Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Merry's Decision  by PIppinfan1988

Chapter Thirty Six

The colorful autumn leaves no longer clung to their tree limbs. Instead, they littered the ground everywhere and scattered with the gusting wind. Eglantine looked out her kitchen window and gazed at the leaves turning colors. She was sad that summer was over; it was her favorite season. Summer was the time of year when children were able to go outside and enjoy themselves under the warm sunshine. Feeling the soft green turf under their feet as they ran laughing and playing to their heart’s content. She only saw autumn as the in-between part to what usually ended up being a harsh winter. Someone, somewhere in the Shire would not survive to see the next spring...that was the way of winter.

Eglantine shook her gloomy thoughts from her mind and saw again the cool, sunny autumn morn. Working next to her in the kitchen were her daughters and her sister-in-law, Essie. Though for Eglantine, Esmeralda was more than a mere sister-in-law. She considered her more like a sister. Eglantine felt free to claim her as such since all she had while growing up were brothers. Her thoughts were interrupted as clinking dishes and clattering pots announced that breakfast was ready to be served. She patted her youngest daughter’s shoulder, “Go and tell the others breakfast is ready.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Pervinca put down the platter of flat-cakes she was holding and wiped her hands on her apron. She was eager to taste the sumptuous breakfast she had just helped to cook. Hopefully everyone would notice how fluffy they were this morning.

As she entered the hallway she was nearly knocked down by two very hungry young hobbits. “Out of my way,” said the smaller one.

“Pippin!” Eglantine scolded her son, “Mind your manners!”

Merry, at least, offered an apology, “I’m sorry Pervinca--it’s just that I’m starving this morning!”

Eglantine smiled at her nephew, “Well, I’m happy to see you’re up and feeling better, Merry.”

Today was the first day in a long time that he didn’t have a headache--not even a tiny bit. His stomach was more than ready for solid food.

“Thank you, Auntie. My stomach is happy, too.” He and Pippin started to help themselves to breakfast.

“Merry, you must mind your manners as well," Esmeralda chided her own son. "Wait for everyone else to sit down.”

Eglantine looked down into the hallway, speaking to her children, “What is keeping your father from the breakfast table?”

“He’s talking,” Pippin answered. “I’m hungry, momma. Can’t we go ahead and start?”

Eglantine didn’t consider it good manners to begin a meal without the head of the family at the table, but what else was she to do? Right now there was a table full of hungry children and guests to feed and it was equally discourteous to keep them waiting. “Very well, everyone go ahead and start breakfast,” she said, and went off in search of Paladin.

She found her husband exactly where she thought he’d be. She also heard another voice in response to his.  They spoke in a low volume as if the dialogue was for their ears alone. She knew in her heart the subject was Merry, and decided it was best not to disturb them. They would come to breakfast whenever their discussion was finished.

“I think you ought to ask him yourself.” Paladin was trying to convince Saradoc to speak to Merry about when he intended to return to Brandy Hall.

“He won’t want to talk to me,” Saradoc covered his eyes with one hand--a residual effect from the night before. Hs stomach was sour and his head throbbed. He sighed at his discomfort, “Now I have an idea of what Merry’s been going through this past week.”

“Would you rather I spoke to him?” Paladin made an offer, he half hoped Saradoc would take it.

“No!” Saradoc answered nervously, “No...I’ll speak to him. That is, as soon as I can speak and not feel as if my head will burst!” Then he said, “Would you consider being present? I have a suspicion he will feel safer with you nearby, and....so will I.”

It wasn’t until after lunch when Saradoc was able to think about food and not feel too nauseated. He washed his face and padded out to the to the kitchen to pour himself a cup of tea.

“Well look who’s gracing our presence!” Eglantine smirked. She and Pearl sat at the table slicing mushrooms in preparation for preserving. “We’re getting ready to cook our mushroom harvest for our winter food stores--care for any mushroom stew with bits of meat?” Then a sly grin came to her face, “or would you simply prefer eggs and sausage with lots of gravy?”

Saradoc held his stomach and sighed. He was reconsidering if he should have stayed in his room. Obviously, his sister-in-law was having a laugh at his expense. He deserved it. “No, thank you,” he answered.

“Sit down, Sara,” Eglantine laughed. “I’ve got a pot of tea boiling just for you.”

“Thank you, Tina.” Saradoc accepted the cup of tea Eglantine poured and set in front of him. “Have you seen my wife?”

Eglantine nodded towards the door, “Yes, she’s outside with the children snapping beans and shelling peas for preserving. Though I suppose my Pippin is eating more beans than he’s snapping.”

She leaned in closer. “Go on,” she whispered. “It’s safer with the children around! She’s not apt to think your head a green bean and snap it off!” She smiled, watching Saradoc grimace when she emphasized the word ‘snap’. “Just be extra nice to her today.”

“Thank you.....I think.” He mumbled the last part.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List