Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Ten - The Havens

As the company drew near to the sea, the overheavens had changed somewhat. The clouds sailed a bit lower to the ground and were puffier in appearance than the ones that sailed high above the Shire. Paladin noticed a twinge of salt in the air as he took in a long breath. At one point, the Big Folk and the elder hobbits stopped to gape at the scenery before them. They stood at the crest of a ridge in the Road that gradually sloped down into the Harbor town of the Grey Havens. Adelard and Paladin stood motionless at the sight.

“What are we waiting for, eh?” Isengar and Bilbo were the first to start the trek downward. The sun was only yet descending towards the distant horizon, so there was plenty of sunlight for the next couple hours. As he began walking down the Road, Paladin pinched himself to see if it were a dream, or if this was really happening to him. He was looking at the Sea! And while still descending the slope, he saw to the south of the town that there were waves washing up onto the shore! He wanted with all his heart to touch one of the foamy waves. What would it feel like?

Entering the harbor, the seagulls cried their welcome to the visitors. Adelard and Paladin gazed upward watching them glide gracefully across the canopy of clouds and blue sky. To Paladin they were beautiful; most had a long, thin white tail that he thought made them look majestic in the air as they flew.

Having put up their pony and cart, the group walked further down the boardwalk to the ship landing. The ship was not moored at its berth on the landing, but was anchored out in the harbor. Instead, a smaller boat that would be able to carry all of them was tied alongside the wooden landing-stage. Thorongil tossed his sack down into the boat, then took Isengar’s pack and tossed it also. He made to take Paladin’s but suddenly aware of what the tall man was doing, he backed off. “No, thank you,” he said.

“Are you not coming with us?” Thorongil asked.

“I’m…I--I guess not. I will sit and wait for you all here.” Paladin tried to swallow his fear of boats, but it stuck in his throat like hard bread crust. He suddenly felt lonely.

“I will wait with you, cousin,” said Adelard, also looking at the boat with much revulsion. “Sorry, Uncle, but I cannot ride in that…that…boat.”

Thorongil looked helplessly at Gandalf, who chuckled under his breath. “Thorongil, my friend, you may yet see the courage and pluck of the Little Folk, but there is one drawback,” he said. “They dislike boats immensely.”

“Dislike?” said Adelard. “That seems too easy of a word; more like detest!”

Still chuckling, Gandalf explained, “I sent Isengar a letter and offered him one last ride upon the sea; even if it is only in this little boat.” He smiled at the Seahobbit. “To see one last time, Cí rdan’s ship and feel the sea under his legs.” Isengar smiled back. “And to bid his final farewell--for now--to the Shipwright.” Gandalf looked once again to Thorongil, “More than likely, Isengar will be the only hobbit sailing with us to the ship, though I daresay if pressed to it, they would all jump in without the slightest bit of hesitation. Elladan and Elrohir can easily mind the young hobbits and Bilbo while we are seeing you off.”

With that said, Thorongil jumped into the waiting boat, next was Gandalf. With an astonished gaze, Thorongil watched as the old hobbit deftly unraveled the line from the bollards, threw the line at him--as if he were supposed to catch it, then carefully slid inside the boat just as it drifted away from the landing. He smiled, “Well done, Master Isengar!”

The hobbits and the elves stood waving until the boat was safely moored to Cí rdan’s ship.

“Come,” Elladan finally spoke, “Let us sup on the fruit of the sea.”

The lads turned to follow the others. Every bit a farmer’s son, Paladin whispered to Adelard, “Fruit of the Sea? I didn’t know the sea bore fruit.”

Adelard laughed, “I think he meant that we would eat whatever that dreadful place breeds underneath its waves.”

“Mister Elladan,” Paladin spoke loudly, “What exactly did you have in mind when you said ‘sup’?”

The Elf laughed, “Come, and you will see!”

~ ~ ~

Before she knew it, Esmeralda had spent nearly all day with Mira and Saradoc. They laughed and exchanged stories and happenings throughout the Shire-proper and Buckland. Eventually though, it was past tea and coming up on supper time. Rorimac came inside the suite and seeing Esmeralda sitting there, motioned for his son to follow him into the back rooms.

Esmeralda stood up, “I think I should be taking my leave now.”

“I have thoroughly enjoyed your company all day, Essie,” said Mirabella. “Will you be dropping by again tomorrow?”

“I don’t know,” the girl replied, “I think Mister Rory might have something to say about that.”

“Nonsense, child!” Mira smiled, “You are my guest tomorrow. Please come by again for lunch.” Not telling Esmeralda that she reminded Mirabella of herself when she was a young lass.

“Thank you,” said Esmeralda, accepting the invitation. She was enjoying the matron’s company as well. It was as if the elderly hobbit was a kindred spirit. “What time shall I stop by?” she asked.

“A quarter to one would be splendid,” replied Mirabella. “Please ask your mum if you may stay and chat the afternoon with an old lass.”

“I would love to,” Esmeralda bent down and hugged Mira. “And thank you. Please tell Saradoc I had to leave; I wouldn’t want to get you or him into any further trouble.”

“Trouble?” Mira gave Esmeralda a warm hug in return, “I’m not in any trouble, Essie. Unlike my brother--although my family allows me to have as many friends of whomever I choose. I will look forward to your visit tomorrow.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List