Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A New Reckoning  by Dreamflower

CHAPTER 50

The hobbits who were beginning to gather in the great pavilion just after elevenses were a mostly tired and bedraggled looking bunch. None of them had much sleep after the Ball was over.

Speculation was rampant. The large question on everyone’s mind was the whereabouts of the Bankses. The news was beginning to get about that Clodio’s sons had attacked the Men for some unknown reason, which was the reason young Meriadoc had reacted so violently. Word had also begun to pass that Reginard Took’s youngest was seriously ill, and that he would not be attending. A very few people were wondering where Dago Bracegirdle was. Overriding it all was fear of what those Men might do since they had been attacked. They had been pleasant and polite enough at the Ball, but that was before the attack and one of them getting hurt.

Polo Bunce and Milo Burrows found themselves besieged with questions. But Polo had learned through long experience not to discuss his wife’s patients, and Milo had not seen his cousin Poppy since she had left the Ball.

Merimac also found himself cornered by people wanting to know what all that business with Merry and the Banks lads had been about. But all he would say was “Meriadoc had a good reason. It will be told when the assembly starts.”

As noon neared, the hobbits began to take their seats on the long benches placed in the pavilion. The benches faced a large table with three chairs placed at one end. Also next to the table were two very large folding chairs brought over from the Men’s encampment.

Precisely at noon, Frodo, Paladin and Saradoc entered and stood behind the table. All the muttering and whispering stopped.

“Good day, gentlehobbits,” said Paladin. “We thank you for coming. As all of you know, there are momentous decisions to be made for the sake of all the Shire, and we would have your advice and consent before making those decisions. Before we come to that however, there are other, no less urgent matters which must be dealt with. We will begin with the formalities. In one hour we will break for luncheon. Then we will resume, and work until teatime

One more thing: for a number of very good reasons that will soon become apparent, the three of us will *not* be representing our families during the discussions, though we will preside over the proceedings.

Let us now call on the heads of the families:

Took--”

Everard stood. “I speak for the Tooks.”

“Brandybuck--”

Merimac rose. “I speak for the Brandybucks.”

“Baggins--”

Ponto got to his feet. “I speak for the Baggins.”

“Bolger--”

Odovocar’s voice rang out. “I speak for the Bolgers.”

“Proudfoot,” “Goodbody,” “Hornblower,” “Burrows,” The names went on and on, to each one a hobbit rose and gave the ritual response.

“Banks--”

No response.

“Is there no one to speak for the Banks?”

Still no response. Of course no one expected one, everyone knew Clodio was not there, though few knew why.

“Brockhouse,” “Boffin,” “Bunce,” “Chubb,” “Grubb,” “Bracegirdle--”

Again there was no response. There was a bit more stir at this, as few had noticed he was not there, and no one had any idea why save the three at the table.

“Brownlock,” “Harfoot,” “Whitfoot,” “Cotman,” the roll call came to an end.

Paladin waited for a moment. Then he said “There are two families not represented here today, and we will now explain the reason. It will then fall to us to decide what to do about it.

Last night, as you are aware, the encampment of the Kings’ embassies was attacked. Some of you may know that the sons of Clodio Banks were responsible for this attack.

What you do not know is that they have confessed to their deed, and to the reason for their deed. They did it in the hopes that the King’s decree would not be ratified, and the reason for this was to avoid investigation into those who had dealings with Lotho Sackville-Baggins.”

There was a definite stir.

“It appears that Clodio Banks was a collaborator; he has confessed to this, and admitted that Dago Bracegirdle was also involved. He has confessed that they were worse than mere collaborators. It was their money and investments that made the actions of Lotho Sackville-Baggins possible, and they did so knowing full well what he planned to do.”

At this, several hobbits jumped angrily to their feet, demanding to know what had been done with the traitors.

For the first time, Frodo spoke. “Because they committed a crime against the embassies sent from the King, we turned them over to the envoys, that they might deal with them. We will now hear their decisions.”

From the back of the pavilion came three haggard hobbits, their hands bound, their heads down, followed by Targon and Éothain. The Men lined their prisoners up next to the table, and stood to face the hobbits.

Targon spoke first. “In Gondor, an attack on a peaceful embassy resulting in the injury or death of a member of that embassy would result in a sentence of death.” There was a shocked silence from the assembled hobbits, and a despairing groan from Clodio. “However, the person these hobbits injured was of Rohan, and not of Gondor. Therefore, Gondor has yielded to Rohan in this matter.”

Éothain stepped forth now. “In Rohan we would not execute the culprit unless they refused to yield the weregild. If they had killed Danulf, all their goods and properties would be forfeit to his family. However, since they only injured him, they are subject to either paying a fine or entering into servitude for a period of time. Since the Man they injured was a representative of Éomer King, it is he who should set their sentence, which would be greater than that of merely a private subject. Now it is our understanding that if hobbits of the Shire were to sentence them, it would be to a term of banishment from the Shire. Therefore, we shall take them to Éomer King in Edoras, and he shall set the sum of their weregild. This will take them out of the Shire, as if they had been banished, but will not leave them free to roam about the kingdoms and possibly cause more mischief.”

Many of the hobbits began to murmur among themselves, in seeming agreement with the fairness of this sentence, but Griffo Boffin jumped to his feet. “I don’t think it’s enough! They need to be Marked!” Several other hobbits nodded, and a few called out: “That’s right! It’s only fair they be Marked!”

For part of any hobbit sentence serious enough to call for banishment from the Shire was to be “Marked”, to have the crime of which he was guilty tattooed on the back of both hands.

“And with what would you Mark them?” asked Frodo.

“Traitor!” “That’s right: traitor!” This turned into a general outcry. The three prisoners went even whiter than before. Clodio began to sway, and Targon reached out a hand and steadied him. He didn’t want this hobbit fainting on him again.

Paladin looked at the envoys. “There seems to be a consensus that we will agree to your sentence if we are allowed to Mark them before they are taken away.”

Targon looked at Éothain; it was up to Rohan. He nodded. “Agreed. We will consent to this before we take them to Edoras.”

“Now,” said Paladin, “as to Dago Bracegirdle, he seems for the time being to have escaped. We will continue searching for him, and if he is found before the embassy leaves, he will be subject to the same sentence. If he is not, we shall have to deal with him ourselves.”

Saradoc leaned over and murmured something in Paladin’s ear.

“It is only a few moments until time for luncheon. Shall we go ahead and break now?”

Again there was some consultations among the various hobbits, and then several said “We agree.”

“Very well. We shall meet back in one hour, after luncheon.”

_________________________________________________

Primrose and Peridot came to Eglantine’s sitting room.

“You sent for us, Tina?” asked Primrose.

“Yes. I have a very unpleasant duty to ask of you. If you refuse, I shall understand, and then it will fall on Pearl. But I would rather have someone older and with a bit more, let us say, experience, deal with this.”

“What is it?” said Peridot. She noticed that her sister-in-law seemed more agitated than she had seen her since Pippin returned from his journey.

“For a number of very good and sufficient reasons, Paladin and I are banishing Hyacinth from the Great Smials. She is to be gone by tonight, and I would like you to see to it, as I do not trust myself in her presence. She will be going back to her people in Longneedle, the Brockhouses. Whether they will allow her to stay in the circumstances I do not know. There is a possibility that Reggie may disavow her.”

Primrose and Peridot gasped in shock. That was nearly unheard of, for one of a couple to disavow his or her spouse. It had only ever happened once in the Shire in their living memory. “Do you care to tell us why, Tina?” Primrose was perfectly willing to help get rid of the unpleasant Hyacinth, but this was a pretty drastic step to take just because she was a major pest.

Eglantine explained what had happened with Opal, and then described the scene the night before.

“Oh my word, Tina! No wonder you want her away from here. That explains a lot of things over the years!” Primrose began to see certain remarks in a different light.

“Will you do this for me?”

“With pleasure,” answered Peridot. Primrose nodded.

____________________________________________________

Reggie sat next to his daughter’s bed, her hand in his. She had begun to stir and whimper.

Poppy, who had been dozing lightly on a cot nearby, was at her side instantly.

“She is going to be suffering a great deal of pain when she regains consciousness. But we have to be cautious about giving her anything for it until we are certain that the head wound is not serious.”

Reggie nodded. He was exhausted.

“Why don’t you take the cot for a while?”

He shook his head. “I need to be here by her side if she wakes up.”

__________________________________________________

Merry and Pippin had awakened just before time for luncheon. They arose, and Pippin went to check in his room. Bergil and Esmeralda were gone, so he went in to wash up and dress, while Merry did the same in his room.

A large picnic luncheon was being served in the assembly field for the family representatives, but the two did not want to expose themselves to questions, so they went to one of the kitchens, found themselves some sandwiches, and took them out to the west garden.

Sam and Rosie were there, along with Freddie, Marigold, Legolas, Gimli, and Pimpernel and her husband, Milo. Little Flora and Alyssum played by their parents’ feet. They had also had the same idea, and were making a jolly picnic.

“Do you mind if we join you here?” asked Merry.

“Join right in,” said Pimmie.

“How are you, this morning, Sam?” said Pippin, as he picked up Alyssum.

“Why, Mr. Pippin,” Sam replied with a twinkle in his eye, “I’m feeling right *proper*. I had a *proper* night’s sleep, and two *proper* breakfasts. And I’m sitting here with right *proper* company.”

Everyone else laughed outright, but Merry and Pippin groaned. “We lost, Pip.”

“I know, Mer.” Pippin shook his head unbelievingly.

“How’s that, Mr. Merry? I know you wagered as to which of you could make me say it before the time was up, but the way I see it, if you both lost, then that cancels the wager.”

Gimli chuckled. “Aye, lad, but that was not the only wager going.”

Legolas grinned.

“We had a bet with Legolas and Gimli,” said Pippin. “They bet that you would be able to hold out the whole week. We should have listened to Frodo.”

“Well, now as to that, you know Mr. Frodo don’t hold with wagering. You don’t suppose he had another lesson in mind besides just mine, do you?”

___________________________________________

After much discussion, the two envoys and the three worthies of the Shire agreed that they would bring Rohan’s matter of reparations from Saruman to the assembly first. They thought that after the shocking news about the Bankses, a bit of good news would be welcome.

Thus it was that when the hobbits returned to the pavilion after a luncheon that had seen as much talk as eating, they noticed a black chest on the table. Paladin, Frodo and Saradoc were already seated behind the table. Targon and Éothain were also seated, in the chairs that had been brought over from their campsite. As the hobbits filed back in, they looked over curiously, wondering what was to come next.

Paladin stood and welcomed them back. “The next item of business takes some explanations. I think that Frodo is the best one to provide them.”

Frodo came to the front of the table and scanned the curious faces of the hobbits. “Some of you may know that the person whom you called ‘Sharkey’ was in actuality, once a Wizard by the name of Saruman…”

He went on to give a very brief description of Saruman’s betrayal of Rohan, not going into any great detail nor saying anything about the Ring, and told of how he had been stripped of his wizardly power by Gandalf, and how he had escaped from his imprisonment to make his way to the Shire.

“No one had any idea that he would come here, or that he had such evil plans for the Shire, or he would not have been allowed to continue his wanderings. Nonetheless, he made his way here, and we have had to suffer the results. However, thanks to Lotho, he had profited greatly already from the Shire before he ever came here.”

Éothain rose now, and explained how Saruman’s ill-gotten treasure had come to be in the hands of the Rohirrim, and what Éomer King proposed to do with it.

“We have set aside one fifth of his treasure as a weregild for the Shire, and have brought a token of that here.” He reached over and lifted the lid of the chest, and tilted it forward, so that they could see it was filled with gold.

There was a moment of stunned silence.

Merimac Brandybuck, who had known what was to come, spoke up finally. “You say this chest is just a token. How much more is there?”

Éothain smiled. “There are at least six more of these chests set aside, to be brought to the Shire when a strong enough guard may come with it, or if you so desire, we may bring one a year for the next six years. Or perhaps you may think of some other way that you wish this payment to come to you. It is only fitting that the one who despoiled you should provide the means to remedy his ills. Rest assured that the Shire is entitled to this. Our King and the High King are agreed on that .” Éothain gave a sharp nod, and resumed his seat.

Saradoc rose. “I would like to say that this alone should be enough to convince you of the good will held towards us by the Kings in the South. Is there to be any debate as to whether we will accept these reparations?”

Of course there was not. The cries of agreement rang out. The consensus was a foregone conclusion. Now the hard part began. How would they use this unexpected windfall?

As the hobbits got down to the business of where and how to use the coin, the two envoys took their leave. They would be sent for when they were needed again.

By teatime, the only two things that had so far been agreed to. One was that the money could be delivered annually, instead of in one large shipment. “Less dangerous that way,” had been Odovocar Bolger’s deciding comment. “That much gold in the Shire at one time might attract more ruffians than the King has Men to deal with.”

The other thing that had been agreed was that some of it could be used to finish rebuilding and restoring the inns that Lotho had torn down. So far the only inns operating were the ones in Tuckborough and The Green Dragon in Bywater. It had created a good deal of hardship over the last year for travellers in the Shire.

Paladin rose. “We have accomplished a good deal for the first day. We will end now, as it is almost teatime, and will resume tomorrow morning after second breakfast.”

The first day of the assembly was ended.

___________________________________________________________

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List