Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

15. For Love Of Neridwen

Legolas rode slowly through the forest, enjoying the cool, fresh smell of the early morning air. The ever constant rustling of the leaves as the trees told each other tales and spoke of things beyond even the understanding of the Elves was like soothing music to his ears and he allowed the peace and tranquillity to calm him as he neared his destination.

It was but two days until the New Year, and the much anticipated archery tournament, and whilst his preparations for the event were complete, he was unsure as to how successful he would be in performing the task he had set himself this morning. As the dwelling he was seeking came into view, he stopped and dismounted, deeming it wisest to continue on foot. Asking his horse to wait for him, he straightened his tunic, took a deep breath and walked towards the house that Haldir shared with his brothers.

"It is a fine morning, is it not Haldir?" asked Legolas in a friendly manner as he approached the tree beneath which Haldir was sitting, polishing his bow.

"Have you lost your way, Legolas?" asked the former Lothlórien marchwarden coldly, referring to the fact that Legolas had not been seen in Haldir's home since he and Neridwen were wed. He put his bow aside and stood to face his visitor. Legolas held his anger at Haldir's rudeness in check and tried not to frown. Maybe his task was not going to be difficult, maybe it would be impossible, he thought, but he had come this far and had no intention of accepting defeat before he even had a chance to speak.

"No, I have reached my intended destination," he answered, ignoring the insult. "There is a matter of great importance we need to discuss."

"And what might that be?" asked Haldir warily, but nevertheless intrigued to hear what had prompted Legolas to seek him out after all this time.

"Our relationship and how it is affecting Neridwen. It grieves her to know that the two she loves most are barely civil to one another, and have not bothered to try and resolve their differences, even for her sake," said Legolas, succinctly stating the problem. "We both love her and should do whatever we must to make her happy."

Haldir studied the younger Elf for several moments and Legolas did not avert his gaze as he felt the elder's eyes penetrate the inner depths of his heart, sensing his turmoil and the sincere desire to end their feud, not just for Neridwen's sake as he had stated, but for himself as well.

"Such a discussion is well overdue, and we have both been remiss in allowing our differences to cloud her happiness," agreed Haldir in a more congenial tone of voice. He settled himself back against the tree trunk and indicated for Legolas to sit as well. "What is it you wish to say?"

"It has been several years since Gimli's passing and whilst I still grieve for him deeply, I have come to realise that his attitude towards you was no less offensive than yours was to him. It was unfair of me to condemn your behaviour, when his was no different." It was a difficult admission to make, but when Neridwen had asked him to explain his own attitude, he had not been able to give her a reason why he favoured the opinion of one friend over the other. As she had rightly pointed out, it was not really his battle. Haldir and Gimli seemed to enjoy their verbal jousting, and strangely enough, their dislike of one another. "I am asking you to accept my apology and my friendship."

"Legolas, we are friends, and despite our misunderstandings I have never thought otherwise. I was hurt by your animosity towards me, and I do accept your apology but I am not blameless in this. I had no right to demand Gimli be denied permission to attend your wedding. He was a close friend to both you and Neridwen and had every right to be there. Celeborn was correct to intervene and speak to me as he did, yet I apologised under duress that day. Although it is too late to attempt to make amends with Gimli, I offer you my sincere apology for any distress I caused you on your wedding day," he said bowing his head slightly.

"You are forgiven," said Legolas emphasising his words with an affectionate smile. "Actually, now that I think about it, Adar was right. It was not so much animosity towards you that clouded my judgement, it was jealousy," he said suddenly realising the truth.

"Jealousy? What was there to be jealous about?" asked Haldir in surprise.

"I was jealous of your relationship with Neridwen, of the love she feels for you. My mind told me there was no reason to be, for I knew she is as a daughter to you, but my heart did not listen to reason and I could not help myself," he said feeling slightly embarrassed by his admission.

"Such behaviour is a common occurrence for those newly in love, or so my Adar once told me. Neridwen is like a daughter to me, and I will always love her as if she was. Rest assured it has never been any different between us nor could it be. Only a fool would deny that you and Neridwen are meant for each other," he said, letting Legolas see the understanding in his eyes. "So can we consider our problems resolved, or do I detect there is another issue?" Asked Haldir, sensing there was something else Legolas wished to mention.

"Yes, all is well between us, and I hope to see you at my home this evening for an informal gathering. Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn are expected to arrive today, and along with Elrond and his sons they will be staying until after the New Year celebrations. Will you come?"

"It would be my pleasure to attend. I cannot wait to see the look on Neridwen's face when I arrive. It has been far too long since we last spent some time together," replied Haldir.

"You do realise, mellon nin, that our friendship does not extend to the archery range?" asked Legolas as he embraced Haldir before bidding him farewell.

"It never has, as I recall, but I think it unfortunate that there can be only one winner. I hear we are equal favourites and it would greatly upset those making wagers if the contest was a tie!" said Haldir.

"I rather think they would be more upset if we both withdrew from the event," commented Legolas with a mischievous grin. They exchanged glances as if they were actually considering doing just that, then both shook their heads in denial.

As Legolas walked back to his horse, the musical sound of laughter filled the glade, causing the trees to wonder what the elves found so amusing.

        *********

The combination of a warm evening breeze and brightly shining stars proved irresistible to Legolas and Thranduil and they convinced their guests to move the rather large gathering from the sitting room to the small glade outside. There was plenty of food and wine and the conversations were light hearted and included much speculation as to who would win the archery contest on New Year's Day.

Legolas was pleased to see that everyone was enjoying themselves and he joined in the cheering and applause when Glorfindel arrived carrying his harp. Before long the air was filled with the sound of sweet elvish voices singing their favourite songs, whilst dancing gaily around the small fire in the centre of the glade. The impromptu feast reminded Thranduil very much of nights spent in revelry under the trees in Mirkwood and he looked for his dance partner. Elisiel was holding Estellan on her lap while Faerwen played with his small hands.

"Legolas, take charge of your son so that I can dance with my wife," demanded Thranduil jovially.

"Yes, Adar," he answered meekly, eliciting a smile from Elisiel as she handed Estellan into his arms and tied his hair back out of reach. Thranduil glared at him for a moment, suspecting he was being insolent rather than obedient, before Elisiel pulled him towards the dance floor.

"I wish he had been as instantly obedient as that when he was an elfling, it would have made my life much easier," he grumbled playfully. Legolas heard the comment and laughed. A light tap on his shoulder caused him to turn around and see Elrohir standing behind him.

"Legolas, a word with you, if I may?" asked Elrohir, indicating they should move to a more private spot.

"What is it?" he asked, playing with Estellan's fingers as he spoke.

"No doubt you have heard that Elladan and I have made a wager on the contest?" Legolas nodded. "I just wanted to assure you that I really believe you will win, although I told Elladan I favoured Haldir."

"If you expect me to win, why did you accept the bet?" he asked curiously.

"Because of the stakes, when the loser will be required to assist Adar in tutoring his classes in Lore that he has organised for Aradir, Faerwen and a few other elflings. Elladan sees it as a chore, but he is not aware that I have developed an interest in teaching Lore, and would be more than pleased to help Adar," he explained.

"I see. So if I win, you will be 'forced' into a chore Elladan sees as boring, but one that you will actually enjoy?" said Legolas.

"Exactly, and if Haldir wins, Elladan will have to take on a task he considers an unpleasant waste of time. Either outcome means he loses and that will please me immensely," said Elrohir with a hint of youthful mischief in his eye. Legolas rolled his eyes in response to his friend's devious plan, and then turned his gaze to his son.

"I hope you are not listening to Lord Elrohir's wickedness towards his brother, Estellan," said Legolas to the babe in his arms, causing Elrohir to laugh. "You are far too young to start learning mischief!"

"Speaking of mischief, what is Haldir doing here?" asked Elrohir as he pointed to the figure standing in the archway leading into the glade. Before Legolas could reply, Neridwen ran to Haldir and threw herself into his arms, kissing him several times as tears of joy filled her eyes.

"It has been far too long since I saw you, my sweet Neridwen," said Haldir as he tenderly wiped a stray tear from her cheek.

"Ai, Haldir, I am so happy to see you," she said burying her face in his chest. Neither noticed the shocked silence that surrounded them, nor the fact that all eyes were now focussed on Legolas. Still holding Estellan, he walked over to where Neridwen and Haldir stood, bowed politely and spoke to Haldir.

"Welcome, mellon nin. I do not believe you have met Estellan," he said smiling at the stunned looks he could sense rather than see behind him. "Estellan, this is Haldir, the one your Naneth calls Adar," he said looking slyly at his friend he continued. "I suppose that makes you my son's grandadar?" Haldir could not contain his laughter, so amused was he by that notion.

"Legolas is right, Adar," said Neridwen cheekily, earning herself a surprised frown from Haldir. "Would you like to hold your grandson?" she asked, taking Estellan and placing him gently in Haldir's arms.

"Greetings, Estellan, I am pleased to make your acquaintance," he said with a note of tenderness in his voice none present, other than Neridwen, had heard before. Estellan smiled his sweet smile, and playfully grabbed a handful of pale gold hair, causing Haldir to grunt in pain as he pulled it hard. Everyone laughed and Thranduil walked up and placed a hand on Haldir's shoulder.

"You have received Estellan's approval, welcome to the family," he said. "I take it you and Haldir have settled your differences?" he asked turning to direct the question to his son, only to find him fully occupied with receiving a very passionate thank you kiss from Neridwen.

"Shall we go and join Galadriel and the others over there?" Thranduil asked Haldir in a very transparent effort to give Legolas and Neridwen a little privacy. Haldir nodded and took a seat between Galadriel and Celebrían.

"Would you like me to take Estellan?" offered Celebrían.

"No, I am quite comfortable with him, thank you," replied Haldir. "But you might like to remove his fingers from my hair," he suggested. Celebrían laughed softly and gently released the vice like grip Estellan still had on Haldir's hair.

"Does your renewed friendship with Legolas mean there will be no rivalry on the archery range?" asked Elladan, looking a little disappointed to think it might be the case.

"Absolutely not! I have no intention of letting that young Wood Elf best me if I can help it!" declared Haldir.

"I certainly hope not," said Celeborn who was seated on the other side of Galadriel. "If you lose I will be forced to sing a duet with Glorfindel at the next festival in Tirion!" he said glaring at Thranduil who was laughing so hard there were tears in his eyes. The duet, to be selected by Glorfindel, was the wager he and Celeborn had finally agreed on, after several glasses of Dorwinion had been consumed. Elladan and Elrohir were also highly amused and even Elrond had a delighted smirk on his face at the thought of the stately Lord Celeborn singing what would probably be a 'colourful' duet, with an elf lord of such infamous reputation as Glorfindel.

"Apparently Estellan does not finds the idea amusing," said Haldir as the babe began whimpering and wriggling in his arms.

"More likely he is either tired or hungry, or both," suggested Neridwen as she and Legolas came over to join those gathered around Haldir. Hearing his Naneth's voice made Estellan wriggle even more, and she quickly relieved Haldir of his burden, soothing the babe with softly spoken words. "If you will all excuse me, I will see to his hunger and put him to bed," she said. The others wished the babe sweet dreams then settled down to listen while Elrond and Glorfindel, as was their usual New Year custom, told stories of ages past.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List