Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Storyteller  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Eleven - Down by the Sea

Paladin was unaware that fish could taste so scrumptious. Though this fish was different than what he and Addie would catch in the streams around Tookland, or even in the Brandywine. These fish had a taste all their own-and served with a sauce that enhanced the flavor. Where Elladan had led them felt more like someone’s home that of an eating house. “I’m so comfortable I almost feel like sleeping right here where I sit,” he remarked to the elf sitting next to him.

“You do not have to do that, Master Hobbit,” Elladan laughed, “Ë arwen

Will show you to your rooms shortly.”

“You mean we won’t have to camp out on the sand tonight?’

“No more than you would sleep on the banks of the river Baranduin in the Shire,” he replied. “First, there will be singing, and then we shall all retire to our rooms.”

Soon, an elf maiden came and offered them more drink, then took their empty plates. Adelard thought she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen.

Bilbo caught Adelard staring at her. “Careful, lad,” Bilbo grinned, whispering into Adelard’s ear, “She’s an older lass--much older!”

“When will Gandalf and Uncle Isengar return?” Paladin was now getting anxious about home.

“Not until the morrow,” Elladan answered, “it is too dangerous to sail in a small boat after nightfall.”

Now that the adventure of seeing the Grey Havens was over with, Paladin was not looking forward to the greeting he would receive upon his return.

The following morning was bright and cheerful. After breakfast the lads ran down to the landing-stage to await their uncle. They sat upon the wooden planks dangling their feet listening to the rippling waves splash against the columns underneath the stage.

“Would you lads care to touch the sea?” The tweens turned abruptly to see Bilbo, Elladan, and Elrohir.

“Yes! I would like that very much,” said Paladin. In his mind, he still could see the foamy waves breaking upon the sands of the harbor.

“The water is still warm this time of year,” said Elrohir, leading the boys through the town, onto the sand then towards the waves. “Be careful to not get pulled in by the undertow.” Elrohir was a strong swimmer; he would see to the safety of the hobbits while they explored the sea waves and the treasures it left behind in the sand.

Once Paladin and Adelard understood the waves were mere water and foam, never to harm them, they ran up and down the sand laughing and squealing like small boys discovering the feel of grass under their feet for the first time. Even Bilbo got in the fun, but stayed a healthy distance on the shore. Paladin never forgot the feel of the soft, wet sand between his toes.

“Look!” said Adelard, “They’re returning!” Indeed, a small boat could be seen departing the larger ship in the harbor and heading towards the landing stage they previously sat upon in the town. Bilbo, Adelard, and Elladan headed back to center of town where the landing-stage was.

Paladin lingered behind on the sand, spotting a small, pinkish object lying embedded therein. “What is this?” he asked Elrohir.

“It belongs to one of many sea creatures that live in the sea, now parted from its home.”

“This is a sea-creature’s home?”

“Yes,” answered the elf. “Do you find that so unusual?”

Paladin then thought of the small snails and river insects he saw nearby the clear water while fishing in the streams back in the Shire. “No, I suppose not. May I keep this one?”

“You may,” Elrohir replied, “I expect the creature now sundered from it has most likely found another home elsewhere. Come; let us greet your uncle.” Paladin carefully packed the shell into his rucksack, then ran to catch up to the others.

~ ~ ~

Adalgrim and Flambard set up camp about a half-mile inside the western Shire boundary. Close enough to the border to see any activity on the Road, and far enough away to keep the Outlanders at bay. If anyone traveling stopped to give a greeting, the hobbits either ignored them, or if they had ample warning, they would hide among the underbrush, never to be seen.

It was cold at night, and just as Flambard warned, the fire would often burn down to embers, or go out completely. The chill in his bones woke up Adalgrim before he was ready to, which put him in a foul mood.

“Wake up, Flam,” he nudged his cousin with his foot. “I’ll get breakfast started if you go down to the brook and fill up our waterskins.”

Flambard had not slept well, either. “All right,” he answered, “just stop kicking me.”

On his way back from filling the skins, Flambard saw a dark shape in the distant grasses and decided to investigate. As he got close, he could make out the awful shape of a body under a pile of rocks…a dead body. Gathering his nerves and his stomach, he ran all the way back to camp.

“I saw it, I tell you!” Flambard stood trembling, out of breath and leaning up against the slim birch that they had camped under. “I couldn’t tell if it was a Man or an Elf for all of the rocks over top of it, but it looked like Tall Folk of some sort.”

While they were growing up, Flambard had told his fair share of larger-than-life tales, and so Adalgrim would not be satisfied until he saw it for himself. So off they went, Flambard leading the way.

“What do you think?” he asked Adalgrim.

“Don’t know, but let’s have a look around. I want to see if there are any dead hobbits around here as well.”

They scanned the entire area on both sides of the Road--and even missed breakfast in the process. It was getting close to elevenses when Adalgrim called a halt. It would do neither one any good if they starved themselves in order to find a sign as to how the dead thing perished, as they called it, seeing they had no notion if it was a Man or not. They could always come back to it.

“Hullo!” Flambard was crouching down the road a ways peering into the dirt Road. “Looks like a large group of folks stopped over here.”

“But we can’t be certain it was Bilbo and the lads,” Adalgrim was now standing beside his cousin looking at the foot tracks. “Everything has been stepped on and muddled.”

“I think they stopped here,” said Flambard resolutely. “Most likely attacked by that varmint now buried under rocks over there.” He indicated with a nod in the direction of the dead body.

Adalgrim admonished his younger cousin, “Really? And just how did an old hobbit, two tweens and one cracked hobbit contain that huge fellow, eh?” Adalgrim immediately felt like a fool. “I’m sorry, Flam. I’m so worried over Paladin--and Addie, too. I apologize for snapping at you.”

“I understand, Adal,” Flam replied. “I’m worried for the lads, too. Why don’t we take an early lunch and come back to all of this?”

The hobbits took their early lunch sitting in the sunshine. It was simple fare, as they were eager to get an early start on the Road the day before, they had packed only a few meats; the rest of their food was mainly bread, cheese, and apples.

“I do think they were attacked,” Flambard broke the silence. He had finished his lunch as was making ready for another sweep across the fields.

“I’m reluctant to think of anything yet,” answered his cousin. “If we don’t find any hint of a fight or anything else dead, then I believe we can assume that they are reasonably safe…for now.” Though it will be a long time before Paladin sees Bilbo again, he said to himself.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List