Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flames  by Lindelea

 

Ferdi was surprised, when he reached his father's place by the hearth, to find an old auntie already feeding Ferdinand. On seeing Ferdi enter, she looked up with a smile. 'You're to take late supper in the great room this night,' she informed him.

He stopped short, looking from his father to the old auntie, whose name he'd forgotten. 'Did you mean me?' he asked. Nobody in the Smials talked to him, save his father, whose infirmities caused folk to make allowances, and Old Tom (when he "forgot"). O, and Mistress Eglantine, who had no fear of the Thain, would occasionally address a word or two to him, as well. No one else even looked at him; he was invisible, for all practical purposes. Yet this old auntie was looking him straight in the eye.

'Well I wasn't talking to myself, lad,' she said, exchanging a smile with old Ferdinand.

'Go on, Son, I'm being well looked after this night,' Ferdinand said. 'Tansy and I are catching up on all the gossip. You go eat in the great room, and I will see you later. After supper, perhaps, or on the morrow if need be.' He chuckled. 'As a matter of fact, we had better make it tomorrow; you might be a bit busy this evening, and I plan to go early to bed.'

'Yes, Sir,' Ferdi said, wondering, but Auntie Tansy lifted a spoonful of stew in dismissal, and his father jerked his chin in a nod. Ferdi added, 'I will be back later.'

'On the morrow,' Ferdinand said firmly.

'Tomorrow, then,' Ferdi replied obediently.

His father, gloomy old Ferdinand, actually winked at him. 'Goodnight, then, Son,' he said. 'Now you had better go before late supper is over and done with. Wouldn't want you to miss your evening meal, or anything.'

'Yes, Sir,' Ferdi repeated, and nodding to his father and then Auntie Tansy, who for a wonder nodded back at him, he took himself off.

Late supper was well under way when he reached the great room, but instead of the usual chatter, gossip, and laughter, silence reigned. Ferdi saw the reason when he looked to the head table; the heavy ring that was seal and signet of the Thain rested on the plate set at Paladin's place. Paladin must have died shortly after Ferdi had seen him.

Ferdi accepted the plate that was laid before him and applied himself to his meal, eyes down from long practice of not meeting the gazes of his tablemates. It made it easier that way, less of a temptation for someone to talk to him, getting them both in trouble for violating the terms of the shunning imposed by Thain Paladin. The only sound in the room was the clinking of cutlery.

Ferdi kept his eyes down as a chair scraped at the head table, but he jerked his head up as he heard Reginard announce his name. 'Ferdibrand Took, stand forth.' He looked to see Regi, standing at his place at the head table, evidently having just finished his own meal. Locking gazes with Ferdi, Regi nodded his head. Yes, he was to come and stand before the roomful of Tooks.

The sentence of shunning had been originally passed by word of mouth, from one Took to the next, without any formal announcement made. Reginard had given the lifting of the ban some thought, and decided the proper approach was a formal announcement, made when as many Tooks were gathered together as possible. Late supper, when more than usual would attend to gossip about the Thain's taking to his bed, seemed the ideal time. He hadn't thought how it might feel to Ferdi to be put on the spot, after so long a time spent in solitude; at Ferdi's look of apprehension, he nodded encouragingly.

Ferdi walked slowly to the front of the room, all eyes on him. Regi met him before the Thain's place. 'Ferdibrand Took,' he intoned. Ferdi straightened his shoulders. 'By order of Thain Paladin, I lift the ban against you.' There was a stunned silence, and then a cheer broke out amongst the Tooks, swelling as the news sunk in. Reginard was not yet finished, however, and seeing that he had more to say, the room slowly quieted. Regi took a deep breath, meeting Ferdi's eyes squarely. 'I also convey to you the Thain's public apology,' he said. 'He wished to make it clear that you were unjustly punished for an offence that was not yours, that the ban was imposed through no fault of your own, and that his desire was for the Tooks to hold you blameless, not as one who has paid for his mistakes, but as one who was without guilt from the beginning.' Paladin had said as much to Regi the day before he'd been stricken; Regi wondered if the old hobbit had known, somehow, that his time was about to run out.

Regi took a deep breath and reiterated, 'Ferdibrand Took, the ban is lifted, you are no longer under sentence of shunning. You are free.'

The Tooks began to cheer again, rising from their seats to mob Ferdi, to shake his hand, to pound him on the back, to offer congratulations. He was awash in a sea of words, bewildered by the sudden attention, but it didn't matter. So many cousins were making up for all the words they had not been able to say, all this time, that he didn't have to say anything.

Tolly came up to him with a smile, this time. 'Welcome back to the family, cousin,' he said. 'I had hoped... but...' Ferdi nodded. It would have been all too possible for Thain Paladin to go to the grave with his bitterness intact, leaving the sentence of shunning in place, throwing Ferdi upon the mercy of the next Thain, Reginard, or whomever the Tooks selected if not Regi.

Hilly came up on his other side. 'This is good news, indeed!' he shouted. 'Join us at the Duck for the celebration! You're the guest of honour, you know!'

Ferdi grinned. The idea was beginning to sink in. Hearing the Thain order Regi to lift the ban was one thing, living it was another. He hadn't realised until now, receiving hugs and good wishes and pats on the back, how lonely his walk had become. It was going to be hard to get used to, but he didn't think he'd mind. Not at all.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List