As you wish, Adar. I shall not breathe a word," Tavaro promised.

Thranduil nodded. "Come, let us retire to my study. I want you to tell me of the activities in the south beyond what was reported by Feren. Aldeon, you will join us as well. We shall discuss the affairs of the realm over a nice cup of wine."

Tavaro grinned. It was nice to be home again.

TBC

*****





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List