Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mind to Mind  by shirebound

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

“He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against.  He is fallen, and his cure is beyond us; but I would still spare him, in the hope that he may find it.”  Frodo Baggins, The Return of the King, ‘The Scouring of the Shire’

MIND TO MIND

Chapter 10 -- Even the Wise Cannot See All Ends

September 8


Frodo opened his eyes, blinking in the bright morning sunshine that flooded the tent.  The sides of the tent had been raised, and he breathed deeply of the fragrant summer air, which smelled of green forests and fresh grasses.  He started to sit up but, to his dismay, sank weakly back.

“You just lie still, Mr. Frodo.”  Sam was instantly at his bedside.

“I’m tired of lying still,” Frodo groaned, “but apparently I have no choice.  I was hoping that yesterday was just a bad dream.”

“It wasn’t,” Sam said.  “Are you feelin’ any better?”

“A little bit.  Awfully weak, but not nearly as hot or dizzy.  Do I look any better?”

“You’ve looked worse, sir,” Sam replied honestly.

Frodo smiled and held out his hand.  “Please tell me you’ve had some rest, Sam.”

“I have,” Sam grinned, clasping his master’s hand in his own.  “After your second bath brought your fever down, I thought it’d be safe to get a few winks.”

“My second bath?” Frodo gaped at him.  “When was…” His eyes suddenly widened.  “Where’s Merry?  Did he wake?”

“He surely did,” Sam assured him.  “Whatever you did, Mr. Frodo, it worked like a charm.”  He looked up as Merry joined them.

“Merry,” Frodo murmured, “I was so worried about you.”

Merry took Frodo into his arms and hugged him tightly.  “Do you remember coming to get me?”

Frodo shook his head.  “I don’t remember much after calling your name, and picturing you in my mind.  I think I remember a bath…” He glared at Sam.  “One bath.  And then I woke up, just a few minutes ago.  What do you remember?”

“Just bits and pieces,” Merry replied.  “There was all this light, and I remember that we were talking about… something…”  He smiled.  “It doesn’t matter, I suppose.”

“Whatever happened, I’m glad it worked,” Frodo smiled back.  He looked around at the empty tent.  “Where is everyone?”

“Elladan refused to stay in bed another second, and is walkin’ around the camp,” Sam replied.  “He’s all stiff and sore, but won’t admit it.”

“Stubborn as any Baggins,” Merry agreed.  “He’s nearly as bruised as Pippin was after that troll fell on him.”

“Elrohir will drag him back here for a rest any minute now,” Sam predicted.

Frodo suddenly motioned his cousin to come closer.  “Merry,” he whispered conspiratorily, “I need you to bring me my clothes.”

“Not a chance,” Merry chuckled.  “Elrond said you’d try that, Frodo.  There’s less chance of you wandering about in your nightshirt than in your clothes.  And he wants you to stay in bed, for at least today, and maybe tomorrow as well.  But for now, are you hungry?  Thirsty?  Sam, are you just going to let him lie here and starve?”

“I’ve got a tray nearly ready,” Sam grinned, rushing away.

“Frodo,” Merry frowned, “I remember something else.  You touched my chest with your hand, and I felt suddenly so… strong.  Like I could do anything.”

“It must have been Gandalf’s ring,” Frodo mused.

“What ring?”

“I’ll tell you in exchange for some clothes,” Frodo persisted.  “How about it?”

“I think you’re feeling better,” Merry said with a grin.  He gave Frodo’s hand a squeeze before stepping back to make room for Sam, carrying a laden breakfast tray.  Sam put the tray on a nearby table, and while Merry gently slid his arms around Frodo and raised him to a sitting position, Sam arranged enough pillows so that Frodo could sit up comfortably.

“This can’t be just from a fever,” Frodo sighed.  “I feel as weak as a baby.”

“Gandalf said it’s ’cause you fought off Saruman’s spell,” Sam explained.  “And Lord Elrond thinks you were hit pretty hard by somethin’ in the cave, and might still be feelin’ it.”  He watched happily as Frodo took a huge bite of a thick slice of bread covered with jam, while simultaneously reaching for a bowl of fresh berries.  “You’ve got a nice bump on your head, just like Mr. Pippin does.”

“Where is Pippin?”  Frodo saw Sam’s smile fade, and he hastily swallowed his mouthful.  “What is it?  Isn’t he all right?”

“He will be,” Merry sighed.  “Pip escaped from his bed this morning when our backs were turned, took two steps, and fainted.  Scared me to death.”  He shook his head in exasperation.  “When he woke up, he was so dizzy he could barely tell me from Gandalf, but he promptly accused us of keeping him prisoner in here.  He made such a fuss that Elrond carried him outside and let him lay in the sun on some cushions -- where he promptly fell asleep again.”

“I hope someone is watching him,” Frodo said.

“Like a hawk,” Sam replied with a grin.

“Troublesome Took,” Merry grumbled.  He suddenly looked at Frodo strangely.  “Do you remember Slitherdoc?”

“Barely.  Talk about troublesome…” Frodo stared at his cousin.  “Merry, I haven’t thought of that creature in 30 years.  What brought that up?”

“I don’t know,” Merry said slowly.  “I woke up thinking about him this morning, but I don’t know why.”

“Who’s Slitherdoc?” Sam asked.

“A snake,” Merry smiled.  “I only had him for a few days, a long time ago.”

“Maybe you dreamed about snakes ‘cause of those snakes Gandalf has in the guard tent,” Sam declared.  “I don’t like havin’ those two so close to camp.”

“Neither do I, Sam,” Gandalf said, entering the tent.  He smiled at Frodo.  “How are you feeling, my lad?”

“Like an invalid.”  Frodo glanced at Gandalf’s hand and thought he could just see a flicker of… something… on the wizard’s finger, then it was gone.  He looked up to see Gandalf smiling at him.

“It is there,” Gandalf said quietly.  “In time, you could learn to see it.”

Sam looked at Merry.  “Do you know what he’s talkin’ about?”

“Hardly ever,” Merry sighed.

“Gandalf,” Frodo said urgently, “I need to see Pippin.”

The wizard shook his head.  “Elrond left strict instructions that you are not to leave this bed, Frodo.”

“I have to see him,” Frodo insisted.  “Please, Gandalf.  I thought he was dead; I just need to see that he’s all right.”

“The orders of a healer outrank even those of a king, Frodo Baggins,” Gandalf said firmly.  “But if Elrond will not let you be moved yet, I promise to bring that young rascal in to see you.  Sam, Merry…” Gandalf addressed the two hobbits, “would you please locate Elrond and ask him to join us?”

“Gandalf,” Frodo said softly when they were alone, “did I really call Merry back?  Like Aragorn did for him?  And for Sam and me?”

“Not precisely,” Gandalf said thoughtfully.  “The gift of recalling someone from the brink of death may be unique to Aragorn; however, I had no doubt that you would be successful in contacting Merry.  You have some unique abilities.”

“Not as unique as you may think; I’ll bet Pip could have done it,” Frodo said thoughtfully.

Gandalf nodded.  “I agree.”

“And Merry might be able to do the same.  He’s shown “unique abilities” as well.”

“Has he?” Gandalf asked curiously.

“In the house of Tom Bombadil, Merry dreamed of water,” Frodo explained.  “He saw water rising in a dark pool, spreading everywhere, drowning all in its path.”

“Isengard,” Gandalf muttered.

“Yes.  And he spoke the strangest words when we were rescued from the barrow -- almost as if he wasn’t Merry, for a moment.”  Frodo smiled.  “I’m far from the only hobbit to have interesting dreams, or sense unusual things.  I’ve learned quite a bit about my cousins on this Quest.”

“And I am still learning,” the wizard chuckled.  “How is it that I have not yet uncovered all there is to know about hobbits?”

“We would hardly want your life to be boring,” Frodo replied.  He frowned as his hands, holding a mug of fresh juice, started to shake.  Gandalf took the mug and helped Frodo to drink.

“You have been through a great deal since yesterday, Frodo,” Gandalf said gently.  “Your strength will return, but you must be patient.”

Elrond entered the tent with Sam at his heels, and Merry not far behind.  Frodo did his best to look alert and in the bloom of health, but the master healer was silent as he sat on Frodo’s bed and looked the hobbit over.  Frodo had slept soundly all night and the fever, while not gone, was at least no longer dangerously high.  Frodo looked pale and weary, and when Elrond asked Frodo to squeeze his hand, he could feel how little strength the hobbit was able to muster.  The nearly-empty breakfast tray, however, was a good sign.

“Is the dizziness severe?” Elrond asked quietly.

“I can bear it,” Frodo replied.  “Gandalf says that this weakness will pass.”

“I agree,” Elrond nodded.  “I understand your need to see Pippin and assure yourself that he is well -- but you must rest, Frodo, for at least today.”  He held up his hand as Frodo opened his mouth to protest.  “However, I am certain that you can rest outside of this tent as well as in it.  I will arrange some cushions next to Pippin.”

“We’ll do it,” Merry said, and he and Sam dashed off again.

“Thank you,” Frodo said to Elrond.  “How is Elladan?  I have been concerned about him.”

“Elladan has been most concerned about you, as well.  He will be greatly relieved to know that you are on the mend,” Elrond smiled at the hobbit.  “All of you are recovering.  Your young cousin, however, has already paid the price for trying to do too much, too soon; I trust you will not need to learn that same lesson?”

“If I am to be outdoors, I will need my clothes,” Frodo insisted, leaving the Elf Lord’s question unanswered.

“Not just yet,” Elrond said firmly.  Even though the morning was fine and warm, he wrapped Frodo in several blankets before lifting him, and carrying him outside.  Frodo looked about the camp, happy to be free of the tent, but almost immediately Elrond felt the small curly head resting once more upon his chest.  Unlike Pippin, Elrond knew that Frodo hadn’t the strength to stand or walk; at least one of his charges would not need such careful watching as the others.  Yet.

“They’re still here,” Frodo murmured, his eyes on Saruman and Wormtongue as they walked about, confined to a small area of the camp and under heavy guard.  “What is to be done with them?”

“I am certain that Gandalf will open his thoughts to us soon,” Elrond said.  “Here we are.”  He knelt gracefully and sat Frodo on one of the large cushions that Merry and Sam had brought to rest next to where Pippin lay asleep.  He supported Frodo in a seated position while the hobbit filled his eyes with the sight of his cousin.

“He’s so pale,” Frodo whispered.

“He was in bad shape when he got here, sir,” Sam said quietly.  “Mr. Pippin’s lucky to be alive, I’d say.  He’s nowhere near ready to be walkin’ about.”

“You are correct, Sam,” Elrond said.  “If there is any way to keep this youngster abed short of tying him to it, I am willing to hear it.”

“We’ll take care of him,” Frodo said softly.  Merry and Sam exchanged amused looks; Frodo was only slightly less pale than Pippin, and was obviously still very weak.  If they had to tie them both to their beds in order to recover properly, they would.  Sam sat down, and Elrond settled Frodo against him.

Elrohir and Elladan approached the hobbits, and Frodo winced at the sight of the lengths of bandages wrapped about the Elf’s chest.  “Elladan,” he said, “I’m so happy to see you.  Could you stay and talk for a bit?  Would sitting be too painful for you?”

“I am overjoyed to see you as well, Frodo,” Elladan grinned.  He was more than happy to remain with the hobbits and talk.  Since he suspected that his brother and father could sense how weary he was, he was certain that both had been about to order him back to bed.  With the assistance of Elrohir, he carefully lowered himself down to one of the cushions.

“I will leave all of you for a time,” Elrond said.  Sam looked up at him and nodded slightly, and the Elf Lord smiled and left.  He was leaving his charges in good hands.

*~*~*~*~*~*

“How are they?” Gandalf asked Elrond a short time later.

“Intolerably stubborn,” Elrond grumbled.  “I am greatly tempted to hide Frodo’s clothes, assign a full-time guard to Pippin, and remind my son that while immortal, he is not invulnerable.”  He sighed.  “I suspect that both Frodo and Pippin will be sleeping a great deal over the next few days.  You had best talk with them now, Gandalf, while they are all together, and awake.”

Gandalf nodded and approached the small group talking and laughing.  Pippin was now sitting up, propped against Merry, Elladan was seated next to (and being subtly supported by) Elrohir, and Frodo was leaning heavily against Sam.  All six looked up as the wizard approached.

“Forgive the intrusion,” Gandalf said, seating himself on the grass near the group.  “There is something I need to ask Elladan, Merry, and Frodo.”

“What is it, Gandalf?” Elladan asked.

“It concerns the matter of Saruman and his servant,” Gandalf continued.  “I have been thinking that their fate should be discussed by those he has injured.”

“You want us to decide the fate of a wizard?” Merry gasped.

“Ex-wizard,” Elrohir reminded him.

“He is of my Order,” Gandalf said gravely, “and I will make the final decision.  However, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.  Should they be imprisoned?  Sent to the king for judgment?  Or should we do nothing, and allow them to leave?”

“Leave?” Sam said incredulously.  “You can’t just let ’em leave.  After what they’ve done?”

“Saruman plans to forge more rings, Gandalf,” Merry said urgently.  “He said that he would give them to the kings of Gondor and Rohan -- or to future generations, when years of peace had rendered the kingdoms less vigilant.  I say that Saruman should be sent to the king.  Aragorn must be told about this.”

“Gondor is too far, and those two are still dangerous,” Elladan argued.  “They cannot be trusted, even made once more mute, and sent under guard.  King Thranduil still maintains dungeons, does he not?  Send them there.”

“Frodo?” Gandalf asked.  All eyes turned to meet Frodo’s troubled blue ones.

“Let them go,” Frodo said quietly.

“Why?” Pippin asked in amazement.  “He would have killed you all!”

“Frodo,” Merry reminded him, “Saruman knows everything about us, now.  He knows about the Shire, and, well… everything.  What might he do if he’s set free?”

“Saruman was as much enslaved by the Ring as Gollum, or… or me,” Frodo explained.  “I can feel nothing for him but pity, and sadness.”

“But he never touched it, or even saw it,” Sam reminded him.  “It wasn’t the Ring that turned him evil, but his own greed.”

“There’s no way to know that.  Sam, even you cannot imagine the insidious nature of the Ring.  Who is to say what effect it had on Saruman, even if he never touched or saw it?”  Frodo turned to Gandalf.  “His staff is broken, and his own ring unmade.  Does he still have the ability to forge rings of power?”

Gandalf was silent for a time.  “To forge rings of great craft and subtlety, perhaps,” he said at last.  “To infuse them with power, or exert control through them, to a bearer?  I would say no.  He is capable of small mischiefs at best, woven through the spell of his voice and the arrogance of a black heart.”

“Then he cannot carry out his plan to control the kings or their descendants,” Frodo declared.

“What of imprisoning him?” asked Elrohir.

“The Elves will not always dwell in Middle-earth,” said Frodo.  “What then of those who are imprisoned in Mirkwood?  Who will guard them?”

Merry and Elladan both slowly nodded.

“So be it,” Gandalf said.  “They will be permitted to leave.”

“Gandalf,” Frodo asked, “had you come to the same decision?”

“You made the same decision I would have, Frodo, but for a different reason.  I do not believe that Saruman’s fate lies in my hands, but in his own.  For good or ill, he must choose his own way and reap the consequences.”  Without warning, Gandalf smiled broadly and took Frodo into his arms.  “I am proud of you, my lad,” he murmured.  “So very, very proud.”

Frodo smiled and relaxed, suddenly overcome with drowsiness.  Gandalf held Frodo until he fell asleep, but was prevented from taking him back to bed by the protest of five soft voices.  Smiling, the wizard lay Frodo down gently, and Pippin promply slid down next to him.  Elladan gazed longingly at the empty space next to the hobbits, and could muster only a minimal struggle when Elrohir eased him down beside them.  In a matter of minutes, all three were asleep.

** TBC **

*~*~*~*~*~*

Agent PipI’m glad everyone’s all right, too!

Ailsa Joy:  “Master of the unconscious hobbit”??  Hee hee.

Ainu Laire:  I’m intrigued by the “courting story” as well, but it will be for someone else to write.  Every time I try to get Celeborn to tell me, Elrond steers him away on some invented errand.

aprilkat:  Chapter 9 was such a relief for me, as well.  And no matter how many blankets Frodo is wrapped in, I’m glad he’s still coming across as heroic, strong, resilient, and unstoppable.

Ariel3:  I’m so happy that this story is giving you such a satisfying, multi-course meal.  I must remember to leave little mints on your pillow tonight.

bandosax15:  Yes, I had to make sure that everyone got enough comfort to balance out the angst!

Baylor:  You’re always quick to pick up on the strength of the characters.  I do try to show their strength and resilience, no matter how many blankets they’re wrapped up in.  I never want to write a weak or whiny hobbit, since I don’t see them that way at all.  And I do love all the passages you highlighted.  You picked some of my favoritest lines.

Bluegrass Elf:  Elrond certainly did interfere with Celeborn telling Merry “the story”!  It must be pretty embarrassing.

Camellia Gamgee-Took:  Warm fuzzies at last!  You knew I’d get around to lots of hobbity teasing and sweetness eventually.

Carcilwen Greenleaf:  Isn’t it satisfying that so many kind and gentle folks are tending to Frodo (and the other hobbits)?  They deserve no less.

Connie:  You’re writing!  Yay!

cpsings4him:  Comfort time at last!  It was almost worth getting into that nasssty Saruman’s head to get to the cuddly, blanketty part of the story.

Elenar:  Those Merry-Pip conversations are such fun.  I love it when hobbits speak lightly but with a lot under the surface that goes unsaid (but which they both know is there).

Elendiari22:  At last there was a chapter to let loose all the banter, teasing, and lightheartedness I’ve been stifling for so long.  Free at last!

elentari*angel:  I apologize that your username gets mangled at ff.net -- no asterisk (although there’s no problem at Stories of Arda if you would rather read these author notes there).  Hobbits… sigh… we do love them so awfully much.

Elven Kitten:  You’re right -- Elrond will apparently do everything in his power to keep that story a secret.

Elwen:  I can’t get enough of Elrond caring for Frodo, either.  (And I’m sure Elrond is secretly pleased to be looking so competent in front of his father-in-law.)

endymion2:  “Slitherdoc” seemed a logical name for a seven-year old hobbit to choose for a pet snake, especially a hobbit named Meriadoc, with a father named Saradoc and a great-grandfather named Gorbadoc!

Esamen:  Thank you so much.  I think I put extra attention on the ‘comfort’ part of hurt/comfort (when we finally get there), because that’s the part of stories I enjoy writing (and reading) the most.  No matter how many blankets Frodo is wrapped in, I’m so glad he’s still coming across as heroic, strong, resilient, and unstoppable.

Firnsarnien:  You see Frodo the same way I do -- a combination of rare strength and a wounded spirit, and who both gives and needs support.  I hope you feel that Frodo’s reasoning regarding Saruman’s fate is logical and believable.  (And Budgie wrote you a story, and we all get to enjoy it!  How cool is that?)

GamgeeFest:  I doubt that “canon” Pippin intuitively knew how Merry was doing without asking, but in my hobbity universe, he does.  And I imagine that Gandalf truly would be a cranky patient!  Many people who aren’t used to being sick have little patience for it.

Gayalondiel:  Thank you for the squeezy snugs!  I shared them with the hobbits, and now they all want to come over for dinner.  I gave them your address -- hope that’s okay?

Gentle Hobbit:  Since Frodo was wearing one of the Three, and being touched by the other two, I thought Merry might see him “shining” rather spectacularly -- not to say that Frodo wouldn’t shine all by himself.  I’m so glad you liked how he handled “calling” Merry back.

girlofring:  And the comfort continues!  I couldn’t possibly just have one cuddly chapter after all that angst, now could I?

Hai Took:  Thank you for picking up on the fact that the first thing Pippin asked Merry was if he got any dinner!  That line made me smile -- it seemed very “hobbity”.

hobbitfeet13:  Frodo’s not completely well yet, so I hope you enjoy every dizzy, sleepy moment!

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  I’m afraid someone else will have to write the scene where Celeborn embarrasses Elrond with that story; I like leaving some things up to our imagination.

hyperactive forever:  Elladan is being very brave, but I just know he’s in a lot of pain in this chapter.  Definitely in need of a few more hugs, if you ask me.

illyria:  I couldn’t wait to get to the cuddly part of the story!  I think I enjoyed writing Chapters 9 and 10 more than any others.

Iorhael:  Frodo is indeed strong and noble.  Absolutely.

Jenni:  I haven’t even printed out my stories myself, although I probably should!  Thank you again for enjoying, and for such a lovely compliment.

KumQuat1:  Thank you, KumQuat!  I hope you like the continuation of the ‘comfort’ in this chapter.  There can never be enough hobbity-comfort.

Lady Jaina:  And now look at those beautiful long nails you have!  Take good care of them until the next angsty story.

Laughing Half Elf:  I hope you got some studying done!  Maybe I should send some hobbits over to help you with your homework.

Leah Beth:  Comfort comfort comfort comfort.  *happy sigh*

Leia Wood:  I’m so glad you enjoyed the hobbity conversation in Chapter 9; I loved writing it.

Lindelea:  Anytime I can weave canon into an AU tale, I will.  Those canon police are rather scary -- best to let them sleep.

lovethosehobbits:  A bit of FroAngst, a lot of FroComfort.  Ah, life is good, Tree.

Lyta Padfoot:  As you can see, Frodo reveals Merry’s “psychic talents” to Gandalf in this chapter.

MagicalRachel:  Thank you for the “wow”!  What a lovely compliment.

Mariole:  It was a real challenge trying to figure out what Merry’s “trapped” experience was like from Merry’s POV.  I’m so glad it worked.

Meethrill:  I’d love it if something in one of my stories inspired you to expand on it.

Meldewen Ilce:  It’s great to be able to finally pull some teasing and humor back into this story!

melilot hill:  Two chapters in a row without cliffhangers!  I must be losing my touch.

Mint Sauce:  It’s been agony waiting until I could finally put some humor and hobbityness back into this story.  Agony, I tell you!  And someone else will have to write the scene where Celeborn embarrasses Elrond with that story; I like leaving some things up to our imagination.

Mish:  You’re right about the updates; since this story began on March 12, I’ve actually been able to post a chapter every 1-2 weeks.  Don’t ask me how!  I do hate putting the hobbits through so much angst, but it certainly does set up a lot of cuddly comfort.

Pippinfan1988:  I’m happy you enjoyed Chapter 9 so much!  I certainly enjoyed writing it.

pipwise brandygin:  The Big Folk are doing all the fetching, carrying, feeding, and washing, aren’t they?  Thanks for catching that!  And you’re so right -- “even when Pippin is only awake for a couple of minutes he still manages to steal the show!”  Absolutely.

RogerGamgee:  Hobbits have all kinds of “hidden abilities” that pop out at the strangest times.  I highlight Merry’s in this chapter, and I know there are tons more.  Lots of hobbity stories yet to be written…

SapphireMeriadocTook:  You just knew I’d ease all the teasing and lightheartedness back into the story at my first opportunity, didn’t you?  :)

shana40347:  Thank you so much, shana!  I’m having such a great time writing, and it’s a real thrill that there are folks enjoying these stories.

The Lady Shieldmaiden:  I’ve put “book quotes” at the top of my chapters for several stories such as “Reflections of the Past” and “Sing Me Home”, and it’s something I enjoy.  It helps me to keep even an AU story like this one tied in to Professor Tolkien’s masterwork.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List