Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections from the Paradise of Elves  by Bodkin

The Paradise of Elves – Part 33:  Hanging Around 

 

‘How did we get into this?’ Elrohir asked as he looked down from the tree to the water swirling round the sturdy trunk.

‘Stupidity?’ Legolas suggested.

‘Well, that is a possibility,’ his friend conceded. ‘Although it is one I would prefer you not to put to my wife.  She seems to be under the impression that I am an elf of many talents.’

Elladan descended from his vantage point.  ‘Although she has not told you what those talents are.’  He sighed.  ‘We will have to wait for the flooding to go down,’ he said. ‘This very useful oak is not close enough to any other for us to escape through the trees and the water is flowing too fast for us to be able to wade safely.’

Legolas lay back easily along the branch.  ‘There are worse places to be,’ he shrugged. 

‘We only came out to fish,’ Elrohir complained.  ‘How is it that even such a simple thing should end up with us in trouble?’

‘I remember a time,’ Legolas mused, ‘when we could not walk from the Citadel to the gates of Minas Tirith without getting into trouble.’

‘And when we could not leave the borders of Imladris without becoming the target of every orc west of Mirkwood.’

‘Come to that,’ Elrohir conceded, ‘even inanimate objects seemed to have something against us.  Do you recall that landslip in the Misty Mountains?’

‘Still,’ Legolas added.  ‘We always seemed to survive relatively unscathed.’

Elrohir laughed.  ‘How many times has Adar patched you up?’

‘Not at many times as he has watched over your sick beds.’

They lapsed into a companionable silence for a few minutes.

‘Where do you think this flood came from?’ Elladan asked.

‘Upstream,’ his brother informed him.

‘Oh, very witty.’ Elladan shifted his position. ‘I mean, there has been no rain for weeks.  I cannot understand how the river should flood now.’

Legolas propped himself on one elbow, looking as comfortable as if he were reclining on his own bed.  ‘There have been storms in the mountains,’ he pointed out.  ‘I suspect the waters built up behind a dam of fallen debris until the weight became too much.’ He looked at the muddy waters lapping at the tree.  ‘It will pass quite quickly,’ he decided.  ‘Although probably not quickly enough for us to return home before Adar expects us to present ourselves at his reception.’

‘More trouble,’ Elladan sighed.

‘At least we will not be sent to our rooms in disgrace.’

‘I would not count on that, my friend,’ Legolas said thoughtfully.  ‘Elerrina was looking forward to this evening.  She will not be pleased that we have spoilt it for her.’

‘I am constantly surprised,’ Elladan admitted, ‘how efficiently my wife can punish me for any transgressions.  She is much better at it than ever Adar was.  What is more, half the time she manages to do it with a smile on her face while saying absolutely nothing at all.’

‘Miriwen is impressive,’ Elrohir agreed.  ‘Sirithiel forgives me – I think it is even worse.  She has me doing anything to recompense her for what I have made her endure.’

‘You should have chosen ellyth with that delicious hint of red in their hair, my friends.’  Legolas shook his head.  ‘Elerrina does not generally concern herself with subtlety when she is annoyed.  If I push her beyond the bounds of courtesy her naneth instilled in her, she will shout.’

‘We have heard her.’  The twins exchanged grins.

‘I have often wondered what the result would be if Elerrina and Thranduil decided to fight it out.’

Legolas laughed. ‘It would be no contest.  Thranduil would give in to her at once – and then make her feel so bad that she would grant him back every concession he had made and more.’

‘Have you thought of practising his technique?’

‘No, my friend,’ Legolas grinned.  ‘I prefer the making up that comes after the dispute.  That way, we have twice the fun.’

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List