Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Do not go gentle into that good night  by frodo16424

“I am tired of fighting…from where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.”

Chief Joseph, (In-mut-too-yah-lat-lat - Thunder coming up over the land from the water)

Leader, Nez Perce Indians (1840-1904)

Ch 10 I will fight no more forever

  As Faramir stood, waiting, Telnéth moved forward and cut his bonds. The Haradrim then slid his sword from its scabbard and handed it to Faramir. Râsual glared at his brother.

“What are you doing?” he hissed. “He needs no sword. I have passed judgement. He is to die! You have betrayed our brother!”

Telnéth shook his head. “Nay, there is no betrayal. It is not meet for Lord Faramir to face death with no weapon at hand.” Turning to Faramir, he said, “Your words have found a place in my heart. I, too, would have peace between our people. I wish to see my children and their children living in peace with all. Hear my pledge, Faramir of Ithilien and Gondor. I will fight no more forever. Ever will I keep this promise.”

“You are no son of Harad, nor are we brothers. I name you oath breaker. Let every Haradrim raise his sword against you. Our people will know you for the traitor you are! You betray your family and the people of Harad!” raged Râsual.

“Our brother died because of the promises of the Nameless One! Promises were made that were never to be kept. Lies and losses were what we received from Mordor. He, not I, was the oath breaker!” Telnéth moved toward Râsual as he spoke. “Please, my brother. Release the steward. Let us return to our homes and families.” He held out his hand for the sword.

Râsual, eyes flashing with hatred, brought his sword up. Faramir yelled a warning, but it was not in time. Râsual thrust the sword into his brother’s body. Telnéth sank to the ground, whispering, “I forgive you.”

The Haradrim drew the sword from the lifeless body. He stared down at his brother. Turning, he saw Faramir holding his sword. The two protagonists faced each other. There would only be one outcome - death.

***

Aragorn had lost the trail in a rocky area. He dismounted and searched on foot. He noticed an area that was lighter. He knelt down, studying the ground. He saw that a rock, pointed at one end, had been slightly turned. His gaze automatically followed the pointing rock. As he searched, he saw a faint trail emerging.

Signaling his companions, he showed them the trail. They knew they were closing in. Dew had settled on the rocky soil except where rocks had been disturbed. This told them they were not far behind their quarry.

Suddenly, they heard the sounds of swords singing a duel of death. Aragorn led the way to Henneth Annûn, for he now knew where Râsual had taken Faramir.

**

Faramir and Râsual circled each other, probing for any weakness. Their swords rang as they clashed. Both had numerous small cuts, but none were life-threatening.

As Faramir stepped back quickly to avoid being struck, the heel of his boot caught on a tree root. Small though it was, it caused the Steward to stumble backwards, thereby giving Râsual a moment to bring his sword to bear upon Faramir. With a feral smile, the Haradrim raised his sword and sliced downward upon the hapless Prince of Ithilien.

Faramir recovered his balance and was able to counter the attack. He then began to attack, forcing Râsual to retreat.

Râsual saw an opening and went in, driving his sword into Faramir’s side. Faramir could feel the wetness as his blood flowed from his wound. He stood there, panting, willing the pain to subside. He dropped his sword to his side, as though it were too heavy to lift. Râsual, triumphant, raised his sword to end the Steward’s life.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List