Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Do not go gentle into that good night  by frodo16424

Ch 8 Abducted

 

Râsual dragged the smaller of the two trees across the road, blocking it. He then hid his horse and waited for the carriage to appear. He did not have to wait long. He watched from concealment as the driver stopped and got down from the box to assess the situation. Râsual could see the driver was wary, standing with his hand on his sword, as he approached the obstacle.

Râsual made his move, grabbing the driver from behind and putting a gloved hand over his mouth. The driver fought desperately to save himself as well as the Prince of Ithilien. Râsual drove a dagger into his back and caught him as he fell. Quickly, he moved the body into the brush and quietly approached the carriage.

Faramir heard footsteps approaching and sat back, waiting for the door to open. Suddenly, the door was thrown open and there was the Haradrim, holding a sword to Faramir’s chest. “Râsual, I believe?” said the Prince of Ithilien coolly. He pretended not to see the sword in the man’s hand.

“Aye, Captain Faramir. We finally meet. Your life is forfeit. You killed my brother, now I will take your life,” said Râsual with a feral smile. “However, I will give you the chance my brother never had. We will fight to the death. Not here, though. You know where you will die.” As he finished speaking, he entered the carriage and took a piece of rope and forced Faramir’s arms behind him, binding them. He missed the dagger Faramir had secreted beneath the cushions. He then bound Faramir’s legs together, shoving Faramir back.

Râsual then mounted the box and guided the horses around the obstacle. As he whipped the animals into a gallop, Faramir was able to retrieve his dagger. He knew he would not be able to cut the rope, so instead he managed to get the dagger and scratched a note as to his destination, for he did indeed know where Râsual was taking him. He only hoped Aragorn would be with the rescue party, and that his note would be found. Faramir then settled back, conserving his strength for the coming fight.

Meanwhile, at Emyn Arnen, Éowyn awaited Faramir’s arrival. The later it grew, so too did her unease. She paced, hoping to hear the sound of wheels that did not arrive. As dusk drew nigh, she sent for a guard to ride the route and offer assistance, should it be needed.

As the guard neared the ambush site, he could see, in the light of the full moon, the tracks of the carriage where it went off the path. Alighting, he searched the surrounding area, afraid what he might find. A short distance into the woods, he found the driver. As he reached to check for a pulse, he realized blood was still seeping around the dagger. Quickly, he retrieved his bag of herbs and bandages that Faramir insisted all the guards carried. He opened it, taking folded pieces of linen and putting them around the dagger. He then took strips and wound them around the pads, holding them in place. Taking the man in his arms, he set the injured driver in the saddle, making sure he did not touch the small dagger. He turned the injured man slightly so the dagger was in the clear and, having gotten into the saddle, he rode for Minas Tirith. 

Upon the guard’s arrival, King Elessar was immediately summoned. The King strode into the Houses of Healing. “Elatan? Please tell me everything you saw.”

Elatan did as he was bade, told of the tree across the road, finding the driver, giving aid, and bringing him to Minas Tirith. He told of the tracks leaving the road, branching off into the unknown.

“I will send word to Lady Éowyn. Would you be willing to ride with me?” Aragorn asked as he turned to leave. He signaled to a young page as he wrote a quick note. “Please find Éomer King and give him this message. Wait for a reply, then meet me in my study, please.”

“Aye, my liege. I will ride with you,” replied Elatan.

“Aye, Sire,” said the young boy as he dashed for the Citadel. Aragorn smiled, then, turning back to Elatan, grew serious. “Thank you for bringing Bergil back. He will live. Please take rest and eat. We will leave within an hour.” Aragorn then left the Houses of Healing and headed back to the King’s apartments.

Entering his study, he wrote to Éowyn, giving her all the information he had. He left out nothing, adding his assurances that he would find Faramir, and bring him home. As he sealed the message, there came a knock on the door. “Enter,” he called out. He handed the document to a messenger with instructions for its delivery to Ithilien.

Éomer came in, saying, “I am ready. Let us go and find our brother and bring him back.”

Aragorn agreed and the two kings left for the stables, gathering supplies as they went. There were several guards ready to ride. After conferring, it was decided that only four would go with the rescue party. They would be able to travel faster with fewer men.

Both Aragorn and Éomer hoped they would not be too late as they galloped out of Minas Tirith.

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List