Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mind to Mind  by shirebound

Be at peace, everyone!  I promise that no one will die, and that all will be well by the end of the story.  (I would never kill one of our beloved characters.)

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

“It is not my part to choose for you; but I will help you as I may.”  Celeborn, The Fellowship of the Ring, ‘Farewell to Lórien’

MIND TO MIND

Chapter 3 --- Unexpected Meetings

September 7


“Samwise, wait.”

The Lady’s soft voice had been the only thing that kept Sam from instantly dashing out into the storm, without cloak or supplies, to find his master and discover what had happened.  In a private tent, Elrond was speaking softly with Elrohir while Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, and a restless Sam waited nearby, sheltered from the rain under one of the large, open pavilions.  After a few minutes, Elrond and his son emerged and joined them, Elrohir looking pale and drawn.

“Sir,” Sam blurted out to Elrond, unable to wait another moment, “when are we goin’ after them?”

“Now, Samwise,” Elrond said.  “Elrohir believes that Elladan has been gravely injured, but can sense only that he is trapped in darkness.”  He glanced at Gandalf and Galadriel, and they shook their heads.

“We can sense nothing of Frodo,” Gandalf answered the unspoken question.  “He is either unconscious or…” he looked grim.

“You can all sense him?” Sam asked, puzzled.  “Anywhere?”

“Sam,” Gandalf said, crouching down to address the gardener, “Frodo’s long burden has linked him to us, in a manner of speaking.  When he was nearly caught by Sauron’s probing Eye, at Amon Hen, I was able to “speak” with him and urge him to remove the Ring from his finger.  He did so, of his own free will.  He knew not that it was my voice, as you all believed me dead, but distance matters not.  If he was conscious, I would be able to sense him, and perhaps send him a message.”

“Or receive one,” Galadriel added thoughtfully.  “Gandalf, Frodo must know that this is possible, as well -- however untrained or unskilled he may be.  He will contact us if he is able to do so.”

Sam understood only enough of this to know that there was no time to waste.  “He’s hurt then, is that it?  What are we waitin’ for?”

“Nothing,” Elrohir replied.  “Elladan said they were heading to the foot of the mountain to search for caves, and we will search there for them.”  He gazed eastwards, then turned to Elrond.  “Father, we must go.  Now.”

“We will,” Elrond said.  “Although I doubt any tracks will have survived this downpour, you and I will go on foot so as not to miss anything.  Sam can---”

“Sam can come with you,” Sam declared, crossing his arms in front of himself, “and don’t you be thinkin’ one minute about leavin’ me behind.  I haven’t come this far with Mr. Frodo to stay back here when he’s in trouble.”

“I would not even consider it,” Elrond smiled at him.  “I was about to suggest that you ride your pony, as our pace will be swift.  We will also lead several horses with us in case there are injured ones to bring back and tend.”

“Sam and I will gather supplies, and quickly,” Elrohir said.  “We should bring medicines, and extra food for---”

Celeborn’s sharp eyesight suddenly spied something at the very edge of camp, among the thick trees.  He broke into a run, followed by everyone else.  When Sam caught up, he stared in amazement and dismay at what Celeborn was lifting from the ground and cradling gently in his arms.  The small form was soaked, spattered with mud, and his right arm was covered in blood.

It was Pippin.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Pippin had awoken in utter darkness, confused and barely able to breathe.  There was something on top of him, all around him…  With a sudden, frantic movement that brought a sharp pain to his right arm, he broke free of the dirt, small rocks, and bits of crumbled wall that had nearly buried him, and remembered where he was.  The cave!  He blinked and looked around, but everything was dark and quiet.  “Merry!” he called out, getting shakily to his feet.  “Frodo?”  The only light he could see, the embers from their dying fire, helped to orient him, and he stumbled towards it.

“Pippin?”

Pippin whirled about at the faint, almost imperceptible whisper of his name.  “Elladan!” he cried.  “Where are you?”  He felt about on the ground and located a long branch, then thrust it into the glowing embers.  The dry wood blazed to life, and Pippin raised the fiery branch and looked about.  “Elladan!” He ran to the Elf, and dropped to his knees in horror at the sight of his friend.  Elladan was deathly pale, his face a mask of pain and determination.  Pippin threw the branch aside and pushed desperately at the end of the beam pinning the Elf to the ground, but it didn’t move.

“Elladan,” Pippin said quickly, “I have to find Merry and Frodo.  They can help me move this off you.”

“Pippin,” Elladan whispered, “listen to me.  You must run back to camp and get help.”  His words were halting, his breathing erratic.  “You must tell everyone… Saruman is here.  He took… he took Frodo… Merry…”

“What?” Pippin gasped in amazement.  “Where did he take them?  Were they hurt?”

“I do not know,” the Elf replied.  “I believe I heard Merry’s voice, and someone else… I do not… I am sorry, Pippin.  You must get help, you must…” He struggled to speak.  “So dark… I am… I am fighting… I do not know how much longer I can…”

“Hang on, Elladan, I’ll be right back,” Pippin said suddenly.  He caught up the burning branch once again and stood up, picking his way through the rocks and statuary that lay tumbled in his path.  Scrambling with difficulty up and under piles of fallen debris, he squirmed through a small hole and tumbled down at last into the cave’s entrance.  Kneeling at the pile of outerwear and weapons that still lay in a heap, he grabbed all the clothing, and one of the water bottles, and stood up.

“Oh,” he whispered, suddenly dizzy.  He took deep breaths and retraced his steps back to where Elladan lay.

“This should help keep you warm,” Pippin said reassuringly, covering every part of the Elf he could reach with the driest cloaks and jackets.  “And take this,” he added, pulling something out of Frodo’s jacket pocket.  “It’s got a star in it, you know.  This should help, Elladan.  You must hold on until I bring back help.”  So saying, he thrust the phial into the Elf’s hand, and a light blossomed and grew, suddenly blazing forth.  Elladan grasped the star-glass as tightly as he could, feeling some warmth and energy returning to him as the last remnants of Saruman’s spell dissolved.

“Pippin!” Elladan gasped suddenly.  “Your arm…”

Pippin looked down at his right arm, illuminated in the radiance of the phial, only then noticing the blood.  When the last, powerful bolt of lightning had struck, he had been standing next to one of the heavy Dwarvish lanterns.  A rock had shattered it, and he had been thrown on top of the thick, jagged pieces of broken glass.  One of them had sliced into his arm, and he was bleeding heavily.

“Bind it,” Elladan whispered, “quickly.  It looks…”

“I will,” Pippin said.  “Don’t talk, Elladan.”  He tilted a water bottle to the Elf’s lips and urged him to drink, then set the bottle next to Elladan’s hand.  “Hold on,” he repeated.  He quickly threw every stick and branch he could find onto the dying fire before taking up one of the cloaks and wrapping it around his arm.  Wincing as the pain began to penetrate and throb, Pippin made his way back to the cave’s entrance.  With one look behind, nearly overcome with fear for Merry and Frodo, he stumbled down the rain-slicked path, back towards camp.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Celeborn quickly bore Pippin into the nearest tent and lay the hobbit on one of the beds.  Elrond called out for warmed water, and directed others to bring bandages from the camp’s store of medicines.  He quickly lay several blankets over Pippin, who was very pale and shivering violently, then tore away what was left of the hobbit’s right shirtsleeve so he could examine the small arm.

“Listen,” Pippin whispered, his voice faint, “you must…”

Gandalf sat on the bed, and reached under the blankets to take Pippin’s cold left hand in his large, warm ones.  “Pippin,” he said gently, “tell us what happened.”

“Saruman,” Pippin whispered.  He heard gasps and low murmurs from the others, but Gandalf nodded for him to continue.  “We found a cave, and lightning struck it, I think.”  Pippin winced as Elrond closed his fingers around the upper part of his injured arm, trying to stop the flow of blood.  “I… I woke up, and Elladan was trapped under something heavy.”

Elrohir started to speak, but Galadriel motioned him to stay silent and let Pippin continue.

“I couldn’t free him, Gandalf.”  Pippin’s voice started to shake.  “I did what I could, but he said to get help.  He said Saruman had taken Merry and Frodo somewhere.  He said…” The dizziness intensifying, Pippin felt an overwhelming urge to sleep.  “I lost Merry’s cloak in the forest… it must have fallen.  I ran as fast… as fast as I… but I got so dizzy.  Gandalf, save… save them…”

“We will,” Gandalf assured him.

“Mr. Frodo and Mr. Merry,” Sam said anxiously.  “Are they hurt?”

“Elladan heard Merry, but he didn’t know…” Pippin struggled to stay awake.  “So cold…”

“We’ll find them,” Gandalf assured him.  “And you, Peregrin,” he said sternly, trying to keep the youngster focused, “dashing back here in the rain without your jacket?  What would your parents say?”

Pippin smiled, knowing that Gandalf wasn’t truly angry with him.  The wizard’s blurred face slowly spun and faded as his tenacious grasp on consciousness dissolved at last.  Pippin’s eyes fluttered closed and he slid into darkness.

Elrond touched a finger to the pulse at Pippin’s throat, and frowned.  “This injury must be cleaned at once, and sutured,” he said firmly.  “Something has sliced deeply into Pippin’s arm, causing him to lose a great deal of blood.  Once the immediate danger has passed, he must be watched and kept warm, then given potent teas and nourishment to aid him in regaining his strength.”  He looked grimly at Gandalf.  “I do not wish to delay our leaving, but if Pippin is not tended immediately, he may die.”

“Die?” Sam whispered.

“We will work quickly, Sam,” Elrond reassured the hobbit. 

“But sir, there’s no time to waste!” Sam cried out in anguish, caught between his need to rush to Frodo’s side and Pippin’s need for urgent care.  “We just can’t leave Mr. Frodo and Mr. Merry in that villain’s clutches!  They could be hurt!”

“He is correct, Father,” Elrohir said urgently, “you heard what Pippin said about Elladan.  We must not delay.”

“Go, then, without me,” Elrond decided.  “Pippin needs---”

“I will see to his injury,” Celeborn said suddenly, stepping forward.  “If Saruman has captured the Ring-bearer…” He looked from Galadriel to Elrond to Gandalf, and nodded, as if coming to some decision.  “There is danger, and the guardians of the Three will be needed; I can feel it.  If you would take my advice, it is to take Elrohir and Samwise, and go at once.”

Elrond nodded.  Without another word, Sam dashed off to prepare his pony for travel, while the others hurried to gather what supplies they felt might be needed.  Galadriel gave her husband a quick embrace before she departed.

Celeborn bent over Pippin and lay a gentle hand on his brow.  “You showed great strength in returning to camp so badly weakened by your injury, young one,” he spoke softly to the unconscious hobbit.  “Although not such a healer as Elrond, I am not unskilled, and will tend you well.”  He smiled to himself as attendants brought water, bandages, and suturing materials.  “I would not choose to face your cousins, when they return, should you not be here to greet them.”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Frodo woke slowly, at first only aware that he felt both hot and cold, and his hands felt numb.  Forcing his eyes open, he at first beheld a fire, perhaps a dozen feet away, and a strange Man sitting near it, staring at him.  He tried to move, and was startled to realize that his hands were tied in front of him with strips of cloth.

“Frodo, are you all right?” Merry’s voice came from just above him, and Frodo realized that he was lying with his head in Merry’s lap, in some kind of cave.  With a gasp, he sat up, his head spinning.

“Easy,” Merry said quietly as Frodo slumped against him.  “Something hit you when that last bolt of lightning shook the cave.”

“What’s happened?” Frodo looked around, taking in the strange room.  It seemed large, but apart from the Man near them, there appeared to be nothing in it.  “Merry, what…” Frodo’s eyes widened as he tried to free his hands, and realized that Merry’s hands were also bound.  “Oh Merry,” he whispered, turning to face his cousin, “Did you see Pippin?  And Elladan?”

“Shhh,” Merry cautioned him, keeping his voice very low.  “Elladan was pinned under something.  Saruman left him out there.”

“Saruman?” Frodo gasped.  He turned to look at the strange Man.

“That’s not him,” Merry said.  “You heard us talk about Gríma?  Saruman and he must have been sheltering in this same cave, but here in this room, further in.  They came out to see if the storm had blocked the entrance, and found us.”

“What about Pippin?” Frodo whispered fearfully.  “He was---”

“I don’t think Saruman saw him.  Maybe Pip is all right, and will be able to go for help.”

“I hope so,” Frodo murmured fervently.  ‘I’m so cold,” he whispered.  “Dare we go closer to the fire?”

“I begged them to let us sit closer, but Saruman ordered Gríma not to let us near.  I think you’ve got a fever.”  Merry stared at Wormtongue.  “They don’t care.  I don’t know what they want with us.”

Frodo sighed.  “Elrond said last night that he thought I felt too warm.  I’ve been experiencing… strange things.”

“Getting soaked again in that puddle hasn’t helped any.”  Merry tried to press closer against his cousin.  “Listen,” he whispered.  “In case you can get free and run for it, I memorized the turns we took to get here. “

“I wouldn’t leave you, Merry, but tell me, quickly,” Frodo whispered urgently, a strange idea forming in his mind.

“The path was straight,” Merry whispered back, “then we took the first right, then left, then right again.”

“Good,” Frodo nodded.  “I can’t explain just now, but I might be able to let Gandalf know---”

“So you are awake,” came a gentle voice.

Frodo looked up, realizing that a second Man had emerged from a passageway that led deeper into the mountain.  He was very tall, his hair mostly white, and had piercing black eyes.  Saruman.  Everything Gandalf had related at the Council, and the many stories of Isengard’s fall, flashed through his mind.  Frodo took in the strange, shimmering robes, the color of which was hard to discern, and glimpsed a ring on the ex-wizard’s right hand.

“Are you in much pain, my young friend?” Saruman addressed Frodo, his voice kindly and concerned.  “You were both in great danger from further injury when we found you.”

Frodo stared at him, unmoved by his soft tones.  “I am well enough,” he said, “and we would like to leave now.”

“Would you?”  Saruman stood silently for a time, looking thoughtfully at the Halflings.  The unfamiliar one was soaked from both the rain and the puddle in which he had been thrown -- and was shaking with cold, his blue eyes wary and guarded.  The other…

“You wear the proud livery of Rohan, my valiant neighbors,” Saruman spoke to Merry.  “For them to so honor one not of their country tells me much of your valorous deeds.”  Saruman concentrated fully on the cadence of his words, watching Merry carefully to gauge their effect.  He knew that there were few, no matter their strength of will, who could withstand the spell of his voice when directed intently at them alone.  And if he could throw them off their guard…  Saruman motioned to Frodo with disdain.  “Your friend wears no such garb -- did he ride then at your coattails, and play little part in the War?”

Merry glared at the wizard.  “He is beyond all honors,” he declared, stung at such an insult to Frodo.  “He did what no one else could do, not even wizards.”

“Merry!” Frodo cried out, too late.

“Did he?” Saruman asked softly.  He turned back to Frodo and eyed him closely, his gaze resting at last on the hobbit’s right hand -- and its missing finger.

** TBC **

Chapter 4 will focus more on Frodo and Merry, as Saruman reveals his plan -- and how he expects to achieve it.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Ainu Laire:  Ah, you discovered the trick to get ff.net reviews to paragraph!  You’re ever so clever; I use the same trick to get the occasional double-paragraph spacing in my fics.

angelsflame265:  The hobbits love how much you’re worried about them, angel!

Anso the Hobbit:  I hope you’re very proud of your Pippin.

aprilkat:  Thank you so much.  I hope everything continues to come across as believable and interesting!

Ariel:  I do tend to bury hobbits in snow and other things, don’t I?  This isn’t such a definitive “avalanche”, but the effects of it will be quite perilous.

AshNight2:  Don’t worry -- our Elladan is a fighter!

bast4:  So many questions!  Love it!  All will be revealed…

Bookworm2000:  Oh my, you certainly pick great background music for your fic reading!

Budgielover:  The part of the story I consider to be AU is the meeting with Saruman.  But I’m gratified to hear that you feel the rest “could have happened”!

Camellia Gamgee-Took:  All the enthusiasm is really inspiring me.  Thank you!

Carcilwen Greenleaf:  Poor shivering Frodo rips me to shreds, too!  I must work on getting him warm and cared for… just not quite yet…

Connie:  Oh Connie, you should pursue all your wonderful ideas!  Pippin did show his special “senses” on at least one occasion, and those are exactly the tiny, overlooked moments in LOTR that I enjoy digging up and thinking/writing about.

Elven Kitten:  You and GTA Otaku are both hissing at Saruman!  I’ve never seen him look so nervous.

Elwen:  What is it about unconscious Frodo that we love so much?  I’ve never been able to quite figure it out…  :)  Thank you for worrying about me, Elwen -- someone should, I think!

endymion2:  That is quite a crowded cave, isn’t it?  Who’d have thought?

fadagaski:  This story did tend to jump right into the action, didn’t it?  Wow, you bring up an interesting point about Elrond and Elros.  Elrond’s grief must have been unimaginable.

Firnsarnien:  Aha, so your weakness is ElfAngst!  But please don’t worry -- I would never, ever, write a story where someone dies.  I love these characters far too much to kill any of them.

fliewatuet:  I’m fascinated with exploring Saruman’s motives and powers (or whatever’s left of them).  There’s a description of Saruman’s voice from The Two Towers that says, “Suddenly another voice spoke, low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment.”  Very interesting…

GamgeeFest:  That cave really wasn’t the best place to go, was it?

Gayalondiel:  Thank you so much for the encouragement.  This is such a different type of story for me to write!

Grav:  I like putting “unlikely” people together, like Pippin and Elladan in this chapter.  I’ll take good care of them, I promise.

GTA Otaku:  With you and Elven Kitten hissing at the villain, I expect to see him twirling his moustaches and tying Frodo to a train track.  (Wouldn’t that be the AU to end all AU’s)  And I think you’ll be very proud of Pippin in this story!

girlofring:  I’m writing as fast as I can, and hurrying to get everyone rescued from their peril!

Hai Took:  That Saruman is rude, isn’t he?  Imagine capturing our wonderful hobbitses and leaving poor Elladan helpless.  Hmmmph.

hobbitfeet13:  Your review is “right on” -- in fact, you’ve caught on to the very core idea of this story.  Go you!

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  I always thought it a shame that we never got to see that phial again once the hobbits started for home.  It’s a very useful little thing!

hyperactive forever:  You wanted to see someone save the day -- how about your Pippin?

Ianar:  I’m so glad to have helped with your own story ideas.  I think you’ll be very proud of Pippin here, and please know that I would never kill anyone.  “Oh, I wouldn’t want to be Saruman when Sam finds out what’s happened…”  Hee hee.  I agree with you.

Iorhael:  Elladan won’t die, I promise!  I would never kill anyone.

jodancingtree:  Thanks, Jo!  I hope I can maintain the drama.

Lady of the North:  I promise that I always update as soon as a chapter is ready; thank you for being so enthusiastic!

Laughing Half Elf:  See?  I made sure Pip got safely “home”!  Now for the others…

Leah Beth:  Oh gosh, thank you so much!  Things might get a bit more perilous than my usual tale, but you can trust me, Leah!  All will be well in the end.

Lossenchristal:  (hands you a fresh container of popcorn)  One of my co-workers is a twin, and she says she can sense things about her sister.  I would think that, with sensitive Elves, the feelings would be rather intense.

MagicalRachel:  Hang on, Rachel!  You know I’ll eventually bring everyone (and you) out of the ‘hurt’ and into the ‘comfort’!

Mariole:  Yes, this is a story just bursting with characters who, to different degrees, can speak or feel “mind to mind”.  So happy you’re enjoying it!

Meethrill:  I’m glad you like ‘my’ Elves and evil ex-wizards, Meethrill.  I’ll try to keep the standard high.

Meldewen Ilce:  Help is coming, Amy!

Mish:  Oh Mish, I would never kill anyone!  And Saruman’s plans for Frodo will be revealed in Chapter 4.  Try to hang on until then!

Naiade:  I hope you continue to enjoy the adventure, Naiade!  This tale is a real challenge, but fun.

Pearl Took:  You’re so perceptive, Pearl.  There’s a lot to explore in this story, including how Elrohir, Pippin, and Sam react to being separated (even briefly) from their “other half”.

Periantari:  So glad you’re enjoying this!  To answer your questions, Sam and Elrohir were off in another direction (and much closer to camp), gathering herbs and plants.  And Gandalf (who is a very wise wizard) never left camp at all, and stayed warm and dry.

Pippinfan1988:  Ah, Saruman’s reasons will be revealed very soon.  They make sense… to him.  I’m honored that you picture me scribbling away in my own Red Book!

pipwise brandygin:  I agree, Saruman could have made a lot more mischief, given the chance.  I hope you feel somewhat relieved that Pippin is already in good hands!

rabidsamfan:  Yikes!  There is a lot of peril already, isn’t there?

Rebecca:  I’m so happy you let me know you’re enjoying my stories, Rebecca; and what a wonderful review!

Willow:  Thank you!  And now Pip is unaccounted for no longer, the little hero!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List