Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

14. Archers and Artists

After handing Estellan over to Elisiel, Neridwen dismounted with a graceful leap, and giving her horse a quick pat and a kiss on the nose, she released him to the forest.

"Have you no kiss for me?" asked Legolas trying to make her feel guilty for ignoring him.

"Well, maybe just one," Neridwen laughed and kissed him soundly before turning her attention to Thranduil.

"Welcome home, Adar," she said throwing her arms about the elder elf's neck as she kissed his cheek. Thranduil caught her around the waist and returned the embrace.

"I saw your paintings," he said releasing her a little so that he could look into her eyes. "You have such a rare gift and I have not the words to thank you for the joy you have given me," he said as he bent to kiss her brow.

"There is no need for thank me. I will do anything within my power to make my beloved Legolas happy. He is so devoted to you, I merely gave him that which he desired, your presence at our wedding," she answered simply, her eyes speaking of the pure, deep love in her heart. Thranduil saw the same look in his son's eyes and smiled.

"No, my dear, I is you whom he desires most, of that there is no doubt," Thranduil said softly. Neridwen smiled sweetly and whispered back,

"As I do him, Adar," she replied.

"I see I am about to be ignored as well. If you will both excuse me. Elisiel, do you intend to allow me to visit with my grandson?" Thranduil called to her retreating form as he released Neridwen and followed his wife into the house.

"How are you progressing with the bed?" asked Neridwen leaning back against Legolas' chest as he encircled her waist from behind and drew her close.

"Adar had agreed to help me for there is still much to be done," he said as he gently nuzzled her neck.

"What happened to your finger?" asked Neridwen with concern, noticing the injury as she lifted his hand to her lips so that she could kiss his fingertips.

"Adar and I were talking, and I was not concentrating on what I was doing. It is nothing but a simple graze that is already healing," he answered, trailing kisses back up her neck, finally finding her sweet lips.

"And what topic of conversation was so captivating?" she asked as she turned and brushed the tip of his ear with a feather light touch of her fingernail.

"Your talent as an artist," he managed to answer, thoroughly distracted by her ministrations.

"Surely that was not enough to distract you? What else did you talk about?" she demanded, easily sensing he was keeping something from her.

"Gimli and Haldir," he replied trying to sound nonchalant.

"I thought you and Haldir had resolved those issues after Gimli's passing?" she said.

"The wound between us is merely bandaged, not healed. It seems that for some reason this year the archery contest has reopened it more than usual. I was seeking Adar's advice on how to deal with Haldir," he explained.

"In a friendly manner, I hope," she half teased, knowing they were not on friendly terms at present, but ever hopeful that would soon change. Legolas smiled, and was relieved that she was neither angry nor upset as she sometimes became when they spoke of the subject that was close to both their hearts.

"As do I, but it may not be so easy to try and offer friendship when I defeat him," he replied with his usual self-confidence in his own skills.

"As you obviously expect to," she said deliberately giving the impression that perhaps she did not have the same confidence in him, just to tease him.

"Adar favours me to win, and he has even made a wager on the outcome. Whom do you favour?" he asked, almost afraid to hear the answer.

"My favours are for you alone, my love," she said softly against his lips, answering the question she knew was in his heart, not in the words he had spoken. The passionate kiss that followed left them both breathless with desire, but before Legolas could sweep Neridwen into his arms and carry her to their bedroom, as he was sorely tempted to do, Thranduil entered the hallway and coughed loudly.

"I was going to ask you to join us in the sitting room for we have much news from Tirion, but I see you have other plans. Elisiel and I will see to Estellan. Perhaps we can talk later this evening?" he asked. With a look of mutual understanding they decided that perhaps a few hours of anticipation would only serve to increase the pleasure they would later find in each other's arms.

"We would very much like to hear your news, our plans can wait," said Legolas as he took Neridwen's hand and indicated they would join Thranduil and Elisiel in the sitting room.

To Thranduil's delighted surprise, Elisiel handed Estellan to him to watch over while she went and made them all some herb tea. When she returned her heart was filled with happiness at the scene before her. Estellan was lying on the rug watching the red and gold flames of the fire Legolas had set in the fireplace. Her son was also stretched out on the rug, lying on his stomach with his head and chest propped up as he leant on his elbows. Thranduil sat beside them, his legs crossed and his attention fully focussed on the babe.

"See how he instantly turns his head to look at me when I speak, Adar?" Legolas asked, as Estellan did exactly that. Legolas kissed his tiny fingers and they remained silent for a few moments. Estellan's attention was drawn back to the dancing flames, only to be diverted once more back to Legolas' face when he called his son's name. "Estellan, your Adar is calling," he said softly, as small bright eyes looked directly into his. "Do you know how much I love you?" he asked, gently tickling the small toes, causing the babe to smile.

"And of course you also have the good manners to acknowledge your grandsire," said Thranduil, grinning proudly as Estellan turned to look at him and grabbed his outstretched finger.

"Whilst I am certain he does know them both, I think I should refrain from pointing out that Estellan would turn his head in the direction of any sound at present. It is what babes of his age do," whispered Elisiel to Neridwen as she looked over her daughter's shoulder at the sketch she was working on. It was just a rough outline, but she had captured the three on the rug very well.

"No need to spoil their fun," agreed Neridwen as she put the sketch aside to help with the tea.

"What news of Tirion?" asked Legolas, who had declined a cup of tea in favour of remaining on the rug with his son. Thranduil had accepted, but favoured Elisiel with a look that warned there had better be only tea, and nothing else in the cup.

"The Lady Galadriel server your Adar and I tea in bed one evening," said Elisiel, smiling as her words had the desired effect of astounding the young ones. Legolas' astonishment rapidly turned to anger when he heard the reason why.

"I would have expected better of Elladan. How could he allow Aradir to take one of Lord Celeborn's bow, let alone misuse it?" he asked furious at both the poor behaviour of the elfling and the danger Thranduil had been in.

"It is hardly fair to lay the blame entirely on Elladan. His son has a mischievous nature, and as the young often do, overestimated his ability to handle the weapon. Of course, there was no excuse for him disobeying Celeborn's prohibition in the first place," added Thranduil.

"I hope he was suitably punished," said Legolas, looking at the situation entirely from the perspective of an Adar, much to Thranduil's amusement. How things change, he mused as Elisiel answered the question.

"Celeborn has said that he is not to be permitted to compete in the novice competition this year as punishment for taking the bow," she told them.

"And for injuring you?" Legolas asked Thranduil.

"I have told him he must be taught the proper skills in both use and care of the bow," he replied.

"A fitting punishment indeed," agreed Legolas. "Who is to be his tutor?"

"One qualified as an excellent archer, and who also earned a reputation as a mischief maker in his youth, although he seems to have forgotten that for the moment," replied Thranduil looking directly at his son. "I trust you will be not be too strict with Aradir?"

"You wish me to teach him? What did Elladan have to say?" asked Legolas.

"He heartily approves of both the punishment, and the tutor, as does Aradir, I might add. The elfling can hardly wait to begin," said Thranduil. "You will do it, I trust?"

"You give me little option but to agree, since the decision is already made," he said daring to subtly rebuke his Adar. "Although had I been given a choice I would have agreed. I am quite fond of Aradir and it will make a pleasant change to teach archery as a sport, rather than as a method of warfare."

"That is exactly how I thought you would react. I am sorry I did not consult you, but the situation needed to be dealt with quickly, and I knew you would be willing to undertake the task." Legolas stared in disbelief at Thranduil's words. He could not recall a time when his Adar and former King had apologised for his actions to anyone, even his son. Perhaps he was mellower now that the pressures of war and separation from Elisiel were no longer an issue, Legolas thought. Whatever the reason, it was a change he would gladly accept.

"You know me too well, Adar," he said, smiling his forgiveness. "When are these lessons to start?"

"I leave that to you. Send Elladan a message when it is convenient," he answered stifling a yawn and looking with suspicion at his empty cup.

There is no sleeping potion in it this time," laughed Elisiel. "You still owe me a massage."

        *********

Then lessons were soon organised and Legolas found that he enjoyed the time spent in Aradir's company. Elladan's son was much like his Adar in temperament, and they developed an easy friendship as the months passed by. Legolas realised it was now only a few weeks to the New Year celebrations, and he was also practicing in earnest, feeling more confident than he had for several years. He had lost the last two tournaments to Haldir, and was determined to make amends this year.

As the New Year drew closer, Legolas was perplexed by the change in attitude of his student. Aradir was as enthusiastic as ever, but there was sadness about him that Legolas could not explain. Perhaps Aradir will mention what is troubling him today; he thought as he paced the required distance from the starting position and set the practice target on its stand. He stood in front of it to make sure it was steady and unmoving, and had barely stepped aside when he heard the whistle of an arrow as it flew through the air. The flight was straight and true and, to the immense satisfaction of the young archer it hit the small red star in the centre of the target.

"I did it! I did it!" exclaimed Aradir happily, as he raced to inspect his success.

"Did what? Almost shoot me?' Legolas asked letting the child see his anger at such recklessness. "Have you listened to nothing you have been told? Wait until the area is clear before releasing your arrow. Do not let it happen again! Aside from being dangerous, it leads to instant disqualification in competitions," he added.

Aradir gulped and whispered a repentant, "I'm sorry, Legolas. I promise to be more careful next time."

"So you have said on several occasions, and I warn you to be certain this really is the last time, or I will be forced to withdraw from instructing you. Estellan is very fond of his Adar, you know," he said with the barest hint of a smile.

"I promise not to do it again, really I do! This will be my 'lucky' arrow now," said Aradir as he removed the arrow and placed it carefully in his quiver.

"You scored a direct hit with your skill, there was no luck involved. It was an excellent shot, and a just reward for all your hours of practice. I believe you will be a fine archer one day," he said reassuringly, his words eliciting a radiant smile from his student. He was willing to believe it was merely eagerness to do well on the young one's part that had caused him to forget himself, and he did not wish to dampen his young student's enthusiasm for the sport too much.

"I wish Lord Celeborn would change his mind and allow me to compete in the tournament next week," Aradir said dejectedly, glancing from under his downcast eyelashes at his tutor in attempt to elicit his sympathy. It was a tactic Elladan had often favoured when in trouble with Elrond, and Legolas smiled at his recognition of the ploy.

"Then perhaps you should ask him to reconsider," he suggested, using the same tone of voice he had often heard as an elfling from Thranduil when he was being told to do something he would rather avoid doing.

"He would probably just refuse, but if you were to ask him on my behalf he might not," the elfling said in a small, sad voice. Ai, so this was the cause of the unhappiness, the effect of Celeborn's punishment was finally being felt, and the elfling was trying to have it revoked.

"Why would I do that? It was my beloved Adar who was injured by you, and I am in no position to question your greatgrandadar's punishment. Your act of disobedience was ill conceived, but deliberate nonetheless," replied Legolas a little harshly, realising Aradir had not fully accepted his guilt, and the lesson was not as well learned as the elfling had lead others to believe.

"I said I was sorry, and besides, the whole thing happened ages ago," he said petulantly, angry that Legolas was immovable and would not intervene on his behalf.

"The whole point is that something that should never have happened did occur, and you were responsible. That is why Lord Celeborn insists that the punishment stands. Shall we continue our lesson, or would you rather return home?" he finally asked in exasperation, hoping that Estellan would not be so difficult to deal with when was this age, and promising himself that he would immediately apologise to Thranduil for behaving in a like manner when he was an elfling.

"I think the lesson is ended for the day," said Elladan as he entered the clearing. He had heard the conversation as he approached and could see that Legolas was unsure how to deal with Aradir at this point. He hugged his son as he ran to his arms shouting gleefully that he had finally hit the centre of the target for the first time without Legolas' assistance.

"Well done, but now run along and find your Naneth, I wish to speak with Legolas," he said. Aradir collected his bow and quiver and nodded his thanks to his tutor and quickly disappeared along the path to the house.

"I am sorry he was so difficult today, Legolas. He is becoming increasingly upset and angry that he will not be in the tournament, as all his friends will be," he offered in explanation for Aradir's behaviour.

"Were we ever so troublesome?" Legolas asked as he practiced a few shots to ease his tension.

"According to Adar, yes, very much so. He offers me much good advice about rearing a son, but little sympathy for his mischievous nature," he said with a grin. "I imagine Thranduil will be of the same opinion as Adar, but I will not desert you should Estellan cause you as much turmoil as Aradir does me," Elladan said placing an affectionate arm around his friend's shoulder.

"I will remember your words, thank you. Elladan, I do not wish to interfere in your son's upbringing, but Aradir asked me to speak to Celeborn on his behalf regarding the tournament," Legolas warned.

"He does not know that I have already done so, to no avail. The answer is still a definite NO," admitted Elladan with a shrug at the eyebrow Legolas raised partly in disbelief and partly in amusement. "He is my son, I do not wish to see him so upset."

"Then perhaps we should take a break and continue the lessons after the New Year?" suggested Legolas. "That way he will not have to face further upset caused by practicing when he is not going to be allowed to compete."

"That is an excellent suggestion," agreed Elladan. "It will also give you more time for your own practice, not that you really need it, of course. But I warn you, I do not wish to lose my wager with Elrohir!" he exclaimed, laughing at the frown of displeasure on his friend's brow.

"Has every Elf in Valinor placed a wager on the outcome?" he asked in mock despair.

"Adar refused to accept a bet with Lord Celeborn; if that is any consolation, but I believe you and Haldir have roughly the same number of supporters. It should be a good contest," said Elladan. Legolas replied by attacking the target with a volley of arrows in a manner reminiscent of his battles against the Urak-hai at Amon Hen.

"May I see your bow for a moment?" asked Elladan when he had emptied his quiver into the target. Legolas looked at him warily but handed the weapon over, certain his friend was up to no good. "I think you also have had enough of archery for one day. I will give this to Neridwen and instruct her not to return it to you until your mood has improved," he said walking off in the direction of the house, leaving a totally awestruck Legolas in his wake. "Come on, do not just stand there with your mouth open, there is something back at your house you should see," he called over his shoulder, leaving Legolas no choice but to self consciously close his mouth and follow, feeling as if it was Thranduil he was obeying. Elladan had obviously had much more experience as an adar than Legolas realised. Aradir must be a really trying elfling.

They arrived back at the house to find Thranduil and Elisiel in Neridwen's studio admiring her latest painting. Legolas noticed the brightness in his Adar's eyes and wondered what had caused the tears.

"Neridwen has outdone herself this time," commented Thranduil as he moved aside to allow Legolas an unhindered view of her work.

Neridwen had painted the scene she had sketched in the sitting room many months ago, and Legolas smiled as he lightly traced Estellan's sweet face with his finger. Her impression of himself lying on the rug beside his son was obviously painted with the eyes of his lover, and her memories of other times when they had forsaken their bed for the warmth of the hearth. Thranduil was as handsome and majestic as Legolas had ever remembered seeing him, but his fair features were now even more radiant as he allowed his grandson to grab his outstretched finger. As he looked more closely, Legolas could not stifle a small gasp of astonishment as he recognised that the ethereal form in the background was none other than Oropher, looking at the three on the rug and smiling proudly with love and affection at his heirs.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List