Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mind to Mind  by shirebound

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

“Come back, Saruman!” said Gandalf in a commanding voice.  To the amazement of the others, Saruman turned again, and as if dragged against his will, he came slowly back.  “I did not give you leave to go,” said Gandalf sternly.  Gandalf, The Two Towers, ‘The Voice of Saruman’

MIND TO MIND

Chapter 6 -- Strength and Uncertainty


Frodo looked around in confusion.  “How did we get here?”

Gandalf smiled and motioned to the beautiful field and majestic tree under which they sat.  “It is beautiful, is it not?”

“I’ve always loved it here,” Frodo agreed.  He felt strange -- a bit lightheaded, and so tired…  Was he truly home?  The field surrounding the Party Tree seemed different… vague…

“I’ve been wanting to talk with you, Frodo,” Gandalf said seriously.  “You’ve been so ill, since returning to the Shire, that we’ve had no chance.”

“I’ve been ill?” Frodo tried to remember what had happened in the past months, but a headache was making it difficult to concentrate..

“I’ve been caring for you,” Gandalf explained, “along with Sam and your cousins.  You’ve been having such nightmares, Frodo.  Nightmares about the Ring.”

“Have I?” Frodo sighed, plucking at the cool, green grass that surrounded him.  “I suppose they will fade, in time.”

“The time has come to talk about the Ring,” Gandalf said, leaning closer.  “If you let the memories surface, fully, your nightmares will cease.  You know that I would not advise you falsely.  Tell me about how it felt to wear the Ring.  How heavy was it?”  He pressed a hand to Frodo’s forehead.  “Think about the Ring, Frodo.  Concentrate.”

Frodo shuddered as a frightening pressure began to build in his head.  He tried desperately to remember when he had felt something like it, before.  And when had they returned to the Shire?  Had he seen Bilbo?  Gandalf would never ask about… Gandalf wouldn’t…

Frodo gasped and pulled away from the robed figure.  He rose to his feet and backed away.  “You’re not Gandalf,” he declared.

“Frodo---”

“You’re not!” Frodo cried.  “This is a trick!”  He swayed, feeling suddenly sick and cold.  The face of the wizard blurred and changed.  “I won’t tell you anything, Saruman,” he whispered.  He sank to his knees, his head swimming.  “I… I won’t…”

“You weaken, Ringbearer,” Saruman murmured, with a satisfied smile.  As Frodo’s fever had risen, hastened by a lack of water and warmth, his ability to focus his thoughts, and resist the constant, unrelenting voice, had begun to waver at last.

“You could have ruled the world, Halfling,” the ex-wizard addressed the shivering, semi-conscious hobbit still bound to the icy wall of the cave.  “Those who will not wield power do not deserve it.  When I have forged the next Great Ring, I will not hesitate to use it.”  Saruman’s dark eyes glittered as he envisioned Middle-earth under his rule.  “You and your kind will serve me, and you will no longer recognize your precious Shire.”  He touched his ring to Frodo’s temple, and the feverish hobbit moaned and tried to draw away.  “Yes,” Saruman murmured, “it is time.”  He closed his eyes and prepared for a stronger assault on the hobbit’s weakened inner defenses -- only to be shaken completely from his concentration by a loud shout, a yell from Wormtongue, and a hobbit-shaped blur crashing into him and knocking him over.

Sam had made his way silently down the long, dark passageways, unable to see anything beyond what his torch could show him.  Just as the burning branch he was holding was nearly consumed, he saw a flickering light some distance ahead.  He dropped what was left of his torch, drew Sting, and moved forward.  Coming to where the narrow passage opened into what appeared to be a large cavern, lit only by a central fire, Sam peered cautiously into the room, unnoticed by its occupants.

A man in dirty, torn robes sat by the fire gnawing on a bone to which only shreds of meat remained.  A hobbit lay unmoving nearby, his hands bound in front of him.  Mr. Merry…  But all of this was peripheral to a sight that filled Sam with a rage so intense that he could scarcely breathe.  Another man crouched by the wall of the cavern, his right hand held to a hobbit’s brow and his left convulsively clenching and unclenching at his side.  Mr. Frodo!    Frodo, filthy and shivering, was sitting, eyes closed, slumped against the side of the cave with his hands bound and secured to something protruding from the wall.  Even in the dim light, Sam could see that his master was in pain, or sick.

With a shout, Sam ran across the cavern, intent only on freeing Frodo from the clutches of the villain who had imprisoned him.  He barely registered the other man coming at him, a knife flashing…

As Sam raced towards Frodo, Wormtongue hesitated -- wishing, as always, to keep himself from harm while at the same time maintaining the pretense of valor.  Seeing only a lone Halfling holding what appeared to be a shining knife, and fearing his master’s wrath should he flee, he had drawn his own knife and flung himself at the irate hobbit, only to be met by Sting.  Sam, hardly slowing down, slashed at Wormtongue’s robes, and the man howled in pain as the sharp sword cut his leg.  He retreated, whimpering, as far as possible from the determined hobbit who, to his astonishment, shoved his master aside and planted himself in front of the ill halfling.

“Stay back, you,” Sam said, keeping Sting extended in front of him.

Saruman slowly rose to his feet, glaring at the puny being who had dared to touch him.  “Do you know who I am, Halfling?” he hissed.

“I know you’re that wizard,” Sam replied, never taking his eyes from the figure looming above him.  “Wizard or no, you’ve hurt Mr. Frodo and Mr. Merry, and you’ll pay for it.”

“Is that right?” Saruman said quietly, his eyes boring into Sam’s.  “I think you would like to put that knife down, Samwise.”

“How d’you know my name?” Sam gasped.

“I know everything about you,” Saruman continued, his voice smooth and focused.  “Put down that knife, Sam, and I will release Frodo.  I was just about to do so when you so rudely interrupted me.”

“I… I don’t believe you…” Sam faltered, his arm already lowering Sting.

“Worm,” Saruman called out to his cringing servant, “where are your manners?  Come and relieve our guest of his heavy sword, and make him comfortable.”  Samwise Gamgee, Saruman exulted to himself, the second Ringbearer.  The information I seek is within my grasp.  “You can trust me, Sam,” he continued soothingly, as Sting clattered to the ground.  “We have much to discuss, you and I.”

“Hold!”  A booming voice echoed throughout the cavern, freezing all who heard it in their tracks.  Saruman hissed in anger as Gandalf and Elrond entered the cavern, followed by a half dozen fierce-looking Elves each with arrows nocked to their bows.  Wormtongue yelped and tried to run, but two of the Elves easily subdued him.  Thinking quickly, Saruman pushed Sam aside and grabbed Sting.  Before anyone could stop him, he knelt next to Frodo.

“Do not hinder me, Gandalf,” Saruman said menacingly.  He held Sting’s blade to the hobbit’s pale throat.  “I will kill your precious Ringbearer unless you allow me safe passage.”

“Master, don’t leave me here!” Wormtongue wailed.

“It burns.”  Gandalf suddenly spoke in a clear, commanding voice.  “It sears as a flame.”

With a cry, Saruman dropped Sting, which his mind told him had suddenly flared white-hot in his hand.  Shaking, he stood up as if pulled to his feet by an unseen force.

“Mute,” Gandalf continued in the same tone of voice.  He motioned with his staff first to Saruman, then to Wormtongue.  “Neither of you may speak until I give you leave.”

Wormtongue gasped and clutched at his throat as he suddenly realized that he had lost the power of speech.  Motioning with their arrows for him to precede them, two of the Elves took Wormtongue away while the others quickly surrounded Saruman.  Unable to wait another moment, Sam grabbed Sting and raced to where Frodo lay; at the same time, Gandalf started towards Merry.  Kneeling next to his master, Sam sliced through the filthy rags that secured him to the metal pipe.

“Mr. Frodo,” Sam said, pulling Frodo, fevered and shivering, into his arms, “can you speak to me?  What’s that villain done to you?”

“S. . Sam?” Frodo’s eyes fluttered open and he gazed at Sam in disbelief, his friend’s face hazy and indistinct.  “Are you real?”

“Real as I’ve ever been,” Sam assured him.  “We’re gettin’ you out of here.  Gandalf is tendin’ to Mr. Merry.”  He frantically checked for broken bones.  “Are you hurt?”

“Not hurt, just… cold,” Frodo whispered, “and… hot…”  He started to say more, but was caught in a fit of coughing that left him gasping for breath.  Sam, quickly wrapping his own cloak around Frodo, looked up anxiously as Elrond knelt beside them.  “He’s burnin’ up, sir.”

Elrond lay his left hand upon Frodo’s chest, and his right across the hobbit’s eyes and forehead.  Unsure whether or not he was still dreaming, Frodo saw the same blue flash behind his eyes as he had seen the night before, and the pounding headache that had plagued him began to fade.  He felt so weak, he would have collapsed to the ground had Sam not been supporting him.

“He has a high fever,” Elrond said with a frown.  He concentrated on channeling Vilya’s healing energy into Frodo’s body, and the hobbit’s labored breathing eased.  “Like Elladan, Frodo has spent himself in resisting Saruman’s spells.”

“Mr. Frodo fought off a wizard’s spell?” Sam asked in awe.  He began rubbing Frodo’s hands, which were cold and swollen from their confinement.

“He did indeed,” Elrond said softly.  He held his water bottle to Frodo’s parched lips, and the sick hobbit drank thirstily.

“Thank you,” Frodo sighed.  “Please, see to Merry.  He’s---”

Just then, Gandalf joined them, holding Merry, still unconscious, in his arms.  “How is he, Elrond?”

“Leave him be, Saruman!” Frodo cried out.  He shrank back against Sam as the blurred, robed figure approached him.  “Get away from me!  I won’t tell you!  I won’t let you do it!”

“Frodo,” Gandalf murmured, “it is I.  Gandalf.”  Elrond took Merry, and the wizard knelt and clasped Frodo’s hands in his.  “Look at me, Frodo.  Touch my thoughts, my lad, you can do it.”

Frodo, unwilling to trust his eyes, tentatively reached out with his thoughts and made contact with the being in front of him.  He was immediately enveloped by the same warm, familiar feeling as when he had sensed Gandalf letting him know about the search party. 

“Gandalf,” he whispered, “Forgive me.  I thought you… you were…”

“There is nothing to forgive,” the wizard said gently.  “Saruman wished information from you?”

“Yes,” Frodo nodded.  “He---”

“Wait,” Gandalf motioned.  He looked up at the Elves.  “Take Saruman and his servant back to camp and confine them to an empty tent,” he said decisively.  “See that they’re fed, and any injuries tended, but guard them well.”  Saruman, his eyes glittering with rage and hatred, stalked out of the chamber, followed by the armed escort.

“Gandalf,” Frodo turned frightened, imploring eyes to the wizard, “Pippin was buried, he was…” He steeled himself for the worst.  “Did you… find him?”

“He found us, Frodo,” Gandalf reassured him.  “Pippin was injured, but he was able to return to camp to tell us what happened.  Celeborn is tending to him.”

Frodo slumped against Sam, drained.  “I thought him dead,” he whispered in utter relief.

“It would take more than a collapsing cave to stop Peregrin Took,” Gandalf grinned.

“And Elladan?”

“We reached him in time,” Gandalf said.  “Elrohir and Galadriel are with him.”

“Merry…” Frodo reached out for his cousin, his eyes filled with worry.

“Frodo,” Gandalf said quietly, “tell me what happened.”

“Saruman wanted information about the Ring,” Frodo said, his eyes never leaving Merry’s face.  “He wants to forge another.”

“I am not surprised,” Gandalf muttered angrily.  “Thoughts of the One Ring have devoured him completely.”

“He learned I was the Ring-bearer.  He tried to get into my mind, but I wouldn’t let him.”

“You wouldn’t let him?” Gandalf smiled at him.  “You have grown indeed, my dear hobbit.”

“Then he… he did something to Merry,” Frodo continued.  “Merry didn’t understand, he couldn’t have known…”

“Tell me.”

“Saruman’s voice is like the Ring,” Frodo said.  “Merry didn’t recognize what Saruman was doing.  How could he?”  He took a deep breath.  “Saruman focused all his power on Merry, I could tell.  Merry started to shake, and then he screamed, and… afterwards, Saruman knew my name; he said that he now shared all of Merry’s memories.” Frodo looked in anguish towards his cousin.  “He hasn’t woken, Gandalf.  Can you help him?”

“I believe so,” the wizard said.  “For now, however, we must all return to camp.  Celeborn has probably had to tie Pippin to his bed to keep him from coming after you.”  He was glad to see a small smile light Frodo’s face at the thought.

While Sam was wrapping Frodo in blankets, drawing him closer to the fire, and urging him to drink and eat a bit, Gandalf turned all of his attention to where Elrond was trickling some water down Merry’s throat, a few drops at a time.

“As far as I can tell, Merry is not physically injured,” Elrond informed him quietly.  “He is responsive enough to swallow, but he does not wake fully.”  He frowned.  “I sense some type of shock, and mental confusion.  What has Saruman done to him?”

Gandalf shook his head in anger.  “Frodo says that Saruman invaded Merry’s memories,” he said.  “There are few things more delicate, Elrond, and more potentially dangerous.  Both times I read Frodo’s memories, in Rivendell and in Ithilien, I used the greatest care and gentleness.  I fear that Saruman used neither.”

“Celeborn sensed that all three rings would be needed,” Elrond reminded him.  “Galadriel is aiding Elladan, and I have channeled some of Vilya’s energies into Frodo to begin to restore the strength he expended -- strength he will need to endure this fever until I can better treat him.  Can Narya be used to reach Merry?  You helped Théoden free himself from Saruman’s spell.”

“That is true,” Gandalf agreed.  “I have already tried to bring Merry back to us, but was unsuccessful.”

“You caused Saruman to believe that the knife burned him, and his voice is lost to him until you say otherwise.  Does he then retain such power to entrap another’s mind this strongly?” Elrond asked.  “Did you not break his staff at Isengard?”

“I did,” Gandalf said.  “To penetrate so deeply into Merry’s mind should now lie beyond his abilities.”  He grew thoughtful.  “Saruman learned from Merry that Frodo was the Ringbearer, and tried to read his thoughts, as well.  Frodo may be able to tell us exactly what Saruman did to him, and also to Merry.  I need more information.  Saruman is drawing power from somewhere, or something.”

“Frodo is in no condition to be questioned further just now,” Elrond cautioned, “and Merry is in no immediate danger.  We must return to camp first, and tend to them, and Elladan.”  Cradling the still-unconscious Merry gently in his arms, he rose to his feet, as did Gandalf, and they joined Sam and Frodo at the fire.

“It is time to go, Frodo,” Gandalf said gently.

“I can walk,” Frodo said faintly, but as Sam helped him to his feet, dizziness overcame him, and only Sam’s quick motion saved him from stumbling into the fire.  Gandalf quickly reached down and pulled Frodo into his arms.

“Rest, Frodo,” Elrond said.  “There is much healing ahead, and you must preserve your strength.”

Frodo nodded and relaxed into the wrapping of blankets, relieved to feel Gandalf’s strong arms holding him securely.  His thoughts began to grow sluggish.  “Gandalf…”

“Yes?”

“I don’t… I’m not feeling very well,” Frodo whispered groggily.  “Don’t tell Sam,” he murmured, starting to slide into sleep.  “He… he worries so…”

Gandalf looked down at Sam, standing not a foot away, and winked at him.

“It will be our secret, dear boy.”

** TBC **

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

:)  Your username is short and sweet!  Thank you for reading.

Agent Pip:  ‘Your Pip’ loved your kiss and hug -- now we need to get Frodo and Merry all safe and sound, as well.

Ailsa Joy:  Thank you, Ailsa.  And I’m so glad I could relieve your Elf-worry and a bit of the hobbit-worry!

Ainu Laire:  Don’t wield that pitchfork just yet -- I still need Saruman around for a while!

Amrunofthesummercountry:  Thank you!  And that’s definitely Saruman’s weakness -- the fact that he’s so sure of himself, he tends to underestimate everyone else he encounters.

angelsflame265:  Gandalf did his best to hurry!

Annis:  Ninja Hobbit Sam!  Sounds like a great action figure.

aprilkat:  I enjoy showing things in a new way (such as someone other than Frodo or Sam using the star-glass); thank you for mentioning it.

Aratlithiel1:  Wow, thanks for such enthusiasm.  You wield such power with that Jedi Mind-Trick.

Ariel3:  Can I interest you in this lovely oversized box of Raisinettes?

Arwen Baggins:  I’ll consider putting a Gandalf-healing-in-Lórien story on my to-do list.  But… there wouldn’t be any hobbits in it!  *sob*

bandosax15:  So you’re the reason all these kiwibirds are flying around my apartment!

Baylor:  Thank you for all your wonderful comments!

BekaJWP:  I’m glad you like the way I’m writing Celeborn -- I still find Elves such a challenge.

Birch tree:  We’re getting back to Merry… slowly but surely!

Bluegrass Elf:  I think you’re one of the few readers who enjoys cliffhangers!  :)

Bookworm2000:  It’s interesting to try to bring to life a less-known character like Celeborn.

Camellia Gamgee-Took:  Thank you for enjoying ‘my’ characters so much; I love writing them.

Caricilwen Greenleaf:  Screaming?  Collapsing in a heap?  What am I doing to you??  *hurries to get everyone rescued and tucked into bed a.s.a.p.*

Connie:  I’m glad you think I left Pippin in good hands -- I do my best!  And Sam is pretty capable of handling things on his own, usually; wizards (and ex-wizards) are a tough challenge, though.

cpsings4him:  Thank you very much.  I love writing these stories so much, and what a thrill to know that other folks are enjoying them.

elentari*angel:  That sounds perfect!  With all of us lining up to hug the hobbitses (and Elves), they’ll be well in no time.

Elven Kitten:  You scare ‘em, we can both cuddle ‘em!  LOL

Elwen:  I’m glad you enjoyed the Pippin-Celeborn scene.  I really enjoyed writing it.

Esamen/Karen:  I like not being completely predictable!  In “Quarantined”, Frodo had a healthy childhood (gasp!), and now, the occasional medicine gets to be nice tasting!  I suppose you’re right about the cliffhangers, although I try to write some chapters without them.  And oh, what a lovely review.  Thank you.

fadagaski:  Silly, wonderful Sam!  How we love him.

Firnsarnien:  I don’t think Galadriel and Elrohir would mind your assistance with Elladan!  You can hold his hand for awhile… maybe a gentle kiss…

GamgeeFest:  LOL!  You’re not the only one who wants a sick-and-grumpy Gandalf story.  It is a cute notion…

Gayalondiel:  You and Arwen Baggins!  If I ever write a Gandalf-in-Lórien story, you two will be the first to hear about it.

Gershwhen:  I always try to treat the characters with respect, whether they’re hobbits or not.  And I enjoy bringing unlikely people together (such as Pippin and Celeborn), just to see what happens.

girlofring:  There certainly are a lot of powerful emotions coming out amongst our characters, but I doubt that anyone is quite as angry, now, as Saruman.  Another of his beautiful plans foiled!

Grav:  Galadriel -- described in The Silmarillion as “most beautiful of all the House of Finwë -- was probably quite a prize, and I suspect her brothers would have been most protective of her!

GTA Otaku:  Sam to the rescue, indeed!

Hai Took:  I do love to throw unlikely combinations of people together; it makes for such unexpected conversations.

hobbitfeet13:  Yes, the good old Silmarillion.  I’m being drawn to it for research purposes more and more, at least for the somewhat complex fics like this one.  And… wise or unwise, there’s no holding Sam back.  I tried!

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  Sorry, I just couldn’t hold Sam back any longer!

horseblaze:  Indeed, they would have had to tie Sam up in a sack to keep him from rushing to Frodo’s aid.

hyperactive forever:  Go right ahead with the torture -- as long as we can cuddle them afterwards!  :)

Ianar:  Thank you for the “Happy Writing” good wishes.  Writing about hobbits always makes me happy, and what a joy to be able to share these stories with folks sweet enough to beg for more.  This chapter didn’t go exactly how you hoped it would (you and your evil chuckle!), but I hope you enjoyed it anyway!

illyria-pffyffin:  Thank you!  Now that I’ve gotten into the heads of ringwraiths and deranged ex-wizards, I think I can take a break from villainy for awhile.  Nassssty villains…

Jenni:  I had no idea that Elladan had such loyal fans!  I’m happy to be giving you a story with him in it (and Pippin, of course).  :)

jodancingtree:  What are we to do with Sam?  Always thinking from his heart (bless him!).

Laughing_Half-Elf:  I never dreamed I could write about Elves in a believable way.  As long as there are hobbits about to keep me grounded, it’s a bit easier.  :)

Leah Beth:  I hated being away from Frodo and Merry for a whole chapter!  And I do believe that it’s Sam’s “nature” to look after and protect Frodo.  In The Two Towers, he realizes that, “He knew now where his place was and had been: at his master’s side, though what he could do there was not clear.”

Little Mouse:  I believe that Elladan and Elrohir are bonded strongly -- another example of “mind to mind” communication in this fic.

Lossenchristal:  That Sam is a clever one.  I like how Prof. Tolkien described Sam’s “slow but shrewd mind”.

MagicalRachel:  This story is taking twists and turns I hadn’t even planned, Rachel!  I’m still not sure how that happens.

Marcee:  Yes, we’re finally getting back to your beloved Merry -- sorry to have kept you in suspense for so long.

Meldewen Ilce:  Saruman probably can’t conceive of the concept that people will rush into danger to save the ones they love.  Silly ex-wizard.

Melylott S. Banks:  I couldn’t wait to “get back to Frodo” either!

Pearl Took:  I thoroughly enjoyed writing the Pippin-Celeborn scene.  They’re so different from one another, and yet are able to find common ground.

Periantari:  I have to keep feeding your chapter hunger!  *types away busily*

Pip4:  Hobbit angst/comfort is just about my favorite type of story!  Especially the ‘comfort’ part.

Pippinfan1988:  I really have no idea if I’m writing the Elves well or not, but I do think that constant exposure to hobbits (especially Pippin) would soften up even the noble Lord Celeborn.

pipwise brandygin:  I’m glad you’re enjoying the “Pippin parts”!

rabidsamfan:  I doubt there’s a leash in Middle-earth that would hold Sam, if Frodo was in danger.

Samwise The Strong:  Merry and I both appreciate all the love!

SapphireMeriadocTook:  Yeep!  And yes, leave it to Pippin to break down all communication barriers between Elf and hobbit.

Tathar:  Hello, my dear muse!  I’m so happy you’re enjoying the story.  And (of course) I completely share your view of Frodo -- he is strong, courageous, and amazing, and Bilbo and Gandalf knew it all along.

The Lady Shieldmaiden:  Oh, your poor nails!  I’ll try to get things calmed down a bit.

Willow:  Pippin and Celeborn are cute together, aren’t they?  I’ll try to write them another scene before the end of the story.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List