Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Do not go gentle into that good night  by frodo16424

Sorry for the long wait for an update. Hope you enjoy this chapter.

Ch 9 Signs

Râsual halted the carriage in a small glade. As Telnéth unhitched the horses, Râsual jerked open the door, reached in, and dragged Faramir out.

“So - we meet again, Captain Faramir, leader of the Ithilien Rangers. Our brother was lost because of you. His blood cries out from the ground for revenge. Never again will his voice be heard in our gatherings. He will never again hear the voices of his children nor hear the laughter of his children’s children. His widow weeps, as does his father and mother. He will never see his sons become husbands and fathers, never see his daughters become wives and mothers. This - because of you!”

“Such is the price all must pay in time of war,” replied Faramir. “Young men die. Young widows weep, as do mothers and fathers mourning their loss. There are those who glory in the lust of the battle, rejoicing in the slaying of their foes. I would rather see the young men live, raise their families, and grow old within their allotted span of time.

Know this, Râsual of Harad. I desire peace, yet I will not fail to raise the sword of war should my land and my people be threatened.

Your brother died as a warrior. Let him rest in peace.”

“Our brother will not lie in peace until you die!” hissed Râsual, his eyes blazing with fury. “You will walk to your grave, Faramir of Gondor.”

At sword point, Faramir was forced forward, stumbling over the uneven ground. Each time he stumbled, he made a show of being weak and taking his time in arising. There were stones, small ones that were moved; bushes with branches faintly bent; a leaf here and there stripped from trees; ground litter disturbed by a human foot; all leaving a faint trail that Faramir knew the Dúnedan would spot.

***

Aragorn had Elatan lead them to where he had found Bergil. All could see the marks of the carriage. The tracks led them to the grove where they found the carriage.

As Aragorn searched the carriage, his eyes were drawn to the back wall where he saw some marks that were scratched on the wall. As he looked, he realized the marks were Tengwar.

As Éomer joined him, he showed the Rohhiric King the marks. He explained their meaning. As the two stood there, the moonlight highlighted the letters, making them glow slightly in the light of Idril.

Henneth Annun. Where it started - and now would be finished. Rather than mount and miss the trail, they led the horses, the two Kings leading. It was an open book to one such as the former Ranger. A stone here, a leaf there, subtle changes to the landscape.

***

Henneth Annun. As dawn etched the sky with a cloak of golden light, the three reached their destination. Faramir could hear the ghostly trumpeting of the Mûmakil and the ringing of swords as he and his Rangers clashed with the men of Harad.

‘Yes’, he thought, ‘it will be finished.’ He turned, calmly, and awaited his fate.

  





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List