Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Thirty Five

Paladin left Saradoc to sleep off his wine and then went to Merry’s room. He remembered seeing light inside this particular window as he rode up the lane earlier. .

He saw the source of the light was the fire in the hearth along with a candle sitting on the table by the window. As he quietly closed the door behind him he recognized the voice of his sister, Essie, humming a lullaby from the chair where she sat--apparently half asleep herself. Nearby on the bed lay a slumbering Merry covered with his favorite quilt. Paladin observed how at peace he looked. Gone were the dark circles under his eyes and color had come back into his face.

Not wanting to break the enchanting spell that bound mother and son, Paladin crept to the wardrobe and pulled out a smaller blanket and spread it over his sister.

Esmeralda startled and opened her eyes. “Paladin!” She whispered, “Where have you been? We’ve all been worried about you!”

“I would tell you, but I promised a certain lady that I’d tell her first,” he whispered back, crouching down next to her chair. “How’s Merry doing?”

This question brought a smile to Esmeralda’s lips, which Paladin interpreted as good news. “He’s doing much better. His headache gone.” Esmeralda smiled at her brother, “Thank you, Paladin.”

Paladin was puzzled, “For what?”

“All the love you and your family have given to my son over the years....I wouldn’t know where to begin to repay you.”

“There was never any payment required.” Paladin was hurt that his sister would think he would ever ask for something in return for simply being a father.

“I know that, and that’s what makes it so hard to ask what I‘m about to ask,” she said.

“You want me to step back and let Sara get to know Merry--is that it?”

“No--not to step back,” she answered, “That would tear Merry to pieces. If you would...I’d like for you to encourage Merry to allow Sara into his life. He listens to you, Paladin. Hopefully one day Merry will be as close to Sara as he is to you right now.”

Paladin thought on this for a moment. The pain of letting go...

Esmeralda thought she saw a twinge of grief in her brother’s eyes. She thought for sure that she had broken his heart with her words.

Paladin looked at his dearest sister, “I love Merry as I do my own son, and because I love him, I will do as you ask. Every boy needs to know his own father.” He added, “but may I ask for one thing?”

“What is that?”

“That Merry be allowed to continue his visits here.”

A hint of a smile appeared on Esmeralda‘s lips, “Only on one condition.”

Paladin wondered at his sister‘s request. “What would that be?”

“That Pippin is allowed to do the same.” She smiled, “He’s old enough to spend time away from his mother and father, is he not?”

“Essie, you don’t know what you ask!” Paladin grinned, “Pippin would be only too happy to get away from his ever-meddlesome parent. We seem to interfere with his schemes and antics. You must always keep in mind that he’s a bright lad who knows his way around adults--and can be a bit of a challenge at times.”

“I know that,” she smiled. “That’s what makes Pippin so lovable. He’s as irrepressible as his father was when he was a lad.” She took on a conspiratorial expression, “I seem to remember when I was a lass, there was a certain young lad who gave our father plenty of grief with his behavior!” They both laughed quietly.

Paladin stood up with a bit of difficulty, feeling the cartilage creek inside his knees. “Oy, it’s when I get up like this that I remember I’m not a young lad anymore!” He took the blanket that had covered his younger sister before their conversation, and put it over her shoulders once more, and kissed her forehead. “Go to sleep.” Then whispered in her ear, “You’ll need it to deal with Sara in the morning!”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List