Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 12 Ice and Water

"I do not think it is wise for you to be up so soon," Tavaro said, watching his brother's still too pale countenance and the grimaces of pain as his sleep tunic was removed.

"I am fine, Tavaro," Legolas said, scowling. "If I remain in bed, I will become even more stiff than I already am. Besides, I have slept all of yesterday and last night. I am more than rested."

"The healer says that you need to rest," Tavaro reminded as he inspected the dark bruises on his brother's back. "Your back certainly does not look well. Is it giving you much pain?"

"It is all right," Legolas said. "It hurts only a little." He gasped and flinched as his brother slipped the tunic over his shoulders.

"A little?" Tavaro asked. "You are such a fluent liar, bratling. Keep still, or it will hurt even more. What are you looking for?"

"My boots. Where are my boots?" Legolas asked as his eyes searched the room.

"They are still drying by the brazier. I will get you the spare pair from your pack. Legolas, what are you doing?"

"There is something in my boot that I need," Legolas said as he pulled away from his brother to retrieve his still damp boots from yesterday. His frantic fingers searched for and found the small dagger, the gift from his friend. "Thank the Valar, it is here. I thought I lost it to the river."

Tavaro looked at the unremarkable dagger. "That is not your own."

"It is a gift from Roitar. I gave him mine in return," Legolas said.

Tavaro studied his brother and slowly smiled. "Keep it safe, then. It is something to treasure indeed. Come, let us join the others for the morning meal. I am certain they are all anxious to know of your wellbeing."
Tavaro was right. As they entered the dining room, all eyes looked up anxiously. Vanye was the first to move from the table.

"Legolas!" She took his hand into her own while her other hand brushed the pale cheek in a gentle caress. "How are you feeling? Should you not be resting still?" She drew him into a gentle embrace. "Thank the Valar that you are safe!" She brushed her lips over his forehead before at last releasing him. "Come, sit down. You must be hungry. You have not eaten since yesterday morning."

Legolas smiled at her. Before taking his seat, however, he made his way to Baragallon and Aradun who were sitting at the other end of the table. The guards rose to their feet as they realized that their young prince wished to speak to them.

Without a word, Legolas first wrapped his arms around Baragallon's waist, then Aradun's, hugging both warriors fiercely. Stepping back, he bowed. "Thank you, Baragallon. Thank you, Aradun. I owe you both my life."

Baragallon reached out and touched the bright head. "How can we answer to the King if you should come to harm while in our care?" Then he added, his voice very gentle. "More important still, how can we possibly answer to ourselves if we failed to keep you from harm?"

Aradun smiled at Legolas and nodded in concurrence. "Baragallon is right. We could not have done less."

Legolas regarded the two warriors, eyes glittering suspiciously. "Nevertheless, thank you, with all my heart." He turned and saw that the others were smiling at him, with the exception of one, Roitar. The other elf was watching him with something close to apprehension.

Legolas moved close to his friend. "Are you all right, Roitar?"

The other's lips trembled. "You saved my life yesterday, Legolas. And you nearly died because of it."

Legolas shook his head. "But I did not die."

Tears sprang into the dark eyes as Roitar reached out and hugged his friend. "Thank you, Legolas. Thank you."

Legolas flinched as Roitar's arms inadvertently pressed onto his tender back but he valiantly bit back the moan of pain and returned his friend's embrace. "We are friends, Roitar. Friends help each other. I am certain you would do no less for me."

Roitar drew back and sniffed. "I would do anything for you."

Legolas smiled and took his seat beside his friend. "I know."

"Legolas, Vanye and I would also like to thank you for what you did for our son yesterday," Herendil said with heart-felt sincerity. "It was a very brave thing that you did and we are truly indebted to you."

Legolas was beginning to feel a tinge of embarrassment. His actions yesterday did not merit such deep gratitude. After all, he did what he did out of pure instinct and had given no thought that he was actually saving another's life. "It was nothing really. It seemed to be the only thing to do at the time. I did not want Roitar falling into the river. I would not have fallen either if the ice had not cracked and broke away."

Herendil looked at him and shook his head. "It was not nothing. You were willing to risk your own life to save another. That is the sign of a true warrior."

Swelling with sudden pride at the other's words, Legolas drew in a deep breath and squared his shoulders, even though it pained his back and launched him immediately into an untimely fit of coughing.

"Are you all right, Legolas?" Vanye asked anxiously, as others watched him with equal anxiety.

Legolas managed to nod. "I am all right. Something catches my throat when I breathe too deeply." Seeing that his words did not dispel their anxiety, he added quickly, "I am fine, truly I am."

Before the others could voice their concerns, there was a knock on the door. Herendil stood up from the table. "I will go see who it is."

It was not long before he returned, his strides marked with urgency and a frown marred his face. "I must leave immediately. The river is blocked and the water is overflowing the banks. We have to break up the blockage or else the settlement will be flooded."

Tavaro stood up immediately, but his eyes lingered anxiously on Legolas.

"Go Tavaro. You must help," Legolas said quickly, reading correctly the dilemma in his brother's mind. "You need not be concerned for me."

Herendil looked at his friend almost apologetically. "Legolas is right. We need all the help we can get to avert this disaster."

"I will come also.," Aradun said quickly, glancing at Baragallon. The latter nodded silently.

"Baragallon, you should go too," Legolas said. "We will be all right here."

"I cannot leave you unattended," Baragallon protested.

"I will not be unattended. I will be here with Vanye and Roitar," Legolas pointed out. "If the ice blockage is not cleared, we will all be in trouble."

"He is right, Baragallon," Tavaro said, though the reluctance was clear in his voice. "You best come along as well. The priority is to prevent the flood at this time."

"We must leave right now," Herendil urged.

Vanye touched Tavaro's arm briefly. "I will look after him. Do not worry."

Tavaro nodded and gave his brother a quick embrace. "I will be back as soon as I can."

"Be careful, Tavaro," Legolas said.

Tavaro touched his brother's face briefly and then turned quickly to follow the others out of the cottage.

"Come, children. Let us finish the morning meal," Vanye said cheerfully.

"Naneth, we need to start packing things, in case there is a flood," Roitar said, looking greatly worried.

"We will eat first," his naneth said. "Legolas, I know you do not like porridge, so I made you bread. Come, sit down and eat. I have made the tea that the healer left for you. You can have it after you eat. It will sooth your throat."

"How will they break up the ice?" Legolas asked. Suddenly the prospect of a flood was no longer exciting to him, as it was the day previous. He had seen and felt the ferocity of the raging water and had no wish to experience the mind-numbing fear again.

Vanye shook her head. "I do not know, depending on how severe the blockage is."

"Blocks of ice were already piling up along the banks when we were there yesterday," Legolas said.

Roitar nodded. "I have not seen the river so for a long time. Last time it was like that, there was a flood."

Vanye patted their hands reassuringly. "I am sure your adar and the others will do everything that they can to prevent a flood. Legolas, do you not like the bread?"

"No, it is not the bread. I am just not very hungry."

Vanye immediately looked concerned. "Are you not feeling well?"

"No, no, I feel fine. I am just not hungry." Seeing her obvious distress, he took a tentative bite of the bread. "I will eat a little."

Vanye continued to watch him with concern. "I will bring you the tea. Perhaps it will help to make you feel better."

Legolas did not think that was likely. If the tea was anything like the brew that the palace healers make him drink from time to time, then it would certainly not improve his appetite. And there was no prospect of sweetening the tea with honey, he remembered with a sinking heart.

"Here you go, Legolas. Drink it while it is hot," Vanye pressed the cup into his hand.

Legolas stared at the steaming dark liquid with apprehension. "Do I have to? My throat is not bothering me right now."

Vanye smiled. "Be good and drink it. It will make me feel better."

Seeing Vanye's smiling face, Legolas decided that it would be worth the effort to make her feel better. He took a tentative sip of the tea and was surprised to find it mildly sweet and not at all unpleasant to the taste.

"It is not bitter," he said in wonderment "How can it make me feel better if it is not bitter?"

Vanye laughed. "Not all medicinal tea is bitter, Legolas. Some, like this one, are quite pleasant to drink."

"All the teas that the healers back home have given me are bitter and vile tasting."

"Well, in this settlement, we try to make our medicinal tea taste pleasant. Go on now, drink it all. And please try to eat a little more of the bread. You have missed too many meals already."

"Naneth, can I have some of the tea too?" Roitar suddenly asked, not wanting to feel left out.

Vanye smiled. "I suppose it can do you no harm. I will bring you a cup and you can keep Legolas company."

After the morning meal, they began to pack away what they could in the hope that the more treasured articles could be kept from harm from the impending floodwater. Even as they worked, Vanye knew that there was very little that they could actually save if the floodwater did come. She had seen how the river ravaged this settlement in the past. Perhaps the rebuilding this time should be in the trees, rather than on the ground. Fervently she prayed that rebuilding would not be necessary at all.

Her attention was suddenly caught by the sound of Legolas' coughing. The two elflings had been rolling a carpet off the floor when Legolas was suddenly seized with a fit of coughing.

She hurried to him. "Legolas, are you all right?"

"I am fine, Vanye. It is the dust from the carpet." Legolas insisted as he tried to catch his breath.

Vanye frowned. Legolas did not look fine. In fact, he looked tired and pale, and he was grimacing as if he was in pain.

Vanye drew him gently to his feet. "Come, Legolas, you look tired. You should rest. Roitar and I will finish what we can here."

"I want to help," Legolas insisted.

"No arguments now. I want you to go to your bed and rest. I promised Tavaro that I would look after you and I intend to keep my promise." She ushered the young elf into his room and tucked him into the blankets. "Now, sleep. I shall wake you when the noonday meal is ready."

"I am not tired," Legolas muttered even as his eyes began to glaze over.

Vanye smiled and kissed him softly on the forehead. "Sleep, Legolas."

Roitar stood by anxiously. "Is he going to be all right, Naneth?"

Vanye frowned slightly. "I certainly hope so. Come, let us leave him in peace and finish our tasks outside."

xxxxxx

It seemed as if he had barely fallen asleep when he felt hands on his shoulder, shaking him awake.

"Legolas, awaken," somebody called out to him.

He blinked his eyes into focus and looked about him in confusion. "What?"

"Come, Legolas, we must leave." It was Baragallon. The guard pulled him gently into a sitting position and was pulling his boots on for him.

"What is it? Where are we going?" Legolas asked, dazed still with slumber.

"They cannot break up the ice blockage and the river continues to rise. We must move to higher grounds. Come, we must hurry. I will carry you."

The guard's last words succeeded at last in driving away the remnants of the sleep-induced haze. "You will not carry me. I can walk on my own."

Baragallon looked at him doubtfully. "We must move quickly."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Legolas asked as he made his way quickly to the door.

With a slight shake of his head, Baragallon gathered up the packs and followed quickly in the wake of his charge. He found Vanye and Roitar already waiting anxiously by the front door, their arms laden with packs of their own.

"I can carry something," Legolas offered.

"You will carry nothing, "Baragallon said firmly. "Now, let us be off."

"My bow! I will not leave without my bow and quiver!" Legolas said as he ran back to his room. He was back quickly, his bow and quiver firmly held in his hands. "We can go now."

They had barely taken more than ten steps when Legolas suddenly stopped again. "What about Hwesta? We need to get him."

"He will know to move to higher grounds when it becomes necessary. You need not to worry for him. He will be safe enough," Baragallon said.

"Are you certain?" Legolas was not reassured.

"I am certain," the guard said firmly.

"Is Tavaro still at the river?" Legolas asked, looking rather anxious. " Why is he not joining us?"

"He and the others are attempting still to divert the flow of the water. They will not stop working if there is a chance that they can prevent a flood," Baragallon said rather grimly.

"Will he - will they be all right?" Legolas asked.

"They will know when they must leave should it come to that. Do not worry for your brother. He knows well enough how to take care of himself, and Aradun is with him."

Legolas nodded, hoping that the warrior was right and that his brother would be safe. He drew his cloak closer. The day was cold and a fine drizzle was falling, interspersed with occasional flakes of snow. He hoped that they could light a fire when they reached their destination. He was still feeling chilled from his encounter with the river yesterday.

As they made their way up a gently rising hill, they were joined by a few others who were also seeking the safety of higher grounds. Almost all were women and two of them carried in their arms young infants bundled in blankets. Legolas recognized most of them as they greeted him warmly and inquired of his wellbeing. The entire settlement must have learned of his plunge into the river, Legolas thought grimly. It was not quite the impression that he wished to leave behind when he returned home with Tavaro.

Legolas was glad when they at last arrived at their temporary shelter - a series of shallow caves near the top of the hill that they had been ascending. The climb had tired him inordinately, as did the periodic coughing that left him quite breathless. He made no words of protest when Vanye urged him to sit down atop of the blanket that she had spread on the rocky floor. Baragallon immediately proceeded to build a small fire from the firewood that they had brought from the cottage.

"You should lie down and rest, Legolas," Vanye said as she replaced his damp cloak with a dry blanket. "You look exhausted."

He did feel exhausted, and his back was aching. He curled onto his side and pulled the blanket closer. The spreading warmth of the fire quickly lulled him into slumber. For a moment, Vanye watched his sleeping face anxiously.

Baragallon straightened. "I will need to bring more firewood. Is there anything else that you wish me to bring back from the cottage?"

"Perhaps more blankets. It will be a cold night tonight and I do not want the children to get chilled."

Baragallon nodded and quickly left. Vanye turned and saw her son watching Legolas, anxiety marring his young face.

"Come, Roitar. Come sit beside me," she beckoned to him gently. The young elf scurried gratefully into her comforting arms. "Do not worry, Roitar. I am sure Legolas will be fine after he has rested."

Her son nodded glumly. "I hope so, Naneth."

Legolas was still asleep when Baragallon returned with two heavy bundles of firewood and several additional blankets. The air in the cave was considerably warmer than when he left, and was filled with the tantalizing aroma of cooking. Vanye and the other elves had not been idle while he was gone.

"Has he awaken?" Baragallon cast an anxious look at the sleeping Legolas.

Vanye shook her head. "No. He looks so tired that I thought it best to let him sleep. The healer has seen to him and agrees that rest is what he needs. What is the situation like at the settlement?"

Baragallon looked grim. "The water is rising and have reached many of the cottages already. Fortunately, yours remains untouched, as yet, but it is only a matter of time unless the water recedes."

"Is my adar and the others still at the river?" Roitar asked.

"I believe so for I saw no one at the settlement," Baragallon replied.

"If they are still at the river, then there may be hope yet," Vanye said with a cheerfulness that she did not feel. "Come, Baragallon and eat. You have done much already today."

"Thank you, I wish that there is more that I can do to help."

Vanye smiled a little sadly. "When the river chooses to be our enemy, I am afraid that there is little that anyone can do. It will be all right. It is not the first time that this settlement has seen a flood, nor will it be the last. We will cope, somehow."

A small smile touched the warrior's face for the first time. "I expect that you will. We Woodland Elves are expected to cope with many things in order to survive, and survive we will."

She reached out and patted his hand, smiling brightly this time. "Yes, survive we will."


TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List