Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

As Elladan and Elrohir exited the hall, they saw Estel’s steed enter the courtyard and start for the stables. As they entered the stable, they could see the parchment attached to the bridle. Elrohir took it, read it, then without a word, handed it to Elladan.

As Elladan read it, his face turned red. “Tithen muindor, wait until I get hold of you!”

The twins took the parchment and went in search of Elrond. They found him in the healing wing. As Elrond read the note, he knew Estel would be in for some rough times from his brothers, if they caught him. “Estel, you do live dangerously, ion nin,” Elrond thought.

Aloud, he merely said, “I hope the three of you keep the roughhousing outside where it belongs. I want no damage done to the furniture, and very minimal damage to living beings, be they human or elf. Is that clear?”

“Of course, Adar. We will not damage Estel TOO much,” said Elladan.

“Very well, I just hope Estel does not do damage to you,” responded Elrond. He took the note into the study, where Glorfindel was waiting.

The lord of Imladris smiled as he showed Glorfindel what Estel had penned. Glorfindel read it, then asked, “Did Elladan and Elrohir read this?”

“Aye, it made them want to have a talk with their brother,” responded Elrond.

Glorfindel nodded, and said, “Estel knew precisely what he was doing when he wrote this. Stop and think of their reaction.”

Elrond realized his seneschal was correct. He said admiringly, “You have taught him well. If the twins would stop and think, they would realize the taunts were meant to get them angry. It certainly worked!” He then re-read the message, and saw Glorfindel was correct in his assessment.

Glorfindel also re-read the message:

My brothers:

I have already bested you twice. The third time will be the same. I have no fear of either of you finding me.

If you hunt me the way you hunt game, you will either fall from your horses into the river or perhaps will be so noisy, I will hear you before you ever get near me.

Perhaps you will attempt to track me. I wish you luck. If memory serves, the last time you tried to track me, Elladan, a tree in some way purposely stepped in front of you and deliberately and maliciously hit you on the head.

Elrohir, you fared little better. You also tried, and failed, my brother. You should have noticed that bees’ nest. Those poor bees were minding their business, when you knocked it down as you tried to climb the tree. May I remind you I was NOT in that tree, but the next one.

Please make sure our blackberry tarts are ready when we ‘capture’ you both. We will leave you till the last.

We will not harm you. This I promise.

Estel Elrondion

Glorfindel knew that such a message would indeed make the twins’ want revenge and would send them haring after Estel. If they would only stop to think, they would realize the taunts were only words meant to stir them up.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List