Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Thirty Nine

It was dark in Merry’s room and well past midnight, yet it wasn’t much more than an hour ago that most everyone had retired to their beds. The evening was full of hard labor with cooking mushrooms, beans, peas and the glass jars in preserving for the winter food stores. Afterwards, the clean up process took them through to the midnight hour. Eglantine was quite pleased with the progress made that day, and rewarded everyone’s effort with a large batch of sugar cookies.

Presently, Merry lay awake in his bed. He was exhausted and felt he would have no problem falling asleep right away. Easier said than done. He tried twisting this way or turning that way, but to no avail. His legs and arms ached, but Merry was still grateful it wasn‘t his head that was aching. He lay on his back, arms behind his head with eyes staring up at the ceiling. He felt he had been doing more and more of this lately.

He was thinking about his father as his uncle had suggested earlier, when he heard the door handle turn. Unsure of who else would be up this late--or this early, he brought his arms down and lay as still as a stone; pretending to be asleep.

Whoever it was brought a candle with them. Merry guessed at this because his eyelids grew bright. He heard the person shuffle with a limp as they stepped over to grab a chair. My father!, he thought. Merry opened one eye to a slit and stole a peek. He watched his father struggle with the chair. Then he closed his eye again when he saw Saradoc reach out to.....Merry felt him bring the blankets up to his chin and tuck in the rest of the covers around him. He heard his father settle into the chair with a heavy sigh.

“Why are you here?” Merry spoke in a low voice.

Saradoc jumped when he heard Merry’s voice, “I’m sorry, Merry--I didn’t mean to wake you.” He felt his heart thumping inside his chest, “I only wanted to sit and watch over you a while. I’ll leave if you want.”

Merry still wasn‘t so sure he wanted his father present, “Well...I’m not used to having anyone watch me sleep. I'd feel your eyeballs all over me.”

“I understand.” Saradoc got up from the chair.

Merry watched as his father again make a face when he put his weight on his leg. “How did you injure your knee? You seemed fine when I left home in Wedmath.”

Saradoc turned red at the ears. “I, um....I....” He stammered. At a strange look from Merry, Saradoc came out with it. “Very well--I fell out of your little cart.”

Merry looked incredulous at his father. “You mean my little wagon? You fell out of my little wagon? How did you manage this?”

Saradoc became very sheepish, “When I found out that you were gone for good, I would sit in my study while memories of you filled my head. The memory of the last time you rode your wagon kept playing in my mind. I could again see you and Merimas dragging it up the hillside and then jump inside as it rolled back down towards the stables. I could hear you squealing with laughter as if you were a ten-year-old again.” Saradoc smiled.

Merry let a quiet moment pass. “I haven’t rode down the hill in my wagon since I was twelve. You used to watch me?”

“Through the window,” Saradoc replied. “Very few things in this world bring me more pleasure than to hear you laugh, Merry. Your laughter reminds me of the Brandywine in spring let loose after an icy winter. It’s the sound of a young bird as he spreads out his wings for the first time.”

Merry never knew this. A part of him was angry with Saradoc for not sharing this part of his life with him. The other part was amused that his father would go to such lengths in order to touch the memory of his son with a wild ride down a hillside.

Saradoc watched the conflict upon his child’s face and at once understood the stress he was under. “Merry, please...don’t fret over coming home right away. I can see you need time away still. Come home when you’re ready, but whatever you do, please stop by every now and then to see your mother. You don’t even have to speak to me, but please visit your mum.”

“Then I can stay with Uncle Paladin?”

Saradoc smiled to see Merry suddenly appear more relaxed, “Of course. That is an excellent choice. And I happen to know that your auntie and Paladin are the only ones in Middle Earth that love you as much as your Mum and I do.”.

“Tell me one thing,” Merry cringed a little. “Please tell me you rode the little wagon after nightfall and not during the daylight where all of our relations could see you.”

Saradoc was now only too pleased to tell his tale to his son. “Well, to tell you the truth--I wasn’t alone! It was Cousin Marmadas and myself along with a couple mugs of brew inside us that took us up the hill. It was a grand flight down the hill I’ll tell you! But when we reached the bottom--all I can say is I fared better than Marmadas!” Saradoc laughed and looked over to Merry, but lo and behold the boy had fallen asleep. A hint of a smile was on his lips.

Once again, Saradoc tucked his son in bed, kissed his forehead, and quietly limped out the door.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List