Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Act of Betrayal  by Manderly

Disclaimer: Some characters are my own, but others and the settings are borrowed from Tolkien.

A/N This is a sequel to From Princeling to Warrior. If you have not read the first story, you may not be familiar with some of the characters and setting of this second story.

Chapter 1 – Healing

Thranduil frowned. Watching Legolas push away his half-eaten plate of food, the King was about to lecture his youngest on the importance of nutrition during the course of convalescence, but then abruptly clamped his mouth shut. After all, it was only days ago that he had acknowledged Legolas to be the equal of some of Mirkwood’s most accomplished warriors, and accomplished warriors did not need their adars reminding them to finish all the food on their plates. It had been difficult, if not impossible, to will himself to see his youngest as no longer a child, but as a budding young warrior who soon would be a match for even his older brothers. The fact that Legolas was still looking rather pale and thin only served to make things even more difficult for Thranduil. At times, the urge to resort once again to being the overprotective adar was overwhelming. Thranduil could only hope that, with time, it would all become easier. His tongue was getting rather sore from the countless times that he had to bite back some paternal chiding.

"Adar, may I be excused?" His thoughts were interrupted by the very being who was the culprit of instigating such thoughts.

Thranduil pulled his eyes from the half-eaten plate to the wan face of his youngest son. Legolas looked tired. A flash of concern surged through him in spite of himself.

"Legolas, perhaps you should be resting more during the day rather than walking about so much," Thranduil tried to keep his voice level.

His son frowned. "I have been bedridden for far too long. My body will never recover its strength if I continue to sit and do nothing. I am fine, Adar."

"You have been spending much time on the training fields lately, have you not?" Thranduil asked.

"Yes, but I merely watch. Do not worry, Adar. I am not quite as foolish as to believe that I am ready to partake in any training exercise as yet." There was a small smile on Legolas’ face.

Thranduil smiled back. "I should certainly hope not. But you should curtail your walks beyond the palace walls."

Legolas looked at his father in surprise. There seemed to be very little that escapes the King’s attention and knowledge. "I only wish to check on the progress of the reconstruction of the cottages. I do not venture far. Besides, a palace guard accompanies me when I go."

Thranduil nodded. "I am only concerned that you may overtire yourself and hinder your recovery. Go now and rest."

Legolas stood up. "Good night, Adar. Good night, Aldeon."

"Good night, Legolas," Aldeon smiled and watched as his brother made his way from the dining room.

"He does not eat enough," Thranduil muttered, his eyes drawn once more to the unfinished food.

Aldeon could not help but smile. "I am surprised at your restraint with him, Adar."

Thranduil eyed his oldest." I surprise myself at times."

At this, Aldeon laughed. "I am sure Legolas appreciates the new way you are treating him.’

"Does he?" Thranduil raised his brow. "Sometimes I wonder whether he is aware of anything at all. He grieves still."

"As we all," Aldeon reminded gently.

Thranduil sighed. "I know. It is not something that I easily forget. It just pains me to see him recovering so slowly."

"What does Kala say?" Aldeon asked.

Thranduil frowned. "He repeatedly assures me that Legolas is mending well. And yet I know the wounds still pain Legolas more often than he lets on, and that he still requires the pain dulling teas to sleep at nights. Kala attributes this slow healing to the ongoing grief that Legolas feels. And for that, he has no cure." Thranduil resolutely pushed away the gnawing fear that his son may succumb to the grief that had been preying upon much of Mirkwood in recent weeks.

Aldeon clasped his father’s shoulder briefly in sympathy. "Legolas will be all right. Give him time. When he is stronger, I will take him riding through the woods. That has always brought him joy in the past and it will do so again."

Thranduil smiled at his oldest in gratitude. "You are a good brother to him."

"And you are a good father to all of us."

Thranduil smiled again. "At times I doubt the truth of that, but nevertheless, these words are very soothing to my ears. Thank you, my son." The King then turned serious. "Have we word from Feren?"

"Yes, I received a message from him this afternoon. I did not want to mention it in front of Legolas."

Thranduil nodded. "And what does Feren say?"

"The message was very brief. He believes he has uncovered information as to origin of the false reports that we received before the orcs attacked. Tavaro is on his way back to the palace with a more detailed report. I think Feren is being deliberately vague in his message. It is my guess that he has uncovered something that he does not want publicized beyond a certain few at this time."

Thranduil narrowed his eyes. "It is as I feared then. The orcs had help from someone within Mirkwood."

"A traitor."

"Or traitors. The reach of the Shadow is far and deep in that elves would turn against their own kind." There was a hint of sadness mixed with the palpable anger in the King’s voice. "I shall find the traitors and I will show them no mercy. There is no sin greater than betraying your own kind."

"Have you any idea who it might be?" Aldeon asked.

Thranduil let out a long breath. "There are more than a few in Mirkwood who believe that I have failed as a king."

"Adar -" Aldeon protested.

Thranduil raised his hand. "It is true for any ruler. A king can never satisfy everybody. There will always be failures of the ruler in the eyes of his subjects. Whether real or perceived, it matters not. That is reality. Mirkwood has suffered much in recent years. In spite of my efforts and the efforts of our warriors, the Shadow continues to spread. Minds are poisoned and fear of evil has taken a stranglehold on some of our people. Some of our faraway settlements demand more protection from me, but we do not have the resources to provide the protection that they seek. There are simply not enough warriors to patrol the far reaches of our realm."

"Many settlements have broken up and the people are moving closer to the stronghold where they will be protected," Aldeon pointed out.

"And yet there are many still who cling to their lands with fierce loyalty despite the threat to their safety. How can we convince them to leave behind what generations before them have planted and built? People move away from the settlements to be closer to the stronghold. What then become of the settlements and their land? They fall under the control of the Shadow and the realm of Mirkwood is pushed further and further into a corner, surrounded by evil. What then?"

Aldeon shook his head, having no answers for such questions.

"It is a difficult dilemma. On the one hand, I wish all our people would move closer to the stronghold so that I can better protect them, and yet, I do not want to cede one more inch of land to the Shadow. It is a treacherous balancing act that will result in the dissatisfaction of our people at the very least, and at the most, death."

Thranduil drew in a deep breath and expelled it slowly. "If my subjects are dissatisfied, I would have them address their concerns to me directly. If they believe that I rule unjustly, I want to hear that with my own ears. If they have demands, no matter how unreasonable, let them voice them and I will listen. But I will not tolerate betrayal. I want all available resources to track down this traitor or traitors. I will not allow the death of so many of our people go unanswered."

"We will have to await Tavaro’s report before we can make any plans. If the traitor is from within Mirkwood, it will be prudent to keep this information within a tight circle until we know the identity of the traitor." Aldeon looked at his father. "I would suggest that we refrain from imparting any information to all for the time being, including the advisors."

Thranduil’s steely eyes met those of his son. "I have no intention of involving any of my advisors in this. The traitor’s fate has already been decided and no half-tuned advisor will persuade me otherwise. In the meantime, I do not want Legolas wandering beyond the palace walls on his own. Make certain someone is with him at all times."

Aldeon looked at his father sharply. "You think whoever is behind this will seek to harm him?"

Thranduil shook his head. "I do not know, but I am not taking any chances. Until we know the identity of the traitor, none of us is safe. I want you to take extra care as well. The enemy can see us, but we cannot see the enemy."

Aldeon nodded slowly. "I will take care, Adar, and I hope you will too."

Thranduil smiled, if a little tiredly. "Fear not for me, Aldeon. I have not survived these millennia by being careless. I intend to outlive our enemies for many more millennia."

Aldeon hoped with all his heart that this would be the case, for Mirkwood without Thranduil would be a kingdom lost.


TBC





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List