Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Mind to Mind  by shirebound

I’m so grateful to you folks!  Starting a new story is always rather nerve-wracking for me, and I can’t thank you enough for all the encouragement.

Responses to reviews are located at the end of the chapter.

DISCLAIMER:  Of course. The characters don’t belong to me, I just get to think about them day and night.

___________________________

“This snake had still one tooth left, I think.  He had the poison of his voice.”  Gandalf, The Return of the King, ‘Many Partings’

MIND TO MIND

Chapter 2 --- Stormclouds

September 7


It had taken less than an hour’s walk through the forest east of the camp to bring Elladan, Frodo, Merry, and Pippin to the base of Celebdil.  There, through the thinning trees, the mountain loomed above them, and it was Frodo who first spied the series of four caves in the side of the mountain, spaced at intervals perhaps 500 feet above them.

Without warning, the clear morning calm was broken as thunder began to be heard in the distance, and massive clouds had closed in so suddenly that even Elladan was taken by surprise by the swiftness of the storm.  The skies opened up and a hard rain began to fall.  The caves offered the best chance of shelter, and without a word, the hobbits began to climb as quickly as possible up the faint path, Elladan staying close behind them.

Elrond stood quietly under the large pavilion, staring out into the rain coming down in unending sheets.

“What troubles you?” Galadriel asked softly, coming to his side.  “Do you sense danger?”

“I sense something,” Elrond replied, “but I do not know what it is.  I wish Frodo had not gone with them.”

“Why?”

“I am concerned about what he experienced last night,” the Elf Lord explained.  “If Frodo’s slight fever remains, or returns, he may not fare well in such weather.”

“Elladan will look after them,” Gandalf said, joining them.  “However, you know as well as I that the hobbits need protection no longer, Elrond.  They have grown.  All of them.”

“I know,” Elrond said, but his smile did not reach his eyes.  “Still, I will rest better when they have returned.”

The hobbits and Elladan dashed inside one of the caves, nearly blown into it by the wind and cold, pounding rain.  Shaking the water from their hair, the hobbits threw off their sodden cloaks and jackets near the entrance, and Merry and Pippin unbuckled their belts and lay their swords on the ground.  Elladan unslung his bow and quiver, and lay them and his long knife aside as well.

The sky had darkened as if night had fallen, and even Elladan’s eyes could see very little in the gloom of the cave.  “We need light.  Let us see if we can---”

“Light?”  With a smile, Frodo knelt at the pile of outerwear and weapons, then drew out something from his jacket pocket and held it high.  Elladan, Merry, and Pippin gaped in wonder as a gentle radiance grew, and multiplied, until Frodo seemed the center of a star drawn to earth.

“So that’s what that looks like,” Merry grinned.  “A light to you when all other lights go out, indeed.”

“Astounding,” Elladan murmured.  “A gift well bestowed.”  He frowned, noticing that the small hand holding the phial was shaking.  Frodo was beginning to shiver with cold.

“We need a fire,” Pippin said suddenly, observing the same thing.  “Let’s go a bit farther in, away from this wind.”

In the faint light from the entrance, and the greater radiance cast by the phial, all four observed their surroundings as they gathered materials to use for a fire.  What had once been an ornately carved and decorated cavern had succumbed to the ravages of time, or something else.

“What a mess,” Merry said in disgust.

“You are correct,” Elladan agreed, dragging a large branch into a dry area near a grouping of massive stone carvings.  “Something has happened here to bring down many of the pillars and beams.”

“Orcs?” Pippin asked.

“Perhaps,” Elladan said, looking about.  Some of the many carvings adorning the cave lay haphazardly on the ground, as did a great deal of debris.  Water had pooled in many areas, and the hobbits had to step carefully to avoid them.  Thunder crashed louder, and lightning lit up the entrance to the cave.  The ground under their feet shook suddenly, and a small pot near Pippin’s feet shuddered and fell over.

“Not just Orcs,” Frodo observed, “but storms as well.  Feel how everything shakes when the lightning strikes out there.”

“Come get warm,” Elladan called out as he kindled a small blaze.  Frodo sighed with relief.  He went to the pile of clothing and returned the phial to the pocket of his jacket, then hurried to warm himself at the fire.

“I don’t think these are natural caves,” Merry said suddenly.  He was examining the walls, which were smooth and showed signs of craft.  “The Dwarves must have dug these.  Perhaps these caves provided ventilation for the city far below the mountain.”  He walked deeper into the cavern, trying to peer into the gloom of the long dark before them. 

“Moria,” Frodo sighed.  He stepped away from the fire to run a hand along the smooth wall.  “I hoped never to be anywhere near it again.”

Pippin went to inspect a large, Dwarvish lantern, leaning against a wall and too heavy for him to lift.  “I need a hand with this,” he said, then looked about, frowning.  “Now, where has Merry got to?”

“I’ll get him,” Frodo said, making his way carefully to where he had last seen Merry.  “Pip, how much food do you have in your---”

The entrance was suddenly illuminated with a blinding light, followed by an explosion of sound.  Within seconds, there was another searing flash of light, and a blast shook the cave and knocked Frodo onto his hands and knees into a shallow pool of water.  A part of the wall near him abruptly gave way, showering him with small rocks, and a great wooden cask near him crashed to the ground and shattered -- a second teetered, and threatened to fall at any moment.  He heard Merry calling his name, but before he could respond, a third bolt of lightning hit, this time directly above the cave.  Frodo had one brief, horrified sight of Pippin being buried beneath a shower of debris before swirling dust obscured his vision.  The cavern continued to shudder and shake, then there was a sudden, loud crack and a cry of pain from Elladan.  Before Frodo could get to his feet, something hit him from behind, and he knew no more.

A tall figure bearing a lit torch emerged from the depths of the cave, and surveyed the damage.

“The entrance is nearly blocked,” he said, “but there is still a passage through to the outside.  We will leave here when the weather clears.  We were most fortunate, Worm, that the entire cave didn’t---”

“Master!”  A second figure approached, holding something in his arms.

“Ah,” the tall one murmured, passing his torch close to the small face.  “And what are you doing here, Halfling?”

“Saruman!” Merry gasped.  Dizzy, and his ears still ringing from the explosive sounds, he struggled to free himself from the arms that held him in a remorseless grip.  “Let me go!”

“I remember you,” Saruman murmured.  “You were one of the Halflings who…”  His dark eyes suddenly burned with malice.  “Worm!  Bind him!”  His servant threw the dazed Merry to the ground, then tore a strip from his filthy robe and bound the hobbit’s hands in front of him.  Saruman turned in a slow circle, looking more closely at the piles of rock and debris that now littered the floor of the cave.  He strode over to a nearby wall, and discovered a small body on the ground.  From the trail of water and dirt, he surmised that the Halfling had been in the process of dragging this one away from the puddle in which he lay when Wormtongue had grabbed him.

“Another one,” he murmured, examining the unconscious hobbit’s pale face and dark hair. “He is not familiar to me.  Our luck has changed, Worm.”  He turned to his servant and motioned to the still form at his feet.  “He lives.  Bind him as well.  There is much to be learned from them.”  As Wormtongue moved to obey, Saruman looked around and smiled slowly.  “And what have we here?”  Nearby, he could see that an Elf lay by the remains of a small fire.  A heavy beam had fallen, and its end lay across his chest, pinning him beneath it.

Wormtongue threw Frodo down next to Merry, then came to Saruman’s side.  His master motioned to the hobbits.

“Take them, that one first.”  Saruman pointed to Merry, who was frantically trying to see if Frodo was badly injured.  “Be sure to secure them so they cannot escape.  I will join you shortly.”

“What of the Elf?”

“I have no interest in an Elf.”  Saruman walked over to where Elladan lay, semi-conscious, and crouched down to gaze dispassionately at him.  “Besides,” he said softly, “he is dying, is he not?  Yes, I believe he is.”  He smiled as Elladan’s eyes fluttered open and beheld him, and he stared deeply into the Elf’s eyes.  “It grows dark and cold.  Let the darkness take you, Elf.  Even now, you can feel your heart faltering, slowing, each breath an effort…”

*~*~*~*~*~*

Sam and Elrohir had dashed back to camp just as the storm broke, their arms and packs full of plants that they had spent the morning gathering.   They laughed and talked as they worked together (while keeping worried eyes on the continuing rain), arranging leaves and roots on the drying rack they had assembled.

“I am glad we discovered this,” Elrohir said, picking up a few precious leaves of athelas.  “Or rather I should say, I am glad you discovered this.”

“I remember when Strider told us he had found some by the smell,” Sam said, “and that’s a good way to locate it.  I won’t never forget the smell of this, not ever.”  He looked thoughtful.  “But I thought this only worked if Strider used it.”

Elrohir smiled down at the gardener.  “It is a plant, Sam, and retains its virtues even in unskilled hands.  However, the hidden properties of any healing plant are enhanced by the skill of the healer wielding it -- and Aragorn has certain ‘ hidden properties’ of his own, does he not?”

“He surely does,” Sam grinned.  He reverently tied the small bunch of the long leaves to the rack, then looked up in alarm as Elrohir suddenly gasped, his hand tightening on the hobbit’s shoulder.

“What is it?”

“I… I can’t…” Elrohir clutched his chest, his face contorted in pain, then dropped to his knees.

“Lord Elrond!  Gandalf!”  Sam cried out to the Elf Lord and wizard, talking some distance away, and they hurried over.

“Elrohir,” Elrond said urgently, kneeling and putting his arms around his son, “what has happened?”

“It’s Elladan,” Elrohir murmured, his eyes unfocused.  He looked around, trying to discern the source of his unease.  “Elladan…”

From the stranger’s appearance, and the first sound of his voice, Elladan knew that the person bending over him could only be Curunír, or Saruman, as he was also known.  From the many tales Pippin and Merry had related on their journey north, he had heard in full of the drowning of Isengard, and the effects of Saruman’s voice on the unwary.  Nearly too late, he braced himself mentally as he felt, more than heard, the honeyed words begin to weave sinuously through his mind, binding him as if in heavy ropes, trying to drag him into darkness.  The voice carried such reason, such gentle logic, urging him to let go, allow his painful breaths to slow… cease… it would be so easy…  Desperately he resisted, but it was growing more and more difficult to fight for light… for breath…

The ex-wizard spoke on, his steady, relentless spell washing over the Elf who struggled to stay conscious.  Saruman watched with satisfaction as the anguished face grew paler, the labored breaths more shallow.  Death will soon take this one, he thought to himself.  That fool Gandalf believes me powerless, but he is not the first to underestimate me.  Raising his torch high, Saruman rose to his feet.  He took one last look around, but could see no one else.  Wormtongue had returned from where he had taken Merry, and was now hefting the unconscious Halfling over his shoulder.

“These Halflings may hold the key to a new Age,” Saruman said to him.  The Age of Saruman, he savored silently.

“These three may not be alone,” Wormtongue said nervously.  “What if their friends come looking for them?”

Saruman smiled.  “The rain has washed away any tracks.  I will have all the time I need.”

“To do what, master?”

“You forget your place, Worm,” Saruman said sharply.  “When I wish you to know something, I will tell you.”  With that, he motioned his servant back through the nearly-hidden passage through which they had arrived, and they disappeared into the depths of the cavern.

** TBC **

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Agent Pip:  Of course I’ll write more.  I want to see what happens next, too!

Aiko-chan:  Believe me, it took me nearly two years of happy hobbit writing to feel even remotely comfortable including Elves in my stories.  I find them difficult, as well -- but we learn as we go!  And gosh -- you didn’t have long to wait for the “hobbit peril”, did you?

Ainu Laire:  Believe me, I miss Aragorn as well, after writing so many stories in a row about him and Frodo!  I couldn’t think of a way to get him into this story, though, since he’s off being king and all.  (And thank you for telling me about the typo!)

Althea:  I’m so glad that you feel my characters are “in character”.  I try to write them all as individuals, and I do try to keep a balance of “light and dark” -- unquenchable hobbity resilience is never far beneath the surface.

Ami:  Thank you for your lovely words.  I think “warm and fuzzy and anxious” is a great description of Chapter 1!

Anita H:  Thanks, Anita!  I’ll try not to disappoint.

Anso the Hobbit:  I see Frodo’s new “ability” as fully within the possibility of canon.  In FOTR (“The Mirror of Galadriel”), Galadriel says to Frodo, “…your sight is grown keener.  You have perceived my thought more clearly than many that are accounted wise.”

Aratlithiel1:  If I wonder too hard about where the ideas are coming from, I’m afraid I might scare them off!

Arwen Baggins:  I’m fascinated by the line in FOTR (“The Mirror of Galadriel”) where Galadriel says to Frodo, “You have perceived my thought more clearly than many that are accounted wise.”  I love exploring little details like that!  And as you can see, I’m using your suggestion to give chapter titles in the opening book quotes.  Thank you for that great idea.

AshNight2:  Thank you for saying that this is “a great idea”, because I’m very nervous about this story.  I appreciate the vote of confidence.

BekaJWP:  Thanks, Beka.  I love playing around with strange ideas like this.

Bookworm2000:  Glad you’re enjoying this so far!

Cantora:  I’m with you, it’s been a very busy time recently.  (And many thanks for pointing out the typo -- please don’t be shy about doing that.)

Carcilwen Greenleaf:  Thank you so much.  I hope to make this an interesting tale.

ClaudiaofBree:  I’m excited that you’re excited, Claudia!  Oh how I love the way you worded that -- “Frodo in the hands of the unscrupulous”… Indeed!

cpsings4him:  Thank you so much.

Elendiari22:  I could just hear the Taco Bell chihuahua saying, “How cool is this?”  Is this really cool?  Wowee!

Elentari:  I definitely enjoy showing the spirit that brought Frodo to Bilbo’s attention in the first place, the determination and courage that made him a formidable Ringbearer, and the innate hobbityness and vulnerability that is so endearing to all of them.

elentari*angel:  Frodo loved your hug!  He’s going to need it…

Elizabeth 16:  Thank you so much for letting me know you’re enjoying this so far.

Elven Kitten:  I really appreciate all the enthusiasm, E.V.

Elwen:  Only a true FrodoHealer would have squee-ed over Elrond carrying Frodo!

esamen:  I feel like I’m traveling new ground here, too.  Thank you for the lovely words.

fadagaski:  Thank you for loving ‘my’ hobbits!  I’m absolutely captivated by them.  “I always thought of Wormtongue as a new Gollum, to a certain extent.” -- I feel the same!  He loved and hated Saruman much as Gollum loved and hated the Ring.

Firnsarnien:  There’s no Legolas -- forgive me!  Hopefully I can distract you with FroAngst and other Elvish folk.

Frodolover:  I’ve been wanting to write this story for nearly a year, and I’m happy to finally be sinking my teeth into it.  I’m so glad you’re enjoying it already.

GamgeeFest:  I’m constantly astonished by all the different ways the blank spaces in LOTR can be filled in by fanfic writers.  What a joy!  And I’m glad you enjoyed “Havoc in Hollin”; that was such fun for all of us.

Gayalondiel:  Glad you like this so far.  I’ve never met a LOTR detail I didn’t think could be expanded into… something.

Gentle Hobbit:  I do love weaving canon threads into my stories, or using them as a foundation.

girlofring:  Frodo’s endurance and resilience are inspiring to me, and I love writing about them.

Grav:  A new story for you!  (And I didn’t make you wait too long for Saruman to show up.)

GTA Otaku:  I think the whole idea of “inner communication” to be a fascinating one, and I look forward to exploring it within this AU setting.

hobbitfeet13:  You’re absolutely correct -- I suspect that this will be one of my darker stories; but hobbity resilience and supportive friends should bring everything to a “lighter” conclusion.  And I’m sure I’ll be writing something about Faramir, sometime in the future!

Hobbit Lily Baggins:  Finally it’s here!  I look forward to exploring the power of rings in this story.

hyperactive forever:  I can’t promise that the fic will go “ever on and on,” but we’ve got some distance to go yet!

Iorhael:  Thank you for reading, Iorhael!

Jenni:  Thanks, Jenni!  I got Chapter 2 written as fast as I could.

jodancingtree:  Gripping?  Wow!  Thanks, Jo.

Kit5:  I may “grow up” with a story here or there, but there will always be teasing hobbits and fluffy puppies just waiting in the wings, ready to pounce.

Lady of the North:  Wow, you give me such hope that this will be a good story!  I’m inspired!

Laughing Half-elf:  Just last week, I recommended your story “The Mischief Makers” to a friend -- so I was thinking about you!  Glad you’re enjoying this one, my friend.  I’ll try to get Pippin out of any peril I get him into.

Leah Beth:  I’m so happy to still be thinking of original ideas!  I think the Professor’s tale will be inspiring us for years to come.

LilyBaggins:  You’re so encouraging, Lily.  I think I know where this story is going, but I’m sure it will have its own ideas (as usual).  I already want to give Frodo a puppy to cuddle, and I’ll probably need one myself before long.  Saruman.  (shudder)

Lindelea:  Thanks for giving my AU a try, Lindelea, especially given your limited free time to read fics!  I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Little Mouse:  I’m sorry that there won’t be any Legolas in this story, but there are other Elves to enjoy!

Lossenchristal:  Oh wow, I don’t think I ever made anyone sit back and reach for the popcorn before!

lovethosehobbits:  Thanks, tree!  I’m very encouraged!

MagicalRachel:  I’m so glad you enjoyed the Pippin anecdote!  I actually wrote that scene independently, and never dreamed it would end up in this story.

mali2:  Thanks, Mali!  My stories take directions that take me by surprise, as well.

Marigold:  I hoped you’d love that “Pip moment”, Marigold!

Meldewen Ilce:  Thanks so much for your continuing enthusiasm, Amy.

Mish:  I’m continually amazed at the infinite wealth of ideas Prof. Tolkien’s masterpiece inspires.  It’s an honor to be even a tiny part of his world.

Pearl Took:  The seemingly infinite capabilities of hobbits certainly do inspire many of our stories!

Pippinfan1988:  Thanks for adding me to your “alerts” -- that’s such an honor.  Hope you continue to enjoy the tale.

rabidsamfan:  Saruman is trouble, and I’ve wanted to explore his character for awhile now.

Rachel Denise Martin:  Thanks, Rachel!

Rowan:  I’m honored that this AU has hooked you, Rowan.

Sandy K:  Thanks, Sandy.  (And I’m waiting for your next chapter too, you know!)

Shire hobbit:  Yes, getting mental “images” gives Frodo headaches.  (He is sweet!  That’s why I always make sure everything’s all better by the end of every story.)

Tom Fairbairn:  Thank you for your kind words; I’ll try to keep this AU based enough in canon to satisfy.  (And there is a kernal of truth in Pippin’s “winning the war”, isn’t there?  I actually explored this subject more seriously in my short fic “A Matter of Time”.)

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List