Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer

Ch. 13 Homeward Bound

The first lights of dawn were just beginning to streak across the eastern horizon when Tavaro and Herendil climbed the last few weary steps to the caves. A shadow, seemingly to have come out of nowhere, dropped before them, halting them in their tracks. It was Baragallon.

"I was beginning to wonder when you would intercept us," Tavaro said with a tired smile. "Is everyone all right?"

"Yes, they are asleep still. The floodwater --?" Baragallon let his words hang in the air.

"Has now begun to recede even as we speak," Tavaro said with weary elation.

"For a while, it seemed almost certain that the entire settlement would be washed away," Herendil said. "But we managed to break up the ice jam and the river is flowing in the direction that it should be once more. Let us speak further inside. I am exhausted, and I am hungry."

"How is Legolas?" Tavaro asked, giving voice to the worry that had plagued his mind since he last saw his brother.

"He has been resting well, though the coughing does bother him from time to time. He has been worried for your wellbeing," Baragallon said, glancing at Tavaro. "He will be happy too see you return. Where is Aradun?"

"He remains at the river with a few others to ensure that the river causes no further problems. He will meet us back at the cottage later," Tavaro told him.

"Herendil!" Vanye had been awaken by their entry into the cave and was immediately in her husband's arms. "Thank the Valar that you are safe! And Tavaro too!" She reached out and touched the other lightly on the arm.

Roitar sat up from his blankets and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. "Adar! You are back! Have you stopped the flood?"

Herendil laughed and swept him into his arms. Others in the cave were now awake and were watching the newcomers with anxious expectancy.

"Yes, the floodwater is receding. We can return to our cottages," Herendil said cheerfully.

There was a collective sign of relief and murmurs of thanks to the Valar from the elves. Herendil sat down close to the glowing fire, pulling Roitar close to his side. "Is there food? We are very hungry!"

Vanye laughed. "There will be food shortly, I promise." She saw Tavaro crouching by the sleeping form of his brother and moved to kneel by his side. "He is all right, Tavaro, though his coughing does give me concern. The healer has been keeping a close watch on him."

"He does not awake, even with all this commotion. That is not like him," Tavaro was frowning. He reached out touched his brother's cheek gently. "Legolas?"

It took him several more tries before Legolas at last stirred. The sleep-glazed eyes blinked in confusion before finally focusing on his brother's concerned face.

"Tavaro? You are back!" Legolas sat up immediately, throwing his arms around the other's neck. "I have been worried about you, Tavaro. Did you stop the flood?"

Tavaro could not help but laugh at his brother's near identical words as that of Roitar. "If we did not stop the flood, do you think we would dare to show our faces here?"

Legolas grinned. "I knew you could do it. And you too, Herendil."

"Thank you, Legolas, "Herendil smiled. "It was a combined effort from everyone to tame that wayward river."

"And how are you doing, bratling?" Tavaro asked, watching his brother closely.

"I am fine," Legolas answered quickly.

"Both Vanye and Baragallon say that you have been coughing," Tavaro said.

"I do not cough all the time, and I have been drinking the tea that the healer prescribed," Legolas said.

"How is your back?" Tavaro asked, nodding his thanks at Vanye as she pressed a steaming bowl into his hand.

"It is still a little sore," Legolas said. "Stop asking me all these questions, Tavaro. I am fine, really. You are beginning to sound like Adar again."

"And you are sounding like the bratling that you are," Tavaro said, at last smiling. "Very well, I will stop acting like Adar if you promise to be truthful about any discomfort that you may feel."

"I promise," Legolas said, returning the smile. He edged closer and leaned against his brother. "I am glad you are back safely, Tavaro."

Tavaro slipped an arm across his brother's shoulders and drew him close. "I am glad to be back in one piece as well."

It was near noon by the time they made their way back to the cottage. Though the flood had been averted, the once rising water had done its damage before making its reluctant retreat. Many of the cottages had been submerged in water to varying levels. Herendil's cottage, fortunately, had been spared of the bulk of damage, though water pooled in lingering puddles on the floors that were now stained and dirtied by a film of brown sediments, a reminder of how precarious the situation had been.

Vanye surveyed her once spotless and orderly home. "Well, it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If we can get two days of sun, I am certain we will get most things dried out. At least the bedding has been spared. We will at least be able to sleep in dry warm beds tonight. I never did care to sleep in caves."

"I will see if I can find enough dry firewood to start a fire. We can all do with a little warmth," Herendil said.

"I will help you dry the floors, Naneth," Roitar said.

"I will help too," Legolas offered.

"No, Legolas, I want you to go to bed," Tavaro cut in quickly. He had not liked the sound of his brother's increasing coughing as they made their way back to the cottage, or the weariness that had marked Legolas' every step.

"Tavaro, I do not need to rest," Legolas protested.

Tavaro shook his head, and said firmly. "No arguments, bratling."

Legolas shot him a sulky look and turned to Vanye. "I am sorry, Vanye, I would like to help you but Tavaro is being bossy and is sending me to bed in the middle of the day."

Vanye smiled. "Thank you, Legolas, but I agree with Tavaro that you should rest. You may help me later if you wish."

Legolas looked at the faces about him, hoping for intervention, but none materialized. With resignation, he turned and headed to his room.

As Tavaro tucked the blankets around him, Legolas voiced his final words of defiance. "I have done nothing but sleep for the past two days. I am sleeping my life away."

"Perhaps you should listen to what your body is telling you, bratling. There may be a reason why you are sleeping so much," Tavaro said. "Now be quiet and rest and I shall rekindle the brazier. It is cold in the room and you do not need to be chilled again."

"Yes, Adar," Legolas muttered insolently.

Tavaro smiled and ruffled his brother's bright head. "If I were Adar, I would be assigning you additional lessons for such impertinence. Now go to sleep."

Once the brazier was glowing and radiating the much-needed warmth, Tavaro returned to his brother's bedside and looked down. Legolas was already lost to the world of sleep, despite of his earlier protests. The spark of fear within Tavaro flared once again as he took in the pallor of his brother's face and the light raspy breathing. Legolas was not well. He decided that he would confer with healer at the first opportunity to determine whether it would be prudent to return home immediately where Legolas may be better served by the King's own healers. He had no wish to see his brother's condition deteriorate further, especially if they did not have the healing herbs that Legolas may be needing.

xxxxx

The first face that Legolas saw when he awoke was that of his brother, who hovered over him with a steaming bowl in hand.

"Hello, bratling. It is time to eat something. Vanye says that you have not eaten all day," Tavaro said, smiling.

Legolas pushed himself upright slowly. "Where have you been? The last time I was awake, there was no one here but Aradun."

"Here, eat this broth first. Vanye made it specially for you as she says you have no appetite for anything."

Legolas balanced the bowl carefully on his lap and took a small spoonful. The hot liquid was soothing on his scratchy throat. "So where were you this afternoon?"

Tavaro drew in a deep breath and said slowly. "We were all at the funeral of Huor."

Legolas looked up quickly and nearly spilled the broth. Tavaro quickly retrieved the bowl and removed it from harm. "Huor? He is dead? But how?" Huor had been one of the elves on the boar hunt.

"He was the one who fell into the river, just before you did. We found his body early this morning," Tavaro said, wishing fervently that their adar was here. He did not feel qualified to explain to his brother about death, something that was quite alien to Legolas in his young life so far.

Legolas was frowning, obviously confused and distressed. "He drowned? He is dead?"

"He was not as fortunate as you. We could not rescue him in time," Tavaro said gently and suppressed a shudder. It could so easily had been Legolas' lifeless body that they fished out of the churning water this morning.

Legolas shook his head. "It does not seem right. How can Huor be dead? He was hunting boars with us but a few nights ago. I can still remember his songs at the feast. And now he is gone."

Tavaro gently pushed back his brother's sleep tousled hair. "He is now in another world."

There was a moment of silence before Legolas finally spoke again. "Like Naneth."

Tavaro nodded grimly. "Like Naneth."

Legolas suddenly turned and buried his face into his brother's chest and began to sob. "I do not want them in another world. I want them here, with me."

Tavaro embraced the shaking body gently. "It is not our choice, Legolas. There are things that are beyond our control to change. Evan Adar has no control over such things."

The sobbing led to an outbreak of harsh coughing and Tavaro patted the heaving chest in an effort to ease his brother's obvious distress. Gripping Tavaro's arm for support, Legolas gasped desperately for the elusive breath.

"Breathe slowly, Legolas," Tavaro said, trying to contain his own alarm. "Just relax and breathe. You will be all right."

By the time that he had his breathing under control again, Legolas was exhausted by the ordeal. Easing his brother back onto the pillow, Tavaro pulled the blankets close as fear once again gnaw at his stomach. Getting Legolas home seemed more urgent than ever now.

"Legolas, we are leaving for home tomorrow," Tavaro told his brother.

"We are leaving already? Why?" The wearied blue eyes looked up in surprise.

"As I have said previously, I need to get back to patrol duties. I have been away long enough. Feren probably expected me back some days ago." Tavaro decided that Legolas need not be told of the real reason why they were returning home so quickly.

"I was hoping that we could stay a while longer yet. I like it here," Legolas said. "But if Feren needs you, then I suppose we should return."

Tavaro patted his shoulder. "We can always come back to visit another time."

Legolas smiled wanly as his eyes began to glaze over in sleep. "I would like that, Tavaro."

xxxxx

It had not been easy to say good-by, Tavaro thought, as their horses picked their way carefully over the sodden ground. Before it was over, there were two teary-eyed elflings, and an openly tearful Vanye. Embraces had been exchanged, over and over again, as were promises of mutual visits not too distant into the future. It had been difficult for Tavaro to take leave of Herendil as well. Though he seldom dwelled on the dangers of life as a warrior, Tavaro knew only too well that there was no guarantee against death, and that each parting from his friend could very well be the last.

Others had come forth from their cottages, the daunting task of restoration after the devastation of the floodwater temporarily set aside as they too bade a warm farewell to the departing four. Many had openly shown their concern over the coughing that seemed to have Legolas firm in its grip and had presented them with a various assortment of ointments and herbs. Tavaro had accepted these with heartfelt thanks and had stowed them carefully into his pack. The journey home would not be easy on his brother, and Tavaro was grateful for anything that may aid in easing Legolas' discomforts.

Tavaro had set a moderately fast pace as they began their journey home. He wanted Legolas in the care of the palace healers as quickly as possible and indeed, it was difficult not to give into the temptation of urging their mounts into a full gallop in order to reach their destination sooner.

Legolas had insisted on riding on his own and appeared to be keeping the pace with little difficulty, though his coughing seemed to become harsher and more frequent as they rode on. Tavaro found himself exchanging worried glances with the other two warriors as they watched Legolas gasping for breath after each such coughing seizure. Absent from this journey home was the joyful chattering of the elfling that had so brightened the beginning of the journey. Indeed, Legolas' uncharacteristic silence only added to Tavaro's growing concerns, which already weighed heavily upon him like unwanted armour.

They stopped for their noon day meal sooner than Tavaro would have liked, but it had become increasingly apparent that Legolas was tiring and did not look like he could stay atop of Hwesta much longer.

Without a word, Baragallon disappeared into the woods as soon as they had dismounted and returned shortly with the still warm carcasses of two rabbits that had been pierced by his arrows. The warrior had not forgotten how much Legolas had enjoyed rabbit cooked over a camp fire as they had journeyed north and hoped that the youngling's waning appetite would now be aroused by the same fare. His efforts were rewarded when Legolas awoke from his brief rest and smiled with surprised pleasure at the sight of the spitted rabbits roasting slowly over glowing amber.

"You went hunting," Legolas said, smiling at Tavaro.

His brother shook his head. "No, Baragallon went hunting. You have him to thank for this fine meal."

"Thank you, Baragallon," Legolas said. "I have not been looking forward to a meal of cold rations."

"You are most welcome, Legolas," Baragallon inclined his head slightly, smiling in return.

In spite of his initial enthusiasm, Legolas ate only a small portion of what had been allotted to him, heedless of the urging by the others to partake more. Curling up on the blankets, he fell asleep once more as the others finished their meal in worried silence.

Soon they were once again atop of their mounts to continue their journey home. This time, however, Tavaro had insisted that his young brother ride with him and after only a token protest or two, Legolas had relented, which in turn caused Tavaro even greater concern. There was no doubt at all now in Tavaro's mind that Legolas was not well. It was never in Legolas' nature to succumb so readily to what he usually considered as overprotective coddling by his older siblings and, of course, the King.

xxxxxx

As the night deepened, their pace slowed considerably, though the light from the half moon was more than sufficient for the keen elven eyes to pick out and avoid the treacherous hollows and roots that might otherwise snare an unsuspecting hoof. They had all come to the grim agreement earlier in the day to continue their journey home with as few stops as possible. Legolas' condition had deteriorated steadily as the day passed and the need to get him to proper care was becoming increasingly urgent.

Tavaro hugged his brother close to him as he guided his horse forward in a steady trot, feeling the heat radiating from Legolas' body through the layer of blanket. The fever had started in the early hours of the evening and thus far showed no signs of abatement. Indeed, Legolas felt much hotter to the touch than he had but a few hours ago, Tavaro thought grimly as he listened to his brother's laboured breathing. Oh, bratling, what am I going to tell Adar?

Tavaro felt a slight stirring in his arms and the harsh breathing was suddenly replaced by a racking bout of coughing that seemed to rob Legolas of his very breath. Helpless to do anything else, Tavaro could only whisper soothing words to his brother as Legolas struggled to regain some semblance of regular respiration.

"Ada?" Legolas blinked and his eyes flickered in confusion.

Tavaro's heart tightened. "We are going home to Adar now, Legolas. We will be home soon. How do you feel?"

"It hurts."

"Where does it hurt?" Tavaro asked anxiously.

"When I breathe." Legolas' voice was barely above a harsh whisper. "It hurts to breathe."

"We will be home soon and Kala will tend to you," Tavaro said rather helplessly.

Legolas stirred restlessly. "I am hot."

Tavaro pulled back the blanket a little. "It is the fever. Would you like some water?"

The young elf nodded and drank greedily from the proffered water skin before settling into his brother's arms again. "Am I sick, Tavaro?"

Tavaro frowned. "You are not well, Legolas."

"Is it because I fell into the river?"

"I believe so," Tavaro answered and added quickly as Legolas began to cough once again. "You should rest now. Talking will make your coughing worse."

Legolas remained quiet for so long that Tavaro thought he had fallen asleep once more and was startled when his worried thoughts were interrupted by his brother's raspy query.

"Am I going to die, like Huor?"

Tavaro's arms tightened around his brother instinctively. "No! Of course not! We will be home soon and Kala will make you well in no time. You know what a powerful healer Kala is."

Legolas nodded, seemingly reassured. "I do not like his teas."

Tavaro smiled despite of himself. "I do not like them either, bratling, for they are the most vile-tasting concoctions in all of Arda. Now stop talking and rest."

Legolas nestled closer against him and Tavaro could feel his brother's hot breath caressing the hollow of his throat. Once again, he felt the irrational need to tighten his embrace of his brother. You will be all right, Legolas. You have to be all right. He hoped with all his heart that his words of reassurance to Legolas, and to himself, would remain true.

TBC






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List