Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Betrayal  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 2 – The Trap is Set

The autumn day held a hint of unmistakable crispness and a promise that winter was not far away. The fact that his thoughts had strayed to the weather surprised even himself. Indeed, Legolas could not recall the last time he had felt a change in the temperature, or to consider whether he should return to his chamber for his cloak when there was no snow on the ground. It was another reminder that his body was still healing, he thought with a certain amount of annoyance. Unconsciously, his hand trailed to his side where the arrow had pierced it in what seemed a lifetime ago. The wounds had long since closed, but his side was still inordinately sore and tender, especially if he moved too quickly or if he overtired himself, which sometimes could simply be getting out of bed, he thought wryly. The slowness of his body to recover its strength was frustrating and more than once, he had been tempted to throw caution to the wind and resume activities that had been as natural as breathing when he was hale. No doubt that would had put his body and Kala into a frenzy, not to mention how his father would react should he take on such a reckless pursuit.

A small smile touched his lips as he thought of his father. To be fair, Thranduil had been surprisingly restrained and tolerant from the day he had at last ventured beyond his sickbed. He could readily recall occasions in the past when his father would keep him bedridden for weeks on end for a much lesser injury. That he had been allowed to be up and about in such a relatively short time was indicative of the fact that perhaps his father truly meant to treat him as more of a young adult than as a child as he had so annoyingly done in the past. It was a gratifying thought. It was something that he had longed for for years now, but it had come with a price.

His heart tightened painfully as he made his way, alone, toward the training fields. Salque was not there anymore, to accompany him on such mundane outings as these. How often in the past had he tried to escape his shadow, as he had teasingly called Salque, who would merely smile and continue to follow his young charge as he had done so tirelessly and faithfully since the day his king had assigned him this at times thankless role. Legolas swallowed, forcing back unwanted emotions. The tears no longer came so easily and uncontrollably now. When they did come, it was usually in the quiet privacy of his own bed, late at nights, away from concerned and prying eyes. But even those occasions were becoming fewer and shorter in duration. Someday, he supposed, he would no longer cry at the loss of the elf who had been a second father to him, but to recall with a smile the fond memories of the times that he and Salque had spent together. But for now, he would have to learn to cope with that empty void that threatened to drain him of energy and will.

He came to a stop at the side of the training field where a group of warriors were sparring with each other, the knives flashing and gleaming in the brilliant autumn sunshine. He found himself mesmerized by the graceful yet deadly movements of his fellow elves as they pranced and leapt around each other, blocking possibly lethal blows from one warrior and dealing out strikes that were quite as unforgiving to another. Even in training, a Mirkwood elf did not spare himself or his fellow warriors, for he had known the danger of the Shadow for far too long. One fought as diligently in practices as in real battle, as one false move could easily lead to injury or possibly, death. Though Legolas had never heard of anyone being killed during practices, injuries were sometimes unavoidable. For the novice warriors, the weapons were of course blunted and could cause no real harm, but the bruises that they inflicted were no less painful. Legolas recalled the numerous times that he himself had come back from a training exercise decked out in bruises, swearing to himself that he would work that much harder in the next practice to avoid being so marked again. There were times that he wanted to question the viciousness of these practice battles, but having now witnessed and fought at a real battle himself, he could now understand the demand placed on a Mirkwood warrior. There was no mercy on a battlefield.

The training exercise appeared to be over as warriors were beginning to disperse from the field. One was making his way to where Legolas was standing. It was Hesin.

He clasped the younger elf’s arm in warrior fashion. "Greetings, Prince Legolas."

The gesture was not lost on Legolas and he felt unduly grateful toward the older elf for the recognition.

"Greetings, Hesin. It appears you have fully recovered from your injuries."

"Yes, well, the legs are still a little stiff, but they improve daily, thank the Valar. And you, my prince, how have your fared?" The older warrior eyed the young elf rather critically, taking note of the still obvious pallor and the too thin body.

"Kala says I am healing well, but I am afraid I am not ready for any strenuous activities yet. Even a leisurely walk sometimes taxes my strength," Legolas said rather forlornly. "Sometimes I wonder whether I possess the natural elven ability to heal quickly." Legolas found that it was far easier to admit his weaknesses to ones who were outside the immediate family, knowing that the outsiders could do little to hinder his relative freedom.

"It was a grave wound that you suffered so it is only natural that it will take time for you to completely heal. Fret not, young prince. I have no doubt that you will soon regain your natural ability as a formidable warrior that you have already proven yourself to be. I look forward to the day that we will be fighting side by side again."

"Thank you, Hesin. Your words are kind." Legolas could not help but smile.

"It is I who should thank you, my prince, for you saved my life. I would not be here had you not acted so valiantly and selflessly in battle. I am indebted to you for eternity," Hesin said in all earnestness.

"I acted as any Mirkwood warrior would in the circumstances. I recall it was you who told me that the duty of a warrior was to look after his fellow warriors. I merely carried out my duty." A trace of colour showed under Legolas’ pale skin.

"Nevertheless, I thank you with all my heart. Should you require my services at all in anything, you have but to ask." Hesin bowed deeply to the young elf.

Legolas was touched by the other’s words and action. He reached out and clasped the older warrior’s shoulder. "Thank you, Hesin. I shall keep your generous offer in mind."

"Will you be heading back to the palace now, my prince?"

Legolas shook his head. "I want to go over to the archery field. Though I cannot yet pull the bow, it soothes me to watch others doing it."

"I will walk with you," Hesin offered.

Legolas hesitated. "My father has not asked you to do so, has he?"

Hesin looked taken back for a brief moment and then laughed. "No, the King has not asked me to watch over you, though I would gladly do so of my own accord. You said yourself that you are not ready for strenuous activities. It may be prudent to have someone by your side as a precaution."

"A precaution to what? What can possibly happen to me within these walls? The place is positively lurking with warriors everywhere I turn," Legolas said with some his former exasperation. "Unless I look so frail that you fear my falling flat on my face on my next step forward."

Hesin laughed good-naturedly. "I meant no disrespect, my young prince. I thought perhaps you may want company."

"I am sorry, Hesin. I guess I am just frustrated with this prolonged inactivity on my part. I yearn to be my old self again."

"It takes time, my prince, like everything else. But it will happen, so do not be impatient. Would you like me to accompany you to the archery field then?"

Legolas surprised himself with a laugh. It had seemed so long since he had last laughed. It felt good. "It would appear that you are doing so anyway. Yes, come along. I can do with the company."

The archery field was but a short walk away and they covered the distance in companionable silence. The silence stretched on as Legolas watched with longing while several warriors shot arrow after arrow into distant targets. How he wished to feel the tautness of the bowstring under his fingers again, and to experience the elation once more as the arrow slam into a target with a satisfactory thud.

His roving eyes fell upon one warrior in particular and proceeded to watch the other’s movements with close scrutiny. After ten arrows found their mark in the target one after the other, Legolas nodded to himself.

"He is improving," he said, half under his breath.

"Who?" Hesin asked beside him.

"Meldon, the archer in the middle. He comes daily to practise and has improved much over recent days," Legolas explained. "He is one of the palace guards and has wanted to further his archery skills."

"Have you been training him?" Hesin asked.

Legolas smiled and shook his head. "I am far too young to train anybody with their skills. We merely discuss the art of archery. Like I said previously, even though I lack the strength yet to pull a bow, it is surprisingly satisfying just to watch and talk of archery with another who is keen on its dynamics. Like you, he too has offered his company as I roam about these grounds. We often go beyond the exterior gates to check on the reconstruction of the cottages." A small smile touched his lips. "I often think my adar has sent him to watch over me, though I have never questioned him in that regard. He is unobtrusive enough and I rather like his company."

"It appears you are in good hands. I will leave you then as I have other matters that I must attend to," the older warrior said.

Legolas regarded him rather suspiciously. "I am in good hands? Are you telling me the truth when you say that my adar did not send you to watch over me?"

Hesin laughed. "I swear it on my honour as a Mirkwood warrior. No, the King has not sent me, though I cannot guarantee that is the case with Meldon. Good day, my prince. I am sure I will see you again at the training fields."

Soon after Hesin’s departure, Legolas was joined by Meldon.

"Greetings, Prince Legolas," he saluted rather formally.

Legolas winced inwardly. "Greetings, Meldon, though I wish you are not quite so formal. There are few years between us and I would much prefer that you address me by name than by my title."

"But you are the prince and I am but a palace guard," the other objected.

"We are both subjects of the King," Legolas reminded. "Would you have me then address you as Palace Guard Meldon?"

The other laughed and hitched the bow over his shoulder. "Legolas, then."

"Good," Legolas nodded. "I see you have once again improved with your bow."

"You are a good teacher," Meldon said.

Legolas shook his head. "At my age, I dare not claim to be a teacher to anyone. Are you free to take a walk with me to the cottages or must you return to duty?"

"I am not due on duty until this evening. I would be pleased to walk with you. Perhaps we can take a different route this time," he paused suddenly with a frown. "But it is not as easy a route as the main path itself and you are still recovering -"

Legolas cut in quickly. "I am fine. A new route will be most welcome. Besides, I am probably familiar with the path that you are thinking of. It goes deeper into the woods before circling out to the clearing where the cottages are. It will be more scenic."

"How are you familiar with these routes?" Meldon asked in surprise.

Legolas smiled. "My brothers asked me that not too long ago. I have spent much time studying maps of Mirkwood. Though I do not wish to sound boastful, but I am probably more familiar with the geography of Mirkwood than most, and that includes my older brothers."

There was a look of admiration in the other’s eyes. "I would not have thought that someone like you would spend time studying maps. I mean, being a prince-"

Legolas laughed. "I may be the King’s son, but I am really not that much different from the other elves of Mirkwood. I eat, breathe and sleep like all the others."

The other elf regarded him silently for a moment. "I do not think you are like the others. Are you certain you wish to take the new route?"

"I will be fine if you are concerned about my well being. It is high time that I do more than shuffle along like a near dead." With a surge of energy that he had not felt for quite some time, Legolas took the lead and headed toward the exterior gate, followed more slowly by Meldon. The guard at the gate cheerfully greeted the familiar sight of the two elves as they made their way beyond the palace walls.

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List