Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Mind to Mind  by shirebound

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

As they walked they compared notes, talking lightly in hobbit-fashion of the things that had happened … No listener would have guessed from their words that they had suffered cruelly, and been in dire perilThe Two Towers, ‘The Uruk-Hai’

MIND TO MIND

Chapter 9 -- Knowledge of the Heart


It was no use.  Merry sank to the ground and sat dejectedly, shaking his head in utter frustration.  He didn’t know where he was, how long he had been here, or how to escape.  Nothing made sense.  The images around him were fractured like the facets of a gem.  It was as if he was inside a gem.  Had Saruman done this to him when he touched him with that ring?  Was he inside Saruman’s ring?  The thought nearly froze his heart with fear.  Had the wizard somehow propelled him into one of the glittering jewels set in the band… trapping him for all eternity?

All around him were paths leading in every direction, and he had tried them all -- but each one led back to the beginning, to this cold, unfamiliar, lonely place.  Maybe it was all a nightmare.  Maybe…

All at once, Merry realized that the air around him was growing warm.  A gentle peace blossomed in his heart, and he felt safe and comforted -- as if he was a child again, back in his mother’s arms being fed toast and cocoa and told a story.

“Merry.”  Someone called his name, and a path Merry hadn’t noticed before appeared before him, bathed in a soft, reddish glow.

“Merry!  There you are!”

“Frodo?” Merry could barely recognize the figure who strode confidently towards him, so brightly did he shine.  Merry gazed in wonder at his cousin (was it truly?), who seemed as dazzling as Gandalf’s fireworks.  “Frodo!” Merry gasped as Frodo knelt and took him into his arms.  “Oh Frodo, you shouldn’t be here.  It isn’t safe.”

“It is you who shouldn’t be here, Merry dear,” Frodo murmured softly.  “It is time to leave this place and come back to us.”

“I’ve tried,” Merry said miserably.  “I can’t find the way back.”

“Can you see that?” Frodo asked, pointing to the glowing path.

“That wasn’t there before,” Merry said, looking at Frodo suspiciously.  “Someone else came and tried to trick me, but I wouldn’t listen.”

“I know this is confusing for you,” Frodo said.  “Saruman trapped you here, but I’ve come to bring you home.”

Merry sighed and slumped against Frodo’s chest.  “I’m so tired,” he murmured.  “How do I know this isn’t another trick?”

Frodo smiled and held Merry close, rocking him gently.  “Do you remember, when you were seven, and you thought a snake would make a great pet, then Slitherdoc got loose and the entire Hall was in an uproar?”

“Yes.”  Merry smiled, remembering.  “You never told anyone that Slitherdoc was mine, did you?”

“No.”  Frodo could feel Merry start to relax.  “And do you remember the day Pip was born, and you thought we should all get presents because it was his birthday?”

“You gave me one,” Merry said softly.  “You said Pip had sent it to me because I was his specialest cousin.”

“You are,” Frodo said.

“Frodo,” Merry said suddenly, “I don’t understand what’s happening.  I need to be sure it’s really you.  Saruman saw… he saw everything, Frodo, every memory.  He would know all those things, too, about Pip and---”

“You must believe me,” Frodo pleaded.  “Please, Merry, you know it’s me.  Can’t you feel it?”  He grasped Merry’s hands in his own, and Merry felt so much love coursing through him that he nearly wept.  Now he recognized that what he had felt when Frodo came to him was… family.

“I know it’s you,” Merry whispered.  “I know it.”

Frodo pressed his left hand to Merry’s chest, and a ring on Frodo’s finger began to glow -- the same reddish, gentle glow as the path.  Merry felt a calm strength enter his heart, and he smiled with joy.  Everything was going to be all right.

“What must I do?” Merry asked calmly.

“Stand up,” Frodo said gently, drawing Merry to his feet.  He pointed to the path.  “Just start walking, Merry, and fill your mind with where you want to be.  You’re already back in camp, Merry, you just have to see it, and believe it.  Picture our camp.  Picture Gandalf’s face.  You’re lying in a tent, on a soft bed.  It is evening, but the tent is lit with the gentle light of Elvish lanterns.  You’ll open your eyes and see Gandalf smiling down at you…”

Merry frowned.  “Aren’t you coming, too?”

“I’m already there,” Frodo said with a smile.  “Start walking, now.  That’s it.  Picture Gandalf’s face, Merry.  Our camp… a gentle evening… Gandalf…”

*~*~*~*~*~*

“Well done, Frodo… It’s all right, I’ve got you.”

Frodo couldn’t open his eyes… he couldn’t move.  Strong arms gathered him up, and he was lifted and cradled gently.  The weakness and fever he had nearly forgotten about closed in on him once more.  So hot and dizzy… voices…

“His fever has risen still higher.  As I feared, he’s very weak, Gandalf, and will need several days of complete rest once we get the fever to break.  Sam, is the bath prepared?  Pour in the rest of that and you can help with…”

Frodo felt his nightshirt being drawn over his head, and then he was lowered gently into cool water that smelled of athelas.  He sighed, relaxing into the arms that still supported him.  It was still too much of an effort to open his eyes, and he felt frighteningly weak.  So tired…

“It is all right,” Elrond’s voice murmured in his ear.  “We’ve got you, little one.  You did very well.  Let sleep take you now.  Shhhh…”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Merry felt a cool breeze on his face… from somewhere came the fragrance of athelas, and he breathed deeply of the fresh, living scent.  Someone was holding his hand.  Slowly, he began to catch snatches of conversation. 

“…very weak, Gandalf… will need several days of… Sam… you can help with…” And then another familiar voice, closer to him… “Ah, I believe Merry is waking… Merry?  That’s it, deep breaths.  Good.  Merry, open your eyes…”

Gandalf, seated on Merry’s bed, smiled in relief as Merry’s eyes opened and focused on him.

“Do you know me, Merry?” the wizard asked quietly.  “Do you know where you are?”

“I…” Merry looked around.  “This isn’t our tent.  How did I get here?”

“That is quite a long story,” Gandalf replied.  “What is the last thing you remember?”

“We were in bed, and Pip was teasing about winning the whole war by himself.”

“That was last night, Gandalf,” Sam piped up.  “Mr. Merry, don’t you remember anything about today at all?”

Merry sat up, and looked around in amazement.  Elrond and Sam were bathing Frodo, who appeared to be either asleep or unconscious.  Elrohir sat nearby, speaking softly with Elladan, who also lay abed, and lastly, he saw Pippin -- also asleep, with his arm bandaged.  Swiveling back to face Gandalf, Merry looked at the wizard for an explanation.

“You, Pippin, and Elladan left early this morning to search for caves, do you remember, Merry?” Gandalf reminded him.  “It was raining, and---”

Merry suddenly gasped, his eyes growing wide.  “The cave!  Saruman found us, and…” He suddenly clutched the wizard’s robe, his breathing growing fast and shallow.  “He… he did something… I couldn’t…”

“I know.  He will not harm you again, Merry.  He and his servant are being well guarded.”

“I’m so sorry, Gandalf,” Merry said in anguish.  “I told him about Frodo.  I didn’t mean to, I swear it.”

“Merry,” Gandalf said gently, “Against a wizard, even one whose power had been diminished, such as Saruman, few can endure for long.”

“Frodo did,” Merry argued, his eyes on his cousin.  “You should have seen it, Gandalf.”

“I did,” Gandalf said with a smile.  “Frodo shared that memory with me.”

“Is he…”  Merry looked around the tent.  “Is everyone all right?”

“They will be,” Gandalf reassured him.  “Pippin’s arm was injured, and he has a bit of fever -- but you know that your young cousin will nonetheless wake in time for breakfast.”  Merry grinned at him.  “Elladan survived being trapped beneath a heavy beam,” Gandalf continued.  He decided not to tell Merry that Saruman had enspelled Elladan nearly to his death; the sooner Merry could move past what had happened to him -- to all of them -- the better.  “And Frodo,” Gandalf continued, “suffers from the fever of which you were aware in the cave. 

“He was so strong, Gandalf.”  Merry’s eyes filled with tears.  “I should have been able to---”

“Merry,” Gandalf said firmly, “Frodo was able to resist Saruman because he had learned to resist the Ring in the same manner.  You could not have done the same, and you should not believe that you could have known how to recognize and fight the spell of one such as Saruman.”

“All right,” Merry sighed.  “But I remember…” He closed his eyes for a moment.  “I couldn’t find my way back.  Frodo… did I just imagine things, or did he really come after me?”

“He really did,” the wizard replied simply.

“How?”

“That, my friend, is a tale for the morning.  Do not be alarmed if your memories from today are not perfectly clear.  You are back with us, safe and sound.”  Gandalf rose to his feet.  “I will see what food is available for a hungry hobbit.”

Merry nodded, still a bit confused.  He suddenly looked down at himself, realizing that he was wearing different clothes than he remembered donning that morning.  He started to ask, then thought better of it.  Perhaps some things were best left unremembered.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Celeborn straightened up from where he had been making a final check on Pippin.  He lay a light blanket over his charge -- and over Merry.  Like Sam, Merry had refused to return to the hobbits’ tent, insisting instead on curling up next to his young cousin and “watching over him”.

“Sam is finally asleep,” Gandalf said with a smile, motioning to one of the beds.

“As is Merry,” Celeborn replied, “finally.  I wondered if he would be able to sleep at all.  There are still some things he does not remember, and perhaps never will.”  He sighed.  “Perhaps it is just as well.”

“Perhaps.  It has been quite a day, my old friend.”

“Indeed it has,” Celeborn agreed.  “And tomorrow?  Will you permit Saruman to go on his way?”

“I have not yet decided,” Gandalf replied.  They both joined Elrond at Frodo’s bedside.  “How is Frodo?” he asked, speaking quietly.

“The crisis has passed,” Elrond replied.  “Now that his fever has finally broken, all I can prescribe is nourishment and rest.  Or at least,” he sighed, “as much rest as a stubborn hobbit can be persuaded to endure.  They can be most difficult patients.”

“Let us not forget the stubbornness of Elves,” Gandalf said with a smile.  “Elladan is already most impatient to be up and about.”

“Speaking of stubborn patients,” Celeborn added, “I am reminded of a certain wizard whom the Lord of Eagles brought to us for healing.”  He chuckled.  “I would prefer a score of hobbit patients rather than another obstinate, willful, difficult---”

“Your memory is somewhat unreliable,” Gandalf said absently.  His smile faded slowly as he gazed down at Frodo’s sleeping form.  Elrond and Sam had given the weakened hobbit a second, cooling bath, into which the remaining athelas water had been mixed, then redressed him in a soft nightshirt before putting him back to bed, wrapped warmly in blankets.

“He will not wake again tonight,” Elrond said quietly.  “The fever is diminishing, but he suffers still from great weakness, and perhaps even residual effects from being struck on the head in the cave.”  He saw Gandalf frown.  “He will recover, Gandalf; they all will.  You of all people know how resilient the hobbits have shown themselves to be.  They have weathered more dire circumstances than these.”

“Perhaps Saruman was correct,” Gandalf said suddenly.  He sat carefully upon the bed, taking one of Frodo’s small hands in his own.  “He accused me of using the hobbits carelessly, and giving little thought to their welfare in my urgency to see a larger goal accomplished.”

“Even if that were true,” Elrond said, “did not each of them also have freedom of choice?  Say, rather, that you saw within the hobbits untapped potential, and qualities unique among the Free Peoples.  Their achievements were, and are, truly remarkable.”

“Be at peace, my friend,” Celeborn said, laying a hand on Gandalf’s shoulder.  “Even you could not see all ends, save that the Secondborn were destined in this War to come into their own -- or else sink utterly into darkness.  The hobbits needed to play their part, to defend the lands they love.”  He smiled as Frodo stirred in his sleep, his fingers curling unconsciously around Gandalf’s. 

Elrond nodded.  “We will never know, Gandalf, if even such a one as Aragorn could have parted with the One Ring at the end, should he have undertaken the Quest himself and brought it to Orodruin.  And you know, better than anyone, the unexpected strengths and hidden abilities of the Shirefolk.  My friend,” he continued, “do not let the serpent’s words cause you to doubt yourself.  Perhaps you, too, are not as immune to his voice as you believe.  Saruman the White was a being of great power; who is to say of what he is still capable?”

“Less now than before,” Gandalf said quietly.  He gently slid his hand away from Frodo’s, tucked the blankets back around the sleeping hobbit, and rose to his feet.  “Saruman is capable still of small mischiefs, perhaps, but his path, and its end, are not clear to me.”  He smiled.  “What I do know is that I no longer fear for the hobbits; they have grown up, and will see to their own affairs with great wisdom and skill.”  He turned suddenly to Celeborn.  “And I was not a difficult patient.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Pippin woke briefly, hours later, when the tent was dark and quiet.  He knew, even before he opened his eyes, that Merry was all right, and was unsurprised when he turned his head and discovered his cousin next to him.  He smiled as Merry’s eyes opened and met his.

“Pip?”

“H’lo,” Pippin whispered sleepily.  “Did you get any dinner?”

“Yes.”

“Is Frodo all right?”

“I think so,” Merry said, not really sure about that.  “He… he came and got me, Pip.  I was lost…”

“I know.”  Pippin looked around a little.  “How’s Elladan?”

“Hmmph.  Don’t you want to ask me how I am?”

“I don’t have to,” Pippin said simply.  “I can always tell.”

“Oh.”

“The Lady washed your cloak,” Pippin said, yawning.  “It’s good as new.”

“The Lady did what?” Merry asked, aghast.  He felt Pippin’s cheek, still warm with fever.  “Are you sure you didn’t dream that?”

“And they brought back your sword,” Pippin continued, “and Frodo’s star-glass, and…” He filled Merry in on what had been happening in camp that day (as far as he remembered it).  “I wish I hadn’t slept through all the exciting parts,” Pippin said mournfully.  He turned onto his left side to face his cousin, then winced as his injured arm started to throb.

“I hear you were very brave,” Merry said, gently sliding his own pillow beneath Pippin’s arm.

“Mm hm,” Pippin murmured, pressing closer to Merry.  “I’ll tell you about it in the morning.”

“I’ll bet you will,” Merry chuckled.  “And just so you’re not getting any ideas, you didn’t win this war all by yourself either, you silly hobbit.”

“I know,” Pippin nodded.  “This time, I had a little help.”

“You crazy Took,” Merry said fondly.

“Merry,” Pippin whispered suddenly, “if I’d been there, I would never have let Saruman hurt you or Frodo.”

“I know,” Merry whispered back.

Pippin smiled and closed his eyes, then slowly relaxed as he slid into a peaceful sleep.

Merry pulled up the rumpled blankets, making sure Pippin was well covered.  Celeborn approached the bed with another pillow, and handed it to Merry.

“Thank you.”  Merry looked up at the Elf Lord.  “Is Pip going to be all right?  Truly?  He’s still too warm.”

“He will be fine,” Celeborn assured him, laying a gentle hand on Pippin’s forehead.  “The fever is greatly reduced.”

“Thank you for all you’ve done,” Merry said gratefully.  “Pippin told me that you’ve been taking care of him all day.”

“It has been my pleasure,” Celeborn smiled.  “We have had some very interesting conversations.”

“I know.  Pip said he was sorry not to have heard the end of your story -- about Lord Elrond courting your daughter.”  Merry grinned.  “Will you tell it to me?”

“Are you keeping Merry awake?” Elrond suddenly appeared at Celeborn’s side and led his father-in-law away.  “How very inconsiderate of you.”

** TBC **

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Agent Pip:  Don’t worry, I usually make everything/everyone all better by the end!

Ailsa Joy:  I loved writing Saruman at Gandalf’s mercy.  Such an arrogant, self-centered… grrrr…  And look!  No cliffhanger this time!  *Ailsa faints*

Ainu Laire:  You’re so brave to pick up that charred ring!  (And don’t let me see you selling that on Ebay.)

Ami:  As you can see, Gandalf wasn’t completely immune to that serpent’s tongue,  And oh, thank you so much for the hugs.  *hugs you back*

Anso the Hobbit:  I’m so happy to hear, this far into the story, that you felt that it was getting “more” exciting!

aprilkat:  Thank you so much.  I’m so relieved when someone says that ‘my’ characters seem believably written.

Ariel3:  Celery sticks!  Is that what I’ve driven you to?  Ah well, I’d hate to be responsible for any fanfic-driven poundage.

AshNight2:  Now, now -- you knew Merry would be all right!

bandosax15:  Saruman’s power isn’t totally destroyed.  In the chapter of ROTK ‘The Scouring of the Shire’, Frodo tells the hobbits at Bag End that Saruman “has lost all power, save his voice.”  And you want me to write more about Frodo?  How about that -- it’s one of my favorite things to do!

Birch tree:  Thank you!  And as you can see, Gandalf wasn’t totally immune to Saruman’s words about his treatment of the hobbits.

Bookworm2000:  Thank you for trying so hard to review Chapter 8 -- ff.net does have its quirks, doesn’t it?

Camellia Gamgee-Took:  Look, Camellia!  No cliffhanger (this time)!

Carcilwen Greenleaf:  You’re the first reader who volunteered to be the one to call Merry back.  Gosh, I could have just let Frodo sleep!

ClaudiaofBree:  Don’t think I haven’t wondered myself how I can get “into” the mind of nasty Saruman.  Maybe we’ve just all known our share of arrogant, self-centered people who have no regard or respect for others.  Oooh, don’t get me started.

Connie:  Yay Pippin, indeed!  I hope you enjoy his recovery.

cpsings4him:  You wanna know a secret?  (whispers)  I love Frodo, too!

Elenar:  Gandalf really has such fondness and respect for Pippin -- it was nice to see that aspect brought out in the third movie, wasn’t it?

elentari*angel:  I feel thoroughly hugged, and so does Frodo.  *hugs you back*

Elven Kitten:  There can never be too many cuddles -- in fiction, or in real life.

Elwen:  Such a compliment from one of my favorite authors just takes my breath away.  And… so sorry about all the cliffhangers!  Lookee here -- a whole entire chapter without one.

EmeraldFaith:  The reason Pip couldn’t help Merry came down to the fact that Celeborn needed to put him to sleep so he could reopen the infected wound and do some more medical stuff.  So… Pip just wasn’t available.  And Merry loves all your hugs!

endymion2:  Sorry that Saruman’s ring was destroyed so easily, but it had to go so I could tell the rest of the story.

esamen:  Angst and comfort?  Me?  My gosh, what strange ideas you people have.  And thank you ever so much for complimenting the “Aragorn calling back Frodo from the depths” scene -- I worked very hard on that and tried to make it “just right”.

Firnsarnien:  I don’t trust Saruman, either!  Such an arrogant, self-centered… grrrr…

Frodolover:  I appreciate your comments!  I didn’t mean to imply that only Frodo or Pippin could use Gandalf’s ring, but that they would be the best two choices to contact Merry --  because Merry trusted and loved them, and also because they had each exhibited heightened mental abilities.  Gandalf’s reasoning was that Pippin had already shown a “psychic” sense in TTT, and that he could be guided to use it to reach Merry.

GamgeeFest:  I love how you see the bright side -- yes, Frodo is getting a lot of sleep!

Gayalondiel:  Oh, I’m so glad my chapters are giving you so many plot bunnies.  I look forward to seeing them hop freely.

Gentle Hobbit:  The possibilities with this whole scenario were endless, but I couldn’t write more than one of them.  Maybe someone else will explore these themes further, or take them in completely different directions.

girlofring:  You want more comfort for Frodo?  Well golly… guess I can manage that!

Hai Took:  Oh yes, if there’s one thing Saruman still has, it’s pride and arrogance.

hobbitfeet13:  I’m amazed to be doing a “splendid job” writing Saruman -- he’s so truly twisted!  Yes, his sly accusations about Gandalf’s “careless treatment” of the hobbits rang true with our good wizard -- as you can see in this chapter.

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  Omigosh, Lily, this chapter didn’t end in an evil cliffhanger!  How odd…

hyperactive forever:  I didn’t want to say anything, but Elladan really is recovering very fast.  Just how many hugs are you giving him?

illyria-pffyffin:  I’m so happy you’re finding the story “gripping” -- what a compliment.

Iorhael:  You got it!  The title of this story, “Mind to Mind”, covers a lot of scenarios -- the bearers of the Three contacting each other, Frodo sensing them, Gandalf contacting Frodo, Elrohir sensing Elladan, Saruman contacting Merry, Frodo contacting Merry, etc.  A veritable wealth of folks communicating “mind to mind”!

Jay of Lasgalen:  I’m honored that you think I’m writing the twins well -- I’m still learning how to write Elves in a satisfactory way.

Jenni:  My gosh, of course you may save (or print out) this story -- or anything else I’ve written.  That’s a lovely compliment.

Lady Jaina:  Oh no, don’t bite your nails completely off, Jaina -- there are so many more stories yet to come, and you may need them!

Laughing Half Elf:  I do consider the comfort part of a story to be ‘the good part’!

Leah Beth:  I’m so glad you thought Frodo was the best choice to call Merry back -- I tried hard to write it logically.  I actually do know several sets of twins; they almost speak their own language with each other, and seem very intuitive where their “other half” is concerned.

Leia Wood:  Hee hee.  That’s how we all feel, I think -- we want to spare Frodo any more angst… or do we?  (And I’m so pleased you enjoyed “Reflections of the Past”!)

LilyBaggins:  Gosh, I just know how much you hate to see Frodo “overtax himself”!  And I do apologize that the bathing is mostly implied, but I’m sure your imagination can fill in any necessary details.

Lindelea:  Do you suppose Elladan has Took blood in him from… somewhere?  He does seem rather impatient and “hasty” for an Elf!

Lossenchristal:  I “sort of knew” Frodo would use Narya, too!  I just had to make him the logical choice.

lovethosehobbits:  Breathe, tree!  Breathe!  I hope this chapter came before you collapsed.

Mariole:  I did get a thrill when I remembered Pippin’s “ability” from TTT; and I’ll have something to say about Merry’s “hidden ability” as well -- probably in Chapter 10.  Those hobbits are infinitely interesting.

Meethrill:  I love how you call Saruman an “old coot”.  And wow, Chapter 8 made the sun come out (literally)?  I hope Chapter 9 does the same!

melilot hill:  You know, this story really does have more than its share of cliffhangers.  I just can’t figure out who’s responsible for that…

Melylott S. Banks:  Oooh, “sleepy, feverish, yet still so brave” Frodo.  One of my favorite things, Mely.

Periantari:  Are you kidding?  I love long reviews!  I hope I didn’t leave you on the edge of your seat for too long, and that this chapter begins all the lovely “comfort” you were looking forward to.

Pippinfan1988:  I know your beloved Pip didn’t have much to do in Chapter 8 (being asleep and all), but he’s baaack for a little scene in this chapter.  What a sweetie.

pipwise brandygin:  Thank you for seeing all the sweetness and selflessness in this story.  And… do you know that I just figured out your username?  All those hobbits right in front of me, and I never realized it!  (hangs head in shame)

Roger Gamgee:  Thanks, Roger!  You have to admit that Pippin’s ‘logic’ about his important part in the War is rather convincing (at least, to him), but in a playful, lighthearted way -- I just had to revisit it in this chapter.  I’m honored to be put on “author alert” -- that’s quite a compliment.

Samwise the Strong:  Nope, Chapter 9 isn’t “The End”!  Still more to go…

Tialys:  There were three rings and three hobbits, but I always was steering the story to this exact scenario: that Nenya would be needed to help Elladan and Vilya for Frodo (while they were still in the cave), and Narya would be used for Merry (back at camp).  At this point in the story, Pippin was asleep (having been given a sleep potion), so he isn’t available to help.  The Elves didn’t help “call” Merry -- they helped strengthen Frodo while he called Merry.  I agree with you -- the hobbits can handle things!

Willow:  Thank you very much for seeing logic in Saruman’s reasoning.  As you can see, you anticipated this chapter -- Gandalf really was shaken by Saruman’s words.

Yuna Dax:  I didn’t know, until I started writing this story, how many fans Elladan and Elrohir had.  And omigosh, you’re sighing and wallowing!  I’m thrilled.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List