Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Ch 11 Ready or not

It was dawn, Elrond’s favorite time to awake and walk in the gardens. All was hushed; the night creatures were seeking their beds, while creatures of the day were just starting to stir.

He kept thinking of Estel’s rather startling announcement of knowing a way into Imladris. He had helped build Rivendell, therefore, if there were a way he would know, wouldn’t he?

He smiled as he remembered the terms of the wager, secretly hoping Estel would win through. He would never admit it, however. He was rather surprised when the three decided not to have anyone else join them. After a moment’s reflection, he realized that Estel was correct. It would be easier with only three of them. Of course, it was three against everyone else, but Estel and Thranduil merely shrugged, while Legolas smiled.

Suddenly, Elrond saw his foster son exit the hall. Estel saw his father and joined him. “ Good morning,” said Elrond, “Are you ready?”

Estel smiled, and replied “Good morning, Adar. Aye, I believe everything is in readiness.” Elrond noticed the sparkle in Estel’s eyes as he answered. “We will be leaving shortly.”

Estel turned to Elrond and said quietly, “Hannon le, Ada, for giving me this opportunity to test myself.” With that, he impulsively threw his arms around his foster father, who returned the hug.

“Hannon le, ion nin. You have brought joy and laughter into this valley. Go now, and do your best! Be safe.”

They drew apart, and Estel smiled as he replied, "Hannon le, Adar.” He turned and walked towards the stables where Thranduil and Legolas were waiting with the horses.

After they ridden for a time, Thranduil asked Estel, “Will you be able to find the place again?”

“Aye, Your Majesty. I know precisely where it is. However, the guards will be watching for us. Therefore, we should let the horses loose after we ride for awhile,” said Estel.

“Excellent idea, mellon nin. Where will we let them loose?” asked Legolas.

Thranduil spoke up. “May I make a suggestion?”

“Please do, Adar,” replied Legolas. Estel nodded.

“Hannon le. I believe we should let them loose now. We are far enough away now so that the guards will see only the horses, and not us. We might stagger the release times. The guards will notice one horse, and will be seeking the other two. Their attention will be on the horses, not their riders. This will give us time to arrive at our destination.”

“Very well, let us send these steeds back to Rivendell, shall we?” said Estel, with a laugh. He took out a piece of parchment that he had prepared earlier. He showed it to Legolas and Thranduil, both of who were hard-pressed not to shout with laughter.

Legolas shook his head, saying, “Mellon nin, you certainly do flirt with danger, do you not?”

Thranduil said, “I am surprised your brothers have let you live so long.” chuckling as he read the parchment.

Estel laughed as he said, “I believe Adar sometimes feel the same way.”

Legolas snickered, saying “I expect to someday see your brothers tying you somewhere and leaving you.”

Estel laughed as he tied the parchment to the bridle of his horse. He sent the horse towards Rivendell. An hour later, it was Legolas’s turn; then Thranduil. The three pushed on, watching for the outlying Imladris Guard. All three had several pieces of ribbon with pins already on them. Each had their own color, signed with their own sigil. Blue for Estel, red for Thranduil, and green for Legolas. Yes, they were ready.

   





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List