Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Thirty Eight

Later that evening in Paladin‘s little smial, everyone had a job in the preserving process: naturally, it was Eglantine, Esmeralda, Pearl, and Pim who prepped and cooked the beans, peas, and jars. With a bit of wax and cork stoppers, Pervinca sealed the jars, Merry poured extra hot wax over the stoppers, and using a small sturdy stick, Pippin would write into the wax the date it was prepared. It was up to Paladin and Saradoc to carry the cases of cooled preserves to the cellar.

Merry would occasionally help his uncle and father when his tasks allowed it, yet because he was still recuperating some, he would quickly grow tired. On one such trip, he nearly dropped the box of preserves he was carrying. Saradoc, who had just piled his box on top of others, caught the box as it slipped from Merry’s grip and helped him ease it to the cellar floor.

Saradoc sat down next to Merry on the floor. “Are you all right?”

Merry grew tense, but nodded. For a moment neither spoke. After a while Saradoc could bear the silence no longer and started to get up. A sharp pain shot through his knee he had injured over the summer and he fell back down. Merry wondered at this, but said nothing.

Just then Paladin walked in carrying a box of newly cooled jars. “All right, you two slackers! Get up and give me your money’s worth!”

Saradoc joked in return, “Help me get up first, you taskmaster!” He reached up as Paladin took his hand and made to stand up, but grimaced at the pain and fell back again.

Paladin noticed the swelling in Saradoc’s knee. “Sara, what happened to your knee?”

“Nothing--just help me get up.”

“I will not! Look at it!” Paladin recalled Saradoc at Bag End, “Were you not using a walking stick back a week ago?”

“Well, if you must know, I had a minor scrape is all. Now help me up.” Saradoc held forth his hand.

Paladin shook his head, “You‘re going to hurt yourself again!“ He gripped Saradoc’s hand and supported his upper arm for better leverage, then lifted. Portly Saradoc weighed just a tad more than Paladin and once more fell back onto the cellar floor.

“Merry, would you be willing to help an old ass?” Paladin asked. Merry said nothing, but stood himself up and took his father’s other arm.

Paladin looked at his nephew. “On my count--one, two, three!” Both he and Merry tugged at Saradoc’s arms until he was able to stand.

“Ahh!” Saradoc winced as he put his weight on his leg.

“Sara, why are you putting yourself through this?” Paladin watched as his brother-in-law limped towards the door.

“I’m fine, Paladin. I am going to sit for a minute, but I don’t want Esmeralda to see me like this.” Saradoc peered around the doorway ensuring no one was within earshot.

“You don’t think Essie’s going to notice you limping right past her? Give her more credit than that!”

“I just don’t want her to worry after me,” Replied Saradoc, “She won’t notice a thing; she’s enjoying the company of all the lasses here.”

Paladin and Merry observed as Saradoc limped up to the threshold of the kitchen. He then straightened up and then walked out towards the main hallway. Paladin and Merry exchanged amazed looks. Neither of them could detect a limp.

“Sara--you should go and sit down before you injure your knee further!” Paladin snorted a laugh as he heard his sister’s voice scolding her husband.

Even Merry smirked a little, “Nothing gets by Mum.”

“I think maybe he’s trying too hard--do you think?” Paladin looked at Merry.

Merry looked down and shrugged, “I don’t know. Perhaps he shouldn’t be trying at all.”

“I wonder at that, too, Merry--and perhaps he shouldn’t be let off the hook so easily. But this I do know: he does love you.”

“If he truly loved me, this impasse wouldn‘t exist.”

“True,” Paladin answered. “But people do change--including old, worn out hobbits! Someday when you and Pippin are all grown up, I am willing to wager that both of you will make grievous errors against others or against your own children, and then ask pardon for it. Making mistakes doesn’t stop just because you’re out of your tweens.” Paladin patted Merry’s shoulder as he made to leave. “Just think about it, all right?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List