Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Betrayal  by Manderly

See Ch. 1 for disclaimer.

Ch. 3 –Traitors Within

Tavaro slipped off his dusty cloak and tossed it to the servant hurrying behind him.

"The King is in his study with Lord Aldeon. Allow me to go ahead to announce you, my lord." The servant almost had to run to keep up with the other’s long strides.

"I know he is in his study. That is where I am heading. And there is no need for you to announce me for I am sure my adar will recognize his own son. I have been away but for a few days, after all."

"But my lord -", the servant protested.

Tavaro stopped so abruptly that the servant almost ran into him. He turned and smiled at the harried elf. "You may, however, bring us wine. I have had a long ride and my dusty throat needs cleansing."

"Yes, Lord Tavaro." The servant bowed rather stiffly and turned away. Tavaro smiled to himself as he watched the other’s departing back. Sometimes the servants were simply too eager to create their own sense of pomp and pageantry. He shook his head and continued his way down the hall, the smile fading from his face as he contemplated the news that he was about to impart to his father. Thranduil was not going to be pleased.

He knocked lightly and slipped in, shutting the door behind him.

"Tavaro!" Aldeon rose from his chair and quickly embraced his brother. "Welcome home."

Released from his brother’s arms, Tavaro turned to his father. "Greetings, Adar."

"Welcome home, my son," Thranduil embraced him in turn. "I am glad you have returned safely."

"Thank you, Adar. It is good to be home, but I am afraid I bear ill news."

"Feren is well?" Thranduil asked rather sharply.

"He is well," Tavaro answered quickly.

Thranduil nodded and gestured to a chair. "Sit down. You must be weary. Aldeon, send for wine."

"Adar, I have already taken the liberty to do so," Tavaro said with a smile and cocked his head at the sound of knocking. "Ah, I believe our refreshment arrives."

Aldeon could not help but grin at his younger brother. It was nice to have Tavaro home again and if the hint of a bemused smile on Thranduil’s lips was any indication, he was certain that the King held similar sentiments.

After the servant had departed, Tavaro sat back in his chair and took a long drink from his goblet, savouring the smooth liquid as it ran down his throat. "This is what I miss the most when I am on patrol. Nothing soothes like a nice goblet of wine." Almost reluctantly, he set down his goblet and straightened. "Adar, the news that I --".

Thranduil held up his hand. "We will finish the wine first. What ill news you bring can wait."

Tavaro smilingly obliged as he picked up his goblet once again. "Where is Legolas? Is he still confined to his room?"

"No, he has been up and about, though I would prefer that he rests more. I believe he spends much of his day watching others on the training fields, as well as taking walks to the outlying cottages," Thranduil replied.

"Are those part of his new princely responsibilities?" Tavaro asked with a grin.

"Certainly not responsibilities that I have assigned to him," Thranduil said. "But the routine seems to sooth him. He is still healing, in more ways than one." He drained his goblet and set it down. Taking their cue from him, his sons followed suit. "So, Tavaro, what news do you bring, though I fear I know the answer already."

Tavaro nodded. "It is as we all feared. We were betrayed from within."

"How many? And do you have their names?" Thranduil asked in a tight voice.

"As far as Feren and I can determine, there are two."

Thranduil looked surprised. "Two only? Are you certain? Perhaps the news is not as dire as I expect it to be. Who are they?"

"Manveru and Ambartur. They are the sons of Yulion, one of the elders of a rather remote settlement in the southeast."

"Manveru and Ambartur. Are they not scouts?" Thranduil asked.

Tavaro was once again amazed at the wide grasp of knowledge that Thranduil had over his kingdom. Tavaro wondered fleetingly whether there was a single elf in Mirkwood that Thranduil was unfamiliar with.

"Yes, they are scouts, and both had brought back reports of orcs amassing in the south, independently of each other. And since they have proven themselves to be excellent scouts in the past, no suspicion was raised concerning their findings."

Thranduil narrowed his eyes. "The next question is, why? Why would they betray their own kind? What do they hope to gain?"

"Ambartur had a son, by the name of Corintur. He served under Feren’s patrol until he was killed last year. He was an excellent warrior, very popular with his fellow warriors."

"Yes, I do recall that. I spoke personally with Ambartur after the funeral. He was very distraught at the time. So it is revenge that he seeks for the loss of his son? He would bring down all of Mirkwood for one death?" There was a hard edge to Thranduil’s voice. "No, there must be more to this."

"Adar, the name of their father is familiar. Yulion…" Aldeon interrupted. "Did he not come to you at one time to petition for more warriors to patrol the area around his settlement?"

Thranduil nodded. "Yes, Yulion, a most difficult petitioner. He demanded that I send a contingent of warriors to permanently guard his settlement. I had to refuse, of course. We cannot station warriors at any one settlement on a permanent basis. We do not have enough warriors for such arrangements."

"That clarifies the picture somewhat," Tavaro suddenly said.

His father looked at him questioningly.

"We have discovered that there are ongoing dealings between Yulion’s settlement and the Easterlings."

Thranduil’s eyes narrowed again. "They have been dealing with Men? In what ways?"

"Feren attempted to make inquiries of some of the elves in that settlement, though few were forthcoming with information," Tavaro said. "In the end, it was Yulion who told us of the dealings, in a very disdainful manner, I might add. The Men had apparently come to their aid on occasions when orcs threatened the safety of the settlement. The settlers in turn provide the Men with their surplus food and allow them to hunt in the nearby woods."

Thranduil’s brows darkened. "Turning to Men for help and let them trample freely through our woods? That is completely unacceptable! I may not be able to provide them with a permanent force to protect them, but I have ensured that patrols pass through that area as frequently as within reason to make sure of their safety. I have received no further complaints from Yulion. I had assumed that he was satisfied with the arrangement. I can see now that I had assumed incorrectly. I will have to deal with Yulion when I have dealt with his traitorous sons. Perhaps Yulion is also involved. I want Ambartur and Manveru arrested at once. I do not suppose they are here?"

Tavaro shook his head. "They have not been seen since the orcs attacked, with good reason. Feren has already sent out word that they are to be arrested immediately and has set a watch on the settlement as well. Nobody will be leaving or entering that settlement without scrutiny. Yulion is extremely angry at the "scandalous treatment of his people" – his very words."

"He is fortunate to feel anger still. When I am through with him, he will be feeling more than anger, if he feels anything at all," Thranduil said coldly. "It is unlikely that two lone elves, or the entire settlement for that matter, can mobilize an army of orcs of that size. The Easterlings are involved in this. They have colluded with the forces of evil often enough in the past even against their own kind. They certainly will not hesitate to do so against elves. They have long eyed the woodland realm with their greedy eyes. No doubt the occupants of the settlement have been promised a share of the spoils if they help to bring Mirkwood down. Well, they will not succeed, not as long as I am the King of Mirkwood. Anyone who conspired with the Easterlings will pay the price. I will not tolerate treachery among our own people. I want all the elders of that settlement brought back to the palace. They will be tried and justice will be meted out if they are found guilty. I want all to know what fate befalls traitors so that none will be tempted to follow the same treacherous path."

"Does Ambartur not have another son who serves as a palace guard? The name escapes me at the moment," Aldeon spoke up.

Thranduil’s head snapped up. "You are right. I have nearly forgotten. His name is Meldon. I want him arrested as well, immediately. Aldeon, see to it. And where is Legolas? I want him found and brought back to the palace. I do not want him outside these palace walls until these traitors are found and arrested."

"I have somebody guarding Legolas already. The guard has been told not to let Legolas out of his sight. I am sure he is safe, Adar," Aldeon said. "By your leave, I will go now and pass on your order on Meldon’s arrest."

"And I will go and retrieve the bratling," Tavaro said, getting up from his seat as well. "Worry not, Adar, I shall keep him under my wings until such time as you deem it safe for him to wander about unfettered. His newly found independence is certainly short-lived."

Thranduil grunted in a most unkingly manner. "It is for his own well-being."

"I doubt that he will see it as such," Tavaro grinned. "Come Aldeon. You and I both have our orders to follow, though I do not know which of us has the more difficult task, keeping a wayward elfling in rein or arresting traitors."

"Aldeon, Tavaro, be careful," Thranduil said as they both headed toward the door.

"We will, Adar," Aldeon answered and closed the door behind him.

Two guards almost immediately materialized as they stepped out into the hallway. The brothers returned their salute and left them guarding the door to Thranduil’s study.

Tavaro threw a questioning look at his older brother. "There must be a new code of security since I was last home. You have Legolas under guard. You even have Adar under guard. Where is mine?"

Aldeon smiled. "You are an accomplished warrior. You can protect yourself." The smile faded as his thoughts turned to more pressing matters. "I must hurry and send out word for Meldon’s arrest, as well as that of his father and uncle." He clasped his brother’s shoulder lightly. "Go and find Legolas before Adar himself goes to search for him."

"Fret not, I will bring the elfling home before you finish carrying out Adar’s orders," Tavaro said cheerfully.

As it turned out, that was not to be the case. An hour later, Tavaro found himself once more outside Thranduil’s study and this time, bearing news that he knew would send the King into a downward spiral of despair such as that he himself was already feeling. Oblivious to the two guards standing by the door, Tavaro let himself into the study without even knocking.

One look at his son’s worry-wrought face, Thranduil felt his heart constrict with a nameless fear. "Where is Legolas?"

"Meldon has him," Tavaro said bluntly, hating the sound of his own words.

"Are you certain?"

"The guard at the exterior gate has confirmed it. Apparently, Meldon has accompanied Legolas out of the palace for a number of days now. The guard saw nothing amiss."

At that moment, there was a knock on the door and Aldeon slipped into the room quietly.

"Adar, the order is out for the arrest of Ambartur, Manveru and Meldon. I expect that Meldon will be brought to us shortly."

"It is too late,’ Thranduil said as he slumped back in his chair. "Meldon has Legolas."

"How can that be?" Aldeon asked, looking from the stricken face of his father to that of his brother.

"It is true. We do not know how that came to be, but we cannot waste any more time. We must ride out after Legolas," Tavaro said urgently. "Adar, by your leave, I will gather some men and go immediately."

"Wait, it may not be as dire as it seems. I have assigned a guard to watch over Legolas. He will not allow Meldon to harm Legolas," Aldeon said.

"We cannot be certain of that for we do not know who else may be involved with Meldon. We must ride out immediately," Tavaro insisted. "Meldon already has more than two hours’ head start."

"Yes, someone must ride out after Legolas, but not you, Tavaro. You have just returned and are too weary to make another journey so soon," Thranduil said at last, the authority once more back in his voice. "Aldeon, gather some men together and ride out after your brother."

"Adar, I am not weary. I must go and find Legolas," Tavaro protested.

"No, Tavaro. You are staying. Aldeon, waste no more time, go!" Thranduil’s voice brooked no further argument.

"I will bring him back, Adar. Do not worry," Aldeon said with a confidence that his heart did not feel. He clasped the shoulder of a crestfallen Tavaro briefly. "Tavaro, I will bring our brother back."

Tavaro nodded. "I have faith in you, brother."

"Aldeon, take care," Thranduil embraced his oldest son and whispered an anguished plea. "Bring him back, Aldeon. I cannot bear to lose him again."

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List