Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Reflections from the Paradise of Elves  by Bodkin

The Paradise of Elves – Part 34:  Elfling Power

‘How are you feeling?’ Elladan asked his brother sympathetically.

‘Guilty,’ Elrohir admitted.  ‘She looked at me with those big eyes that told me that I was being totally unreasonable and let her lip tremble just a little.’

‘I hope you refused to give in,’ Legolas commented.

‘I was strong,’ Elrohir boasted.  ‘I kept my head down so that I could frown at her and told her that I was not going to give way on this.’

‘And?’

‘She let a big tear form in each eye – and when I put my foot down, she let them spill over.  I have never felt so cruel in my life.’

‘Did you break?’ Elladan enquired with amusement.

‘I would have done,’ his twin admitted.  ‘I was teetering on the edge of giving twice what she asked and apologising to boot, but fortunately her naneth came in at that point, and Aewlin knew that the game was up.  After that, all I had to do was keep frowning, while Sirithiel saw off the challenge.’

Elladan laughed.  ‘I hope when Miriwen decides we need another elfling that we are blessed with a daughter.  They seem so much more entertaining than sons.’

‘Well,’ Legolas commented dryly, ‘that is one way of putting it.  Although I am of the opinion that sons can be fairly amusing, too.  Who was it that decided it would be interesting to find out what would happen if he added some – additional items – to the list of goods to be brought from the market?’

‘That made me laugh, actually,’ Elladan admitted.  ‘I was quite hard pressed to keep a straight face while I performed in my stern Adar role.’

‘It depresses me,’ Elrohir revealed, ‘that you seem to have so little trouble with Eleniel.  Aewlin and Nimloth seem to keep me constantly alert as I watch out for their next scheme, but your offspring seem as reasonable as Elrin.’

‘It is a deception,’ Legolas smiled.  ‘Eleniel is just a little more subtle than Aewlin – she has learned to set to work long before it comes to the confrontation in the study.  And Galenthil knows only too well that, if he really wants something, the best way to obtain it is to convince Eleniel that she wants it too – and then set her to work on Daeradar.’

‘Were we this bad, my brother?’ Elrohir reflected.

‘Worse, I expect,’ Elladan confirmed.  ‘We cannot know about our little prince here, but I cannot imagine that his blond locks and big blue eyes were any less effective in his youth.’

‘Adar would not have dreamed of letting me get away with what he encourages my offspring to do,’ Legolas said firmly. 

‘Our adar managed to be fairly firm with us, as I recall,’ Elladan informed him, ‘but he was putty in Arwen’s hands.  You should have learnt, my brother. Do you remember when we thought it would be funny to draw up a list of rules for Adar’s benefit?  How did it go?  Never let her catch your eye.  Never let her start a sentence with ‘But, Ada.’  Never let her make physical contact. If the lip starts to tremble, turn her briskly around and have her face the wall.  Somehow ellyth are much less winning once they actually start to squall.’

‘I must encourage Miriwen to think about the advantages of having elflings close together in age,’ Elrohir said, looking at his brother in disgust.  ‘I think you will find the game entirely less predictable when you are the one being victimised.’

‘What was she trying to coax out of you anyway?’ Legolas asked curiously.

‘Mice.’

‘Mice?’

‘She has a desire to fill the nursery with small furry rodents she can pet.’

‘Remain strong, my brother,’ Elladan said firmly.  ‘Remember one mouse can become an infestation in less time than it takes to track them to your wardrobe.’

‘You speak from experience?’

‘I do – by the time we returned from patrol, Arwen’s sweet little Nibble had become a great grandmother and was reclining happily with half her horde in my best boots.’

‘For the Valar’s sake, do not tell that story to Aewlin,’ Elrohir begged.  ‘She will look on it as a precedent.  And if she feels we had something to do with it, we will not have a leg to stand on.’

‘Let her have a kitten,’ Legolas shrugged.

‘A kitten?’ Elrohir repeated doubtfully.

‘You know,’ his friend teased, ‘a young cat.  They spend most of their time sleeping in the sun.  And they catch mice.’

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List