Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 51

In the interlude between first and second breakfast, the three worthies had gone to Paladin’s study to consult with some Shire records.

Saradoc smiled with satisfaction. “That’s it, then, old Denham is the next in line for the Bankses. My, my, won’t he be surprised, after all these generations as bridge tenders.”

“So will a lot of other people,” said Paladin. “Aside from Brandybucks, this is the first headship to pass into Buckland. You must try not to look so smug about it, brother. You’ll put a lot of backs up with that expression.”

Saradoc laughed. “I’ll school my face before the assembly, never fear. At any rate, we need to send for him. I was thinking about sending Tip back with some messages for Berilac. He can take one to old Denham while he’s at it.”

Frodo sighed. “And it’s Uffo for the Bracegirdles,” he said solemnly.

“Not much choice there, lad. He’s the only male left in the Bracegirdle family.”

“I know.” His voice was sad.

Saradoc and Paladin refrained from say anything. They knew it was a sharp reminder to him of what was in store for the Bagginses in less than a generation.

“Well,” said the Thain briskly, “how about a bit of second breakfast? There’s going to be a lot of debate between now and elevenses, and rebuilding every inn and tavern in the Shire has yet to make much of a dent in all that gold.”

___________________________________________________________

Merry looked closely at his two sets of everyday livery. The sturdy green wool was beginning to fade a bit, and there were signs of wear and fraying in the places where it rubbed against his armor. He supposed he had been wearing it a bit too much. But he had gotten so accustomed to it. Time to seek out a seamstress and have a new set made. His dress livery, however, still looked like new.

There was a sharp rap on his door. “Come on in, Pip.”

“I came to see if you wanted to go down with me and take some breakfast with the Men? Bergil and Gimli have gone down already; Legolas, too, I would imagine.”

“Oh, I guess,” he replied glumly.

“My, aren’t you enthusiastic this morning. What’s the matter, cousin?”

“Da saw fit to give me a rather lengthy tongue-lashing last night.” Merry sighed. “He hasn’t done that since just before I came of age.”

“I remember that one. Half of that one was mine.” Pippin raised a brow wryly, and Merry gave a rueful chuckle. “We were quite a picture, with our matching black eyes and bruised knuckles.”

“Well, we couldn’t let those two louts at The Golden Perch get by with passing those kinds of remarks about Frodo, now could we?”

Pippin shook his head. “Merry, you are normally one of the most reasonable, even-tempered hobbits I know. But let anyone look cross-eyed at either Frodo or me--”

“I take care of my own, Pip. I always have and I always will.”

“I know, Mer.” Pippin laughed. “I can see us now, three white-haired old gaffers, and you laying about you with your walking-stick because some young whippersnapper has dared to be pert with one of us.”

“You’re a fine one to talk, Pip. I’ve seen you bristle fast enough on my behalf or Frodo’s.”

“And Frodo has bristled for us on a few occasions.”

“Yes. Well. He can usually take care of it with that cold stare of his. But he did give Lotho a bloody nose for me once.”

“Have I heard this one?”

“I’ll tell you as we walk down.” Merry laughed. He felt much better now.

____________________________________________________________________

Poppy had finally persuaded Reggie to get some rest. Opal had wakened briefly to his presence; but she had been in a deal of pain, and Poppy had given her something for it.

He had been completely exhausted, and did not even wake to the commotion Hyacinth had caused when Paladin’s older sisters had arrived to escort her from the Smials, bag and baggage.

She looked over at her patient’s bediside, amazed. Her oldest sister, Amethyst, was sitting with her, holding her hand and wiping her brow. Amethyst had never struck Poppy as a very caring person, yet she and Garnet had elected to remain with their father, and both had taken time to stay with their injured sister.

Amethyst felt Poppy’s regard. “I know what you are thinking. I know people don’t like us much. But we’ve always stuck together, the three of us. We didn’t have anyone else, did we?”

_______________________________________________________

As Merry and Pippin approached the encampment, they heard the unmistakable sound of Bergil having a flute lesson from the patient Anwynd.

“Uh-oh,” said Merry. “I hope Freddy doesn’t hear.”

Yet they were surprised to see as they approached Fredegar seated by the fire next to Legolas and Gimli, with a bowl of porridge, talking, and with no outward or visible signs of distress. “Hullo, Merry and Pippin. Did you come to have breakfast with us?”

“If you can spare any,” answered Pippin. He looked over at Danulf, who was up and also seated by the fire, a bandage round his head, but otherwise looking no worse for the wear. “I am glad to see that you are better, Danulf.”

Merry went over and gave the Man a brief embrace. “So am I. It’s a good thing you have a hard head.”

He laughed. “I learned my lesson on one thing. I will not lay my helm aside on watch ever again!”

Everyone else laughed, and then winced, as Bergil hit an especially sour note. “He is improving,” said Targon. “Really, he *is* improving.”

“Yes,” said Freddy, “he really is.”

Merry and Pippin looked at their friend in delight and wonder.

Merry tried for a casual attitude as he asked “Freddy, did your mother and sister come today?”

Fredegar turned his head aside, and concentrated on his porridge, so that Merry could not see his face as he answered. “No, they stayed in town today.”

“Oh,” said Merry. He’d hoped to see Estella.

Uh-oh, thought Pippin, who had caught a glance at Freddy’s eyes.

_____________________________________________________________

The debate over what to do with the gold lasted throughout the day, and there was still a great deal to be resolved. It seemed that this was going to take three or four days, before they ever even got to the High King’s edicts. This suited Paladin and Saradoc just fine, as it would give time for Denham Banks and Uffo Bracegirdle to arrive. Frodo felt a bit impatient, but he was willing to allow himself to be guided by his older kinsmen. Not for the first time did he long for the chance to give these responsibilities back to Will Whitfoot.

At one point, he had wearily voiced this hope to Paladin and Saradoc.

“I understand your feelings, Frodo,” said Saradoc, “but I, for one, am glad it is you, and not old Will helping us to sort these matters out.”

“Yes,” put in Paladin. “I know this is hard for you, but you have more understanding of these matters, and of these Big Folk that we have to deal with. Will Whitfoot is excellent in the traditional matters the Mayor deals with, but he would have been quite out of his depth here.”

“As would we, without your guidance, Frodo.”

This made Frodo feel a good deal better about his role, yet it did not make him less weary of it all. He was finding that he did not enjoy politics at all.

__________________________________________________

Sam and Rose were enjoying an evening stroll through the south garden, accompanied at a discreet distance by Pervinca and her husband.

“I feel so badly, Sam. If I had not said anything about that box, none of it would have happened.”

“Hush, now, Rosie, that’s not so. Those Bankses would have made trouble no matter what. And so it is that Miss Opal would not have been punished, but she would have got away with thievery. I feel heartily sorry for the lass, what happened to her is so much worse than what she deserves, but it’s no blame to you, my love.”

“Do you think she would mind if I went to see her?”

“I don’t know, Rosie, but we can ask, can’t we. I think the more people see her, the better. It can’t hurt for her to know we care.”

“Oh, I hope it would help, Sam! It’s just so terrible to think of.”

“You’ve a tender heart, Rose.”

“So do you, Sam.”

_______________________________________________________

Opal was writhing in pain. She had not really grasped the extent of her injuries, and was still drifting in and out of consciousness. Reggie and both her sisters were with her, and she seemed aware of their presence. Poppy had gone to get some rest, and left Viola to take care of things for a while.

Pearl was still staying at the apartment, trying to help in any way she could.

She tapped on the door to Opal’s room and stuck her head in.

“There is a visitor. Is it all right?”

Reggie just nodded. It was probably Eglantine or maybe Esmerelda; they had both been by to see Opal. He didn’t even look up, until he sensed the presence that entered was larger than expected.

It was the Elf.

__________________________________________________

 

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List