Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

13. Time For Truth

As tired as he felt, Thranduil found that he could not sleep. There was something playing on his mind, something about that painting other than the very intriguing power that allowed him to place himself in the scene as he had experienced the day before. Not wishing to disturb his wife's rest, but unable to lie still, he gently removed himself from Elisiel's arms and dressed silently. He began to walk aimlessly through the hallways of the large house, and before he realised it, he found himself once more standing before the painting in the study.

As he carefully inspected the work, he felt himself a part of the wedding scene once again, and this time he tried to take more notice of the others around the happy couple. As he looked to those standing near Neridwen, he suddenly realised what had been bothering him. The pale haired Elf who stood in place of her Adar was not Celeborn as he had thought, but Haldir. Thranduil blinked several times, but there was no mistaking the pale blonde, rather than silver hair. As the ceremony concluded, Haldir was the first to offer his congratulations to Neridwen, who allowed him to kiss her chastely on the cheek.

Thranduil could see Legolas smiling, but it was the forced smile he had often used when greeting those of whom he was not particularly fond when courtly etiquette demanded a certain level of politeness. The look Haldir favoured Legolas with in return was also rather cold and less than friendly. There was definitely something amiss between the two.

"You see something different every time you look at one of her paintings, and often it is not as pleasant an experience as the first time," said a soft voice beside him as Galadriel appeared silently as if out of nowhere.

"Yes, the truth is not always easy to see, so I have discovered. It appears to me that Legolas and Haldir are not on very good terms," he said turning to face his host. "Elrond thinks it has to do with Gimli, but Celeborn believes the rivalry is more personal."

"They are both correct to some extent, but it is not my tale to tell. Ask Legolas to explain if he will, but when you do, remember that Haldir loves Neridwen as if she were his own daughter, and that your son is experiencing feelings that are very new to him. I think it is time you offered Legolas counsel that only his Adar is qualified to give," advised Galadriel, voicing the thought that had crossed Thranduil's mind as she spoke.

"I know it is, and I will heed your advice. Elisiel and I had already planned to return home later today," he said.

"As you wish. However I cannot allow you to leave without breaking your fast. You look as if you are in need of something to eat, shall we join the others?" she asked, slipping her arm through his as she lead him to the gazebo in the garden where the morning meal was being served.

        ***********

Legolas frowned slightly as he heard the rhythmical sound of hoof beats approaching along the barely visible path to his home. He wondered why Neridwen was returning so soon from visiting her friends in the nearby village, and he quickly put aside his wood carving tools and hurried outside to see if all was well.

"Adar! Naneth!" he declared in surprise as his parents rode into view. "Welcome home. I did not expect to see you return so soon," he added as he offered Elisiel his hand to steady her as she dismounted. She rewarded him with a quick embrace and a kiss on the cheek.

"I am afraid your Adar has had his fill of the grandeur of Tirion, and the opulence of Galadriel's home," she said lightly. "I find the natural beauty of the trees more appealing as well," Legolas confided in her. "Aragorn often complained that I was too seldom seen in his city."

"Of course, our return had nothing to do with the fact that it has been several days since you last held your grandson, I suppose?" teased Thranduil.

"Of course not," she said with a haughty shake of her head and a smile that emphasised the deliberate lie that was easily detected by both her husband and son. "Anyway, where is my sweet little Estellan?"

"Neridwen is visiting friends in the village and has taken him with her," said Legolas.

"And what were you doing?" asked Thranduil just now noticing that his son's shirt sleeves were rolled up and his hair was tied back in a ponytail.

"I am making a bed for Estellan, and I was working on the bed head," he said, self consciously removing the wood shaving that had caught in his hair. "Would you care to come and see how the work is progressing?" he asked Thranduil.

"I would be most interested; it is too long since I practiced my own wood carving skills. Perhaps I can assist?" he suggested as Legolas made to return to his small workshop.

"Well, I am going to take a nice, hot bath. It has been a long journey, and all my muscles are complaining about the many hours I have spent on horseback. We left yesterday afternoon and only stopped once briefly for a few hours sleep. I am now exhausted!" declared Elisiel as she turned towards the house.

"Neridwen will not be back before sunset, and I will be well occupied with my work for the rest of the day," commented Legolas in a tone of voice that suggested to Thranduil that perhaps he would prefer to join Elisiel rather than his son. Thranduil was totally taken aback by the sudden realisation that their relationship had subtly changed. In some ways they were now equals, and Legolas was no longer merely his son, but also a husband, a lover and an Adar as he was himself.

"How very considerate of you to mention that, Legolas, but I am of a mind to spend some time with you at present. I can always give your Naneth's sore muscles a massage later," he said with a wink and a smile to indicate his willingness to accept this more intimate level of conversation with his son. Legolas returned the smile and nodded in understanding as he led Thranduil to the small area he called his workshop.

It was really more of a tent than a building, for the roof was simply a large piece of fabric, woven to be weatherproof after the fashion of elvish travel garb which was suspended between the limbs of a small circle of trees. There was a small workbench on which his current project lay, held in place by several metal vices and on the floor beside the bench was a cabinet that displayed tools for both woodwork and stone carving.

"Is not Estellan still too young for a bed rather than a crib?" Thranduil asked he inspected the piece of wood that would be carved into the bed head. There was an elegant design drawn on it and Legolas had only just begun carving the interweaving leaves and branches that were to form the border. Thranduil was impressed with his work so far, and offered his compliments on the design.

"You flatter me, Adar. You know full well that my skill as an artist is only average at best. The design is Neridwen's, she is extremely talented, you know," he said proudly.

"Just as an artist?" asked Thranduil casually, eliciting a blush from his son as he caught the innuendo, as his Adar had intended him to.

"No, in many other ways as well, but it was her painting that I was referring to in this instance," replied Legolas, regaining his composure.

"Yes, I saw her some of her work at Galadriel's house," commented Thranduil, taking the opportunity to broach the subject of both the paintings, and hopefully, Haldir. "Her paintings have a realism that I have never before experienced, and Celeborn tells me that Neridwen's Naneth was also a very talented artist. I suppose she has inherited the ability from her?" he mused.

"I am told her work was always of a high standard, but it was not until she came to Valinor that the true nature of her talent was revealed. The wedding portrait and the murals at the Lady Galadriel's home are by far the most 'realistic' pictures she has painted, and we both believe that the effect is enhanced by the Lady herself," explained Legolas.

"I would also consider that to be likely, the lovely Galadriel has many hidden talents herself," responded Thranduil, noticing that Legolas was having difficulty with a particularly elaborate section of leaves and runes that were being carved to promote sweet dreams for the occupier of the bed. "Let me help you with that, Legolas," he said, taking the small file and expertly following the design.

"I see you remember much, Adar," said Legolas. "Would you care to help me finish the whole bed? Neridwen has thoughts of making a matching dresser and desk once it is finished, and your expertise would make the task much easier, not to mention that I would enjoy your company," he added with genuine affection in his voice.

"I would be delighted to assist in making furniture for my grandson," replied Thranduil. They worked in silence for a while, and Thranduil was loath to spoil the camaraderie by mentioning Haldir. He was surprised when Legolas brought up the subject himself.

"Did Lord Celeborn tell you anything else about Neridwen's past?" he asked curiously.

"He told me the whole sad tale, including Haldir's role in her rescue," answered Thranduil, carefully studying Legolas' face for his reaction. He saw a slight clenching of his jaw, and a flash of an unnamed emotion in his son's eyes that vanished as quickly as it had appeared. So there was some substance to the gossip regarding these two. I should have asked Glorfindel for he no doubt has all the answers, thought Thranduil.

"Neridwen is very fond of Haldir," said Legolas, pressing a little too hard on the wood, causing the file to slip and graze his finger.

"And you are not, I take it," said Thranduil, with one eyebrow raised as he gently took the tool and the wood from his son and inspected the minor injury.

"Haldir was one of the Elves who questioned Gimli's right to be here, and they were constantly at war. He often insulted my dear friend in my hearing, and did not approve of Neridwen's fondness for him either." Legolas said by way of explanation.

"I am certain Gloin's son could well take care of himself," commented Thranduil.

"Ai, and I often had to threaten to hide his axe when Haldir was in the vicinity," said Legolas with a smile.

"So what happened on your wedding day to cause such animosity between you two?" asked Thranduil.

"He declared that a Dwarf had no right to attend such a sacred elven ceremony, and that if Gimli attended, he would refuse to stand with Neridwen," said Legolas, anger in his voice as he recalled the incident. "Fortunately Neridwen did not hear that threat, but Lord Celeborn did, and he spoke privately with him, after which Haldir apologised to both Gimli and myself."

"A grudging apology, I presume, judging by the looks you two exchanged," guessed Thranduil.

"Yes, but I was determined not to let him spoil our day. I was so relived that Neridwen knew nothing of the incident, as was Haldir that we agreed to let it go no further. It was really his attitude to Gimli I disliked, not Haldir himself. I actually have a great deal of respect for him, and for Neridwen's sake we are always civil to each other in her presence, but."

"You do not wish to share her love with him," said Thranduil, completing the thought for him. "Do you really believe that is what you are doing?"

"It seems so at times," he answered uncertainly.

"Yes, that was how I felt about Elisiel when were first wed," admitted Thranduil, much to his son's surprise. "Even back then she was very fond of Glorfindel, and I admit I was jealous. What I did not fully understand at the time was that none but she and I could share the music written by the marriage of our hearts, spirits, and bodies. The love we share is ours alone. Elisiel and Glorfindel often shamelessly flirt in my presence, and I know she adores him, but I also know that it will forever be only my arms, my love, and my bed that she wishes to share. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I think so. Naneth and Glorfindel are rather like Arwen and I were," he said, recalling the many times they had caused raised eyebrows in Aragorn's court with their open display of affection for each other. Legolas had loved Arwen, but as a friend from childhood and the wife of his very close friend, neither had ever wanted it to be anything more. "So, you are telling me that here is also a place for the love we have for our friends, a place that takes nothing away from what Neridwen and I share?"

"Exactly, but it must also be said that in this case, Haldir thinks of her as his daughter, and even though she is not of his blood, that is still a very strong bond. I saw that he stood as her Adar at your wedding, and I am glad you realise how important he is to her, just as your Naneth and I are to you. There is a also a special place in our hearts for our beloved son, for you are, after all, the embodiment of the love we have for each other," he said looking into Legolas' eyes with undisguised affection. "Is it not so with Estellan?"

"Very much so," agreed Legolas with a fondness in his voice. "I am glad we had this conversation, Adar. I really needed to hear your words, and you have given me a new perspective on my relationship with both Neridwen and Haldir."

"Good, then will you rid yourself of this jealousy nonsense and keep your rivalry with Haldir confined to the archery range?" asked Thranduil. "I would not like to think your ill feelings were the cause of another loss." Legolas nodded then glared sternly at Thranduil as he realised there was a challenge in his words.

"Adar! You have made a wager with someone that I will win!" Legolas declared, pretending to be outraged, but burning with pride at his Adar's confidence in his skills. "Who is it? What are the stakes?"

"Is that Neridwen I see riding towards the house?" asked Thranduil as he silently thanked the Valar for the distraction. "I suddenly find I am anxious to see my grandson. Hurry along Legolas, before your Naneth claims him for herself," he said, causing his son to laugh when Elisiel easily arrived first to take charge of Estellan.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List