Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Nine - Close Intervals

“Oy! I’m getting a cramp in my leg!” Paladin suspended his story to alleviate the sharp ache in his folded legs. He handed a limp Pippin over to Pearl to hold while he got up and walked out the spasm. *Pearl took the small child and set him in her own lap, careful to hold his head in the crook of her arm. She brushed the errant curls away from her brother’s peaceful little face.

“Perhaps we should all take a privy break,” he announced. “Lasses first,” he said, then called out after Pimpernel and Pervinca running towards the kitchen door, “and use your cloaks, ladies! It’s raining and cold out outside.” He rued his shout when Pippin started to squirm in his sister’s lap. When the boy stood up to go outside, with rosy cheeks and sleep still in his eyes, Paladin held him behind. Pippin was redirected to the convenience in the washroom; Merry followed behind him. Paladin took note that the mirth the young teen held earlier was gone. Paladin took his arm as he passed him by. “Are you all right, Merry?”

“I’m fine, Uncle,” Merry replied with a sudden smile. “May I go now?”

Merry’s countenance went from low-spirited to a smile much too quickly for the liking of his uncle. Paladin let the lad go…for now. He had a good hunch as to what was bothering Merry, and resolved to ask him about it later after the lad had time to sift through his own feelings himself.

Before long, all were back in their places and sitting before the hearth. Pearl had brought a large platter of apple slices and biscuits with her that Dahlia had just baked. Pimpernel brought in a carafe of hot cider behind her sister; Pervinca brought the mugs. Little Pippin was suddenly awake at the sight of sweet things to eat and drink.

“Is everyone ready?” he asked, reaching over the boy sitting once again in his lap and grabbed a few apple slices to start things off.

“Yes!” A chorus of voices sounded once again.

“Very well, then,” Paladin began. “Uncle Flambard found my father in the stables…”

* * * * * *

Flambard found Adalgrim in the stable just before Second Breakfast saddling up his pony. He knew Fortinbras would be of no help in locating the lads, so he and Adalgrim made hasty plans this morning to meet in the stables to sort out their own scheme. “Adal!” he called. A few stable boys paused in their grooming of the ponies to turn and see who was shouting.

“Over here!” A reply came from the very back.

Flambard found his cousin in the very last stall tying a rucksack onto his pony. He smiled, “Good!” said Flambard, “I need to go fetch my own pack--it's all ready to go.”

“Well hurry up, Flam,” called Adalgrim, “I don’t have all day.” A few seconds later, Flambard was a couple stalls down, tying his pack onto his own pony. “What took you so long?” he smirked. “I thought your pack was in the Smials.”

“No,” he replied, “it appears you and I are thinking alike in this matter. I cannot let another day go by without knowing where my son is, or if he’s all right. They’ve already got a whole day on us.  From what I remember our old Uncle saying, the Havens are a good two days ride west of the Shire. If all I can do is sit at the borders and wait for my son’s return, then there is where I will sit.”

“Shouldn’t you take your arrows?” Flambard asked. “We’ll be near the Outlands.”

Adalgrim thought about it. “Do you have yours with you?” His cousin nodded. “Then I think that is all we shall need.”

“You’ll need this,” Flambard tossed his cousin a thick blanket roll. “It’s getting quite cool at night now.”

Adalgrim was relieved to have a good friend accompany him. “Seems you’ve thought of everything. Is there anything else you can think of before we leave?” he grinned. “Do you need to use the privy?”

“You’re so hilarious this morning,” said Flambard sarcastically, then opened his saddle bag, he lifted out a couple of corked and sealed bottles containing a dark liquid. “We’ll need this to keep warm should the fires go out.”

“I have enough fire in me to last until I see Paladin again.” Adalgrim took his pony’s reins and led it outside, along with Flambard and his pony. He then pulled himself up into the saddle. “Ready?” They nodded together in agreement; Flambard was now mounted. “Ha!” Adalgrim slapped the reins on his pony. He and Flambard galloped as far as their ponies could take them.

~ ~ ~

The company arose early before dawn to get an early start. It would be a long march today though no one was actually marching. Everyone either rode on a horse, or drove the cart. It was the cart that was slowing them all down, yet the cart went faster than if they had walked. They made good time as when they passed the Far Downs to their left around noontime, then made to camp for lunch. “Another thirty miles or so,” said Gandalf, as he let his horse graze the neighboring field.

Adelard sat on a log next to Paladin as the group of travelers took their lunch in a small clearing a few hundred feet south of the road. Thorongil and Elrohir had caught and roasted several wild rabbits on a spit; he and Paladin had gone and dug through their own provisions and pulled out enough food to feed a hungry crowd, such as their own. So for lunch they all feasted on roasted rabbit, salted meats, cheese, bread, and apples. A fine lunch up to hobbit standards. Now having eaten, the boys felt much better and able to handle another thirty miles to the Havens. Adelard scooted onto the ground at his feet to lean back against the log. Paladin followed him, as both lads filled and lit their pipes.

Thorongil found himself mesmerized by the sight of two ‘children’ smoking pipes--and blowing smoke rings as expertly as him. He turned away to ask Gandalf in a low voice, “Is it customary for young children of the Shire to smoke pipes?”

Gandalf laughed at his friend’s comment. “Absolutely not! If these were young children, Bilbo and Isengar would never have allowed them to come this far. While these lads are not adults, they are not young children, either.” He went on to explain how a hobbit-child ages.

Suddenly Bilbo’s voice rose up in a song; it was a song about food (naturally), drink, and the company of good friendship. It was an easy tune to pick up, so after the first round, Isengar, Adelard, and even Paladin joined in the merry song.

Gandalf leaned close to Thorongil while the hobbits sang, “Now that you have met a few, what do you think?”

Thorongil was quiet for a moment in silence pondering his answer. “I think…I shall miss seeing their jolly nature while in the south.” In his mind, he was seeing a young hobbit lad holding onto the breeches of another while the second lad threw well-aimed apples at unknown danger. Gandalf himself said that they were courageous in battle. “But I now understand what you have been telling me this past week. I begin to feel that if a rain cloud were to appear out of the blue over their heads while they danced, they would simply throw up an umbrella and continue on.”

“Indeed they would,” answered Gandalf. “They have rain songs, too, you know!” The two friends laughed at the shared jest.

Then Bilbo got up, walked over to Elrond’s sons, luring them into the song. Elladan spoke into the hobbit’s ears then joined in the song. After the next round, the song was ended. Bilbo stood up to speak, “My friends, Elladan and Elrohir have a song to sing.” He bowed low as a good host, then sat back down to listen. Their voices harmonized well together; the song was smooth and melodious. Only Bilbo understood most of the words. He tried to interpret as best as he could for the hearing of his uncle and cousins.

When the song was ended, they group silently broke camp and began the last leg of their journey to the sea.

*For Pearl :-)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List