Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The First Journey  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer

Ch. 14 - Journey's End

Thranduil frowned as he listened to two of his advisors argue back and forth, as they had done tirelessly for the past hour, over the terms of the timber proposal that had been presented by the Men from Esgaroth more than three weeks ago. The King rubbed the bridge of his nose with a long, slender finger, suppressing the sigh of exasperation with valiant patience. Out of the corner of his eyes, he thought he saw Aldeon smile his all too knowing smile, though his eldest was quick to hide it under the pretext of scratching a no doubt non-existing itch that had suddenly afflicted the tip of his nose. The voices of the advisors droned on. Thranduil thought the two had made their respective views quite clear within the first five minutes of their debate but had continued to argue for the sake of argument. Or they were simply entranced by the charm of their own discordant voices. The King's patience was rapidly coming to an end.

Thranduil cleared his throat and both elves immediately stopped speaking and looked to their liege with expectancy, each hoping that the King would take the advice that he had put forth so convincingly. Thranduil opened his mouth and was about to speak of his decision when the door suddenly opened following a cursory knock and a harried servant stepped forward nervously. Thranduil frowned. He did not like to be disturbed when he was in conference with his advisors and there were few that dared to ignore this unspoken rule.

The servant bowed and then spoke in a hesitant voice. "My lord, forgive me for the intrusion but Lord Tavaro and Prince Legolas have returned."

Thranduil felt his annoyance slip away, but kept his face regally impassive. The delivery of such news, joyous as it may be, was not reason enough for the interruption. "I am sure that Lord Tavaro and Prince Legolas do not expect their king to suspend his duties to the realm simply to welcome them home."

The servant was looking pale. "No, my lord, but Prince Legolas is not well."

Thranduil thought his heart stopped. "Please explain."

"I do not know the details, my lord, but Kala has been sent for most urgently. Lord Tavaro has asked that you join him in Prince Legolas' chamber as quickly as possible."
Thranduil rose to his feet, bringing all those present quickly to standing as well. Without a word, the King turned and left the room, followed closely by an equally worried looking Aldeon.

The first thing that struck Thranduil when he entered Legolas' room was the sound of his son's breathing. No, it was not breathing. It was more like an all-consuming struggle for each rattling breath. With his heart hammering within his chest, he stepped quickly to his son's bedside and looked down.

Legolas lay without moving, his eyes closed and his mouth slightly parted through which he gasped noisily for air. Two patches of hectic colour stood out starkly against a too pale countenance. Thranduil reached out, his hand shaking slightly, and touched his son's fevered cheek.

At his touch, Legolas opened his eyes and a small smile touched the unnaturally roseate lips. He held out his arms to Thranduil. "Ada, I am home."

With infinite gentleness, Thranduil gathered his youngest son into his arms and brushed his lips against the hot brows "Welcome home, my dear heart." He then at last looked at his other son, who stood watching them with exhaustion and fear marring the handsome features. "What has happened? Has he been poisoned?"

Tavaro shook his head numbly. "No, he suffers from an infection of the lungs. I brought him back as quickly as I could."

Thranduil frowned in disbelief. "Infection?"

It was Legolas who answered him, his voice raspy and breathless. "I fell into the river, but Baragallon saved me. There was nearly a flood. And Huor died."

The talking, however, was too much for him and he immediately lapsed into a long, harsh bout of coughing. Thranduil, for once looking completely baffled, looked from one son to the other as he patted Legolas's back in an effort to ease the coughing.

"Adar, be gentle. His back is badly bruised," Tavaro quickly warned.

Thranduil stopped his hand in midair as if stung. "What in the Valar's name has happened?"

At this moment, Kala hurried into the room, followed closely by another healer. Tavaro nearly sagged with relief at the sight of the two. Aldeon quietly stepped up to his brother and put an arm around the other's shoulder. "Come, Tavaro, sit down. You are exhausted. Kala will tend to Legolas now. It will be all right."

Tavaro looked at his brother gratefully and allowed himself to be led to a nearby chair. Vaguely, he heard his older brother ordering a servant to bring forth a tray of hot tea and some food. The hot tea would be most welcome, but Tavaro did not think he could stomach food at the moment.

"My lord, allow him to lie down on the bed so that I may examine him," Kala said to his liege.

"No, do not leave me, Ada," Legolas protested as he clutched his adar's robes. The last thing that he wanted to do was to leave the comfort and security of his ada's arms.

"It is all right, Legolas. Kala needs to examine you," Thranduil said soothingly.

Legolas shook his head. "No, I want you to stay right here." There was a tremour of tears in his voice.

"All right, Legolas, I will stay right here, but you must cooperate with Kala," Thranduil said gently and felt the slight nod against his chest.

Kala smiled knowingly and proceeded with his examination and gentle inquiries of his patient. Legolas, however, was tired and could barely be kept awake to give sensible responses to Kala's questions. Leaving the elfling to sleep in his adar's arms, Kala turned his questioning instead to Tavaro who, after an apprehensive look at the King, began to recount the events that precipitated the hurried journey home. Thranduil and Aldeon listened, white-faced, to the tale without interruptions while Kala nodded from time to time and raised a few questions for clarification.

When Tavaro at last finished speaking, it was to Kala that the King spoke. "Well?"

Accustomed to the King's brusqueness when Thranduil was consumed with concern for the wellbeing of his much loved sons, Kala issued a string of quiet orders to the other healer before responding to his liege.

"The young prince is suffering from an infection to the lungs, no doubt brought on by the near drowning. It is as the healer at the settlement had said. It may be the water that he has ingested into his lungs or the impurities in the river water or both. The first thing that we need to do is ease his breathing and bring his fever down."

"You will be attending to that immediately, of course," Thranduil said in the voice of the King.

Kala nodded. "Breathing in steam from hot water steeped with the necessary herbs will be the first stage of his treatment. We will need to construct a canopy over the prince's bed to contain the steam. That will help to ease his breathing and counter the infection. I am also having teas brewed that will bring his fever down."

"He will be all right?" Thranduil asked.

Kala again nodded. "I am very optimistic."

"That is not sufficient," Thranduil said flatly.

"My lord, I will do all that within my power to help the young prince, and we do not lack the herbs that are needed for his treatment."

After a long moment, Thranduil nodded.

Kala reached forward and stacked several pillows against the headboard. "You may ease him back against the pillows, my lord. Keeping him upright will be easier on his breathing than if he was lying down. I have sent for another healer to sit with the young prince. The steam will loosen the phlegm that is constricting his respiratory tract and lungs. He will need to be watched at all times to ensure that he does not choke on the phlegm."

"I will sit with him. There is no need for the healer,'" Thranduil said.

"It will not be easy on the young prince during this initial stage of the treatment," Kala said gently.

Thranduil's eyes darkened. "Then it is more the reason that I should remain by his side. He should not have to go through it alone."

Kala nodded, not at all surprised by the King's words. He had not really expected Thranduil to leave the side of his precious son, ailing as he was.

Two servants entered the room, each carrying a stack of blankets. Under Kala's careful instructions, they draped the blankets over the bed, creating a canopy that effectively enveloped Legolas behind its folds. Once the canopy was set up to Kala's satisfaction, two other servants came in, one bearing a small brazier and the other balancing a basin of steaming water between his hands. These were set on a small table that had been positioned within the canopy of blankets.

While the servants worked under Kala's instructions, Thranduil had stepped aside to join his other two sons. As the King approached, Tavaro set down his cup of tea and rose to his feet hastily.

Thranduil pressed a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Sit, my son. You look as if you rode without sleep."

"I needed to get Legolas home as quickly as possible." He looked up at his father, misery and guilt clouding his face. "I am sorry, Adar. I promised you that Legolas would come to no harm on this journey. I have failed you."

Thranduil kept his hand on the shoulder and squeezed lightly. "From what you have told me, it is through no fault of yours that Legolas is ill."

The look of misery did not ease from Tavaro's face. "I should have never allowed him to accompany us to the river. I did not realize how dangerous the situation really was."

Thranduil smiled wryly. "Whether you allowed it or not, I am sure your brother would have found a way to the river himself, one way or another. I know my son more than you know your brother." Thranduil sat down onto the chair that Aldeon had pulled forward for him.

Tavaro looked at his father hesitantly. "I allowed Legolas many liberties during our journey. I am not certain whether you would have approved."

Thranduil raised one regal brow. "By the way you speak now, I am certain that I would not have approved, but that too I have expected even before this journey began."

Tavaro looked at the King first in surprise, and then smiled sheepishly. "Yes, I forget my own words to Legolas - that Adar knows everything. Do you want me to tell you of the infractions, or do you have knowledge of them already?"

Thranduil smiled. "No, I do not have knowledge of them already. You credit me with ability that I do not necessarily have. I do not, in fact, know everything as you have claimed, and it may be better that I remain ignorant of the said infractions. Then I can in clear conscience allow you take Legolas on another journey in the future, should you wish to do so."

For a moment, Tavaro looked horror-stricken. "Another journey?"

Aldeon turned his face aside to hide his smile. Thranduil was not only a clever ruler; he was also a very clever Adar.

"Did you not enjoy the time spent with your brother?" Thranduil asked rather innocently.

Tavaro saw the glint in his father's eyes and finally smiled. "Yes, I enjoyed it very much, but I was unprepared for what befell us in the last few days. I felt the weight of the world on me when Legolas took ill." He looked over to where his brother lay behind the curtain of blankets. "Even now, my worries have not ceased. I am glad that you are his adar and I am only his brother."

Thranduil smiled wryly. "It is not easy to be an adar, but the joys are infinite. Someday, I hope you will experience the full extent of them." At that moment, the very harsh sound of coughing erupted from behind the curtain of blankets and the smile disappeared quickly from the King's face. "The worries, too, are infinite. I must see to Legolas. Tavaro, go and rest. You look exhausted. Perhaps Aldeon will accompany you."

Aldeon nodded. "I will be back shortly, Adar, to help you with Legolas."

Thranduil nodded briefly and made his way quickly to his youngest son's bedside. A servant held up one of the blankets and Thranduil eased himself onto the bed, gathering his choking and gagging son into his arms. It was very hot inside the canopy and the acrid fumes of the herbs burned his throat with each inhalation.

"It is all right, my heart. Ada is here," Thranduil said soothingly as held out a cloth to his son's mouth to catch the slimy mess that Legolas was coughing up. The coughing seemed to go on forever and Thranduil's heart tightened with each harsh and convulsive hack that shook his son's body to the core. When it was at last over, Thranduil wiped his son's flushed and damp face with the wet cloth that a servant had passed to him. As terrible as the coughing was, Legolas seemed to be breathing easier already.

"Ada, too hot, the smell --" Legolas was whimpering tearfully as he clutched at his father's robes.

"I know, Legolas, but it will help you to breathe easier. It will soon be over, I promise," Thranduil said as he pushed back the tendrils of damp blond hair that were plastered to the fevered cheeks. He hoped that it would soon be over. Kala had not said how long this part of the treatment would last. Even as he hoped, Legolas broke into another bout of merciless coughing and Thranduil found himself silently cursing Kala for what the healer was putting his son through. It was irrational, he knew, but Thranduil was not inclined to be rational as he helplessly watched his child cough out his very soul.

The bouts of coughing continued until Thranduil thought Legolas could not endure another such seizure. His son lay limply in his arms, too exhausted to even whisper his pitiful pleas of 'no more' or to give sound to his sobs. Thranduil saw the accusing look in the tear-filled eyes of his child and thought his heart would break. Just as Thranduil was about to call an end to the harsh treatment, the blankets were lifted and cool, refreshing air rushed in in reviving waves. The damp blankets were removed quickly and Thranduil caught sight of the grim, worried faces of the healers and his oldest son hovering by the bedside.

Seeing the look of anger on his liege's face, Kala bowed his head. "I am sorry, my lord, I know it was difficult to endure, but it was necessary."

"Adar, let me take Legolas while you go change your robes," Aldeon offered as he reached for his young brother.

Reluctantly, Thranduil relinquished his youngest into the arms of his oldest. "You will need to change his clothes as well."

"I will look after him, Adar," Aldeon assured the King.

With Legolas in his arms, Aldeon moved to a nearby chair and began to strip the sodden tunic off his young brother. It was alarming how much heat was radiating from the limp, thin body. Legolas was utterly spent and in exhausted apathy, allowed his brother fuss over him, seemingly deaf to Aldeon's gentle murmurs of assurance. It was only when Aldeon started to carry him back to the freshly made bed that he seemed to come to life.

"No!" He clutched fearfully at Aldeon's robe. "Not there! I do not want to cough anymore!"

Aldeon hugged him close. "It is all right, little one. It is over now. Kala will give you some tea and then you may rest. You will soon feel much better."

Legolas was not reassured. Aldeon turned so that his brother could see the bed for himself. "See, the blankets are gone. The bed is just for sleeping now."

The look of uncertainty lingered, but Legolas made no further protests as his brother eased him down onto the cool sheets. He watched with apprehension as Kala approached with a cup in hand.

The healer smiled reassuringly at the young elf. "This tea will help to cool you down. You are very hot right now, are you not?"

Legolas nodded reluctantly. "But it will taste bad."

"It will make you feel better," the healer promised.

When Thranduil returned to his son's chamber, Legolas was already deep in sleep. His breathing was still raspy and hitched occasionally, but it was no longer the harsh struggle for each gasp of air. The room was now empty of servants and healers save Kala who sat with Aldeon by the bedside. Both rose to their feet as Thranduil entered.

"How is he?" Thranduil asked as he looked down at his sleeping son.

"I have given him the tea that will help to bring the fever down. He seems to be resting quietly now, and his breathing is much easier," Kala replied.

"Will we have to repeat the treatment with the steam?"

"I do not believe it will be necessary. He appears to be breathing with relative ease right now and once the fever comes down, the healing process will quicken. We will keep the herbal water steaming by his side. He will continue to cough to rid himself of the congestion, but it will not be nearly as harsh as it has been."

"Good, because I do not intend to put my son through such an ordeal again," Thranduil said.

"He should continue to drink the tea. I will have one of the healers bring the tea on regular intervals. Bathing him with cool water will also help," the healer advised.

"I will attend to that," Thranduil said, his eyes glued still to the sleeping face of his child.

"If I may take my leave now, my lord, for there is nothing further that I can do at the moment. I shall return later to check on the young prince." Kala said.

Thranduil nodded. "You may leave." He turned to look at the healer as the latter began to move away. "Thank you, Kala."

The healer bowed and retreated from the room. Thranduil looked at his oldest son. "It is late. You should go and rest."

Aldeon shook his head. "I shall stay and help you with Legolas. I would not be able to sleep in any event."

Thranduil nodded. After a moment, he added, "No doubt we will be joined by Tavaro shortly."

Aldeon smiled. "I am certain of that as well, though he looks as if he has not slept for days."

"It will be with a measure of relief that he returns to duty at Feren's side," Thranduil said. "I doubt he realized before what a journey with his young brother would entail."

Aldeon laughed softly. "Battling orcs and other dark creatures will no doubt present fewer surprises."

Thranduil allowed himself a small smile. "But certainly not as memorable as a journey with Legolas."

Aldeon's smile widened. "No, I imagine not. Are you not at all curious as to what my two brothers were up to while they were away?"

"Certainly, I am curious, and no doubt you are as well, but I am confident that our curiosity will be satisfied in due course," his father said comfortably.

Aldeon was about to pursue this point further when a stirring of blankets and a small moan interrupted them. Thranduil was immediately hovering over his waking son.

"Legolas? How do you feel, child?"

The fever bright eyes blinked in confusion, before apprehension filled them as they darted to the space above the bed. Thranduil read the fear on his son's face and gathered the too warm body into his arms.

"It is all right, Legolas. The blankets are gone. Kala assures me that you will not need to suffer through that again. I am sorry that you had to go through that ordeal, but it was necessary to ease your breathing," Thranduil explained as he gently stroked the bright head.

"I did not like it," Legolas said, his voice hoarse but no longer sounding breathless.

"Nor did I," Thranduil concurred. "Please know that it was as difficult for me as it was for you."

After a pause, Legolas nodded and settled himself into his father's arms with a small sigh. "I am glad to be home, Ada. I have missed you, and Aldeon too."

"And I have missed you, more than you will ever know," Thranduil said softly, brushing his lips against the fine hair.

Sleep was overtaking Legolas once again, and his eyes slowly lost their focus. "It was a wonderful journey, Ada. I have so much to tell you."

"You may tell me all about it when you are feeling better," Thranduil assured him gently.

Legolas was already asleep.

Thranduil's eyes met those of his oldest son, and they both smiled.

THE END

Well, this is the end to another story. I hope it provided a pleasant distraction. I must apologize for the typos, grammatical mistakes and all the little misses that I am sure are rampant throughout. And many sincere thanks to all of you for coming along on this journey, and especially to those who took the time to send me those wonderful reviews. They are greatly appreciated and treasured.






<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List