Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

White Sands, Warm Hearts  by jenolas

8. On To Elrond's Home

Elrond, Celebrían and Glorfindel spent several more pleasant days as guests in Legolas' forest home before they were ready to return to Alqualondë. On the eve of their departure, Elrond decided to take a walk around the glade that contained Gimli's memorial, stopping briefly before the headstone to pay his respects to the departed Elf-friend. Thranduil had accompanied him and his rather pensive mood lead Elrond to wonder if his friend had decided against accompanying him to Tirion.

"Once we reach my home, we intend to stay only a few days before continuing on to Tirion. Celebrían is anxious to show Faramir's drawings to the rest of the family," Elrond explained as they resumed their stroll. "You have not had a change of heart, I hope?"

"Not at all. I am curious to see the legendary city on the hill, and I have some matters to discuss with Celeborn. Besides, I am sure a few days amongst the Noldor will cause me no harm," he joked, causing Elrond to smile.

"Not unless you manage to insult Galadriel," replied Elrond dryly. Thranduil was not certain whether the words were meant in jest or not, and looked at him through eyes that had narrowed in wariness.

"Glorfindel expects the occasional insult from me, and he is aggravating enough at times that I am glad to oblige, but we remain friends. Do not assume me to be arrogant, nor that I am likely to deliberately offend my hosts. After all, Celeborn and I came to an amicable arrangement regarding the division of Mirkwood after the downfall of Dol Guldur, and while I am still in accord with my Adar's opinions on many issues, I freely admit that although Galadriel is of Noldor blood, I have always had a measure of respect for her."

"And you also find her a little intimidating, as we all do, I should think," commented Elrond.

" 'As we all do?' Even Glorfindel?" asked Thranduil his raised eyebrow emphasising that he found it difficult to believe anything or any Elf would frighten Glorfindel.

"I have never asked him, but I assume so," said Elrond with a slight shrug.

"Asked me what?" queried the subject of their curiosity as he walked nonchalantly up to join them.

"Do you find the Lady Galadriel to be intimidating?" asked Thranduil. Both he and Elrond waited expectantly for an answer.

"Not at all, why should I?" he asked casually in reply, ignoring the looks of doubt on his friend's faces.

"No reason, we were just wondering," answered Thranduil directing a smug look at Elrond.

"Were you looking for us for any particular reason?" asked Elrond curiously, since Glorfindel had earlier declined the offer to accompany his friends to the glade claiming he had something important to do elsewhere.

"As a matter of fact, yes. I came to tell you that I have spoken with the horses that live nearby in the forest and five of them are willing to bear us to Tirion. They were expecting our summons and so will be here in the morning."

"Excellent! Then shall we leave at first light? The ride to my home on the other side of Alqualondë takes us through some beautiful scenery that I find is best appreciated as Anor is still rising," said Elrond.

"I look forward to seeing it," said Thranduil.

"By the way, I saw Legolas practicing his archery earlier this afternoon," commented Glorfindel as the three friends continued their walk. "I assume he is refining his skills for the upcoming tournament?"

"Yes, he seems quite determined to defeat Haldir and even their number of competition wins," answered Thranduil. "I sense there is a deeper issue between them than simply who is the best archer. He was not very forthcoming on the subject, do either of you know the cause?"

"I believe it has something to do with Gimli," answered Elrond.

"I see," said Thranduil, looking thoughtful. He was glad he had not pursued the subject with his son, and decided he would not speak of it further unless Legolas wished to do so.

"Legolas is definitely the favourite to win this tournament amongst those making wagers on the outcome," declared Glorfindel, causing Thranduil to smile. Neither he nor Elrond were surprised to hear that information coming from their friend.

"And I believe Elladan has made a private wager with Elrohir as well," commented Elrond.

"It will certainly be interesting to see the terms of that wager, for I know that Elrohir favours Haldir to win," laughed Glorfindel trying to imagine what price the losing twin would have to pay. They may be adars themselves now, but it suited Glorfindel's sense of humour to know that they still practiced the occasional bout of mischief making against each other, and oftentimes Legolas as well.

"So when is this very interesting tournament to take place?" asked Thranduil, realising he had not asked his son for the information.

"In a few month's time. It is to be part of the New Year celebration," answered Glorfindel.

        ********

The early morning dew hung heavily on the leaves, and there was a slight tang of sea spray in the cool air as the travellers took their leave of their hosts. The trees softly whispered 'farewell, safe journey' as he passed by, reminding Thranduil very much of his beloved woodland realm.

"The trees have already grown fond of you, it would seem," commented Elrond who had also heard their voices. "No wonder Legolas chose to live in this part of the forest, it is very like his home in both Eryn Lasgalen and Ithilien."

Thranduil had to admit that Elrond's description of the scenery was vastly understated as they rode at a leisurely pace through the forest towards the shores of the Bay of Eldamar. The horses that had agreed to bear their elvish friends on their journey were in no hurry to reach any destination, and ambled slowly towards the haven of Alqualondë, allowing Thranduil plenty of time to enjoy the magnificence before him.

They paused on a small hill above the Bay and watched as the sunlight glittered on the waves as they ceaselessly caressed the pearly white sands of the shore, and caused the numerous white swan ships that filled the harbour to glow radiantly.

"Cirdan's ships are both elegant and beautifully crafted, are they not?" asked Elrond of no one in particular.

"They certainly are and although the grey ship in the cove behind us is very primitive in comparison, it is still quite an achievement for the one time shipwrights who built it," said Thranduil proudly as they began the gentle descent towards the harbour.

The path of their journey followed the curve of the bay southwards and finally passed through the outskirts of the city, after which it began to climb again into the foothills that would eventually become the Pelóri Mountains. Thranduil was not surprised to find that Elrond had chosen to build his home in a small river valley, nor was he surprised to note that, except for its smaller size, the single dwelling could easily have been mistaken for Elrond and Celebrían's former home at Imladris.

"I see I am not the only one who has fond memories of Middle-earth," commented Thranduil as they rode through the elaborately carved stone archway that formed the gate. The fine craftsmanship of the intricate carvings identified them as being the work of Gimli.

"That is really not so surprising when you consider that we were there a good many centuries, and that we and our families were born raised there," said Elrond.

"I find I miss the waterfalls," said Glorfindel wistfully. "Fortunately there is a small one that can be seen from the balcony outside the library, and though it is some distance away, the sound of the cascading water can still be heard."

"I think it is even lovelier than the home we left behind, especially when my sons and our grandchildren are visiting," said Celebrían as she allowed Elrond to help her dismount, whispering a word of thanks into her horse's ear as he did so. The others did likewise, and the five beasts galloped off in the direction Glorfindel had indicated there was a small stream and sweet grass to be found.

That evening as a soft rain fell, Thranduil and Elisiel joined the others in Elrond's library, which indeed was a replica of the one in Imladris, and to everyone's delight, the room was soon filled with the hauntingly beautiful music of the harp Glorfindel played as he sang. Both Elrond and Thranduil were relieved when their friend refrained from singing anything of Noldor origin.

"If I were you, Elrond, I would be more concerned about the possibility that Glorfindel might cause an upset in Tirion, rather than worrying about me," said Thranduil as their golden haired friend sang a song of love to the ladies, both of whom willingly favoured him with a kiss on the cheek when the song called for it.

"We know he has no intention of making advances to our wives, but others who do not know him may not realise it until it is too late," he warned.

"Ai, Thranduil! I thank you for your concern, and should I find myself in such trouble I will be sure to call upon you to rescue me," laughed Glorfindel.

"Then we would both be out of favour!" exclaimed Thranduil totally unconcerned at such an outcome.

"I trust neither of those situations will arise," declared Elrond, the scowl on his face telling them that he was not at all amused.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List