Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

16. And The Winner Is?

As Celeborn had hoped, Legolas insisted that rather than ride into Alqualondë for the New Year's festival that evening, they should sail there in his ship. Everyone was delighted with the idea, but Thranduil looked a little doubtful since he had discovered on his journey across the sea that he was not overly fond of sailing.

"We do it every year," Elladan reassured him. "Elrohir, Aradir and I have become quite good mariners, along with Legolas of course."

"It is but a short distance around the cove to the harbour entrance," added Legolas. "The archery tournament begins tomorrow afternoon so it suits me to have a place close by where I can relax before it starts," he explained as everyone gathered for the morning meal. "There is more than enough room aboard for any who wishes to rest after the evening's celebrations as well."

"Ai, that is an excellent idea!" exclaimed Celeborn. "Did you hear that, Faerwen?" he asked the elfling who was sitting on his knee as she ate. "We are going sailing in the grey ship."

"Is it the same one you and greatgrandnana tell about in your stories of Lothlórien?" she asked, her eyes bright with excitement and curiosity.

"No, it is quite a bit larger, but it will be just as enjoyable. Maybe Legolas will even allow me to take a turn at the helm, and if he does I will let you help me steer," he promised. Faerwen clapped her hands with delight and wrinkled her nose at Aradir who had often told her she was far too small to learn to sail.

"Greatgrandadar can have a turn at steering the ship, can he not?" she asked Legolas eagerly and with the directness of the young.

"I see no reason why not," he replied, earning himself a hug from Elrohir's daughter.

"Can we go now?" she asked wondering why everyone was laughing.

"No not yet. First my fellow mariners and I must make sure all is in order with the ship," he said inclining his head towards Elladan, Elrohir and Aradir who had finished their meal and were waiting at the doorway for him to join them. "However, you are welcome to come and assist us, if you would care to?" he asked of Celeborn.

"We would be delighted," he answered, taking the elfling by the hand and following the others down to the cove where the ship was docked, leaving Neridwen and the other ladies to make their own preparations for a short stay aboard ship.

Finally all the preparations were complete, and the grey ship sailed gracefully out of its safe haven. Late afternoon was already upon them, but as Legolas had said, it was a short trip, although long enough to allow everyone to enjoy the feel of the salty sea air on their faces, and relax as the ship rose and fell with the gentle swell of the waves.

Glorfindel, Elrond and Thranduil had no real interest in helping sail the ship and so had found themselves some comfortable seats near the railings where the three friends of long standing could spend the time enjoying both their usual glass of wine and quiet conversation.

"Did you know that Legolas and Haldir had intended to settle their differences at long last, Thranduil?" asked Glorfindel leaning back against the rail in a very relaxed pose as he turned his face towards the breeze.

"No. Legolas and I had discussed the matter, but it was as much a surprise to me as it was to everyone else, especially Neridwen, when Haldir arrived. I am pleased they did though, for I see how much happier and content they all are," Thranduil answered, following Glorfindel's example and letting the wind comb through the silken strands of his hair.

"And in light of this newfound happiness, I am inclined to favour Legolas to win the contest tomorrow," said Elrond thoughtfully. Thranduil and Glorfindel exchanged a surprised look at their friend's words.

"Do you wish to change your mind and make a wager?" asked Glorfindel hopefully.

"No, I do not. I have no desire to find myself in Celeborn's predicament, I was simply making and observation," Elrond answered trying to frown sternly instead of smile.

"What difference does their reconciliation make?" asked Thranduil. "They are both extremely competitive and highly skilled."

"And equally matched. Yet knowing this, does it not make you wonder why Legolas lost two consecutive contests? " Asked Elrond.

"I assume because Haldir scored higher than he did," replied Thranduil with a shrug at what seemed obvious.

"Yes he did, but his task was made easier by the fact that Legolas was not himself either of those times. In the year that Gimli had taken ill, Legolas was so filled with concern for his friend that he shot very poorly and only managed third place," explained Elrond. "Sadly for us all, the Dwarf passed away only a week before the next contest. Legolas was devastated and so overcome with grief that he barely made it to the final round. Neridwen had tried to convince him not to compete, but he felt that Gimli would have been disappointed in him if he withdrew."

"Ai, I see, but I would not have thought he could be distracted so, it would have been a fatal error in battle," said Thranduil.

"But his only battle was with Haldir. Your son is very sensitive where those he loves are concerned, and it seems he shoots best when all is well with them. It came as no surprise that the year he was wed, he won by a record margin," said Glorfindel with a smile at the memory of the look of disbelief on Haldir's face when the result was announced. "And his year he has a new son to impress, not to mention a renewed friendship with Haldir."

"Then I would be greatly concerned if I were Celeborn," said Thranduil cheerfully.

        ********

As promised, Celeborn took the helm and allowed Faerwen a few turns of the wheel. The elfling was at first totally absorbed in the experience, but soon found it became tedious, and with a polite 'thank you, greatgrandadar,' she ran to find Estellan.

"I think you are enjoying this far more than the young one," Galadriel whispered in his ear as she stood close beside him.

"You know me too well," he replied, kissing her cheek lightly before turning his attention back to his task, savouring the sea breeze and the feel of the polished wood in his hands, and the love of the one who was ever at his side.

Soon the archway into the haven became visible and both Aradir and Faerwen rushed to the bow to gaze in wonder at the beauty of the gaily decorated harbour and the white swan ships they could see as the mists parted and Celeborn expertly guided the ship to its mooring.

Each of the ships seemed to glow softly in the fading light, and strung between their masts were many bright lanterns, looking to the young ones as if the stars had come down from the sky to join in the festivities. All along the main wharf garlands of flowers hung from the railings and stalls sporting brightly coloured banners were set up displaying the finely crafted handiwork of artisans of all kinds that could be bargained for, or bought as the case may be. At the end of the wharf where it met the pearly white sand of the beach was a pavilion from where the musicians and minstrels, who were constantly performing, could be heard by those wishing to either join in the singing or to dance.

It was a joyous time for the Elves of Valinor, especially those who had only recently arrived, and the feasting and celebrations continued well into the dawn of the New Year.

        ********

By the time those who had stayed aboard Legolas's ship had fully rested, it was only a few hours before the tournament was to begin, and no-one was surprised to find that their host had already left for the clearing where the contest was to take place.

"It looks to be a more difficult task we are set this year," commented Legolas to Haldir as they inspected the placement of the targets.

"And there are quite a few more contestants, as well," replied Haldir as he looked around at the many Elves who were strapping on their quivers and making last minute adjustments to their bows.

"So I see. Ai, there is Neridwen," said Legolas was he waved to his wife who was seated with Thranduil and Elisiel on a blanket in the shade of the trees in the spectator area. She smiled at them both and waved back as she placed several pillows around Estellan who was just learning to sit up. As usual, Faerwen was helping to keep the babe occupied, and Legolas smiled as he saw Elrohir wink conspiratorially at him as he and Elladan spread a blanket for themselves and their wives close to Neridwen.

"I think I should go and pay our respects to my Lord and Lady before the competition starts. Neridwen told me of the wager Lord Celeborn made with Thranduil, and if by some stroke of fortune you manage to win, I will not be in favour with my Lord," he said lightly as he began to walk off in the direction of the pavilion.

"Fortune has nothing to do with it. I will defeat you with my superior skill. I have already allowed you to win too many tournaments," declared Legolas loudly so as to be heard over the excited murmurs of the rapidly growing crowd.

"ALLOWED me to win! What nonsense you speak!" shouted Haldir, as he turned to face his opponent. Legolas knew there was no anger in his words, but many of the spectators assumed they were watching a continuation of hostilities between the two.

"I will let my bow answer your challenge," stated Legolas, trying desperately to contain his mirth as he caught Haldir's eye and they realised they were currently the centre of attention. With a slightly raised eyebrow to indicate his own amusement at the misconstrued situation, Haldir turned on his heel and stormed over to speak to Celeborn.

A special pavilion had been set up for Galadriel and Celeborn, who were the honoured guests at the tournament, and it was from there that Elrond, Celebrían and Glorfindel were also to watch the contest.

"My Lady," said Haldir as he bowed and kissed her hand gallantly.

"That was a very fine performance, Haldir," commented Galadriel with a warm smile.

"Indeed," agreed Celeborn. "If I did not know better, I would think that both you and Legolas have taken lessons from the notorious Glorfindel." Glorfindel favoured him with a sour look, but made no comment.

"I came to assure you that I fully intend to win today, for I have heard many of Lord Glorfindel's songs, and would not wish to be the cause of my Lord's embarrassment," he said to Celeborn.

"Nor will you be for even if you are defeated, I rather think the blame will lie with good spirits from too much Dorwinion," commented Galadriel with just a hint of disapproval in her voice at the sound of silvery laughter from the golden Lord. Celeborn also laughed and took her hand in his, and kissed her fingers in a conciliatory gesture.

"It was wine of a very good vintage, my love. Besides, I have every confidence Haldir will win," he answered.

"Not unless he joins in the contest, the first round is about to begin," commented Glorfindel inclining his head to where the Master Archer was standing waiting for the first contestants to take their places.

        ***********

Due to the large number of competitors, there were several heats in the first round, and only the top one hundred scores advanced to the second. The last heat was for novices only and was the only round in their contest. The targets were similar to those used in practice, namely a circle of soft wood, painted with rings of decreasing size, but increasing value until the centre was reached, where a small star was painted. As they stood to one side after completing their heat and watched the other first round contestants, Legolas and Haldir spoke quietly, commenting on the skills of the archers they were acquainted with as well as the younger ones displaying their skills for the first time.

Legolas looked over to where Elladan and Aradir were now standing, watching as the elfling's friends competed. He could easily read the disappointment on the younger elf's face, and felt a little sorry for him.

"Judging by those in the contest, Aradir would have easily won," said Legolas when the final heat was ended, and the pennant presented to the winner by Galadriel.

"Why was he not competing, then?" asked Haldir. Legolas had quickly explained the reason. "A just punishment," Haldir said nodding with approval.

Both Legolas and Haldir had easily advanced to the second round, having made perfect scores in the first. In this round, the level of difficulty increased with the targets now being squares of coloured cloth secured between two pieces of rope that were stretched between the trees at head height, the unpredictable movement in the slight breeze adding to the difficulty. This level of difficulty was also an elimination round, and only the twenty with the highest scores advanced to the next. Once more Legolas and Haldir easily shot perfect scores, much to the delight of their supporters.

"So far we are equally matched, but this round will soon prove who is the more skilled," taunted Haldir as he took his turn.

The targets were to be found high in the branches of the trees, and were again coloured pieces of cloth, and this time elimination occurred if even one target was missed. Haldir did not miss. Neither did Legolas.

"So, we meet again in the final. You have savoured your last taste of victory, mellon nin," warned Legolas as they wandered over to join Neridwen for the short recess before the final which was to be conducted at twilight, to fully test the skills of the archers.

"Do you still favour yourself to win?" asked Haldir feigning disbelief that it could be so and causing a shadow to pass across Neridwen's fair face before she realised they were only jesting.

"I certainly do!" she declared loyally, but greeting them both with a kiss on the cheek nevertheless.

At the end of the last round the field had been reduced to Legolas and Haldir, two others formerly from Ithilien, and one from Lothlórien. For the final, the targets were once again in the trees, but rather than coloured pieces of cloth, they were small baubles made of coloured glass, suspended from the branches high above with a very fine wire. As Anor chased Ithil from the sky, they captured the changing light and twinkled like stars as they moved about in the warm evening air.

The challenge was to see who could score the most hits, but rather than take turns, all five archers were to shoot at once. Thus not only did they need to have the skill to hit the targets, but they had to be aware of their surroundings so that no injury was caused by stray arrows to any of the other finalists. If a selected target was missed, the contestant was eliminated. It was an extremely difficult task and in a very short time, only Legolas and Haldir remained in the contest.

It was now much easier to avoid inadvertently shooting each other, but as the darkness of night rapidly descended the targets became increasingly difficult to see. Finally there was only one left, and the scores were even, so whoever hit it would be the victor. Haldir glared triumphantly at Legolas as he spotted the last glittering target and took aim a split second before Legolas did. Silence descended on the crowd as they waited for the tinkling sound of shattered glass.

Before anyone realised what was happening, Legolas quickly nocked his bow, and in a movement faster than even many elvish eyes could follow, he fired. To everyone's amazement, rather than aim directly at the target, he sent his arrow towards Haldir's deflecting it from its course. Less than a heartbeat later, a second arrow from his bow shattered the target, releasing a starburst of light, and the contest was won.

The stunned silence continued for several more moments before Thranduil lead the cheering and applause for the skill displayed in the winning shot. Haldir shook his head in disbelief as he walked over to congratulate his friend.

"Well done, mellon nin. That was exceptional shooting," he said as they grasped forearms in the fashion of warriors.

"It was a good contest, and the outcome was as expected. Whilst we have now won an even number of tournaments, my wins have always been far more spectacular than yours," replied Legolas with a smile to take the arrogance from his words.

"As is necessary of course to defeat one as talented as I," replied Haldir proudly.

Legolas was given no chance to respond as both victor and vanquished were quickly surrounded by family and friends, and congratulations offered to both for such an exciting finish to the tournament.

The archery range was rapidly cleared of the targets and any stray arrows, enabling it to be used for the victory celebrations, and once Galadriel had presented Legolas with the winner's pennant, the sound of laughter and music soon filled the clearing as the revelry began.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List