Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

'Venturing  by GTA Otaku

Hiders and Seekers


The Hobbit walking party (An in joke by Peregrin, in memory of a friend) crossed The Water and set of in the general direction of Tuckborough, although they didn't really have a final destination planned as this was considered much more adventurous. As they walked they sang songs and told stories, eating quick lunches and afternoon tea but not tiring until early evening when Meriadoc finally ordered the stop for rest and dinner. Despite having walked since elevenses the younger Hobbits were still full of energy and excitement, and with an hour before food would actually be ready, a game of Hiders and Seekers was quickly devised.


"Don't go too far from the camp". Peregrin warned as the Gardener boys ran off to hide, leaving Faramir to count.


"One…two…"


"I think I'll cook the meat tonight". Meriadoc decided. "It won't keep otherwise".


"Five…six…"


"We could take them fishing tomorrow". Peregrin suggested.


"Seven…eight…"


"Are you sure we can keep them still for long enough?"


"Ten…seeker seeking". Faramir quickly disappeared into the thicket.


***


"He's gone the wrong way". Pippin stifled a laugh as he watched Faramir run off in the opposite direction. Behind him his brothers were searching for a really good hiding place.


"Look, a hole". Hamfast whispered, and sure enough hidden away beneath a tree root was a perfectly formed, and remarkably well hidden, animal burrow leading right into a knoll. Without a further word between them the three boys crawled into it, following it round and down until they came to a small cavern. It was so dark that no one could see, but they held each others hands and waited, laughing amongst themselves. They had this game won.


Time passed, and they waited, at one point thinking they had heard Faramir walking over the knoll, but saying nothing. More time passed, and they started to feel hungry.


Faramir, who had been walking around the forests near the camp, was even hungrier, and finally he admitted defeat. "Seekers surrender, Hiders out".


"Finally". Merry said in the darkness. "Come on, the entrance is over here". He groped around until he had found a hole in the wall.


"No it's not, it's over here". Pippin said, having found a similar hole on his side of the cave.


"There's a hole over here, it's this one".


With no wind to guide them, and the air musty wherever they went, there was no way to distinguish the holes. Silence followed, then through the pitch darkness three shrill voices called in unison. "Help!"


Through sheer luck their cry was heard by Peregrin, whose own search for the boys had brought him to the top of the knoll for a better look.


"Merry they're over here!" Where had the cry come from? It wasn't loudest in any particular direction, save up or…


"Help!"


…down.


"Oh no". Carefully, Peregrin knelt down on the ground, feeling the vibration of movement under his hands as he placed an ear against the grass. "Boys".


"Uncle Pippin, we can't see the entrance any more".


"I'm scared".


Faramir and Meriadoc were now standing at the bottom of the knoll, Meriadoc shaking his head. "Tell me they're not inside that hill".


"It was Hamfast's idea". Pippin's voice called from the mound.


"Was not".


"Was so". Merry and Pippin chorused.


"Was not".


"Just stay calm boys, Uncle Merry and I will get you out". Slowly, as if afraid that too much movement would collapse the knoll, Peregrin climbed down. "Look for the way in". They started to search the bottom and brow of the knoll frantically.


As soon as Faramir was out of immediate ear shot Peregrin turned to his cousin. "Sam is going to kill us".


Merry, who was somehow staying extremely calm, shook his head. "Rose can run faster".


*** *** ***





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List