Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

6. Song and Dance

The melodic notes of a lively Woodland dance tune invaded the melancholy silence surrounding Elrond's sombre group, causing an exchange of smiles as the joyful music drifted across the cove to be greeted with applause and laughter by the merrymakers on the beach who had been busily enjoying the feast and were now ready to dance the night away. Elisiel looked longingly towards them and sighed. This particular dance was one that was highly favoured by the Wood elves, and it held a special significance for herself and Thranduil. It was the music they had danced to at their betrothal. It had been so long since they had danced beneath the stars, and the thought of finally being able to do so once more was very appealing. Apparently Thranduil thought so as well.

"If you will excuse us, Elisiel and I would like to join in the dancing," he said taking his wife's hand as she happily nodded acceptance of the offer.

"Now that is an excellent idea, the music is very inviting," said Glorfindel, turning his attention to Elisiel. "Would you not rather dance with me instead, Elisiel? I make a much better dance partner than my friend there," he asked with a mischievous light gleaming in his eyes as he inclined his head towards Thranduil, who responded with an exasperated, "Humph!"

"It is certainly a difficult decision to make," replied Elisiel joining in the spirit of the jest as she looked from one to the other as if pretending to be comparing their relative merits as partners. "I will think on it as we walk back to the beach," she said, linking arms with her prospective partners as the threesome headed towards the gangplank that was located near the centre of the ship.

Legolas turned to follow, for he knew Neridwen would be eager to join in as well.

"I have a request to make of you, Legolas. Will you stay a moment?" asked Elrond. The younger Elf nodded and resumed his seat wondering what his elder required of him. Elrond did not continue immediately, but took his wife's hand as he addressed her first.

"Do you wish to dance, Celebrķan?" asked Elrond more out of a sense of duty than a desire to dance himself. He could sense that she was still in a sombre mood, and was not surprised when she refused.

"No, I would like to spend some more time looking at the sketches," she said spreading several of the drawings onto the vacated benches so that she could see all of Arwen's family at once. "It pleases me to be able to see how happy my Arwen was, and how much she loved Aragorn. They are truly wonderful pictures. You are very fortunate that have them," she said wistfully to Legolas.

"Will you allow my lady wife to borrow the sketch book from time to time?" asked Elrond. A simple request and one that Legolas was more than willing to grant.

"You will not need to borrow it, Lady Celebrķan, for it is my wish that you and Lord Elrond accept the drawings as a gift," he said, smiling at the range of emotions that crossed their faces- surprise at the offer; joy at being able to keep the sketches and finally disappointment at the realisation that such generosity must be refused.

"We thank you Legolas, but we cannot accept an offer that is far too generous. I know that many of these pictures have great sentimental value to you," said Elrond, deeply touched by the offer nonetheless.

Through their mutual grief at the passing of Aragorn, Elrond and Legolas had developed a rapport in the early years after the Wood Elf had arrived at Valinor. In Thranduil's absence, Elrond had provided his friend's son with the advice and comfort that he thought his Adar would have offered. In turn, Legolas had willingly answered questions about the rule of Elessar and the progress of the restoration of the rule of Men that he had observed over the years. Arwen's name was rarely mentioned, and not wishing to cause the elder Elf any pain, Legolas had respected his privacy in the matter of his daughter.

Such was the bond that had grown between the two Elves, that Legolas was able to sense the final reluctance on Elrond's part to accept the gift, and he explained his reasons for the offer.

"Yes, all the drawings hold sentimental value to some extent, but I find that it is the ones featuring Gimli and Aragorn that I most covet, and those I would keep for myself. I now understand that such reminders, painful though they may be, of the people who have touched my life are a wonderful treasure. Do not forget that I spent many years in the company of Aragorn and Arwen and their children and I have my own memories of those days on which to draw. I think it would be selfish of me to keep the sketches that depict a part of your family history. I believe it should really be in your possession, not only for you and the Lady Celebrķan to enjoy, but also for your sons and their children," he said. Legolas knew that Elladan and Elrohir missed their sister, but they had stayed in Middle-earth for longer than their Adar, and they had often had news from Gondor. Their parting from Arwen had held the sadness, but not the bitterness of Elrond's last moments with her.

"Then we would be honoured to accept the gift," said Elrond with a small bow.

"Thank you so much, dear Legolas," added Celebrķan. The bright smile returning to Celebrķan's eyes, and the warm embrace she drew him into was more than enough thanks, but Legolas added one other condition.

"In order to thank me properly, I ask that the Lady Celebrķan join me for a dance," he demanded with a smile and a gracious bow. Elrond laughed out loud at the cheek of his young friend.

"You have been spending far too much time with Glorfindel, that is something I would expect him to say," teased Elrond who was pleased to see that Legolas' attempt to cheer Celebrķan was working.

"I would be delighted," she answered, sealing her promise by kissing him on the cheek. "But first you should do your duty by your lovely young wife. I am certain Neridwen is eagerly awaiting her favourite dance partner."

                                                 ********

As Glorfindel, Thranduil and Elisiel approached the bonfire around which the Wood Elves were dancing, he asked Elisiel for her decision.

"My dear Glorfindel, as much as I adore you, I am afraid that my heart leaves me no choice but to chose my beloved Thranduil as my partner. I hope you understand," said Elisiel with mock seriousness as they reached the beach. "I will, however dance with you later, if you wish."

"It will be my pleasure," replied Glorfindel, not offended in the least by what he knew had been a foregone conclusion.

The once King and his Queen were heartily welcomed to lead the dance by their friends, and were soon twirling gaily amongst them as if they had always done so, all thoughts of past sorrows forgotten in the delight of the celebration.

"My Lord Glorfindel, have you seen Legolas anywhere?" asked Neridwen as she stood beside him holding her son and watching the joyous scene before her.

"He is still speaking with Elrond, but I am certain he will be here presently," answered Glorfindel as he played with Estellan's fingers. "Would you like me to take charge of the babe for a while so that you can join in the fun?" he offered graciously.

"Are you not going to dance?" she asked politely.

"Later. I already have two partners awaiting my charms, perhaps I can add you to my list?" he asked as he gently cradled Estellan in his arms.

"Of course, I would be honoured," she replied. "Ai, here comes Legolas. Are you sure you do not mind taking care of Estellan for a while?"

"Go and make that husband of yours dance with you," he said. "It is about time I made myself known to your son."

Neridwen needed no further prompting, and soon she and Legolas were gaily twirling around the bonfire as they followed the intricate steps of the dance. Although he could barely take his eyes from Neridwen's, Legolas managed to steal an occasional glance at his parents, and it filled him with joy to see how radiantly happy they were together.

"Apparently Elisiel chose Thranduil," laughed Celebrķan as she accepted Elrond's offer to dance. "But I cannot see Glorfindel, I wonder where he is?" she asked as she tried to find the golden haired elf lord.

"I see him, he is sitting over there on that rocky outcrop near the water," said Elrond, turning Celebrķan so that she could see their friend. "It seems he has taken on the task of nurse maid."

"He has always been fond of children, he would make a wonderful Adar," commented Celebrķan as they moved further towards the edge of the dance circle.

"On occasion his behaviour had lead me to believe that he is but an elfling himself," said Elrond with a hint of sarcasm laced with amusement at his recollection of some of the elf lord's past antics.

"But he also offers you the benefit of his wisdom, and his friendship," answered Celebrķan in Glorfindel's defence.

"And it is always much appreciated, as you well know. Shall we go and see if he needs any help?" asked Elrond.

"He seems to be handling the responsibility quite well, let us just enjoy the music a little longer," she answered as she tightened her arms around her husband.

"Whatever makes you happy, my beloved," Elrond whispered into her ear before seeking her lips for a kiss that spoke eloquently of the love they shared.

Glorfindel watched the happy couples for a few moments until his attention was rudely drawn back to the babe in his arms as Estellan gleefully grabbed a handful of his hair and pulled hard.

"Ouch!" exclaimed Glorfindel, smiling at Estellan as he carefully untangled his hair from the small fingers. "So you are already learning to be mischievous like your Adar? Do not tell anyone, but I heartily approve!" he exclaimed laughing at the thought. Estellan merely gazed into the brightly shining eyes, and yawned. "Either you find me boring, or you are sleepy," said Glorfindel. "I am certain I am not in the least bit boring, so it must be the latter. Would you like me to sing you to sleep?" he asked. Estellan yawned again and rubbed his eyes tiredly, and Glorfindel decided that was an affirmative response so he settled the child comfortably in his arms and began to sing.

The sound of his sweet voice drifted over to the dancers and Elrond looked startled as he recognised the song as one that had been a favourite of his beloved High King, Gil-galad.

"Do you hear the song he is singing to my grandson? Sometimes his just goes too far!" exclaimed Thranduil as he and Elisiel danced up to where Elrond and Celebrķan were now just standing still, mesmerised by the glories voice singing to the babe.

"It is a well-known ballad here in Valinor," offered Elrond, wondering what had possessed Glorfindel to select a Noldor song as a lullaby for a son of the House of Oropher. A very perverse sense of humour, he decided.

"I imagine it would be, and to be honest, although the song does not appeal to me, I admit I enjoy hearing such a beautiful voice singing it," replied Thranduil, causing all three to stare at him in disbelief at his ready acceptance of what would seem to be an insult.

Nonetheless they were all rather relieved when the song finished, to be followed by the hauntingly beautiful sound of a Woodland lullaby.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List