Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

7.   A Day of Rest

"It appears that Estellan has fallen under the spell of Lord Glorfindel's lullaby," said Legolas as he glanced over Neridwen's shoulder to where the Elf Lord was sitting, the small sleeping bundle cradled in his arms.

"Yes, and as much as I am enjoying our dance, I am afraid I must see to our son and put him to bed," said Neridwen as they walked over to join Glorfindel.

"I assume you have come for Estellan?" he asked the young parents, as he skilfully handed the babe to Legolas without causing the elfling to so much as wriggle in his sleep. "And I believe your lovely wife owes me a dance. Come Neridwen, Estellan's adar can put him to bed, the music is calling us!' he exclaimed softly so as not to awaken Estellan. Without waiting for an answer, he took Neridwen by the hand and led her towards to the bonfire around which the Elves were dancing.

Legolas settled his son in the crib that he had taken from the ship earlier that day, and sat beside the babe watching contentedly as Neridwen and Glorfindel twirled gaily amongst the other merrymakers.

"I see Neridwen has fallen under our friend's charms already," commented Elrond to Thranduil as they also watched the elegant movement of the golden haired Elf Lord as he danced.

"He exudes such an air of majesty and grace, it is no surprise that all the ladies find him so charming. Is that not so?" he asked, directing his question to Elisiel and Celebrían who exchanged a smile at the thinly veiled teasing. Their husbands were both well aware of their adoration for Glorfindel.

"We certainly do," affirmed Celebrían.

"Yes," agreed Elisiel. "But I wonder why it is that he has not yet found someone to share his heart song? I would wish him such joy as Thranduil and I share," she added resting her head on her husband's shoulder as he took her in his arms.

"Perhaps he will, one day," said Elrond. "But do not despair, I know how much he enjoys just being his charming self to all."

"I heard that, Elrond," said Glorfindel as he and Neridwen danced up to the group. "I am afraid I have tired my young partner," he said with a bow Neridwen.

"I am not tired, my lord," she scoffed. "It is you who desired another partner."

"I must not ruin my reputation by dancing with only one, fair though you are, my sweet Neridwen. There are still many who are eagerly awaiting me to partner them. Celebrían?" he asked, holding out his hand and smiling brilliantly at Elrond's wife.

"It would be my pleasure, as always, Glorfindel," she answered, taking the proffered hand and quickly kissing her husband's cheek as she walked past him to dance with the charming Elf Lord.

"Since you have not tired of dancing, and I see Legolas is well occupied, perhaps you would do me the honour of being my partner?" asked Elrond bowing gallantly to Neridwen who accepted with a nod and a smile.

With the wordless communication of lovers, and by mutual consent, Thranduil and Elisiel also returned to the dance area.

No one was really surprised to find that, by the time the revelry ended in the early hours before dawn, and Legolas and his guests had returned to his house to retire, Glorfindel had managed to dance more than once with all the ladies present.

        ***********

"Adar? Naneth? Are you awake?" Legolas called softly through the closed door of his parent's bedchamber much later that same day.

Thranduil woke quickly, a habit he had learned as a young warrior, and gently roused Elisiel with a kiss.

"Come in. Legolas," he called as he sat propped up against the pillows, his wife nestling comfortably against his chest.

"I hope I did not disturb you?" he asked as he kissed his Naneth before settling on the end of the bed as he had often done when he wanted to speak to his parents before Elisiel had answered the call of the sea. Although he was now much older, he found that the intimacy of the moment still filled his heart with joy.

"Is there something wrong?" asked Elisiel, her eyes telling him that she too remembered.

"No, Neridwen and Estellan are still asleep, and I just wanted to make sure Adar enjoyed the celebration last night," he said.

"Very much so, and I thank you both for such a wonderful welcome. I was very pleased to see so many of my friends from Eryn Lasgalen, as well as Elrond and Glorfindel, of course," replied Thranduil.

"I am pleased to hear that," said Legolas. "I am going into the woods to practice shooting shortly, would you like me to bring you some tea before I go?" He smiled knowingly at the look that passed between his parents, tea was obviously the last thing on their minds at present.

"No thank you," said Elisiel. "Would you like me to tell Neridwen where to find you when she awakens?"

"Yes, and you could also tell Lady Celebrían that I have not forgotten about our plans," replied Legolas as he stood to take his leave.

"Now, my lady, since you do not require tea, perhaps you would like to show me what you do need?" whispered Thranduil as Legolas closed the door behind him.

"It would be my pleasure," responded Elisiel.

        ********

Later that afternoon, Thranduil found Legolas still at the practice range he had set up in the woods near his home.

"I see you are as skilful an archer as ever but I would have thought there was no need for archery here in Valinor," said Thranduil as he watched Legolas score direct hits on all the targets.

"There is no need for archery as a defence, of course, but there are often competitions. Many Elves such as myself still find delight in matching our prowess with the bow against others," explained Legolas, never missing a target all the while he spoke.

"Ai, friendly rivalry rather than warfare. I understand. Do you win many of these tournaments?"

"Adar there are many skilled archers here, but I must admit that those from Lothlórien and our Woodland realms certainly perform very well," said Legolas. "We who have only recently come from a War have a certain edge over the others who have not fired on enemies for millennia."

"Yes. I can see that would be so, but you did not answer my question," said Thranduil as he helped his son collect his arrows.

"I have won several," he answered.

"And who is your main rival? Do I know him?" asked Thranduil sensing a little animosity amongst the façade of friendly rivalry.

"Yes, he is Haldir of Lothlórien. Currently he has won one more than I, but I intend to rectify that at the next tournament," he stated confidently.

"I know you will, and I will be there to cheer you to victory," said Thranduil, smiling as he clasped his son's shoulder. "However, I came to tell you that Elrond and Glorfindel have gone back to the ship to collect the books, for they are both very interested in reading Faramir's versions of the history and lore they contain. Also I should warn you that if you wish to remain in Celebrían’s good graces, perhaps you should return now. Apparently she is waiting for your company for some reason."

"I will heed your excellent advice, Adar," he replied, definitely not wishing to cause the Lady Celebrían any upset, he was far too fond of her for that.

No sooner had they entered the family room where his wife and Naneth were also to be found, than Celebrian took Legolas by the arm and led him to the desk on which she had placed Faramir's sketchbook.

"I apologise for the delay, my lady, but I did not wish to disturb your rest," he said politely.

"There is no need to apologise, Legolas. You were not to know that I could not sleep in my eagerness to take possession of these lovely sketches that you are giving Elrond and I. I should apologise to you, Thranduil for I spoke rather sharply to you when I sent you in search of your son. I should have asked you, rather than demanded," she said.

"I understand, Celebrían. The matter is forgotten already," he replied graciously. "I think I hear Estellan, shall I take a turn at settling him down?" he asked Neridwen.

"If you wish, but he is not in need of being nursed at present, I suspect he is just wet," she replied, giving Thranduil a chance to change his mind.

"I believe I remember how to deal with a wet elfling," he answered, his merry laughter filling the room as he headed down the hallway to the nursery.

"Greetings, grandson," said Thranduil as he quickly discovered Neridwen had been correct. His memory was not quite as good as he had intimated, but he finally managed to perform the task of changing the wet elfling. He picked the babe up and began to rock him gently back to sleep. Estellan did not settle until he had almost gleefully, to Thranduil's way of thinking, grabbed a hold of his grandsire's golden locks.

"Mischievous elfling," muttered Thranduil as he released the painful hold on his hair.  "That is what come of letting Glorfindel sing Noldor nonsense to you," he added as he captured the dangerous little hands loosely in the blanket he wrapped around the babe. He easily remembered that method of dealing with Legolas's hair pulling at that age. "Now, I think a nice Silvan lullaby is what is called for to settle you," he said, pausing for a moment to recall the words of the song he had often heard Elisiel singing to Legolas.

Legolas and Elisiel smiled as they recognised the lullaby they heard the beloved voice was softly singing in the nursery. He turned his attention back to Celebrían.

"As I said last night, I would like to keep the drawings of Gimli, Aragorn and I." he began as they spent the next several hours going through the drawings, selecting the one he wished to keep for himself and answering Celebrían's many questions about the others.

Elisiel and Neridwen also listened in fascination as he recalled a story to tell about each of the pictures. Sometimes the tale was humorous, as when they heard how Aragorn had accidentally pushed Gimli into the river. Other times the story was simply heart-warming; Arwen's daughters bringing the shipbuilders a picnic lunch; Eldarion and Legolas singing elvish songs as they worked or Aragorn and Arwen stealing a few moments for a kiss. Celebrían's eyes filled with tears, whether of joy or sadness, not even she could distinguish, but when they had finished sorting the sketches, she carefully put hers into the leather folder and hugged Legolas soundly.

"I am glad you were there for them, and for me," she said as she kissed his cheek.

"So am I," answered Legolas.

        *********

"These writings are very interesting," said Glorfindel looking up from the book he was reading. He and Elrond had initially intended merely to carry the books back to the house, but the serenity of the gently rocking ship and the relaxing sound of the waves lapping against the hull proved irresistible. They settled themselves comfortably on some pillows, selected a book each and sipped on the wine Glorfindel poured as they read.

"Yes, I believe Celeborn would also like to read these. I think I will take some to Tirion with me next time we visit," replied Elrond.

"It should be an interesting visit all round," said Glorfindel. "I believe Celeborn invited Thranduil and Elisiel to accompany you, and they have agreed to do so?"

"Indeed they have," replied Elrond wondering whether, since their meeting after the downfall of Dol Guldur, Thranduil and Celeborn had really finally begun to deal with their estrangement.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List