Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Ch 10 A challenge

Later, as Elrond and his sons, along with Thranduil, Legolas and Glorfindel, sat in the study, they talked of how Estel managed to fool the twins - again.

“How did you slip in with the guard? There were no extra guards when we met with the healers and their party,” said Elladan.

Estel laughed, saying “Muindor nin, I was already with the healers. Adar mentioned that Aerandir was headed to Rivendell, with his brother. Thranduil and I rode out, met the party, and decided to join them. You did not notice me simply because I was the servant that was leading the horse that was carrying the litter. As we neared Rivendell, I took the place of Megilindir, and he took my place. After that, all I had to do was to stay out of sight.”

Elladan and Elrohir shook their heads. “I only have one question - why did Aerandir say you were able to help with his brother’s pain?” asked Elrohir.

Estel blushed slightly, and said, “I merely laid my hands on his leg and back, and it seemed to help.”

“Ah, ‘the hands of the king are those of a healer’’, quoted Glorfindel. “So therefore, you were able to help the young man begin healing.”

Elrond smiled at Estel, saying. “Aye, you must understand how to use the power you have, ion nin. I am very proud of you.”

Legolas spoke up. “Do you not have one more time to be escorted into Rivendell, mellon nin?”

“Aye, you are correct. However, I have a greater challenge. I know of a way into Rivendell that is not known to anyone else.”

“Estel,” said Elrond, “I, for one would like to know more of this unknown way.”

Elladan and Elrohir were whispering to each other, then Elrohir spoke up. “Shall we make a different wager? The forfeit shall remain the same, with the addition of a tray of blackberry tarts for each of the winners.”

“Ah,” sighed Estel, “I can taste them now. Sweet, sticky, blackberry tarts.” He closed his eyes as he imagined the taste of the tarts were his already.

Thranduil laughed, as he was aware of Estel’s weakness for the sweets. “It seems to me that you will win your wager, Estel.”

“I, too, believe you will be the winner, mellon nin,” said Legolas, with a smile.

“Hannon le, Your Majesties,” laughed Estel. “Legolas, will you join with me on this wager?”

Before Legolas could answer, Thranduil spoke. “May I also join your team? I would certainly enjoy blackberry tarts as well. As for my forfeit, I will give to Elladan and Elrohir a bottle of my finest wine to each should they be the winners.”

Legolas then said, “For my forfeit, I will give each of the twins new scabbards for their swords. Are all agreed?”

Glorfindel shook his head. “I believe you are too confident, Estel. Do you really believe you can get past the Guards, and into the house, without being seen?”

“Aye,” replied Estel quietly and with a surety that surprised everyone.

Megilindir spoke up. “I am sure the guards would be interested in joining the wager, if we may. It would make the watch go faster.”

Elrond then spoke. “I have an interesting addition to the wager. Why not have Estel and his group ‘tag’ whomever they come across. Those so tagged would go, say, to the library. They then would be out of the game. They would not be able to warn either side once they are tagged.”

All agreed, save Megilindir. “What of the Guard, Lord Glorfindel? We very much desire to participate, yet we must keep watch.”

Elladan spoke up. “Let them be tagged, stay on watch, and stay quiet unless danger arises. If necessary, they would alert as usual.”

Glorfindel agreed, saying, “That is an excellent idea. Do you think the guard will agree to this, Megilindir?”

“I believe they will agree, My Lord. The Guard will be happy. With your permission, I will go now and pass the information.” He bowed to the others, and departed.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List