Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch, 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 4 The Journey Begins


Legolas looked down at his bowl and thought he would be sick. It was not because the porridge was in any way spoiled, but the last thing his nerve-tightened stomach wanted was food. He knew though that his father would not allow him to leave without breakfast. Leave! He was to begin his journey today! The very thought gripped him with breathless anticipation. He could scarcely believe that this day was at last here, and more than once in the short interval between awakening and the morning meal, he had pinched himself mercilessly just to be certain that the day was not an illusion.

"Legolas, eat your porridge." Vaguely, he heard his father urged, yet again.

He nodded numbly and forced down a spoonful down his reluctant throat, which seemed to have closed mysteriously during the course of his sleep. Sleep. He was certain that he had not slept at all the night previous, or if he did, he had done so during the brief spells between the long bouts of wakefulness during which his mind churned endlessly with thoughts of the impending journey.

He glanced at Tavaro who was scraping clean his bowl of porridge and looked to have every intention of requesting a second helping. How could his brother even think of eating this morning, he wondered in near amazement. But then this journey was probably no different for his brother than embarking upon another patrol, only this time the journey was for leisure, rather than for duty. Tavaro's enthusiasm therefore could not possibly match that of someone who had rarely stepped beyond the outer walls of the palace. Someone such as himself.

"Legolas." He heard his father again. The King was eyeing unhappily the nearly untouched bowl of porridge before his son.

Legolas looked pleadingly at his father. "I cannot, Adar. I am not hungry."

"You have a long day ahead of you, Legolas. You must eat."

"I will get sick if I eat another mouthful," Legolas said.

"Are you not well?" the King asked sharply.

"No, no. I am fine. I just do not want food right now," Legolas said quickly, fearful yet that the King might put an end to this journey even before it began.

"I think he is too excited to eat," Aldeon came to his rescue. "Do not force him, Adar. He can always eat something once they are on their way."

Legolas looked at his oldest brother most gratefully.

Thranduil sighed in resignation. "Very well."

Legolas immediately pushed his bowl away and looked at Tavaro. "Can we leave now?"

Tavaro laughed. "You may not be hungry, but I am. You will just have to be patient, little brother."

"Well, hurry," Legolas ordered. "The sun will set soon if we keep this pace."

"I hardly think so, Legolas," Tavaro chuckled again. "You must remember that we have all the time in the world. There are no deadlines to meet."

Legolas stood up. "Can I wait for Tavaro outside, Adar?"

"Sit, Legolas," Thranduil said without even looking up. "We will enjoy this meal together as a family, as it will be some time before we can do so again."

Legolas sat down with a loud exhalation of breath. "Yes, Adar."

Aldeon watched his young brother with half-suppressed amusement. The youngling was as tight as a bow string and Aldeon was certain that as soon as Tavaro gave any indication at all of readiness to depart, Legolas would undoubtedly bolt from the chair and shoot from the room like a sprung arrow. Aldeon tried to recall if there was a time he himself had been so wound up in excitement over an impending journey, and found that he could not. But then, Mirkwood had not been a place fraught with danger when he had been an elfling and there had existed then freedom to wander about with nary a care for one's safety. At least he and his other brothers had the chance to taste that freedom, which was more than Legolas would ever know, he thought wistfully. It saddened him deeply that his young brother would never experience the beauty and tranquility of Greenwood the Great, as Mirkwood then was. Even for himself, the memory of those peaceful days seemed to belong to another age, and he wondered with a pang of despondency whether Mirkwood would ever again see such days.

"Tavaro, you cannot still be hungry? You have already had three bowls of porridge!" Legolas cried incredulously.

"If you have been on patrol on months on end as I have, then you will have a greater appreciation for food such as this," Tavaro said. He looked at his younger brother's slightly flushed face and decided that he had tortured the bratling for long enough. "All right, all right. I shall refrain from further eating. If I should faint from hunger on this journey, it will be your fault, Legolas." He set his spoon down rather reluctantly. "I suppose we should be off now."

"Yes!" Legolas enthused loudly and dashed out of the room even before the others had a chance to stand up.

Thranduil shook his head. "One would think the child is being released from prison."

"Adar, he is," Tavaro said solemnly.

His father regarded him with narrowed eyes. "I shall not ask you to elaborate on that as I do not wish us to part on less than loving terms."

Tavaro laughed and threw an arm around his father's shoulders. "Adar, try as you might, but you can be never less than loving toward us."

Thranduil grunted. "Do not press your fortune, my son. Now, I do not need to remind you again that you will have to watch over your brother with the utmost care."

Tavaro at last turned a serious face to his father. "I may spend my life making light of everything around me, but one thing that I do take seriously is the safety of my family. Trust me, Adar. Legolas will come to no harm under my care."

Thranduil grasped his son's shoulder. "I doubt you not, my son. Only with Legolas, even I cannot keep him from mischief at times."

Father and sons made their way to the front door where they found Legolas fretted with barely contained impatience. At the sight of his family, he heaved a great sigh of relief.

"At last! Now can we be off?"

Tavaro laughed. "If we do not leave soon, the bratling will simply burst with impatience. Good-bye, Adar, Aldeon." He embraced his father and brother in turn.

"Good-bye, my son. May you have a safe journey."

Thranduil then stepped up to his youngest son and drew him into a fierce embrace, holding the bright head to his chest with something near desperation. "Good-bye, Legolas. I shall miss you."

When his father at last released him, Legolas found himself enfolded in Aldeon's arms. "Good-bye, little one. Enjoy your first journey and pay close heed to Tavaro."

"I will, Aldeon," Legolas grinned brightly.

"Come, Legolas, or the sun will set," Tavaro called out. He had already mounted his steed, as did the two guards assigned to them by the King.

Legolas made to mount Hwesta, but stopped suddenly and ran back to Thranduil. Throwing his arms about his father, Legolas hugged the King with all his strength. "Thank you, Ada, for letting me go with Tavaro. I love you!"

"I love you too, my dear heart," Thranduil said, his voice tight with barely suppressed emotions. He bent to kiss the youthful brows one last time. "Return to me safely."

Legolas nodded and pulled away. In a single bound, he vaulted onto the back of Hwesta. He turned and waved to his father and brother standing at the bottom of the great steps. "Good-by, Adar! Good-by, Aldeon!"

Thranduil returned the wave and watched as his sons urged their horses down the path, followed closely by the two guards. He continued to watch even after the riders turned the corner and disappeared from sight, his heart tightening despite his best efforts. He felt Aldeon's hand on his shoulder.

"Adar, he will be fine. Tavaro will look after him."

"I know," Thranduil let out a long breath. "But he has not left my side from the day of his birth."

Aldeon clasped his father's shoulder again in sympathy. He too would miss his young brother, but a part of him also shared the joy and wonderment that was no doubt flooding through Legolas at this very moment. Wistfully, he wished he had the liberty to join his brothers on their excursion.

"Come, Adar, there are some Men from Esgaroth awaiting us to discuss the matter of timber."

xxxxxxxx

"Can we not go faster?" Legolas asked as their horses continued their gentle cantor down the well-marked path.

"Legolas, you wanted to see the world outside the palace walls. How do you propose to see anything if we gallop our way pass it all? Sit back and enjoy the scenery," Tavaro said unhurriedly.

Legolas looked about him. "But these woods look no different than those near the palace. I thought everything would be different."

Tavaro laughed. "Be patient, elfling. We have been on the road but for an hour. You will not see the difference in our surroundings until we are at least two days into our journey."

His brother's face fell. "Two days? I suppose I can wait."

Tavaro struggled not to laugh at the look of determination on Legolas' face. "Yes, I suppose you must, bratling. I really do not think you have a choice."

Legolas suddenly smiled brightly. "It is so good to be out here. Thank you, Tavaro, for taking me with you. And thank you for convincing Adar of this. You do not know how long I have dreamt of a journey such as this."

"Aldeon helped too, in convincing Adar," Tavaro said.

"I must remember to thank him too when I return home," Legolas nodded earnestly. "I had been so afraid that Adar would change his mind. Only now can I truly believe that we are on our way."

Tavaro regarded his little brother. "Once Adar gives his word, he does not go back on it. That you must remember, Legolas, and learn from him. For how many times have you broken your promise to Adar?"

Legolas flushed. "I do not break my promise to Adar, not really." He threw a sideways glance at his brother. "Sometimes I just find it hard to abide by his rules. They do not seem fair to me."

"Fair or not, he is your adar and he has the right to make rules for you to follow. If you wish greater freedom to do what you wish, then I would suggest that you earn Adar's trust by not breaking those rules."

Legolas nodded reluctantly. "I will try, but sometimes I cannot help myself."

Tavaro turned quickly to hide the smile that had crept up on him without warning. At least Legolas was truthful about himself. He was beginning to get a glimpse of why the youngling tried the King's endurance. He decided it was enough lecturing for the time being. After all, this was Legolas' first journey away from home, and he was determined that his young brother would remember the experience with only fondness.

When the sun reached its apex position in the sky, they decided to stop for their midday meal. Choosing a small clearing just off the main path, they released the horses to graze on tender young grass while they shared the considerable cache of food that the palace kitchen had packed for their journey. Tavaro wondered fleetingly whether the King had personally directed the kitchen staff when the food had been prepared, for there seemed to be a disproportionate supply of what appeared to be his young brother's favourites.

Legolas ate ravenously, a testament, no doubt, to the invigorating spring air and the missed morning meal earlier. The two guards, their once stoic disposition softened by Legolas' incessant chattering for the past hours, had joined them after the initial token hesitation. Even as they ate their food, their eyes darted about warily, as if to challenge any hidden menaces to come forth. Though Tavaro thought it absurd that a seasoned warrior as himself should be under the protection of these two, he nevertheless felt a grudging respect for the obvious dedication that the two guards had toward their duty. No doubt both would deem it a personal affront to their considerable ability if either of their charges should fall prey to something as lethal as a splinter, Tavaro thought with a hidden smile.

Tavaro turned to look at his younger brother, who had been uncharacteristically silent for a while now. He found Legolas slumped back against the trunk of a nearby tree, his eyes glazed in the telltale sign of sleep. Tavaro chuckled quietly, and wondered how many sleepless nights the youngling had endured since the day he was told of this impending journey.

Tavaro reached for his bow and quiver and stood up. The two guards immediately rose to their feet as well.

"I am going to see whether I can find something for our evening meal," Tavaro said as he strapped on his quiver.

"I will come with you," the one called Baragallon said. "Aradun will stay with the young prince."

"Both of you will stay with the young prince," Tavaro said comfortably.

"My lord --" Baragallon protested.

Tavaro shook his head. "I will be hunting for rabbits, not orcs. I will not stray far, I promise. And I believe I am quite capable of fending for myself. If in the unlikely event that I cannot, I shall signal and one of you may then come running to my rescue." Seeing their concerned looks, he added, "I am sure that the King's orders will be better served if you both keep Legolas in your constant sight."

Reluctantly, Baragallon and Aradun nodded. "Yes, my lord."

Tavaro gave them a reassuring smile. "I will be back soon."

He glanced back at Legolas, who continued to sleep despite their voices. Tavaro shook his head in wonderment. The child slept as if he was in his own bed, with no care at all to what danger that may befall one sleeping in the open woods. Suddenly, he was glad that the King had insisted on the guards accompanying them on this journey. It would be very exhausting indeed to maintain the constant vigilance by himself for the entire duration of this trip.

Later that night, they supplemented their evening meal with the two scrawny rabbits that Tavaro was able to snare with his arrows. Legolas nearly burned his fingers in his eagerness to consume the bony bits, marvelling all the while at his brother's heretofore undiscovered talent for cooking. It was flattering, Tavaro thought with a grin, but decided that it was not something that should be passed along to the cooks at the palace.

When Tavaro at last declared that it was time for sleep, Legolas only made a token protest. It had been a long day, and the youngling was worn out by excitement and the hours spent on Hwesta's back. They chose to sleep in the trees, as the grounds were damp yet from the recently melted snow.

"I have never slept in a tree before." Legolas was breathless with wonderment as they nestled into the protective boughs.

"I know," Tavaro said, smiling as he tucked his brother's cloak closer around the young body.

"Thank you, Tavaro. It has been a wonderful day."

"You are welcome, little brother. Now, sleep Legolas. Neither the tree nor I will let you fall."

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List