Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

'Venturing  by GTA Otaku

The Adventure Begins


Arrangements for the birth of the Gardener's twelfth child had been planned, unplanned, planned, forgotten and rediscovered. Not a moment to soon they were finalised.


The day after the birth, Goldilocks and Daisy went with their sister Little Rose (as she was still known, despite now being fifteen) to stay with their Uncle Tolman. They had all been promised a slice of their Aunt Marigold's famous apple pie upon arrival and left eagerly as soon as they had finished their breakfast.


Elanor and Frodo meanwhile stayed at Bag End, helping their Father look after Primrose, Bilbo and Ruby while he in turn helped Rose look after baby Robin. As much as she loved helping her parents, Elanor had been disheartened by the idea of spending three days stuck at home looking after youngsters, until Fastred had offered to help around the smial, after which she thought the idea wonderful.


As for the remaining boys, Merry-Lad, Pippin-Lad and Hamfast, they were to spend their stay with Meriadoc and Peregrin, who had organised an overnight camping adventure in the forests near Hobbiton. Rose had been understandably worried by the idea of her boys spending two nights alone in the wild with a Brandybuck and a Took (two counting Faramir) but Sam had reassured her that it would be fine. Of course the last time Sam had reassured her of anything he had disappeared for over a year, but that went without mentioning.


It was now just after elevenses, and Rose was sat in the easy chair with baby Robin asleep in her arms. The boys stood by the door, making final preparations as they awaited the arrival of their 'Uncles'.


"You be on your best behaviour". She told them. "Don't eat any berries you don't recognise, stay away from deep parts of the river, and do everything you Uncles tell you". Sam, helping Hamfast with his pack, thought he heard her add 'within reason' but didn't say anything.


"Mum, we'll be fine". Merry said as he took a quick bite out of what was left of his elevenses.


"I know. I really just want you to have fun".


"They're here, they're here". Pippin called from the door.


"Okay, have a good time". Rose smiled proudly as her sons trooped out the door, Hamfast singing an old travelling song. When had they all grown up?


"Enjoy yourselves lads". Sam watched the boys descend down the path, gave Meriadoc and Peregrin a wave, and then closed the door. "They'll be alright". He said, placing a reassuring hand on his wife's shoulder as he turned to look out the window. "Bilbo get yourself down from that shelf, you'll fall".


Bilbo watched his brothers disappearing behind the hill. "Where they going Daddy?"


"They've gone adventuring Lad". Sam wrapped an arm around Bilbo's waste, carefully lifting him down onto the floor.


"Like Daddy went 'venturing?"


Sam smiled. "No, they won't be gone as long as I was".


"Can I go 'venturing?" The four year old looked up at his Father with wide eyes.


"Not yet". Rose said. "When you're older love". In her arms Robin woke up and started to moan slightly as he looked around, then with his eyes settling on his Mother's now familiar face he fell back into sleep, one first curled tightly around the fabric of her dress.


"But Mummy I want to go now". Bilbo started to climb up the shelf again, hoping to make it through the window after his brothers. Sam fetched him down, and the boy climbed again.


"Can't think where he gets his determination from". Sam said, genuinely wondering.


Rose rolled her eyes.


Considering his options with the stubborn child currently making his fourth attempt for the window, Sam had an idea. "Come on Bilbo Lad, I'll tell you about an adventure".


Taking Bilbo in his arms, Sam carried the boy into the study. Among the numerous ornaments and mathoms was a large red book, laid open on a title page ornately decorated with elvish patterns and borders. In the centre was written the name of the stories Sam had grown up with.


There and Back Again
A Hobbit's Tale by Bilbo Baggins


"That's my name". Bilbo stated, pointing at where it was written in the scripture.


Sam turned to the first page of the story and with his finger following the words for Bilbo started to read. "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit…"


*** *** ***





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List