Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Forty

One week later, Merry sat under a large Birch not far from the Barn. He was deep in thought as he watched the fluffy white clouds sail by. A chilly breeze swept past him and so he wrapped his cloak tighter around himself to keep warm. The colorful leaves were more plentiful than they had been the week before. Merry was lost in his thoughts when someone strolled up.

"Hullo, Merry! Cloud gazing again?”

Merry looked up at the figure the voice belonged to and shaded his eyes to see better, but it wasn’t necessary. He recognized the voice of this hobbit and instantly knew who it was.

“Hullo, Uncle!” Merry saw he was holding two mugs with steam rising from each.

“Care for some tea?” Paladin leaned down to hand a mug to his nephew.

“Thank you!” Merry took the mug in his cold hands and sipped the hot liquid, nearly burning his lip in the process.

“Careful!” Paladin cautioned him. Keeping an eye on the contents in his own mug, Paladin cautiously sat down next to the teenager. “How do you like being an official member of this family?” It wasn’t totally official; Merry would always be a Brandybuck, and would return to his own family in the spring. Of course he’d visit at Yule.

“I rather like it.“ Merry actions spoke louder than his words as he leaned onto his uncle and lay his head upon his shoulder. “I wish you were my father all the time.”

Paladin smiled, “That’s a nice wish, Merry.” Paladin found himself cloud-gazing as well. “I must admit there have been times I’ve dreamed you were my son.” Merry looked at his uncle. Paladin continued, “but we both know that’s all it is--a dream.” He smiled, “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told others that I have five children!”

“But I am your son.” Merry interjected, wanting to believe it all himself. “For all intents and purposes, you are my father--not my uncle.”

Paladin put his arm around his nephew and brought him closer. “I love you, Merry, as if you were my own flesh and blood. But we both know there is change in the air.”

“Why must it change like this? Why couldn’t he have stayed in his study without complicating things?”

“Now Merry!” Paladin squeezed him in a tighter hug, “You do have a father, and he wants you back as soon as you are able. He loves you, Merry--and don’t forget your mother. Why, not a month ago I had a certain sixteen-year-old crying on my shoulder that he wanted his father to love him and take an interest in him. Do you remember who that was?”

“No.”

Paladin laughed, “Yes you do!”

“I said all of that because I didn’t know it would all come true.”

“Well...I suppose it has,” said Paladin. “Isn’t that a good thing, though?”

It took Merry a few seconds to decide, “I’m not sure--and I don’t think I ever will be.”

“Perhaps, but isn’t your Brandybuck inquisitiveness coming out? Don’t you want to know for sure--beyond all doubt that you have honestly made an effort to get to know the hobbit that sired you?”

“I dare to say that that is all he’s done so far.”

Paladin nudged his nephew, “be reasonable, Merry!”

“I am being reasonable! I’m reasoning that after I make an effort to get to know him he’s going to trot back into his study and forget all about me again.”

“Didn’t he tell you the story of how he hurt his knee before he left?”

“Yes--and what an embarrassment.”

Paladin chuckled, “Embarrassment? I will tell you that when he told me that story I almost split my gut laughing!” Merry eyed his uncle. “Merry, I was so happy to hear that tale! I knew then that the grumpy-old Saradoc that you’ve suffered through your whole life was gone--never to return! That’s the Sara I grew up with--that’s the Sara that was my best friend as a young lad.” Merry’s eyes went wide. “You didn’t know that, did you?”

Merry shook his head. “You and my father were...best friends?”

Paladin nodded. “Well--yes, after Addie he was. But I can tell you he was completely mad! When we were older, doing things like riding down a hillside half-smashed in a wagon was normal for him!” Paladin smiled at the memories. “Between your father, cousin Addie, and myself, we went tramping everywhere in the Shire.” Then Paladin grew serious. “Please promise me one thing, Merry.”

“What is that?”

“That you will make an effort. An effort in allowing him to get to know you. At least try to, please? For you old uncle’s sake?”

Merry paused for a moment and sighed. “I will...for you.”

Paladin hugged Merry closer, “That’s all I ask. You won’t regret it.”

Merry enjoyed the comfort of his uncle’s shoulder. “That remains to be seen, but I will give him a try as you say.”

The two hobbits, young and--not so young, sat in comfortable silence for a long while. Merry basked in the warmth of his dear uncle before going back inside the smial. Merry savored these last few moments; it all seemed so sad to him. He looked up at his uncle, “I will always love you as my father. And there’s nothing you can say to stop me.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”

~~The End!~~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List