Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Flames  by Lindelea

Word came that the Thain was a grandfather, Pippin's Diamond had been delivered of a fine son, though no one from the Smials went to the naming day for the lad (Faramir? What kind of name was that?).

Shortly before the tournament the following year, the Thain was stricken and took to his bed. Ferdi won the tournament again, and to his surprise, Eglantine, standing in her husband's stead, beckoned him forward and presented the winner's purse to him.

'Congratulations,' she murmured, smiling. He stared, so bemused that he forgot to bow, remembering belatedly at her chuckle. He bowed extra low to make up for his rudeness, and she said, 'That's good enough, Ferdi, no need to kiss the ground.'

He nodded, and she added, 'You may speak to me, you know, and I will answer. I'm not the one who ordered the shunning, and if the Thain knows what's good for him he won't say anything about it to me.'

'Yes, Mistress,' Ferdi said. 'Thank you.'

'You're most welcome, Ferdi,' she said, smiling at him--how refreshing to hear his name spoken!--and he bowed again and took his leave.

When Paladin arose from his bed much later, one corner of his mouth drooped, he had a permanent limp, and he used his left hand very little. The healers had worked diligently with him after he was stricken, but had to acknowledge that he would never again be completely whole.

He stalked grimly about the Smials, and the Tooks were elaborately courteous. Regi was more sober than ever, seeing the shadow of the Thainship hanging over him with this illness of the Thain's; Paladin was growing older.

The summer that his grandson turned two, travel preparations were again evident. Ferdi watched from his place by the stable wall, fingers busy with their craft, as the Thain and his wife and a small escort mounted ponies and rode away. Eglantine had a nod and a smile for Ferdi, and he nodded in return.

While the Thain was gone, Regi sought Ferdi out, even taking him down to the Spotted Duck and ordering beer for them both, since Ferdi could not very well order it himself. It was a nice break, and they talked long into the night.

'Too bad the Thain doesn't travel from the Smials more often,' Ferdi said quietly as he sipped his second mug, rare for him, but since this was a rare enough treat, he indulged himself.

'He won't be travelling again, I think,' Regi said soberly. 'He's not well, Ferdi, has never come back from that bad spell, and the healers say another could take him at any time.'

'And then you're stuck,' Ferdi said.

'O aye,' Regi returned, staring into his own beer. 'Unless he can convince Pip to return.'

'Is that where he's gone?' Ferdi asked, surprised.

'That's where he's gone,' Regi affirmed. 'Guess he'll get to meet his grandson in the bargain.'

'D'you think Pip will...?' Ferdi asked.

Regi shook his head. 'Why should he? He's got all he ever wanted. A wife, a child, a responsible position where he can make his own decisions without anyone questioning his every move...' he sighed. 'I'm stuck, all right.'

'Why don't you run away to Buckland?' Ferdi joked.

'I'm sorely tempted, some days,' Regi said.

'Thain Reginard,' Ferdi said. 'Got a kind of a ring to it.'

'Don't, Ferdi,' Reginard said, and he subsided. He knew the other hated the very thought of being Thain, and if Reginard wanted to avoid the idea until it was thrust upon him, Ferdi would go along, except...

'Just one question,' he said.

'What's that?' Regi replied.

'What would your first act be, as Thain?' he asked curiously.

'You mean, like lifting your shunning?' Reginard said after another sip of his beer.

'Something like that,' Ferdi said.

'I'll have to give it some thought,' Regi answered. He pulled his mouth into a lop-sided grin. 'Guess there are some advantages to being Thain after all,' he said.

***

The Thain came back, Pippin-less. At the next year's barley harvest, as Ferdi sat fletching a few more arrows behind Hally's booth at the fair, he was surprised to hear Eglantine's voice.

'Ferdibrand? A word with you?'

He scrambled to his feet, bowing, looking to young Robin Bolger, who hastily pulled up a stool for the Mistress. She seated herself with a gracious smile for the youngster, then dismissed him with a nod.

'Have a seat, Ferdi, rest your feet a moment,' she said then.

He seated himself again on the ground and waited.

'Did you plan to shoot in the tournament again?' she asked.

He cocked an eye at the sky. 'Looks sunny out,' he said obliquely.

'Hally's shadow,' she nodded. Leaning forward, she put a hand on his arm. 'I've come to ask...'

'Yes, Mistress?' he said politely.

'Please, don't,' she said softly.

At his look of surprise, she hesitated, then added, 'My husband is not at all well, and I wish to spare him the...'

'Aggravation?' Ferdi supplied.

'I would have said "sorrow", perhaps,' Eglantine said. She shook her head sadly. 'Stubborn pride, the curse of the Tooks. He ordered your shunning in a fit of anger and then he had too much pride ever to admit he'd made a mistake... please, lad, if not for him, then for me?'

Ferdi rose to his feet and bowed very low. 'For you, Mistress, of course I would do whatever you asked of me.'

'Just don't kiss the ground,' she said lightly, to hide the tears that threatened. Rising, she kissed his cheek. 'You're a good lad, Ferdi,' and turning away, she was gone, back to her escort waiting in the woodcarver's booth, back to walk the fair in her husband's place.

***

The Thain's grandson turned three that autumn, and presents arrived from Buckland for his relatives at the Smials, but of course, Pippin did not bring them. Another Yule came and went, another spring followed.

One cold and rainy evening, Tolly sought Ferdi out in his solitary room, where, teatime gone and late supper soon to begin, his fingers were busy about their work, trying to finish a few more shafts before it was time to see his father.

'The Thain wants to see you,' he said shortly.

Ferdi looked up in surprise. 'You're talking to me?' he asked.

'I don't see anyone else here,' Tolly snapped, 'and I'm certainly not talking to myself.'

Ferdi put down the shaft he was working on. 'What's happened?' he said quietly.

'You'll hear soon enough,' Tolly answered. 'Are you coming, or not?'

'Do I have a choice?' Ferdi said. 'I was always one to obey the Thain.'

'That you were,' Tolly answered, as Ferdi quickly put his tools and materials away.

He rose, brushing his clothes unnecessarily, running a hand through his hair. 'Am I presentable?' he asked.

'You'll do,' Tolly said dryly. 'I do not think he plans to paint your portrait this day.'

'Ah, but it is the first time he'll have spoken to me in years,' Ferdi said. 'I do not want to offend the hobbit at this late date.'

'Come along,' Tolly said, and he had no more words for Ferdi as he escorted him to the Thain's private quarters. When they reached the door, he said, 'Wait here,' knocked, and entered. A moment later he was back, holding the door open. 'Go on in,' he said.

Ferdi entered slowly, to be met by Eglantine, who led him through the living area to the Thain's bedroom. 'He wants to see you,' she said unnecessarily.

'I'm here,' Ferdi answered, feeling unaccountably nervous.

They entered the bedroom, and Ferdi took a deep breath at the sight of the Thain, propped up in the bed, face grey. He glanced quickly at Eglantine, to see her sorrowful nod. The Thain had taken a bad turn, although the news had not yet spread through the Smials.

The Mistress crossed to the bed, taking up her husband's hand. 'My love,' she said softly. 'Ferdibrand's come.'

The eyes opened wearily, and Paladin spoke, his words slurred and difficult to understand, but Ferdi had long practice, all these years of attending his father, and he knew what was said to him.

'Come closer, lad,' the Thain said. 'Come here.' Ferdi came to kneel by the bedside. The Thain pulled his hand free of Eglantine's and groped towards him. Ferdi took up the hand and the questing fingers stilled, but the head turned slightly on the pillow and the eyes sought his.

'I... was... wrong,' Paladin gasped out. 'I blamed you for... my son's choices...' It seemed for a moment that he would not be able to continue, but he made an obvious effort to rally himself. He looked to Reginard, on the other side of the bed. 'Lift... shunning,' he said.

'Yes, Sir,' Regi answered. 'At once.'

'Good,' the Thain slurred, then looked back at Ferdibrand. 'Sorry,' he said. 'I'm... sorry.'

Ferdi nodded. 'I forgive you, Sir, if it means anything at all.'

'Means... great deal,' Paladin said, with a slight nod. He released Ferdi's hand. 'Go... with grace.'

'And you, Sir,' Ferdi returned. He bowed very respectfully and turned to go.

***

After the door shut behind Ferdibrand, the Thain gestured weakly to Reginard.

'Dying,' he said.

'No, Sir,' Reginard answered, bending low. 'You can fight this.'

'No,' Paladin answered, and smiled. 'Can't slip... by this time,' he said. 'Promise...?'

Reginard bent closer as Eglantine took her husband's hand, tears sparkling on her cheeks.

'Yes, Sir?' Regi said.

'Bring Pip back,' the Thain said. 'Thain... after me. Bring him back.'

'I'll try, Sir,' Regi said.

'No,' Paladin said, his eyes flashing with a little of the old spirit. 'Try... faugh! Do!'

'Calm yourself, my love,' Eglantine urged, but the Thain's eyes continued to burn into Regi's.

'Yes, Sir,' Regi answered, to calm the old hobbit. 'I will.'

'Good,' Paladin said, settling back on the pillows. He turned his face to his wife.

'Ah, Pip,' he said. 'Nothing I ever did was good... enough...' and then his eyes closed, and the next breath never came.

Eglantine clasped his hand between her two hands, bending over to kiss the hand, and then her husband's cheek, not trying to suppress her tears now. 'O my love,' she sobbed. 'May all your dreams be of peace...'

As Regi started to steal from the room, she stopped him. 'Wait,' she said. She slipped the heavy ring, seal and signet of the Thain, from her husband's hand. 'Here,' she said, holding it out to Regi. 'You know what to do with this.'

Taking the ring, he nodded and left the room.

The Tooks were gathered in the great room, busily eating their suppers and chattering away about the events of the day. The news had just leaked out that the Thain had taken to his bed earlier, and much animated talk and speculation was taking place. No one noticed when Regi entered the room, for his place was already set at the head table, and it was not uncommon for him to come late to a meal, or to leave early, due to pressing matters of business.

He did not stop at his own place, however, but stood silently behind the Thain's chair, and seeing him there, the room quieted. He stared down at the Thain's empty place, then placed the Thain's ring precisely in the center of the plate. A gasp swept the room, and complete silence fell.

He didn't have to make the announcement; the ring sitting on the plate told the tale. Thain Paladin was dead.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List